Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

sellouts posted:

Do any of you want this pair of new Bauer TotalOne NXG pants in red, size small?

I ordered both small and medium, think I'll fit into a medium better length wise. They're like a weird girdle +shell which I'm not used to but means that they're pretty customizable if you have thunder thighs or chicken legs.

They were 40 shipped, tagged as $125. Never worn in a game, tried on in my apt!

Otherwise they're going back to HockeyGiant!

:hfive:

I may be interested. I've been wanting to upgrade my lovely pants, plus I play at the same rink as you and just so happen to be on a red team so that's all oddly convenient.

My only concern is the fit; I'm super lanky so they may be too short on me as well. I'll shoot you a PM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

sellouts posted:

when do you play there next and are you going to do a tuesday skate anytime soon?

also i live in miracle mile if you're a westsider.

and i will be going to jakes hockey shop at some point this weekend to bake my skates

You know what, I may have to back out after looking at the sizing charts. My waist size is like 32-34" so S can sometimes work, but I'm over 6' and length is always an issue. If it was a problem for you then it's probably just as bad or worse for me.

If there is a 12/13 or 12/20 pickup then I will go and would still be interested in checking them out, but due to a screwy holiday schedule I'm not sure if I'll be playing on Sunday again until January. If that's the case then you may be better off getting the refund because :effort:

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

We need to get the Thunderdome set up with the company that streams amateur rinks so that we can all watch live or get highlights emailed to us after every game.

e: this thing https://livebarn.com/?locale=en_ca

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I started to play center and I'm bad at it.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

sellouts posted:

Are you still playing in so cal?

Did you ever end up going to that Tues night drop in

Yeah, I've been playing entirely at Skating Edge lately.

I go to Tues drop in maybe twice a month, it's my favorite pickup group so far.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I've been feeling way better about my play lately. I think it was all about confidence; things are working out way better now that I actually hold on to the puck a bit more and attempt to make moves or shoot. The panic has subsided so now I'm free to be way more aggressive on the puck and it's working out for me. 6 points in 3 games so far, which basically ties my first two seasons combined.

News for SoCal goons: Skating Edge installed some cameras that stream all games now. They're just regular IP cameras, not that one specific hockey streaming service, so the quality is pretty mediocre but on the flip side there's no registration or subscription needed. Just go to the rink homepage and they're there to watch.

Here's me (Center) winning a faceoff and then getting a pretty sweet deflection in front. I have never deflected a puck in my life, even in practice.

https://gfycat.com/RedSelfreliantDolphin

Teeter fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 3, 2017

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Acethomas posted:

Dude you are doing great. Almost had a give and go goal on the play where I jumped up past Jillian and passed it back from just behind the goal line to you. Are you capturing the feeds?

Yeah, I got yesterday's game in full. I skimmed through last night to pull out a few of the choice highlights but will do the rest and shoot it out to the team once I'm home from work later. It's pretty tryhard but if people enjoy it then I can keep recording since it's rare for rookies to be able to watch themselves.

I almost got my first ever hat trick last night, but decided to do this instead:
ALUMINUM_HOCKEY.GIF

:smith:

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Last night, my team's center was backchecking and poked the puck away as the other team gained entry into our zone. Their player went down and the ref called us for tripping. We got pretty pissed on the bench because it seemed like a lovely call and the refs only response was "If he didn't trip him, then how did the other player get knocked down??" :smug:

We weren't arguing that their player was untouched, we were arguing that it wasn't a trip because the puck was 100% the initial source of contact and nobody denied that. The ref was saying that it didn't matter because the other player went down so it was tripping regardless. Is it different than the NHL rulebook? Do I misunderstand the NHL rules?

Later on in that game we ended up icing the puck from our zone. The other team's goalie leaves the crease, goes in to the corner (outside of the trapezoid), and stops the puck so ref blows it dead with the icing call. Shouldn't they have waived off icing once the goalie moved to play the puck? It's not a big deal and maybe we just had lovely refs but I'm just trying to figure out what the rules are since I know it isn't always 1:1 NHL style.

