Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -

Surfing Turtle posted:

Hold up! Goalies are players too!

Aw hell yeah! ...how would one start out playing goalie? Back in my highschool days I played a poo poo ton of pick up games with friends and I always played goalie. I had my own cheap pads, catcher and blocker, it was so much fun. That was all roller hockey, and I'm not opposed to roller hockey now. The good news the one roller hockey league I've contacted are really desperate for goalies and even sent out a mass email saying they'd waive game fees for goalies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -

gigabitnokie posted:

Where do you live?

Chicago. The league I was talking about is in the burbs.

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -

Lawnie posted:

Unfortunately I really can't. I live in the north suburbs but go to school in Champaign, which is at least 2 hours away. Most of the guys who I know that live in the Chicago area swear by the Total Hockey in Downers Grove or the Gunzo's in... Niles, I think it is?

That said, if any of you goons are U of I students, my intramural team needs people for our the beginner league team. I doubt any of you are around but PM/email me if you are.

I do hail from Rolling Meadows :smug: which is close to Downer's Grove. Does roller hockey (goalie) gear differ much from ice?

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -
I posted here a while ago about starting up as a goalie. I've done some research on local leagues and pick up games, one of which sometimes waives goalie fees cause apparently no one likes to play that/sometimes nobody shows up. Plus a guy I work with is an assistant coach for his college hockey team and said he'd help me out, maybe even some rink access!

So I'm seriously considering it. Getting into a league/pick up games wouldn't be a problem. The main problem is what gear. I've done some looking around and...

What's the size (and quality? Function? Whatever?) difference between Sr./Youth equipment? Is there something in between for 25 year olds like me or do I choose one of those?

Can you use rollerhockey equipment as ice hockey equipment?

While the OP is terrific on player gear I'm looking for a breakdown on goalie stuff!

I know specifically the last question is a lot to ask, I would really appreciate someone shedding some light on it. Finally after 6 years of just thinking about I can make it happen.