Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Green Submarine posted:

Extensive experimentation has led me to develop the following beer-before-hockey chart:

1-2 beers = nausea
3-7 beers = the sweet spot
7+ beers = wake up with injuries you don't remember sustaining

If I have beer before a game, it's usually 2 max. More than 2 and I'm falling down and making stupid passes more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Well, I meant besides those days. Obviously.

I get my sharpened almost religiously after 10 hours on the ice. For me lately, that's been about every 2 months. Mainly, if I start losing edges during games or when I do a hockey stop and my skates skip, then I know it's time.

Pro-Tip for Bay Area hockey goons: San Jose Sharpening and Profiling (across the street from Sharks Ice) is the best sharpening shop in the area.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
You're all a bunch of midgets. Except for D C, I think he's huge.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

soggybagel posted:

The issue i have is that they are clearly too high when i kneel down on one knee and its sticking up too high. It obviously covers the knee but they kind of get caught up in the hockey pants too. I'll go to the store tomorrow and see how things go with 13.

I'm 6' and wear 15's. I used to wear 14's in roller, 15's on ice because of that photo above. I've seen 2 guys get slices down there due to lack of protection.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Thufir posted:

edit: VVVV updated! VVVV

Warrior Hustlers are my shin pads and shoulder pads. That's right, I'm a Hustler.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

D C posted:

6'4 and I use 15" old Easton Z-Air's , over the tongue.

Just thought about it and I got a pair of the same shin guards in 14" when I was in Bantams, so I've been using the same kind of shin guard for 10 years, I think I got the 15" around the same time but they were too big then, I still use the 14"s for roller sometimes.

You must have all your height in your upper body. I have long legs, thus why I wear 15".

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

bronson17 posted:

Hoping somebody could help me out with a roller hockey question (I could've sworn there was a dedicated thread at one point but I couldn't find it anywhere in SAS, so I apologize if I missed it). I want to get a pair of skates, preferably Missions since that's what I used to have and I liked them. My problem is that I haven't been able to find a nearby skate shop to actually try them on, so I'm gonna likely have to order online. My shoe size is a 13, and my hockey skates are an 11.5 or a 12, but after googling some sizing charts it seems a size 13 shoe would be comparable to a size 13 Mission - not what I expected given how regular hockey skates tend to fit.

So my question is, does anyone have experience with the brand who can tell me what type of fit to expect (i.e. will a 13 mission fit my 13 foot), or even if I should be looking at another brand? Haven't played roller in forever so I'm pretty ignorant as to what's good these days.

Huge thanks to anybody that can help.

This is the dedicated roller and ice hockey thread.

when I played roller, I wore Mission skates and I wore a 9D skate. I wear a 10.5 shoe. I hope that helps. Places like Inlinewarehouse.com usually have a skate return policy, so if you order from them and the skates don't fit, you don't have to worry about being out a bunch of money.

Just make sure you bake them once you get them. That will really help mold them to your feet.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
First ice game for both of you?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

cenzo posted:

nah, roller here. i've been doing some subbing for this team last season and lots of drop in on Saturdays, but haven't been a regular in a league in a few years and haven't been to drop in for 3 weeks now.

i will of course let everyone know how terrible i do :D

Don't worry how you do, just have fun. That's the whole point!

Speaking of fun, I'm subbing tonight, puck drops at 11:15. And to top it off, the captain told me he needs me playing D. I hate playing D with a passion, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Alizee posted:

I finally have my first game of the season coming up this sunday night. I'm equally exciting and nervous because I don't want to be so terrible that my teammates are annoyed that I'm on the team. Some close friends are on the team and the rest are in my tiny faculty so I know most of the guys that I'm playing with, but still...

We're in Tier 2 which is the shittier of the 2 leagues. Anyone have any advice for what what I should be thinking/doing in my very first ever ice hockey game where I'm a lovely skater that can only stop one way and just learned crossovers 2 weeks ago?

I'm a forward.

P.S. 5'7 13" Bauer

My best advice: Take one aspect of your overall game and try and work on that during the game, wether it be passing, or shooting or focusing on positioning. Positioning is probably the biggest thing you can work on when just starting out. Do you know what forward position you'll be at? Wing or center?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I loving suck at Defense. I told the captain of the team that I subbed for last night that I won't sub anymore if he's going to put me out on D. I had 2 pucks hop over my stick at the offensive blue line that led to breakaways for the other team.

I did score a goal from a point shot, and a guy in front of the net tipped one of my shots in so I got an assist. That felt kinda good, but gently caress the rest of it.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Habibi posted:

At least you acknowledge sucking at it. Nothing is worse than partnering with a d-man who only thinks he knows what he's doing.

At least we didn't lose. We were actually up 3-1 at one point, then I let the puck by me, and the forward cut around me and took off. He was pretty fast so I couldn't catch up to him to stop him from scoring, so it was 3-2. The shot they fired to make it 3-3 was an awful soft goal by the goalie. He wasn't screened, and the shot came from about 35 feet out. He just misplayed it and in it went. My goal put us up 4-3, but with 57 seconds left they tied it up.