In what ways does beer league differ from NHL rules with these little details? This isn't a USA Hockey league so I actually have no clue what book they go by.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 7, 2017

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

The trapezoid is a dumb rule anyway and I welcome any opportunity for a goalie to horribly misplay the puck.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

sellouts posted:

do any of you so cal never evers skate in that Tuesday skate at Bay Harbor? I've done it the past 3-4 weeks and haven't seen anyone but Wooty and Nick (whatever your SA name is)

I was there maybe two weeks ago and generally go every other week. My league team has a few consecutive bye weeks coming up so I'll probably increase that to every week for the coming month.

I'm the really lanky guy who's half as fast as everyone there and falls over when nobody is nearby.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I focus a lot more on NHL players' feet now and realize I'll never be able to skate like them if I practiced for a hundred years.

Same here, though now I also spend a lot of time with my jaw dropped to the floor from videos like these:

Sidney Crosby Edgework:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BwK2ECscX4

Crosby Puck Protection:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqrMeXTuz7U

I play in a pickup where I'm usually the worst skater out there so I'm well aware of what it looks like to be outmatched. Crosby and McDavid make NHL players look like me out there.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I reluctantly shelled out 2-hundo for this bag, but I gotta say, it's by far the best bag I've ever used.
https://www.pacificrink.com/collections/bags/products/player-bag?variant=23544651782

I've had it for 2 months or so and I keep finding new pockets in it that I didn't know existed.

Someone I play pickup with has one of these and I've been pretty envious of it. Seems durable enough, and the compartments are nice. He takes it one step further and uses packing cubes to keep track of things like jerseys/socks which is an idea I'll probably rip off from him soon.

I use a cheap backpack style bag because I have a ton of stairs and doors to get through between my apartment and the rink. Wearing a bag over the shoulder was obnoxious and anything with wheels wouldn't work.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Congrats to KnightProjekt, he beat us us 2-1 yesterday to pick up another championship in goal.

Top highlights include a sprawling save on Acethomas' near game-tying goal in the final 2 minutes and a woman on our team trashing the locker room in an epic meltdown while the rest of us drank beer and tried to laugh it off because seriously this is aluminum league chill out lady.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

sellouts posted:

who flipped out I must know

Wooty posted:

Female on the Canadians in Aluminum so you know she is a super try-hard - She is probably in the pick up occasionally.

Is she the one that does the dump in during pick up and doesn't understand why nobody cares or plays it?

She's relatively new to the Canadiens and I don't think she's ever gone to Tuesday pick up so you may not know her. The evidence certainly suggests that she's a try-hard though.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Last night was a 10pm game and as such was my first time playing without a bench. We played our "rival" team who had like 12 skaters show up, yet we managed to beat them 1-0. They tried to fight us afterwards. I feel like a real beer-leaguer now.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Chemmy posted:

Sudafed is absolutely not a sedative. The stuff they sell behind the counter is basically meth and you’ll skate like a hero.

Pretty much everybody playing actual competitive hockey knows about taking sudafed before a game.

Backstrom had an issue with this at the last Olympics:

article posted:

The banned substance Backstrom is alleged to have tested positive for is pseudoephedrine. Pseudoephedrine is the active ingredient in Claritin and Sudafed. Those drugs have legitimate uses– particularly as decongestants, but they are also widely abused in pro sports. The 2013 edition of the World Anti-Doping Agency’s list of prohibited substances includes pseudoephedrine as a stimulant under section S6.b. If a urine test detects more than 150 micrograms per milliliter, the athlete is in violation of international rules.

https://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2014/02/23/nick-backstrom-banned-substance-allergy-medicine-sochi-olympics/

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Xzzy if you see this in time what pads are necessary for the all seasons hockey lessons? I'm guessing head hands and maybe shins? Pants? Elbows?

E; dude. You didn't warm me. I wasn't ready. Holy poo poo, hockey is hard and this was no loving beginners class.

I was a total fish out of water for the first fifteen minutes of drills, but I didn't fall down!

