Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Checking or not, any mention to a coworker or friend that I'm learning to play hockey is met with the same reaction I'd get if I had said I was joining a backyard wrestling league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

So does anyone have more specific instructions/guide/tips to making your own hockey practice pad for practicing stick-handling in front of the TV?

I would just buy one online but I'm broke and I love the Home Depot, figured it could make a good weekend project.

HDPE is a plastic material that a lot of people use, the other is the generic whiteboard material from Home Depot. Skim through this video to get a feel for it. He shows the material a bit at 1:15, passes the puck around at 2:00, then the rest of the video just kinda shows how well green biscuits slide around for stickhandling practice as well as a few other things.

I ended up going the cheapo Home Depot route. Some reviews say that they can cut it down in store but I didn't have such luck (they said they didn't have a particular type of saw but they may have just been lazy). As such, I have a giant 8'x4' sheet that I use outside but I can definitely see the benefit of cutting a 2'x4' chunk off to use inside in front of the TV since I'd have the best of both worlds.

Pros: it's super cheap, $15 for a pad that's bigger than you need but great for shooting off of in addition to stickhandling. It's lightweight so it's not bad to move around despite being a bit unwieldy. It also works well enough off the shelf but rub it down with some Pledge or something and it's got a nice slickness to it without being really oily or anything. I've had it for a month or two and left it out in the rain because I don't really give a poo poo, and so far it's still completely fine. Already got my money's worth I'd say.

Cons: Being so big, it's hard to store. It also required use of my roommate's truck since I can't transport it on my own. It can warp under its weight if you lean it against things without support, though I have been able to undo any of that by leaning it the other way or weighing down the corners when it's laying flat. Doesn't seem too durable overall and will eventually succumb to taking shots, weather, or damage from rocks that I expose it to from taking lovely care of it overall.

e: I will probably pick up some bungie cords to use mine like this

Teeter fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 8, 2015

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

bewbies posted:

It appears I ebayed a pair of skates from the guy who led the Swedish league in scoring this year, that's cool. It is kind of funny that pro hockey players are selling their crap on ebay.

Well some KHL teams are having trouble paying players so maybe a lot of Russian gear will become available soon.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Duke Chin posted:

Nah I'm in Seattle (and one of like 5 b's fans around here, apparently - the cup win v. vancouver back a few years ago was fun :hawksin: ) but the place I'm referring to over here is up in Shoreline. It's the closest rink to downtown Seattle but wow is it beat up. Their stick night is just super super convenient for me, timing wise. All the other better, farther places have them crazy early when I'm either asleep or at work. Ahh well, practicing on super lovely ice can only help me, right? Right?!?

I am in a similar situation. There is a rink literally <5 minutes from my house that is also significantly cheaper than any other options, but the ice is absolute poo poo and outside of public skating session they only have 1 pickup slot where everyone is way better than me and not that friendly. No stick time is offered whatsoever.

Every other rink is at minimum 45 minutes away and are much pricier, but they've got wayyyyy better facilities and better groups to play with. They're also my only option during the week.

I end up doing a mix of all rinks because they all offer something, I just wish that the closer rink had stick time because it would be worth it even despite being the crappiest ice of the bunch.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 13, 2015

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

What's the deal for being a sub for a league? I've posted in here a couple of times about myself and 2 friends getting ready to join our first league. We're more than ready, we just haven't found a good fit for us in terms of time/location/etc.

One of the only rookie leagues that is open for registration right now is set to play on Saturdays, and I don't think any of us want to go with that since I know right off the bat I'll miss a bunch of games from not being around on weekends. It just doesn't make sense to drop $500 on a league that I'll miss half of so I don't know if being on-call as a sub for a few games is an option? If not then I'll have another few months of drop-in before I can try again with a Fall/Winter league.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Yeah totally, I was mainly just wondering if it's even an option in some places. Seems like it's more feasible after going through a few seasons and knowing captains but getting put on an email list for the potential of real games is better than nothing. Pickup games are fun but it's so half-assed that I'd like to get even a tiny bit of experience in "real" games.