Funny thing was the captain of this team is a far better defenseman than he is a centerman, yet he insists on playing center. I'm a far better centerman than defenseman, I even told him that before the game, but, I'm not calling the shots, so... *shrugs*

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

Well turns out those lines are impossible because we just had two people quit after two games.

So we have 2 really slow/not so good hockey playing forwards on our team and our captain typically will do something like this if we have 2 forward lines:

Good - Really Good - Good
Bad - Mediocre - Bad

If we have 3 lines:
Good - Really Good - Mediocre
Bad - Good - Bad
Mediocre - Good - Mediocre

I usually center that second line. At least that's been the case lately. I told the bad guys to just dump the puck into the zone, I'll go get it and you guys just skate towards the net, maybe something will happen. To be honest, one of the bad guys is getting better at stickhandling so he's been able to hold on to the puck, but the other guy is plain awful. Can't skate, can't catch a pass, can't shoot.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

robcat posted:

I've seen a lot of guys wear those UnderArmor do-rag things under their helmet

That's what I wear, works great.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

zinc68 posted:

Getting a stick shaft to the back of the arm, DOES NOT FEEL WELL.

Pretty much goes from just above the elbow, to just before my armpit.

Do you not wear pads? I'm pretty sure my shoulder and elbow pads protect that very area you're showing.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I have had 5 hat tricks in my glorious ice hockey career, 3 of them have come when I've subbed for another team. Like last night's hatty.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

Yet you refuse to move up

Sand bagger:colbert:

:lol: Only one of my goals last night was actual skill. The second was because the goalie was awful and couldn't stop a trickler of a shot, and the third was a tip in. I actually am going to see if I can move up to a 4D team next season. Depends if they have room for me.

And they weren't Bambis, Mr. Zetterberg, they were a bunch of goons.

poser: You know any of the guys on Angry Beavers up in E?

trilljester fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 13, 2011

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

No, you going to play them or they jerks?

That's who we played last night. They have a couple of cockgobblers on their team who think it's OK to whack our goalie on his neck after the whistle blows. They also forgot they were playing hockey and decided that they were in a diving competition. I've never seen so many flagrant diving acts and we were getting the penalties!

Example: One of them was in our goalie's crease, elbowing him subtly, our goalie goes and pushes him out of the crease and the dude does a full on flop. Our goalie gets a roughing penalty.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Surfing Turtle posted:

I have a Sakic also and yea I shoot high as gently caress. I pass really well with it though. What is a good pattern for say a mid height shot with good passing?

On my Bauer One80, I have a Backstrom curve, and it gives me a strong mid to high shot, but passing and catching is great with it. Especially if you can do saucer passes. Speaking of those, I actually did one in a game last week and my linemate just had to catch it and smack it in for the goal (it was a 2 on 1), but he fumbled it away. :( He apologized afterwards, and I said we'll eventually get it. I was more surprised that I got the saucer pass to work in a game situation and not just practice!

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Green Submarine posted:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-blades.html

Dunno, that's what it said here. I've never really used Eastons, outside of a borrowed Heatley once, and I don't really like either Cammalleri or Zetterberg, so I decided not to choose.

My Easton stick has an Iginla curve. I absolutely love that curve, but it's not super great for top shelf shots. Granted, I can get the shot to get up there, it just requires a bit more effort. Other than that, it's a great curve for backhanders and passing.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I hate 2 week layoffs between games. And this is the 3rd one I've had to endure this season! It mostly sucks because the majority of the guys on my team do not practice so they come out after 2 weeks of not skating or anything hockey related and stink up the joint.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

soggybagel posted:

Where do you live and where in Southern California is this taking place? I've kind of ignored socal hockey chat but I'm moving back out to Los Angeles this January/February and I'd like to be able to play.

Gonna work at the outdoor ice rink in Santa Monica again?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
When you goons down in L.A. get good enough, you should come up to SJ and take on the SJ goons in a pickup game or something.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

D C posted:

I'm in for Team SoCal Goon.

D C is so good, he counts for 2 people vs. us SJ goons.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Lawnie posted:

please bring an airhorn for when your team scores. really rub it in.

Or a vuvezela!

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

On a side note to SJ goons, I think we're going to enter the California State Championship tournament in San Jose in April. This will be our first tournament as a team. Looking forward to it, even if we get crushed!

I played in that tournament last year, it was ridiculous. They did no policing of the different skill levels, so basically any team that didn't have 5 or 6 ringers got smoked. I heard that at the tournament this year they had 1 "friendly" match and moved teams that were way too good for the novice level up to the intermediate level. But still, the novices teams were stacked from top to bottom.

If you guys come, bring ringers, is what I'm trying to tell you.

As far as dedicated lines go for PP and PK, the team I sub for needs to do this. We were up 2-1 late in the 3rd when we got a penalty against us. We went with rotation and the absolute WORST line was due to go out there for the PK. The other team promptly tied the game. Worst part of it was there were 3 or 4 solid chances to clear the puck down and that line could not even wrist the puck clear. It was pathetic. Our goalie really laid into the team after the game, because that's like the third game in a row that they should have won, but tied because they can't kill penalties.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Do the teams hang out between/after games? Or do they all pretty much just hang out by themselves? The last tournament I was at, was for soccer when I was 14...

