Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

shyguy posted:

Just got a pair of Reebok 4K inline skates today. They're nowhere near my ice Grafs, but they're pretty good nonetheless.

I also just found both an ice rink and a public outdoor roller hockey rink both ~10 minutes from where I'm stationed. Today was a good day.

Thats pretty sweet. Im in an opposite position as my inlines are nicer than my ice skates. I got my ice skates when I started playing hockey again not knowing how much I would be playing so they were sub $200 Bauer Vapors. I ended up playing a lot more inline and buying the top of the line bauer vapors at the time which were about $230 or so and now Im playing more ice which is prompting a new ice skate purchase.

And as far as barefeet go, I dont think there is really a significant difference between bare feet and socks spreading fungus etc. No matter what your feet are sweating and getting into your skate if you have a sock on or not. I wear a pair of thin dress socks that breathe well. I cant stand trying to get my foot into my boot barefoot because it generally sticks and pulls leg hair. Ive played a few times without socks just because I forgot them and I didnt really notice a difference. If anything I was annoyed how I could feel a loose thread or seam. Most hockey skates are stinky because of how people take care of them. If you air your stuff out it will make a huge difference than those guys who just take their stuff off, put it in their bag and leave it until next game.

Verman fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I was playing rat today at johnny's and this new kid showed up. His first shift lasts about 7 minutes, possibly 30 seconds total skating time. Couldn't stop, skate hard, turn, handle the puck, or keep his head up. During the skate on several occasions, he ran into his teammates and was fighting with them for the puck before realizing they were on the same team. He also went for the puck while our goalie was playing the puck behind the net and they ran into each other. In addition, he was constantly within a 2 foot range of teammates and loving up just about every play by stealing passes, blocking our forwards from getting into the zone, and was constantly offsides.

I understand that the only way to get better is to play but for gods sake, take a learn to play class or just pay attention to the game. I would have been really pissed off if I were one of the guys who was taken down.

On a side note, I got two goals. One from a beautiful tic-tac-toe play starting with our defenseman who shoot/passed to a player to the right of the goalie and then one timed it to me (in the back door) and roofed it, all one timed passes. Even the other team congratulated us on the goal. The other was from a breakaway where I received a great pass across the neutral zone and went straight at the goalie with one of my favorite fakes. Leaving my lower hand in position, I loosened my grip and pulled my stick through my hands like a pool cue (leaving the puck gliding straight), veered my body right and then returned my stick to the puck and put it in on the far side.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I just use a cheap CCM 36" bag that I picked up for $20. Its smallish, light fits all of my ice stuff, has one big compartment and a side pouch. Really basic and

I put my jerseys/tape/anything clean in the pouch and everything else in the big compartment. I dont have a problem carrying it around, I usually take it on public transportation and my gear isnt really that heavy.

I wouldnt mind a backpack bag, but sometimes they seem a little cumbersome. The wheeled bags seem nice but get heavier and arent that much fun to carry.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

coldwind posted:

They also hate being called faggots.

... and getting squirted by a water bottle when they skate by.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
My brother in law is a year older than I am and plays in the AHL/NHL and is considered a veteran in the AHL. He is 28. A lot of careers start to taper off around 30, mostly the guys who don't make enough of a name for themselves in the NHL and don't feel like destroying their bodies for a little bit of money in the AHL when they can use their connections/education (lol) to make more with less injury. It is still a little weird to see someone so close to me basically living out my childhood dream.

Playing pro is super taxing on players though aside from just the physicality/injury aspect. Constantly moving and traveling, being away from home and your family. If you are an AHL player its even harder because not only are you moving to the AHL city for the season, but you have a high likely hood of getting traded or called up. My sister/bro in law have moved from grand rapids, portland maine, syracuse NY, Chicago, and rochester NY. Every august/september he goes to camp, they move to the city that hes playing in that season. When he gets called up, she stays in the AHL city while he is up. In april/may they move back to their house in Michigan and relax all summer. So much traveling and moving. Most times they dont come home for christmas or thanksgiving because the league only gives them a day or two off at most.

Then again, I cant imagine signing a big contract. I would travel every day for a year and allow people to hit me all day long for that kind of money, just tell me where to sign.

Verman fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 8, 2011

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
One of my favorite drills is to practice shooting on the net with your body positioned behind the goal line.