This is for a rookie/LTP type leagues so I can't imagine they're too serious or worried about ringers I am not one. I'd mainly be interested in stepping in for situations where a team knows they'll only have 3 defensemen or whatever but I suppose you're right in that I'd never actually get the call. I'll see if I can put my info out anyway since it shouldn't hurt to try.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Duke Chin posted:

Hey so like, what exactly should I be looking for at home depot in regards to a DIY stick handling pad? I definitely need to work on hands. :( But, yeah, I went into Home Depot last night and the best I found was an 8x4" sheet of what looked to be like a slightly thicker version of the plastic that you put into florescent kitchen light fixtures (textured on one side, smooth as heck on the other). But it was like almost $40 and wouldn't roll up enough at all to fit into my car.

I've seen google results of people finding the plastic for like ~$15 or so. Maybe my home depot is just trying to rip off the poors around here. :shrug:

edit: Is this the stuff? http://www.homedepot.com/p/PLASTEX-1-16-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-Plastic-Panel-63003/202090190

I think that there are two different materials people go with. One is HDPE, which I believe is more of a hard plastic material. I am not as familiar with this, though I did use a pad kinda like this at a friend's house and I believe it was HDPE. The other is this whiteboard stuff, which is a fibreboard that has some sort of acrylic coating. Just seems like a giant flimsy whiteboard, but it's held up pretty well in my backyard. The two materials seem similar enough in how the pucks react, it's just a tradeoff of size/price/durability.

e: if you're looking to fit something in a car then you may need to get HDPE. I'm not positive but I think if it's thin enough then HDPE will roll, though the whiteboard is sold in large rigid 4'x8' sheets. You'd have to see if they'll cut it down in the store. My Home Depot wouldn't do it, but some reviews online have seen better success.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 28, 2015

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Duke Chin posted:

:hfive: Thanks for the info - totally forgot about the whiteboard stuff. Hmmmmm, now to figure out how to stuff it in my 4-door car and get it home... It's times like this I wish I had a roof rack. You think that whiteboard material can be cut and rejoined back together without a noticeable seam?

It's been answered, but I also don't think that it's feasible to cut it. Or rather, cutting it is fine, but don't expect to put it back together without a seam. It's a large enough sheet that I would like to cut mine down so I have a small piece to use indoors.

Here's a photo so you can see what the material is like a bit better. I leave it out in the open and exposed to the elements exactly like this and it's held up decently well so far:

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey LA hockey goons, I just moved to the area. I was nearby before (IE) but went to a completely different set of rinks, mainly KHS. I'm a total newbie but want to jump back in since life is starting to settle down again after a few months mayhem from a new job and moving. I'm now looking for a few options on where to pick up skating and doing stick time again before ultimately joining a beginner league in a few months.

I live in Los Feliz and work in Burbank. How's the LA Kings ice in the valley? Or Pasadena? Lakewood or Torrance may be options on the weekend but traffic probably prevents me from making it there after work. Any other options?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

sellouts posted:

Hi Your closest rink is Burbank (pick wick). Pasadena is close too.

The best beginner league I know of is in Torrance and that's where a bunch of us play. Nitramstr and Ace Thomas play in aluminum there and it's for a lot of beginners. Places like Toyota Sports Center don't really have a true beginner league like they do. Games are Sunday. Also Torrance does a good job of placing you on a team if you don't know anyone.

Are you available Tuesday nights? They run a pickup at Torrance at like 950pm that was made by a bunch of learn to plays. Good group. Take the 110 exit sepulveda, make a right then a left at western and you're basically there.

Thanks for the CA info, doubly so for doing it in the most Californian way possible.