Sharks Ice has a really nice bar upstairs that overlooks 3 of the rinks, so a lot of teams hang out up there. And since it's mainly beer leaguers from San Jose, everyone knows somebody, it's all good.

Awesome Animals posted:

I think it would do wonders to just explain the basic Box PK and tell them not to break it, and not to chase the puck.

Yeah, this is such a hard concept to get across to others. I actually worked on that at the last stick and puck session I went to with some teammates on my regular team. Our game last night had us on the PK once and we killed it without giving up a single shot because everyone stayed in the box and moved with the other team, it was a thing of beauty.

This team I sub for looked like a bunch of 7 year olds playing soccer, chasing the ball (in this case, puck) around. No box, no positioning, just chaos.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

sevorak posted:

Do you sub for my EEE team? Cause that's a pretty accurate description of how we played last night after the first. Awesome start got us up two goals and then we all got tired and let them walk all over us in the latter half of the game. We had a three game streak going too.

The schedulers keeps giving us two week breaks in between games and some of the guys don't skate at all between games and can't do anything in the game back. We do get to play at HP Pavilion in a few weeks though, so I'll learn how it feels to fall over NHL boards.

Nope, I sub for Miz up in E division. What team are you in EEE? My normal team is in the EEE division as well.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

So this was fun game...

Wow, and Harry Potter wasn't calling that game. That looks like a typical Harry Potter penalty sheet.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I have 2 tip in goals this season so far. One of them was one of those that you see in the pros, where I tipped a shot that was about chest high down and beat the goalie 5 hole. The other was a redirect tip where the goalie was in the right position for the initial shot, and I tipped it so it beat him far side.

The key to getting better at it is practice practice practice, like everyone said. You can't be afraid to get hit by the puck either, that's why we wear all the gear, so pucks don't hurt as much. They still don't feel good when you get one in the stomach though.

In other news, I'm playing a game at the Tank tomorrow night. I love playing on NHL-quality ice, it's so much better than the practice ice.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

sevorak posted:

My team won 3-0 at HP Pavilion last night. The ice didn't seem that much better than our normal rink, but drat those benches are high. The ref was calling everything, and the other team got a team game misconduct for 10 minors (doesn't actually mean anything except affecting the tiebreaker for playoff spots). A couple of them were pretty dirty, including a nasty slash that left one of our players on the ice for a few minutes with 14 seconds left in the game, but most of them were ticky tack calls.

We're currently tied for second in our league after being absolute last with a 1-15 record over the summer. What a difference a few months of improving and replacing a few players does.

Hahhahahaha, did you have Harry Potter and the small Asian girl refs? We had them for our game against Team X and actually Harry Potter was being cool until the second period where he called 2 BS penalties on us, then a "makeup" call on Team X to have a glorious 4 on 3 in which they took the lead 2-1 on a rebound.

We tied the game with 49 seconds left in regulation, and then with about 15 seconds left, I redirected a shot from the point on net, but the goalie got the very last inch of his right pad on it to prevent it from going in. That would have been a total steal of a win.

Still, lots of fun to play at HP. We're gunning for you sevorak. Revenge shall be ours!

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

xzzy posted:

The guys I play with are chugging beers at midnight on a work night.

It's a sedative, it helps you sleep. :science:

Our team has 3 or 4 dedicated gently caress-it-I'm-drinking-at-any-time players, me being one of those. My designated job on the team is to pick up the coupon after the game if we win. The 3 pitchers for the price of 2 coupon.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Thufir posted:

A lot of guys on my team were surprised when I showed up with beer for our 2nd game as a team, and then nobody else ever brought any :(

That's bush league. I would leave that team immediately.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

Our rink has a bar, this is the best and worst thing sometimes.

It's actually the best thing.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

sevorak posted:

This is true. The buy two pitchers get the third free coupon you get if you win makes it even better.

Yup, and most of the people who work the bar are really cool.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I'd be happy to take a minor penalty for boarding a guy with pink laces.

Black or white, gents.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

WouldDesk posted:

Also "tucks in jersey"

The back of my jersey tucks into my pants. It's the same as how Malkin has his jersey. I don't mind it, but I've had refs ask me what my number was because they couldn't read it properly.

Oh, and last night I scored probably my best beer league goal yet. I blocked a clearing attempt, passed it to the D, who returned the puck and skated right in front of me, I waited a half second, fired and beat the goalie top shelf blocker side. I'm actually starting to feel a bit more confident in my game these days. Just feeling good out there on the skates, not exhausted and spent by the third period.

trilljester fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 12, 2011

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
San Jose goons: You know what sucks? Playing center on Center ice when you have 3 sets of wings, and only 2 centers. My legs are toast today. But we won. :-)

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

What does being on center have to do with that?

lovely ice, wider rink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

Its NHL sized:ssh:

Is it? Everyone tells me it's wider because of the figure skating and curling and poo poo.