Forehand, Backhand, etc. Really improves accurracy, forces you to try shooting from an akward angle considering all you see is the side of the net when shooting, it forces you to blindly figure out how to make the shot without having to see it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Went and played pickup yesterday. The ice was terrible, Im pretty certain the zamboni didn't even scrape any decree of ice, I think it just put down water.

In addition to having really rough ice to start, I hit a hole while skating backwards on D and slid on my rear end. It was also relatively warm so the ice was pretty soft, making hard turns a little suspect. I lost edges several times given my skates are on a new sharpening within the last 2 sessions I've skated.

Overall it was a pretty low scoring skate but pretty high paced. I couldn't find the net on anything and I had 2 really good deflections. Its nice to see the same guys week after week and you eventually know how everyone plays. I had a lot of fun again and I cant wait to get into a league on ice though my roller league is about to start up again.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
The dude is really fast and agile, but its always funny seeing videos like that. And it sucks skating at rinks after they have power skating sessions. Nothing like crazy grooves dug into the ice to try and play a game on.

One of my favorite videos is stickhandling beyond belief with sean skinner. Focuses more on stickhandling and skating with the puck than just skating alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEiLh0vwd7c

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I tape my stick with a strip on the bottom, then from near toe to near heel so that the bottom edge essentially has two layers of tape and is protected more.

When waxing, I just use a bar of sex wax (durr hurr the name) its soft enough so that when you put it on, you dont really have to press too hard. Heres my pro trick - go into the locker room bathroom and use the electric hand dryer to further soften the wax and then press it in with your hands going with the direction of the tape. My sticks are basically sealed and NEVER get wet with snow build up or soaking penetration. They also hold the puck very well. Im always amazed by people who don't wax their blades. I usually get about 10 hours worth of play before I consider re taping.

As far as color goes, I always use black tape for the blade and white for the top. The white keeps your gloves cleaner looking and the black on bottom hides the puck.

When it comes to socks the Reebok edge socks are nice, quite a bit thinner and seem to breathe pretty easily. Knit socks seem to keep me hot and if they get wet they feel heavier. The edge socks certainly dont have the durability factor that knit socks do though. Nearly everyone who uses them for drop in has holes worn in the knees. Its comparable to wearing a performance shirt vs wearing a sweater on your legs.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Just found out our summer inline league starts next monday. Im super pumped which is a little odd since Ive been playing ice lately. Finally Im on a team of guys that were assembled rather than being put together by the league coordinators. We should have a really solid team and hopefully finish somewhere in the middle of the pack at the very least.

As for blocking shots, its situational. If the guy is winding up for a well prepared slap shot, I will usually try to either get my legs involved or my stick. If its an unprepared snap shot or something, I might take a knee but I always turn my face and its personally not worth getting hit in the face/neck area. Im not getting paid and if I go to the hospital or dentist, my team isnt paying my co-pay. Unless you're getting paid, I dont really see sacrificing your safety beyond the normal hockey expectations.

On a random side note, my brother in law just returned from the IIHF World Men's Championship in Slovakia with 2 goals and an assist in the prelims. Hopefully hes got some new sticks for me when I see them in July. If only he would start using a lower flex so that I could get more out of my wrist shots. Maybe he can sacrifice his professional career for my beer league wrist shot. BTW pro-stock sticks weigh nothing. Im pretty sure they are filled with helium.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Petit.Conan posted:

So I'm 6'4" and I would like to buckle down a get a pair of better quality sticks.

I hate however, putting those wood shaft extensions. I find they kind of mess with the balance and flex.

Easton sticks tend to be some of the longest uncut, I know a lot of pros will have longer sticks custom made but Im not sure about if they are readily available to the general public. There really is no better feeling than a 1 piece stick without any plugs or extensions.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
RBK 4k shinguards which are amazing. The removable liner is nice and they stay in place. Not super high level but way nicer than my old Tour shinguards which finally died this past summer.

8k prostock helmet with cage. If I didnt get it for free I would probably do 4k level. but drat the padding on the inside is so comfy.

Easton EQ 3 Gloves. Easton gloves are my favorite if only they came with the Eagle palms. I have a set of RBK 8k sitting around from the AHL all star game that feel too bulky and tight on my hands despite being 14s. They look like a red white and blue robocop hand.

I need new pants, old pair of koho that really dont offer much pretection other than in the top of the thigh. I will probably spend around $100 for a pair that should last me a Loooong time.

