Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

titanium posted:

This first vid I'm at an elite invite camp with some of the UofM Gophers at least one of which played in the world juniors.
Hahaha like 50% of those shots go high and wide, judging by the sound of the glass. Picking corners :argh:

titanium posted:

This second vid is a decently skilled invite skate I do every Monday night in the summer.
Couple of questions:
Did you start as a goalie or did you make the switch from a skater position?
If you were a skater, was it a weird adjustment getting used to the skates?
Is it fun to go sliding around all willy nilly? That second vid looks like a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

gently caress me I might have actually found a team to play with this winter and I am so woefully out of shape I almost feel ashamed to sign up. God I hope they're not too good (I also hope they don't suck).

I haven't laced up in over a year, my poo poo has been sitting in storage all this time. I cleaned it before it went in but I have a feeling it's going to need it again, plus a new mask and stick and ahhh hockey is expensive but I am so excited.

Toe to heel, black tape, wax and smooth with paper towel snipe corners every day :hellyeah:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

The trophy for our division was about the size of a pint glass and the gold paint inside started flaking off when we poured beer into it in the locker room.

We still drank from it. Nobody (immediately) got sick.

A 30 pound keg cup sounds glorious.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I have always had problems stopping left as well, something about translating the motions of the right stop to the other side just fails in my brain. Even standing still, sliding my skate across the ice to dull the blade after a sharpening or whatever, it feels completely natural on the right foot and completely foreign on the left.

Anything right-related I can do smooth as silk, and my left crossovers and forward-to-backwards transitions are OK, but god help me if I have to stop.

The more I think about it the more I fear getting back in to hockey, haha. WHAT IF I AM SO BAD NOW :ohdear:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Me: "Hey have you heard anything from that guy in your class about the hockey team?"
GF: "I will ask."
~
GF: "He called, you have a game tomorrow night."
Me: :catstare:

I am fuckered. Still have to get a new visor, mouth guard, sharpen my skates, and somehow complete 1-2 months of conditioning in the next 24 hours!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Our league banned alcohol in the locker room after one team had a party with strippers. We just had to be more secretive after that, no empties in the trash can, etc.

We got in trouble once for going on the ice too early so we bought the rink rat a case of beer and all was forgiven.

Basically it's impossible to get rid of, but the league just covers their asses in case something stupid happens.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Sticks: $80
Tape and wax and jersey and poo poo: $40
New helmet: $85
League fees: $510
Hockey tonight: Priceless

Send me the royalties when they roll in, Visa.

(I am going to suck so, so bad on the ice. I hope my addiction to NHL12 has maintained my hockey sense at least.)

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

True, true.

At least I don't have to worry about loving hipchecks of doom?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Well we lost 7-2, but in our defence the other team was much better. Passing circles around us, really hard puck pressure, etc etc.

I think I was like -3 or -4 and I only really have an excuse for one, but I'm hoping my worst game is behind me and the best team is behind us. Guess we'll see.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Dangerllama posted:

Has anyone picked up the "mystery stick 2-pack" pack from hockeymonkey? My Warrior Kronik is starting to chip in the toe, and my Easton Typhoon is older than half of the Avs roster, so I'm debating just getting two random sticks.

Any other recommendations? I'd like to spend less than $120-$130 on a new stick.

I got an Easton Synergy SE2 and a Bauer Supreme One55 for $80 + tax at SportChek, they were having a sale. Dunno how wide-spread said sale is, though. Also depends what level of hockey you are playing, these suit my beer league fine.

e: Both for $80+tax, not each.

Pleads fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 25, 2011

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Ahaha... I have an early game on the evening where 3 projects, 2 weeks each in the making are being run. We'll have trouble enough getting enough resources for the day.

:shepface: Sorry boss, ducking out early for hockey.

He's gonna love it when I tell him.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

A truly worthy hockey child would deflect it smartly into the corner for the defence to retrieve.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

You dudes should probably NWS the gaping wounds you've been posting.