I'll get back into shape with some stick time and then see about joining up in that Tuesday pickup.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Good point. Time to play the hockey.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 30, 2015

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Nitramster posted:

I feel like with the Lakewood pricing change next season Ice Angeles might start looking good to a lot of people over there. We could possibly take the better 1/3 of the Canadiens, Wooty Ace and I, the better half of our Lakewood team, grab a few other solid copper players and have a competitive team for Harbor, and that would let the Canadiens go back down to aluminum with their majority of players at that level. Our captain at Lakewood wants to move the team to Harbor anyway, so they could take the bottom half and play on the Canadiens or make a new team.

Also that would probably make me the worst on the team, which I am 100% okay with.

I feel like I'm a perpetual newb whenever I come into this thread because I'll dabble for a bit and then life circumstances get in the way of me going all-in with hockey, but I'm starting to play at Lakewood clinic/pickups and will be joining a league next go around at Ice Angeles. I'll probably see you around but I'll be safely in to rookie Bronze category for a bit.

Sellouts - You mentioned before that there was a Tuesday (?) night drop in that someone organizes. Is that still around? That one is good for garbage players, yeah? I can PM you for more details if it's got room for me.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I made a gear rack to help air my stuff out for like $20 in parts, half of which was spent just on the PVC cutting tool. Design was taken from some guy's Reddit post that came up on a google search, which I then made a few minor tweaks to.

I live in a 1bd apartment but I've got a huge closet with a window so I can isolate the stink and get decent airflow. I'm considering drilling some holes throughout it so that a fan/blow dryer can pump even more circulation in for quicker drying. Anybody else have something similar?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Habibi posted:

Oh god I'll tell you anything you want to know!

Hockey rack? Torture device? Sex machine? You decide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUm2Im3SvtU

Teeter fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 3, 2016

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

xryokus posted:

Looking at building one of these but I have a bunch of 20mm PVC laying round. After building yours do you reckon 20mm would still be stable enough?

I'm no PVC expert to say for certain but I think it would be fine and if you don't have any other use for the pipe you've got laying around then I'd say go for it. I used 1inch PVC but it has so many T joints that most pieces end up being 4-8" and become very stable, with the longest being 10". It's about 2' wide so maybe use that to judge how much 20mm could droop. I doubt it would be much of an issue since most pieces are just being balanced along the floor and the only gear that is applying weight to the crossbars are pants and chest.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

If you needed any more convincing, you should also note that you receive one free Tron poster with purchase.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

lazerwolf posted:

Skate Russian Circles while listening to Russian Circles

Best advice in this thread :rock:

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

LA goons, I'm joining an Ice Angeles league this Summer with a buddy of mine. First time for both of us. Should we go with the bottom beginner level or is that full of people who can barely skate? Not sure if we should just suck it up and jump to Copper. Regardless, if any of you are playing there then we will drink beer with you before, after, or during games.

Our only comparison is people in the adult clinics we do at Lakewood. It gets split in to multiple groups for drills and we've found that if we go to the beginner group then we're on the top end, but if we skate with the "advanced" group then we're bottom rung.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

sellouts posted:

Join aluminum. And come to Tuesday skate. If you are inappropriately skilled for that level they will move you up.

Sent you a PM about Tuesday skate. I don't think I was ever actually added to the list before.

Acethomas posted:

Come play with me on the Canadiens, they moved all our players up and we could use some help for next season.

Awesome, thanks for the invite. It's me +1 more so we'd both be interested and are ready to go. We've spent way too long at clinics or stick & puck and want to get to playing for real.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Acethomas posted:

Send me a pm with your emails and I'll push it to the captain. I think the next session starts in June? You could probably sub with us until the playoffs start if you guys want.

PM Sent. I'm excited now.

also lol every goalie in the league is #32

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

My first game ever was today. I play on Acethomas' old team.

I was a little nervous but had a pretty strict prep regimen to help get ready. I skipped most of my meals yesterday then ate a bunch of drugs and stayed out til 3am at a hip hop concert. I felt like Mike Richards today, and even scored my first goal. I was waiting in the slot and a centering pass bounced off a few defenders' skates before I backhanded it up into the goalies shoulder and in. I came pretty close to getting the game-tying goal in the 3rd but I guess it wasn't meant to be and we ended up losing 4-3.