Mid tier stuff is good for beer leagues, price point and durability will ususally be right in the sweet spot. If you are playing no-hit, dont go crazy on the shoulder pads unless you want to. I see shin guards being one of the most important things to invest in since they see the most action with your gloves seeing about the same. Pants are up to you, expensive pants last longer most times but cost more and offer more protection.

The biggest differences in low-high level gear is obviously price, but for the price you get better build quality, lighter materials and better protection. Weight and comfort really stick out to me the most with higher level gear.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Just won our first game of this summers beach/inline league last night. Finally being on a team which doesnt consist of free agents was awesome.

We won 13-6. They were just firing shots from everywhrere in the 2nd period to hopefully get lucky bounces. Our guys playing D let up a bit and tried getting some goals themselves in the 2nd which is how we let in 2 goals.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

real_scud posted:

I say go with the sick glove. I've had my 4roll's for over a year now and I loving love them. So goddamned comfortable that it's amazing.

Though if you light your gloves tight to your hands you may want to look elsewhere, they're a pretty loose fitting glove so that may factor into it. Otherwise if you like loose, amazingly comfy gloves jump all over that poo poo.

Seconding the 4-Rolls. If I didnt wear my easton EQ's I would be wearing 4-Rolls.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Lawnie posted:

I would go for the nicer, not mesh version, myself.

More videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJLZ1j5yEOg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zzI1VjtC-Q

Better, I think, but it looks like I'm doing something... wrong with my hands just before release.
Heres from a Hawks fan if it makes a difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIUu28w04Gw

First off, I think its tricky to see what you're doing right/wrong without a better camera angle, try getting it
looking straight at you and zoom out a little, we should be seeing at least neck down.

As for your shot, the biggest red flag is that your back foot keeps lifting up which implies to me that you are doing 2 things wrong. 1 - You are trying to shoot too hard, and 2- you are losing your balance. Its the hockey equivalent of a batter spinning around after a swing. Your feet should be solidly planted on the ground. You might be seeing a lot of pros shooting off one foot but wont help you until you can develop your basics first. Make sure your weight is centered between both feet (maybe slightly over the back foot). As the puck passes in front of your body, your weight should transfer to your front foot while still keeping weight on your back since its still applying force to the shot. Some transfer the weight with the movement of the puck and some just slightly before. It depends on your stick flex and pre-load preferences.

I think it would be beneficial to you to try slowing the whole process down. Dont worry about how hard your shot is because you still need to work on the motions before applying force to the shot.

Next, it doesnt appear to me that you are pulling the shot from your back foot to your front foot before really trying to get the shot off. I can only speak for myself but a wrist shot isnt consistent in speed from start to finish. It starts slow as you pull the puck and then like a sling shot or bow& arrow, it releases when the puck lifts off the ground as you turn your wrists.

I know you live in or around Chicago so if you ever want to meet up (in chicago since I dont drive) we can work on your shot. Since I dont own a car you dont have to worry about ending up in the trunk. I play inline up at north avenue beach during the summer and rat at Johnnys on the weekends.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I just realized my team has an off week on the schedule. Im sort of disappointed because our team did well in our last game, and we didn't have a game last week due to memorial day. 2 weeks between games is killing me.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
In my league, there is no limit for penalties but a ref will throw out an rear end in a top hat if he is clearly taking penalty after penalty with no regard to the game or playing unsafe. Fights result in an instant misconduct and can even kick you out of the league. It surprises me that they still happen occasionally.

Our penalties don't work on shorthanded time though, they work on penalty shots. If you get caught for tripping up a player, that player gets a shot. Since its a running clock of 2-20 minute halves, it keeps things going quickly to just get it over with a penalty shot. I played at other leagues where it was a stopped clock and shorthanded scenario just like NHL rules.

I got checked really hard into the boards last season from behind (theres no checking in inline) and the guy was suspended from the game. I had a stick mark from shoulder to shoulder across my back. Not fun and I was seeing stars but I scored on the penalty shot.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Surfing Turtle posted:

Hahaha I don't know what you would even call this. During our 2 minute break people looked like they were going to die from exhaustion.

Yeah its not uncommon that our outdoor inline league can play during 80-90º heat even at night with crazy humidity. (thanks midwest weather)

Ive actually played a game with 4 people as well (and a goalie) so 40 minutes without subs was terrible but we ended up winning thanks to our best guys showing up without the lesser skilled players to get in the way or give up chances.