Some dude in the first game was debating putting on his cage, decided not to, then caught a stick above the eye and had to leave the game because he couldn't see through the blood. Will be interesting to see if the cage is on this Wednesday.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Loqieu posted:

Worse yet, a guy on both my teams is also part of a third league. That means he has 5 games next week!

That would be so awesome. I'm excited for the end of October when we have 3 games in 7 nights. Playing hockey owns.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I wear my shin pads inside the tongue but I loosely tape around my ankle (bad I know) so nothing is getting between them anyhow.

No idea on my length, I'll check that when I get home :science: for science :science:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I had a similar thing happen with my bony loving elbow and a lovely elbow pad, basically just hit my elbow onto the ice from 4 feet up with all my weight behind it. Now my elbow feels weird whenever it rests on something for too long, but again it's so goddamn bony that it hits and touches virtually everything and is super irritating.

Still haven't bought new elbow pads, haven't found anything yet with enough cushion to make it worthwhile.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Haha I am so hosed tonight. Worked over 12 hours yesterday, got home and had a quick bite to eat and went to bed but could not get to sleep until 12:30. Woke up at 4:30 to go back in to work, I might have time for a 1 hour nap at lunch but otherwise I'll be working until ~6:30 when I leave to go straight to a 7:30 hockey game.

Aside from drinking a lot of water and popping a 5-hour energy on the drive over, any other suggestions on how to keep my body alive tonight?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I usually don't get much more sleep than 4-5 hours each night anyways, but working so long has me stressed out and my muscles already feel like jello which is where most of my concern is coming from. Do you know of any studies that compare high-stress people versus chill dudes?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

If I had been awake for 48 hours I would have even extra motivation to finish the marathon more quickly in order to get the scientists off my back so I could get a fuckin nap.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

You are me last week, same exact timeframe. The dread and excitement is awesome :allears:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

gently caress, we had a pretty even game but lost 2-1 off two poo poo bounces in front of the net, the winner with 18 seconds left in the game. Our goalie was insane to keep us in it.

At least I was +/-0 instead of -4 like last game. So tired now.

All of my passes feel so weak, I think I'm using too much of the toe of my stick so it tends to flip up rather than get the bullet I want. I was using an open curve for the first bit as defence, then switched to a closed curve and higher (lower? more stiff, whatever) flex stick and that helped a bit.

Some upper body strength would help, too :haw: Way too out of shape right now.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

cenzo posted:

can someone explain why this is a bad call? I feel stupid for immediately thinking "this is not a goal."

I just assumed it was because the guy very obviously gloving it into the net was the goon posting the vid in the first place.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I poke checked a guy yesterday as he took a slap shot and I got hit in the chest with pieces of broken stick. I was like "gently caress MY NEW STICK" but then I heard him go "gently caress MY NEW STICK" and saw my stick was unscathed.

:smug:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

19 o'clock posted:

Also played center on the penalty kill. First face-off in years. The other player was surprised when I picked up his stick and turned my body into him. I had a big lovely grin all over my face when I pulled that one for a kick-pass to my defense.
Ahh the good old left stick counter-clockwise, right stick forwards NHL12 win... :haw:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

It's like a bumble bee because he's always buzzing around the net.

Buzz buzz buzzy buzz buzz.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

We have a game on (Canadian) Thanksgiving, which is also the day before a bunch of guys on our team go into a week of exams. Going to be a painfully short bench.

I think everyone else on my team is a vet student, but they sure don't take care of themselves. The first game a guy with no visor took a stick 1/2 an inch above the eye and left the game because he could not see through the blood.

Last night a guy was pulled down on a breakaway and he chipped two of his front teeth on the ice. Probably lucky it wasn't worse, considering he had no visor or mouthguard. No mouthguard means he's not covered under the league insurance, but he's a student so whatever insurance his parents have should still cover him.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Any time there has been a fight in my beer league games, only the two guys on the ice are interested in it so nobody else has to hug and grapple and poo poo, we all just stand around going "This is loving stupid, we're like div 7, what are you proving." and then they fall over quickly because fighting on skates is hard and that's about all.