Hockey is cool.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

sellouts posted:

Man, it took me so many games to score my first goal.

Trying to think if I know anyone on Canadians anymore but I don't think so. Anyways you emailed me about joining the private pickup. I am back and will skate in it more regularly so will try to remember to get you in.

We had the 1015 game and that rink usually runs on time. No idea what happened earlier but started 20 min late. Tomorrow will suck.

Thanks, I'd love to drop in on Tuesday skates every once in a while. I'm not doing LTP clinic in Lakewood anymore so these games are just about my only ice time for the time being. Now I'm hooked and really can't wait to get out there again.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

KnightProjekt posted:

That was me playing goalie! It was my first official game as a goalie and I was a nervous as hell. I felt like a turd when the first shot I took went right in.

Congrats on the goal! You almost had the 2nd, it got under me but it hit the post behind me and popped back out.

oh snap, never would have guessed it was a goon in net. Congrats on the win!

I have no clue what the shot totals or anything were but it felt like a good game to me. Our team had a lot of new players so we've got a lot to tighten up but I'm sure we'll have a great matchup next time we see you guys.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I have two whole games in my illustrious hockey career now and I'm already sick of some of my teammates who follow the most obnoxious stereotypes. Most notably, the bench coaches who have a lot to comment on others' play yet can barely stand up and hold a stick at the same time themselves.

The worst offense: I was playing RW and blocked a pretty hard slapshot from the point, kicking it out to the neutral zone where I chased it down and beat the two defenders down ice to get a scoring chance. Goalie froze the puck and I sat on the bench to catch my breath, then one of our geriatric D-men taps me with his stick and in all sincerity tells me that I need to cover the point better.

:suicide:

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

yep, that's the plan. I don't take it personally, and I really don't care too much about winning/losing, it's just an added pain that doesn't contribute anything to our team.

We lost 7-4 but I was on ice for 3 of our goals for and 0 of the goals against so I'll call it a personal victory.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

also, SHOOOOOOT

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

sellouts posted:

Hey Teeter I saw the Canadians game for a bit as it was after mine.

You're on that team yeah? Are you #50 something? #52, #54?

If so hit up that girl Natalie on your team, she skates in the Tuesday night pickup.

Ugh, that game was rough. We're pretty sloppy all the way around and we just didn't get much going the entire game. Ended it with a 6-1 loss.

I'm #22

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

sellouts posted:

ahead of teeter's game, the schlubs actually won 8-2 on my hat trick, my first in the last 5268 games or so

so the only mercy was shown by the officials taking their time fishing the puck out of the net

teeter i emailed you a forward of my request to add you to the distro list for pickup.

Got it, thanks. I'll stay by my email on Sunday to see if I can make it in some time soon.

There's a good chance that the skill level is higher than I'm used to but that's fine, I need to push myself a bit harder anyway.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Send him to the Thunderdome

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey KnightProjekt you said that you're the 8-Bit goalie, yeah? You did really well, we felt like we outplayed your team for most of the game but were frustrated at a lot of your saves. I hope your two players that went down are alright. I didn't see what happened to them but it didn't seem great so that really blows.

I'm #22 on Canadiens. My first assist was that game, off of my best friend's first ever goal. Feels good. We've spent a few years off and on learning how to skate together so we're pretty ecstatic that it's finally paid off with the two of us on a scoresheet together.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 1, 2016

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I think I found my new shootout move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsKs695LCGU

Teeter fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 2, 2016

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

sellouts posted:

Teeter have you skated in a Tuesday skate yet? Are you getting emails?

Yes, thanks a ton for getting me added on there. I skated last week and loved it.