You just have to prepare to play a slow game, make cleaner passes and always have someone back. Then again, if we all did this from the start it wouldn't have to be consciously thought about.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Get some of those terry guards. They soak up water and protect your gear and blades from eachother. They are soft like a towel but have heavy nylon on the bottom in case you need to walk.

I take my skates off after a session usually wiping off the snow and running them under the hand dryer for a second. Put the guards on and head home. Keeping your skates on separate sides of your bag keeps them from clanking.

When I get home, I air my stuff out so it doesn't smell of aborted fetuses (feti?) Drowning in a sun baked piss cocktail.

Take this time to let your blades dry off without the guards. Put the guards back on later.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I have a game tonight (after two weeks off for memorial day and a by week).

I just rode 100 miles yesterday and Im absolutely gassed today.

This should be miserable, interesting fun.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

SaucyPants posted:

I am always iffy on ordering from Hockey Giant, the whole site to me just looks shady.

Theres nothing shady about Hockey Giant, they send you a lot of "deals" via email but the site in general is very legit. I have purchased a lot of stuff through there, Inline Warehouse, Epuck, or hockey Monkey.

On a separate note, we had our second game of the season last night which we won, being the only undefeated team in the league though we've only played 2 games and everyone else has played 3.

The team we played won their last game 24-4. They have 1 ringer and everyone else was about 6'2" with minimal ability, their ringer had 4 of their 5 goals.

During the game, it started to get really chippy when we went up really fast. Towards the end of the 1st half, we started easing back and they just took slapshots from anywhere they could, half or full court if possible. They got lucky with one which bounced off of three people and beat the goalie. We ended the half with a score of 8-5. We continued to score 2 more and prevented them from scoring any in the 2nd finishing the game with 9-5.

I scored one turnaround shot 5 hole, one back door, and got a few helpers. I whiffed on a one timer and a wide open net back hand that I couldn't lift above his pad.

They got physical and some started throwing checks (in a non-checking inline league). At one point I was against the boards digging for the puck when I got hit from behind and muscled against the boards. When I looked down, the puck was nowhere near us and I pushed him off when he followed up with a cross check to my back. As he skated away, he got a slash to the ankle. The goalie then skated out and gave me a slash to the calves.

The next time we were in their zone, I got behind the goalie so that as he was skating back into his crease, I stuck my blade behind his skate causing him to fall to his back. He lost his stick and I "tripped" over it causing it to go pretty far from the goal. Its the least I could do since my calves have a big red stripe on them today.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What douchey team actually scores 24 goals in a game? Are you kidding me?

With 4 inline leagues to choose from, Open Silver Gold and Elite, Open is for anyone including women and beginners. Silver gets a wide variety from beginners to people who can really skate. The problem is that some guys sandbag or come down to be the ringer on a team. Gold is usually pretty standard good players, although you still get guys from silver who should never have moved up. Elite is pretty exclusive, it would be nice if they monitored the rest of the leagues like they do the Elites.

The team that scored 24-0 had one guy who could skate, stick handle and shoot like nobodys business. If he had a 1 on 1 with the goalie it was almost a guaranteed goal every time.

Luckily, we kept them down to 5 goals and won. :smug:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Gio posted:

Combining the "slap shots from the point" and "no shoulder pads/visor" topics, during a drop-in skate I have seen a dude who was not wearing a cage or any kind of visor take a clapper to the face. Not a pretty site, and pretty stupid on the part of the guy taking the shot.

Last summer, I picked up a guys two front teeth for him, they were broken in half because he tried to block a shot and the shooters stick bounced of his and hit him in the teeth. It looked bad enough to get me to put a cage on. Nobody looks good with a bloody mouth full of broken teeth. Not worth it.

I cant see that well with a cage, but you eventually adapt. if you complain about a cage, get a visor/cage combo.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Last night in the game prior to ours, a player went down into the boards and separated his shoulder asking for someone to put it back in. It looked pretty nasty, since nobody could put it in, he had to skate off with his shoulder out of socket. Shits gross.

Its basically up to the player as mentioned before, if you don't want to gear up and accept the consequences of the risk, then its all you. But you cant willingly get upset if someone accidently has their stick bounced out of their hands and it chips your teeth.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

D C posted:

Toothpaste is the best!

I thought the baking soda/ingredients in tooth paste actually contain a small abrasive which would eventually cloud or dull your visor over time? I could be completely wrong.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

D C posted:

I usually have to buy a new visor every year or so anyway due to scratches and scuffs anyway.