I'm in a new league with a bunch of farmers and poo poo though so maybe there will be a bench clearing brawl at some point. No worries, I've got a cage :smug:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

It's probably just called something else now.

(I have the same flutter problem and it is definitely because my technique is terrible, actively working on improving it for tonight's game)

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

^^^ Holy cow, speaking of new sticks...

At the start of the season I had one stick remaining, an old composite Bauer, so I bought a new Bauer and a new Easton since Sport Check had a sale and I am cheap.

I started off using the old Bauer and the new Easton, and most of my clears and passes were flippy dribbling poo poo that caused a bunch of turnovers. Meanwhile I'd been using the new Bauer at home for wrist exercise and hand-eye stuff, and developed a man-crush on it. So last night I kicked the Easton to the curb and used the new Bauer, and whether it was the stick or just a mental thing, I had a shitload more power on everything.

It flexes like nobody's business and I finally felt I was getting use out of loading it. Love this thing. And my shots in the warmup owned bones.

I'm averaging one shot every 5 games so far so I am very excited for my next shot in 3-4 games.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Apparently I missed a game last night that was not in the schedule until a day or two ago :argh: Need to get myself on the emergency call list cause only 8 dudes showed up, so I'm not the only one who did not know about it.

Still have a game tonight though.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I think mine are Itech, the yellow mesh ones with the velcro flappies that always stick to each other. They're about 5 years old and still work great; one time I had to have the jock strap portion sewn back onto the shorts part, and the velcro tabs are starting to fray around the edges on their connection with the shorts part, but after 5 years they've lasted perfectly fine for the minimal price.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Dangerllama posted:

6am drop-in. 8" of new snow from last night and no one showed up but me :iiam:

That would rule so hard.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I spent basically an entire shift fighting a guy for position in front of our net last night, I think I was more gassed at the end of that than any of my end-to-end rushing shifts.

The ref was very hawkish in walking us, I guess because most of the time any front-of-net engagement that lasts longer than 5 seconds in our league usually ends up in some sort of penalty.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Is Laura Stamm the woman that was featured on HNIC a while back where NHL players go to her for improvements to their stride? They showed some dude's before and after and he was ridiculously faster and more stable after a few weeks with her.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I just spent an hour at work watching Pavel Datsyuk shootout/breakaway goals on Youtube. Thank you, good sir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkmqJHANjgk

He makes them look so easy :allears:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I haven't had a breakaway in forever, playing D sucks :( I used to get them all the time off the old "rush the point, block shot into the neutral zone, off to the races" play. Most of the time I would do forehand to backhand while kind of cutting across.

If I ever get a clear break again I'm going to try something fancy and probably gently caress it up. I really want to try the Omark/Datsyuk flip, I think it would work fantastically against beer league goalies.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I bought $90 shin guards this week because I block shots a lot, and also my knee is lame and they had really good padding. They wrap around to my calf with a curved piece of plastic as well, so it's fantastic protection.

They replace low-budget $20 pads, and even though the padding makes them kind of awkward and bulky, they are awesome. No more limping to work the next day due to a slapper in the shin. (now I just limp from by bum knee)

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Mine are the Bauer X 41 or something. I don't think calf protection is normal for beer league, but I've taken enough stingers off the calf that I just said gently caress it.

One the one hand, it's beer league, I don't need pro poo poo, but on the other hand, it's beer league, I don't want to limp for a week after every game.

I also am on the verge of dropping $70-$100 on elbow pads because the cheap ones don't have enough protection for my boney elbows and I've already done minor nerve damage to one elbow by falling.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

If I put all of my hockey stuff into my backpack where will I keep my Dunkaroos?

I was going to miss a game this weekend due to a knee injury but the game was canceled, apparently! Hooray!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

If it's organized enough to have a draft it's organized enough to have a commissioner or something you can go to to get moved to a more-fun team. Otherwise ask for your money back.