Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuW3yTxZ1HE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0kZGNjdeME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf446vU7fQo

The Adams one is one of my favorite goals of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Eric Boulton is no joke one of the best skaters I've ever seen, especially for his size

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Steve Yzerman was not a clean hockey player

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

D C posted:

This rink in La Jolla, there is only two tiny locker rooms, which you get before games, post games you have to get changed on the benches behind the players benches, and yes, that is the mall Food Court overlooking it all.

haha I played a few college games there -- there actually is a locker room way in the back left of that picture but it's small and terrible

e: oh you said there are two locker rooms -- yeah that rink is awful, the ice is bad too

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 14, 2015

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Boxc's chirp of this kid in our championship game who was being a big old bitch "You have a really high voice." in the flattest matter of fact tone was one of my favorites.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I've been playing goalie all my life but I've been playing out this past year because beer league goalie sucks.

I got put in like the middle league I guess and was tearing it up because it was mostly older guys. So then they moved me up -- but gently caress the top league has a bunch of 20 year olds skating like Rico Fata all drat game. I'm not in shape for this at all. The skill level is also hilariously all over the place. One of my linemates scored 20 one year for Colorado College.

It's funny how much dirtier the middle league was. Every one of those loving d-men was like Brooks Orpik if you went anywhere near the crease. I don't miss that.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Goalie no showed our playoff game so I subbed (like ripped off all my poo poo and got dressed during warmups) using pads like two sizes and three inches on the legs too big for me (and a junior stick lol) but we won 4-2 and now my life as a skater will crumble I know it because every beer league goalie is poo poo and hey man you never told us you were a goalie

It was fun subbing after not playing goal since college though, especially because they didn't know I was a goalie so they shot from the dumbest angles for like a period and a half

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I saw a someone literally break their stick over another player's head.

In bantam.

Also witnessed a 20+ man (and woman) brawl between parents at the same rink that was started by an extra from Slap Shot (who was coaching one of the teams).

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

hahaha that was the loving executioner, no -- this was more of a baseball swing.

e: this video though, holy crap thank you this made my day -- the sound of it alone.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 26, 2016

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Bobby Ryan winning a board battle is definitely notable enough for its own youtube

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Retired Knoxville Ice Bears play all the time down here because there aren't enough leagues in Knoxville to have any real skill division (only 3 leagues right now). I played against this guy last night, just a D1 scratch: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=93734 -- impossible to take the puck off him if he really didn't want to give it up.

In goal I played against this guy a few seasons in a row in the Summer a-league http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=33805 -- I'm still convinced he could have played AHL, by far and away the best player I've ever played against (apparently he has some heart condition, which may explain why he slummed it a bit in the SPHL).

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 18, 2016

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
NCAA D3 is really good. People scoff at it but there's no D2 and so few D1 schools in general that D3 gets a ton of good players.

Even ACHA D1 is really loving good.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Thufir posted:

I think there are some really good players in even lower level ACHA because at that point it's not worth choosing your school based on their hockey program. This Vandy kid is crazy good, for example: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=302917

Yeah one of the better UT players http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=110171 was on my Summer team and he was really drat good. He's now a UFC fighter lol http://www.ufc.com/fighter/Scott-Holtzman?id=

He used to no joke play entire periods when we were short -- I've never seen endurance like that.

e: I went to Fitchburg State for a year and tried out for their D3 team. I thought I was hot poo poo starting for a decent Western Mass team and winning States one year but then there were goalies with like four inches on me and quicker crease movement. That was sobering.

Tremendous Taste posted:

If you'd believe it the Jon Marshall I played with was apparently actually a different D1 guy from WNY, sorry for slandering your name other guy!