I dont really have a fogging issue either.

The last visor i bought had some sort of sticky poo poo all on the inside, spent weeks trying to rub it off and it would just get covered in tiny towel lints, finally went at it with a cleaning wipe and got it off this week.

I usually just kept it clean, the cleaner my shield was (before I wore a cage) the less foggy it would get. Then again, I never got exceptionally foggy visors anyway. With my cycling glasses, I notice they fog if I leave them on top of my head without moving, but once air starts moving, they clear right up.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Game tonight, got 6 goals and something like 3 assists. The game was beautiful, we passed very well and set up all kinds of plays around the net. We ended up winning 18-4. We were up 11-0 until halfway through the second half when our defense started to ease up.

I got slashed pretty hard on the wrist and had my stick broken shortly after. A small price to pay for a hot night.

Verman fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 21, 2011

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Just remember that no matter how much you Febreeze your gear, air it out, soak it in Oxiclean in the bath tub, it will always smell like death next time you wear it.

I've given up on washing my stuff. It smells just as bad after the next game.

You have to keep up with it.

My stuff doesnt smell like rancid death (it actually doesnt really smell at all). I play inline in 80º heat frequently so I get really sweaty. When I get home, I put all of my stuff in my porch area, pull it out of the bag and open the windows so that it gets fresh air.

The jock and foot socks get washed every time in my laundry, at the very least brought into the shower with me and rubbed down with anti bacterial body wash. My jerseys generally go a few sessions between washes unless its gross for some reason.

I have the Reebok 4k shin guards which have removable knee padding and has made a huge difference, they get pulled out after every game to dry out. The shin is also mesh which doesnt allow sweat to sit and fester. Every few weeks, I will throw those knee pads into the laundry, spray the shinguard shells out with a hose.

My stuff smells pretty fantastic. Gloves still smell like newish, I hate wet gloves so I usually take them off when Im on the bench. Keeping them dry keeps the smell out.

I think having a system of keeping your stuff aired out will keep it from developing a stink. Plus, once its there, you cant get rid of it. The older your gear gets, the worse its going to smell. Things like gloves and shinguards and skates will be the worst offenders in your bag because they tend to get the wettest.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Aggro posted:

:staredog:

If it's been more than a week since my last game, I will pour water into my clothes. Dry, crispy cloves are the most uncomfortable things in the world. poo poo, if I could just let my gloves soak in a pool of liquid between games, I'd be a happy man.

But water generally makes gloves crispy when it dries like a chamois, so if you keep them dry, the leather will generally stay softer. You can apply a little bit of oil to the palms to keep them leathery soft. Also, your gloves should soften within minutes of warm up.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Haha awesome! For a bunch of bronze ringers, they sure bitch and moan a lot. #4 D-man McIlroy is the worst offender of them all. Ever since I started playing against him last season, he's always complained about any contact whatsoever. Irony being he's the one that ends up taking the majority of their penalties. I think he got sent to the box 3 times when we played them a couple weeks ago.

Also, one of the bronze teams beat them in a shootout a couple weeks ago. Apparently they were pretty pissed about that one too.

On a side note, got my third hatty of the season :toot: We even scored a short-hander during a 5 on 3.

Our team now has it's first winning record in team history :toot:

Thats awesome, I got my first double-hatty last week :toot:

My team is currently in 1st place in our summer inline league. I'm really happy because we built this team this season with guys that I've played with over the years and we actually have a good group of guys, no assholes, lots of skill, and only a guy or two who could improve on their skating. Everyones attitudes are great and we all seem to get along really well. The best part is that the leagues are generally lead by the handful of teams that come back year after year, making it nearly impossible for the new teams and free agent teams to get a win. Luckily we're the exception, the rest of our schedule for the season should ensure we stay high in the standings but for once its finally nice to be on a hard working team who can play to get a win.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

cenzo posted:

Any inline guys have any advice on wheels? I'm about ready to buy new ones but it's been years and I'm just generally out of the loop. I'm still going to do my due diligence, just really looking for a starting point.

Also, started playing open hockey a few weeks ago at a new spot. Goalie attendance seems very erratic, is this normal? Every other time I've attended open hockey there's usually been more than enough goalies.

Finally -- I did ask the guys that I just started playing with about wheels... they told me just to piss on my wheels to make them more sticky. Has anyone heard of this, or am I being trolled? Pretty sure no matter what I won't be doing this, but it was worth asking.