The skill level was probably right where I need it: Many are much better than me so I have to push myself to keep up, but at the same time there were like 6 aluminum level skaters there so I could still make some plays. Also it's pretty nice to meet a handful of people I'll be playing against in the actual league games.

My team has a 3 week gap between games coming up due to a bye week and labor day so I'll definitely be playing in the 8/23 and 8/30 pick ups.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

KnightProjekt posted:

Yeah, that was my lame rear end flopping around in the crease. I just started playing goalie this season, and it is way tougher then I thought it was going to be! I need to stop letting in 5+ goals a game, but I feel like I am getting better with every game.

Both the players that went down will be out for awhile. One broke his fibula/tibula? And will be in a cast, and the other guy has a bone bruise and will be in a splint for a few weeks.

if you come to the pick-up on Tuesday with sell outs I'll most likely be there as well. I usually skate out unless our goalies are unavailable. I'll be the tall skinny guy with glasses.

Yikes, bummer about the two injuries. Hope they get back quickly.

I won't be doing the Tuesday pickup for a few weeks but will try to join in at the end of the month. I really need to work on not being terrible at hockey. We had to skate fairly shorthanded in our game yesterday so I had to pick up a lot of the slack, which made it pretty apparent that I am not yet equipped to handle that.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

KnightProjekt posted:

I played you again yesterday, I was subbing goalie for the crabs after my game. But this time I was able to pull off back to back wins! (4-2, 2-1) What a difference coming out of the net, and not sitting on my rear end to make a save can do.

Nice, congrats on the wins. I watched like half of your game against Top Shelf.

We only had 4 of our regular forwards show up including myself (a bad) and one other who is brand new to hockey so some of our geriatric D-men had to move up to wing. Not our best effort overall but we did what we could and were happy to only take 2 goals against. Last time that team had a ringer and put up like 10 against us. Also that first goal against us did not cross the line, it should have been 1-1 :argh:

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Some guy bombed a slapshot from center ice as the clock ran out yesterday and ended up hitting one of our players up high in the chest. We started talking poo poo to the guy and their team gave the "play to win the game" bullshit.

First off, rear end in a top hat, the shot was after the buzzer and way too high so it was a garbage attempt and secondly, this is loving bottom tier DD/Aluminum so who gives a poo poo about winning when it's at the expense of being a dick or potentially hurting someone.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

sellouts posted:

i don't know maybe sucking everyone to you so another player can get wide open and have a clean shot idk just maybe

That's what rebounds are for.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Are backpack-style bags worthwhile or are they junk? This one, more specifically. It's like $30 with the Hockey Monkey black friday coupon. I know they're probably better suited for roller but I typically stuff my shin guards inside my pants anyway and pack light, so maybe it would fit?

My current bag is a super large generic duffle from a military surplus store and it's a total piece of poo poo.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 22, 2016

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey Acethomas, are you coming back to the Canadiens? I wasn't sure if that's you or a different Harbor City goon but I'm pretty sure I'll be playing with someone here in the upcoming season.

I may have skated with some of you, who knows. I went to a handful of the Tuesday skates back when they were happening regularly but only met KnightProjekt, who is a jerk because he knocked my team out of the last playoff spot last season.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

KnightProjekt posted:

If it makes you feel better, I was super pumped for our first playoff game and predicted before that the only way we were going to lose was by some lame goal... and so we lost by a goal off my defense's legs in the final minutes.

drat, that's a bummer. I was rooting for you guys over the others since 8-Bit was my favorite team to play against. Our games were the most competitive and everybody seems to be friendly since so many play pickup together.

I just saw that they put up the first few weeks of next season's schedule but it's a little weird since they haven't finished the current playoffs yet. There's no Canadiens/8-Bit game scheduled so far so hopefully you're healed up and back in net by the time that comes around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

drat, he faces so many shots every game that he had no idea that it was anything special while in the midst of it. Just business as usual, goalie gets absolutely shellacked yet they don't even realize it until casually glancing at the score sheet on the way home. They don't even have a backup goalie.