Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Yeah, I have been doing bike riding and some short sprints on stairs. I need to try to start doing abdominal exercises, try to build that endurance up more. I can go pretty much a whole game and not be dead, but I definitely start to slow down by the third period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
In my game last night, I was centering a line with a guy who is a really decent stickhandler, but he NEVER passes. Infuritating when you get a strong 2 on 2 rush into the offensive zone with him, and he stops up short at the blue line and tries to stickhandle by the D guy, gets poked check which leads to a rush up the ice the other way. I was wide open, he just needed to fire it over to me and I could have had a one timer on the goalie. Maybe not a goal, but at least a decent scoring chance. He does this all game long. Tries to stickhandle around 2 or 3 guys, loses the puck, and lazily backchecks. I'm going to tell the captain of that team not to put this guy on my line anymore.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

bigmike posted:

Some guys are dicks, but other guys just have terrible vision when they have the puck. Don't be afraid to call for the puck, either. When I'm in traffic and am not able to see the floor well, I'll rely on my teammates to yell to me where to move the puck to.

Talk to him on the bench and say something like, "where do you want me to be on those 2 on 2 rushes?" It's kind of passive aggressive way of telling him to pass you the loving puck without sounding like a dick.

I think this guy is part dick, part narrow vision. He gets pissy if you don't pass it to him on an outlet pass from our D-zone. I'll definitely try your verbage with him, see if that helps.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Funkutron5000 posted:

Game 7 of my summer season is tonight. Maybe we can win? No way in hell.

We're currently being outshot 228-183 and outscored 33-12 on the season. We are really, really, really loving bad.

Sounds like you guys are playing in the wrong division. Are there lower divisions you can move down to?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Funkutron5000 posted:

This is the team's normal level. It's also not my normal team as they decided to not play for the summer. Funny thing is, I'm the one playing a division up and I'm easily in the top half of the skaters on the team. They did decent in their winter season, too. Our goalie has given up a lot of really soft goals but that doesn't help explain being minus 40ish in shots over six games. I think that comes from regularly having a total of 10 people there while the other team brings 13 or so. We're old and we get tired.

Ahhh yeah, it's tough to field 13 during the summer league season. And skating with 10 is real tough when you're old and tired. (That's me).

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

My girlfriend basically hates hockey. That makes hockey nights into drink-with-the-dudes night. I can dig it.

e: Also, when she goes to games, I play like rear end. I banned her from going (not really).

OK, I don't want to give you life advice here buddy, but if she ain't down with hockey, she better be smoking hot.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Please. My standards are just fine. :v:

Well, hooking up with a girl that doesn't like hockey makes me question it, that's all. :)

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I get my 11 stitches out of my shoulder today. Took a skate -under- my right shoulder pad as I followed a guy sliding into the boards. One in a million cut and I got it. Only missed two games though, and played this past Saturday and last night (two games).

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
My goal celebration = Raise my hands above my head and try not to slam into the boards since I score mostly on rushes. Then fist bump my linemates. I think anything beyond that is a little excessive, except if it's a playoff game or tournament or something meaningful.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I had a tip-in goal last night, which my absolute favorites to score. Redirecting the puck to where the goalie isn't and actually scoring, it's really the best feeling. I also got shoved by a D into the path of my defensemen's bomb of a shot from the point that was headed into the net and I blocked the shot with the underside of my forearm where the elbow pad isn't. OUCH.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Chemmy posted:

If your skate budget is $150 there'll be plenty of stuff you can afford even at a brick and mortar store.

Try on lots of brands: Bauer, CCM, Graf, etc. to see what fits you best.

Yeah seconding this. When I first went to get ice skates, I wanted to get Bauers, but it turned out that they were too narrow for my feet. Ended up getting CCMs because they felt the best.

Brands to avoid? I've heard bad things about Easton and Mission ice skates, is that true for others as well?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
A guy on my team was saying that guys around my build (6'0, 200 lbs.) should go with a 5/8" cut on my skates. I have been getting 1/2", would I see much a difference with 5/8?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

JetsGuy posted:

That's really funny, because my personal instructor told me to do the exact opposite. I had em at 1/2, and she suggested getting down to 3/8 to get a better grip on the ice. I'm 6'0" and 210.

EDIT:
It's not a *huge* difference, but I like the 3/8.

So I did a bit of research there based on the links posted in this thread and talking with the guy who sharpens my skates. He said 3/8 would work fine for me, and yes, I would get really nice grip, but it would cost me speed, especially with my weight since the skates would be digging in harder. He said next sharpen, try 5/8 and if I was wiping out more or what not, then go with 3/8. Worth a shot, I suppose!

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

JetsGuy posted:

One thing to point out is that whenever you get your skates sharpened to a new hollow, it takes a little time to get used to it. Obviously, the better you are, the quicker that time is. Don't be surprised if you fall a little more at first as you're getting used to your hollow.

I faceplanted my first stop because I stopped much more quickly than I'm used to and momentum always wins.

When I first got my skates, I tried a FBV cut of 90/75 or maybe it was 95/75? I don't remember exactly, but I ended up hating the cut because while I got more speed, my edges dulled within about 3-4 hours of ice time and I couldn't turn as tight as I could with a regular hollow cut.

I'm going to definitely try 5/8 at the start of next season and try and get used to it as fast as possible. We're in playoffs right now, not the best time to change cuts. :)

trilljester fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 20, 2012

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
We had a game changer in our second round playoff game on Saturday night. Maybe you guys who ref can answer this for me, because we're still baffled by it.

So our D guy blasts a shot from the point, it gets through to the goalie who stops most of the puck, but it squeezes through in between his armpit and drops down to the ice behind him. He freezes and the puck is slowly rolling into the net. My linemate sees this, and dives forward, hitting the puck with his stick, puck goes in.

Ref immediately skates over and waves off the goal for our guy being in the crease. Two things:

1. This shot came on a 3 on 2 rush, me, winger, and the D guy who I dropped the pass to for the booming shot.

2. Neither I or my winger were anywhere near the crease when the shot came.

My understanding is that as soon as the goalie touches the puck, and the puck is loose, it's fair game, is that correct?

Anyways, after that goal was waved off, the other team scored about 2 minutes later, which turned out to be the game winner. We were up 3-1 at one point, and while I make no excuses for us giving up that lead, that goal that was waved off would have put momentum back on our side. I don't normally bitch about the refs, but I gotta believe this was a bad call.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

bewbies posted:

USA hockey rule on the crease is that any time any opposing player is anywhere in the crease at any time without the puck it is a whistle and a faceoff, no exceptions (this is an area where it differs from the NHL, where you can be in the crease as long as you're not messing with the goalie). If no one on your team was ever in the crease then it was a blown call, but if someone was at any time prior to the shot being taken then it was correct.

Yeah, I dropped pass to my D man and charged the net, my winger went straight for the net but didn't get to the crease before the shot came, so I'm calling it a blown call based on your description of the rule.

Once the puck is dropped by the goalie, and the ref hasn't blown it dead, it's fair game though, right? anyone can go in the crease to tap it in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Aniki posted:

Edit: I'm not sure about the validity of a goal before the whistle, but it would probably be up the ref's descretion or like I said before, maybe he used the crease violation to cover up for a mistake that he made?

Normally they stand down below the goal line to make these calls, and the ref who waved it off was over on the half boards, so it's definitely a possibility that he missed the call and then used the crease violation to cover that up.

Ahhh well, can't cry over spilled milk, I just normally am not used to the refs making that bad of a mistake.