Depending on what surface you're playing on, I find 74a wheels to have all the grip I need. Im only about 155lbs so I need a grippier wheel than someone heavier than myself. I was playing with 76a wheels but they were just a bit too slick.

I purchased a green set of Hyper Formula G green wheels and they've been fantastic for the last few seasons for me.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
We won our 4th game in a row last night which makes us the undefeated leaders of the league. The only thing that sucks is that the rest of the season pits us up against some pretty weak teams and although its fun to win, its not a lot of fun winning against teams that don't really pose a threat. After our 9-3 victory (easily could have been 20-3), we went out for beers and talked about moving up to a more difficult league since its clear that our team is one of the better teams in the silver division.

We're 4-0 (of 7 games in the season before playoffs), sitting in 1st place, with 49 GF and 19 GA.

Aggro posted:

Anyone have advice on how to pseudo-sterilize a chest protector? I apparently have tinea versicolor, and I suspect that my gear is to blame.

Alcohol bath? Set it in the sun to fry? Not too sure, if they're incredibly ancient maybe its time for new gear.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Just picked up another pair of Reebok 11k SickKick III sticks after a visit to my brother in law (who just signed with Calgary over the holiday). Chatted with him about the world championships etc, saw that he picked up some easton sticks which he says he likes for the feel and durability more so than the Reeboks so he was more than eager to shed a few of his reeboks off on me which Im not complaining about. Apparently at the worlds, the players get free poo poo literally thrown at them. I think he flew back with a dozen or so top of the line Easton sticks, some skates, and a few pairs of gloves to try. All of that AND a six figure paycheck?

Now I just need to get some new Tacky Mac blade pads (for inline), cut the sticks down about 2 inches. Im not even sure if these saw ice time, freshly taped for playoffs but then sat since March.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Thufir posted:

I'm hoping it will be like Calgary's

Jesus. I've never caught onto the team sales before, Im curious if Chicago does this.

Nope, since the Hawks resurgence, they host their annual Blackhawks Convention and auction the gear off there. Apparently the proceeds go to charity. Bastards.

**edit** Dammit, neither do the Chicago Wolves who also auction their stuff off for charity. Everyone is forgetting the big picture here, my performance boost.

Verman fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 8, 2011

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

bewbies posted:

The other team we played tonight didn't have a goalie so we decided we'd borrow one from one of teams playing before us. It was a girl. She was both really good and really hot. I did not know these things existed.

She stopped me on 4 breakaways but I still scored 5, I don't know if I get to keep my penis or not.

Pics or it didnt happen.

It wouldn't happen to be Mahnon Rheume would it? I had such a boner for her when I was younger.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
We played our 5th game of the season last night which was miserable. The weather was reaching 90 an the humidity was about 100%. The rink was a little slick making hard accelerations and stops really sketchy. With all the heat, nobody had any gas and it was painful.

We went up early and gassed, they caught up and gained the lead. In the 2nd half we tied it up and then played tied for a while. They were getting really chippy and physical in a no checking inline league. My ankles got hacked and I received more than enough cross checks to the tailbone. I got hit with a shot trying to screen the goalie and the welt on my thigh is the size of an orange.

With about 2 minutes left in the game, I was playing D instead of forward that way we always had a good skater back to prevent a late goal. While the play was at the other end of the ice, I was in our zone nearing the mid court area when one of their players who was cherry picking downward slashed my stick out of my hands from behind in addition to hitting me. I just threw my hands up and looked at the ref with a very WTF look. Everyone started yelling, our team making sure it was a penalty and their team trying to get out of a penalty shot since every penalty results in a shot in our league. Luckily I was given the shot which I made 5 hole.

Fortunately we were able to kill off the rest of the game and squeak by with the win to remain undefeated for the season. Now I have a huge black and green/blue bruise on my leg which seems to change colors on the hour. I hope we never play a game that hot, it was miserable.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

oddIXIbbo posted:

Perhaps it is just the phrasing you used but if you're gonna stand in front of the other team's goalie, getting a few shots in the back or chops to the ankle is pretty normal

I would suggest that you keep a better grip on your stick and never let the attacking forward be in a position where you can't see exactly what he is up to.

It kinda defeats the purpose of playing back there if someone is able to get behind you.