Eventually I caught on and sped up, stayed for the scrimmage and again was so far behind the puck all night. The big positive is the two guys I talked to were surprised it was my first time playing hockey, I guess.

That was some real 'in the deep end' poo poo though.

Hey man, congrats on taking the plunge. Starting any new hobby at our age can be hard. Starting something like ice hockey is monumental. Keep it up and next time, push yourself until you do fall down!

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

My faceoff strategy:

Jump in as early as possible because nobody has ever been kicked out of a beer league faceoff.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

calandryll posted:

A friend built a drying rack out of PVC pipes in which he drilled holes for all the various bits of equipment and hooks a hair dryer up to an opening so that air flows around and out the holes to help dry the inner parts.

I've built something like this, but mostly I just use it as a regular rack to lay my gear out on and don't mess around with blow drying. I live in SoCal where it's hot and dry so I can get away with being kinda lazy about airing things out.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Habibi posted:

Yeah but if it ever starts raining inside the rink, we'll be set.

It wouldn't be the first time I've seen it happen

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

taco show posted:

Well I dropped a bunch of money this weekend on stuff. But now I have perhaps an insane question: what do I wear UNDER my hockey gear? Leggings? Do I need another shirt or can I get away with just a sports bra? How do I keep the socks up? etc.

I usually wear a sleeveless compression shirt under my gear. I like Target's house brand activewear (C9 Champion) as a cheaper alternative to Underarmor or whatever.

As for shorts and the sock dilemma, I think a compression jock is the way to go. They have little velcro tabs that your socks attach to:

For a while I was cheap and used a regular jock with garter straps but honestly the extra money I spent on nice compression shorts is one of the better hockey purchases I've made.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Awww poo poo I just realized that we started the shelter-in-place orders right as our regular season ended. I imagine the season will be scrapped altogether but it would be kinda funny if we end up going straight in to playoffs with a bunch of old dudes who have barely left the couch for months.

I just hope I've got a rink to go back to once this is all said and done.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Teeter posted:

Awww poo poo I just realized that we started the shelter-in-place orders right as our regular season ended. I imagine the season will be scrapped altogether but it would be kinda funny if we end up going straight in to playoffs with a bunch of old dudes who have barely left the couch for months.

I just hope I've got a rink to go back to once this is all said and done.

Hell yeah! I just received word that

1) Our dumpy little rink isn't really at risk of shutting down, and
2) Whenever we get to it, the first game back after months off the ice will indeed be a playoff game.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Gunshow Poophole posted:

so I'm a first timer, I picked out some skates based on advice in the OP, I just went with the cheapest model of Bauer Supremes

I've got a good fit going in the toebox, heel (like a glove) and the rest of the foot, but there are HUGE pads built in that are squooshing my ankle... like the malleoli of my ankle. Is this by design? They're very thick, and it feels a bit strange lacing up and getting everything else nice and snug but with this relatively insane pressure specifically on those two pads.

is this something that will sort of "form" to my foot as I break them in? I'm pretty pleased with how I got the right sizing out the gate.

Did you get them baked?

New skates literally go in to an oven to be heated up, it softens up the padding so that it can form a bit better around your foot's shape. This is something that would normally be done at a hockey shop at time of purchase but buying online or during a pandemic can definitely interfere with that.

There's a way to DIY at home if you need to but I've never done it myself so others probably have better info than I could provide.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I secretly enjoy when 11 skaters show up because I play center and suck at skating so it's tiring to cover both zones all game if there's only one person for me to switch with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

What is the best shooting pad for off-ice training? Not looking for the cheapest available or a good value, I'm looking for the best. I've used one of those whiteboard panels from Home Depot in the past and it was fine but I'm looking for better if it exists.

I'd like to eliminate or reduce the amount that I need to lube it up if possible so I'm not looking to save a few bucks unless there is truly no difference in quality between them.

So far I'm considering something along these lines:
Hockeyshot Synthetic Ice Tiles - 36" x 90"

Snipers Edge Shooting Pad 30"x60"

Generic HDPE Board - 48" x 96"