Hockey is goofy

E: captain of a Major D1 squad playing low level rec jfc no wonder

This Jon Marshall was pretty nice. Actually almost all of the Ice Bears are cool about it and don't try too hard. It's kind of fun to play against them (although I'm completely out of my element playing out, let alone in goal). Like some guy who had like 200 PIM came and played last week and he was the nicest loving dude. I can't imagine how he got in so many fights. He was small too, like 5'10.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 18, 2016

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
if they're not wearing a cage just crouch down really low and whip your head and shoulders around like you're opening a giant can of pickles

because it's the cup

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I buy lovely sticks and just sauce all day on blatant shooting opps because I'm the beer league Adam Oates

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Cracked the poo poo out of my jaw on the post but we beat the team with pro/d1 ringers for the first time all year. I think they'll probably destroy us in the playoffs but it was good to get them once. For some reason I score against them a lot. Their goalie is pretty athletic but he makes some weird reads that are exploitable and they're kinda lazy on D knowing they can just pass it to Pro Player X and score 8.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ha, that's actually pretty funny. I just got into powerlifting at the beginning of the year (just did my first comp a couple weeks ago). My squat day is the same day as hockey :v:

I can't even walk up stairs after my squat days gently caress that

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Beat the team with the pro ringers again somehow. Every goalie is playing like poo poo against us and we've won 5 in a row to get into the finals (averaging 7 goals a game during that streak).

Whoever comes out of the losers bracket will have to beat us twice which honestly I can easily see happening but when everyone shows up our team is actually pretty deep

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Won the title against the ringer team :cool:

to be fair we have this young kid who might be playing junior next year and he dominated down the stretch

...maybe we are the ringer team :shobon:

(we're not gently caress those guys it was fun to skate the poo poo out of them because they were too cocky to care until the game was about over).

re: missing goalies, do you guys not just pester the poo poo out of the goalies who just played or were you the first game or something? Our league actually leaves a set of spare gear around too (I've actually had to play net a few times in the past couple of seasons never tell anyone you're actually a goalie).

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 20, 2016

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I get skate bite like a motherfucker but I strangle my feet Paul Coffey style so

Actually those velcro gel inserts are incredible, my foot would probably be amputated by now if not for those beauties

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
That's pretty cool. Honestly I never got it growing up at all playing goal in ice or roller out, and the gel pads have done the job for now.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Beer league PIM are like the ultimate bell curve -- nothing at the low levels, and nothing at the high levels, with massive amounts in between.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

AAB posted:

so thats when I know i'm getting good?

trust in the fucks given

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
gently caress shooting work on that sauce primaries all day

I think I'm going to choke my winger to death if he winds up on a 2 on 1 again while we're up like five and they've got a lovely replacement goalie in. I'd love to just come across and throw a hipper on him

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 8, 2016

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
if one of them is Buff please try not to die

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Watching definitely helped me, but then again I've been skating since I was like 3. It's not going to help as much as doing it, obviously, but it will help, especially once you reach a certain competency.

e: I mean it's like saying that reading won't help you write -- of course it does. Your brain is always taking that poo poo in.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 14, 2016

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
A team on a 0-15 won last night in my league, hope abounds. Their goalie is loving awful too and he got a shutout.

Also I can't buy a goal for poo poo this year but I'm getting like a billion assists, I think I've officially progressed into sage old man playmaker mode (that is, no loving legs and sauce it up to the junior kids).

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 21, 2016

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

z0331 posted:

This is my first season so I don't know what the standard is. Last game we had a full 6. I was a little surprised to have only 4 this week since I feel like there are a million alternates signed up but I guess none rsvp'd.

You'll probably see it shrink as the season goes on (and then everyone and their loving mother shows up for playoffs) and as you go up in level, but generally we play with 8-11 guys so 5f/3d - 6/3- 6/4 - 7/4 splits. This is about what you'll see in most beer leagues although some team showed up with like 15 guys last week and skated us like they were a prep school JV team and we made fun of them a lot (they did win tho our goalie played like rear end).

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I kinda like having 11 because I'm out of shape as gently caress and playing against too many 20 somethings. Give old T-Bone a shift off here and there.

Our playoffs are double elimination and we made it out of the loser's bracket and then beat the undefeated (playoff) team, but now we have to beat them again Wednesday.