Again, it might be the phrasing you used. The situation might be completely different from what I interpret but it seems like these are pretty standard events and not dirty play.

I get what you're saying, the best way I can describe it is that we had just cleared the puck from our zone after a bit of play behind our own net. I was behind the play and slowly making my way from behind my goalie, through our defensive zone and towards mid rink.

It was a while after the play had shifted to their end of the rink, one of their players had come out of their bench (in our zone) skated around the back of our goal and hit me from behind/my right side, chopping down on my stick. I knew he was there and we were both skating towards the action, he was hustling more than I. Both hands were on my stick and we were away from everything (still near our blue line area when it happened). My team had control of the puck in their zone at the other end, I was nowhere near receiving a pass or any sort of danger for them, which is why everyone saw it as a WTF play. My biggest gripe was that it was completely unnecessary and dangerous with how hard he came down on my stick. I understand stick checking and stick lifts, Ive been playing long enough that I know stick play is part of the game. But slashing down on the shaft of a players stick who isn't part of a play is a penalty. This is all aside from the open ice hit in a no hit league. The best part was that he got in my face about it, as if I instigated something.

As for the front of the net play, I definitely understand getting roughed around standing in front of the goal, its part of the game. Typically its understood to get a few checks, leg slashes, pushes and shoves with the occasional elbow. Understandable. The only time I have problems is when someone takes a baseball swing to your ankles. I know we all see it in televised games on TV and such, but I cant imagine the feeling of hurting someone from a deliberate hack. Maybe I just have more compassion for people than some and realize its only a game, some dudes apparently just don't care. I've played in front of the net before but this was some of the more aggressive treatment I've ever received. I prefer sticking to the sides way more.

**EDIT** Using NHL rules as a reference -

61.1 Slashing:
Slashing is the act of a player swinging his stick at an opponent, whether contact is made or not. Non-aggressive stick contact to the pant or front of the shin pads, should not be penalized as slashing. Any forceful or powerful chop with the stick on an opponent’s body, the opponent’s stick, or on or near the opponent’s hands that, in the judgment of the Referee, is not an attempt to play the puck, shall be penalized as slashing.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26353

Verman fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 14, 2011

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

poser posted:

How the gently caress do I respond to this:

That sucks.

Just let him know his role, be honest and don't bull poo poo him. It is hockey after all. If he sucks at center, let him know he has room to improve or try giving him a chance if you haven't already. Explain to him (if this is the case) that when you are new to a team, you're the low guy on the totem pole and you play whatever is available. If he doesn't like the way the team runs its not the teams problem, its his and if he doesn't like it, he should look elsewhere next season.

One thing I've realized with suspensions, if the team or captain isn't willing to defend the call or suspension, they probably think that the person deserved the call. I've played with hot heads who always think they're the innocent victim of penalties though they are throwing elbows, punches and open ice hits. Nobody is going to defend you if you have no case to defend. If you feel like he was wronged, then try to ask the league about the suspension if you want just to clear it up. Most times its zero tolerance and they just suspend both players involved for safety sake. Its probably not worth trying to undo it, but maybe to clear things up.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
My brother in law (as of next week) plays AHL/NHL and has made the AHL all star roster a few times. It's absolutely retarded trying to skate with him and being a defenseman means he can control a puck like its glued to his stick. I always try to keep in mind that he's only seen about 30 NHL games in his career so I cant begin to imagine how much more talent lies in the top NHL pros. Luckily now that he's in the western conference (Calgary Flames) I can possibly watch his progress on TV compared to when he was in the eastern.

Last summer I played a lot of roller with a swedish kid who played college and juniors here in the states. He had size, could move the puck as if commanded by god himself, and could bury the puck at will. One of the other guys at this skate was Cammi Granato's brother and former coach of the Chicago Wolves Don Granato. I think I improved more in that summer than in the last few years of skating.

The worst is when you have the opportunity to play professional/semi pro goalies. It really kills your ego and blows you away how quickly they can close a hole. Even worse when a female college goalie shuts you down like its her religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

My take-away is that hockey is a lot like most other sport in that, unless you're clearly one of the best of the best (e: top 3 lines), moving from the farm team to the big league is more a product of politics and luck than it is a clear delineation of skill.

From what I've experienced with my bro-in-law, its mostly politics and waiting until someone gets injured to make room on the bench. It's funny to see guys with no skill get the call simply to fill a tough guy role when you have large point contributers who put their time in the AHL night in night out without a call.