I also found out that the USA Hockey hooking rule is different from the NHL one, I feel bad about bitching at the ref for calling me for this:

Per the NHL rules:
55.1 Hooking - Hooking is the act of using the stick in a manner that enables a player to restrain an opponent.
When a player is checking another in such a way that there is only stick-to-stick contact, such action is not to be penalized as hooking.

That's what I got called for, but in USA Hockey it's:

Per USA Hockey (PDF): (Page 74)
623. Hooking
(a) A minor or major penalty shall be assessed to a player who impedes the progress of the opponent by using the blade of their stick on the body or stick of the opponent.

e: altho this ref tried to argue with me that I got some hand when it was pure loving blade on blade (from the top straight down) so I'm pretty sure he's just an idiot

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I went through the legs Malkin style this week off the faceoff and scored :cool: -- back dman lined up way too far outside and I had a ton of time, quick tap through the opp center's legs, backhand forehand and pop

(and then tried it like every offensive zone draw after that of course while my wingers cursed at me)

We lost with a 54-24 shot advantage and I got stoned on a breakaway but it was all worth it

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
SAS Hockey Player Thread: he skates like a Starfury flies.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

bewbies posted:

All of our refs were awesome except for ironically enough the guy who was an AHL linesman. he eventually got fired from our beer league for repeatedly swearing at low-level players for God knows what reason. He also used to routinely and obnoxiously hit on my ex-girlfriend to the point where it made her uncomfortable, and she is a girl who takes a lot to make uncomfortable. I was unsurprised to discover his day job is cop

The one ref in our league who also does SPHL games is great because he refs beer league games like it's the SPHL and calls the game super seriously. One time someone argued with him about something and he quoted the USA Hockey rulebook verbatim and no one has said poo poo to him since, we're just happy when he's there.

The normal guys are god awful though, they really can't skate or follow the play well enough for the top league, and they constantly let games get out of hand.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
We win a lot but last night we lost in the shootout but it was the most fun I've had in a beer league game in a while, I did a beer league version of that Kane move where he just sits in front of the goalie deking and motorcycle kicking and it worked so I'm set for the year -- I also got two easy tap ins and didn't even go to the gym this week

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
When Ryan Smyth scores a goal in beer league:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/former-oilers-star-ryan-smyth-recovering-after-vicious-elbow-in-senior-men-s-game-1.4022252

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I would settle for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75nZ52c3J2U

also that's how much hooking there is in our league come playoffs

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Ball hockey is huge in Canada too, they have tournaments all the time. Apparently Alexander Burrows was the best ball hockey player ever, just like completely dominated tournaments.

It is a terrible sport though full of the absolute worst people.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I had some nasty lace bite on my new skates and these did wonders: https://www.amazon.com/Elite-Hockey-Lace-Bite-Gel/dp/B0087TY7XM

Might be worth a shot.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Ahhh, yeah I think you might want to at least consider a punch then. I would bring them to a good pro shop and see what they can do.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

bewbies posted:

We kicked our goalie off the team last year because he was so bad. I don't know where this puts us in the pantheon of assholes

It's tough. I feel like most goalies (and players quite frankly) know when they're playing over their head and will generally understand but yeah. There's a team in our league who I swear kicks off like two-three players a session hoping to pick up junior/pro ringers (beating their asses 3 years running in the playoffs has been extremely satisfying) but if your goaltending is repeatedly losing you games it's not very fun for anyone.

Our goalie who played for us the past 4 seasons actually lost us a decent amount of games but had the uncanny ability to turn it on in the playoffs so we still won the league a couple of times /shrug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Our Summer A league this year is going to be a draft which is cool because a lot of the junior/college/sphl guys play and any team stacking gets old fast. Unfortunately they kinda hosed up with captains. There are five teams, and while four of them have former pros as captains, one of them has the best goalie in the area....who is playing forward. He's not a bad forward but he's nowhere near the other four. Oh well, hopefully he drafts well. We get like 17-19 games games too which is pretty sweet for our league.