Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Idioteque Dance posted:

Meanwhile, I just learned to play the oft-linked Dopefight - Saviour on guitar and while pretty simple, it is really really fun to play. Anybody have any other good songs they've been learning on guitar? I need to stop jamming so much and start building a repertiore, but I'd rather it be stoner/sludge/doom than more popular rock songs.

My guitar playing lately has been tons of fuzzed-out desert rock, throwin' out riffs from Fu Manchu and The Atomic Bitchwax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Idioteque Dance posted:

Thanks for the reminder, I've not listened to them in ages. It is really good.

Meanwhile, I just learned to play the oft-linked Dopefight - Saviour on guitar and while pretty simple, it is really really fun to play. Anybody have any other good songs they've been learning on guitar? I need to stop jamming so much and start building a repertoire, but I'd rather it be stoner/sludge/doom than more popular rock songs.

One of the albums I learned to play off of was Age of Winters by The Sword. Down-tuned rudimentary pentatonic riffs are the best to start out with.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

Idioteque Dance posted:

Meanwhile, I just learned to play the oft-linked Dopefight - Saviour on guitar and while pretty simple, it is really really fun to play. Anybody have any other good songs they've been learning on guitar? I need to stop jamming so much and start building a repertoire, but I'd rather it be stoner/sludge/doom than more popular rock songs.

You can pretty much pick up any Pentagram song by ear after a few minutes. The only trick is they kept tuning lower and lower with each record.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Hey guys, what are some of the big name or great releases that came out over the past six months or so? I haven't been paying attention a whole recently and what with Boris and Grails both having new ones out I was wondering what else I might be missing out on while I catch up on some old favourites.

An album I've been digging recently has been Man's Gin's album Smiling Dogs. It's not straight stoner but it's similar in atmosphere to Clutch mixed with Crippled Black Phoenix and more upbeat Harvestman or other Steve von Till work. I'm sure there's a bunch of you here who'll love it.

Man's Gin - Solid Gold Telephone

edit: I forgot to mention it's by the guys in the black metal band Cobalt and their phenomenal album Gin

Space Faggot
Jun 11, 2009

cheap sunglasses posted:

You can pretty much pick up any Pentagram song by ear after a few minutes. The only trick is they kept tuning lower and lower with each record.

I'll second this, once you get the tunings they're easy and fun as hell. IIRC most of Relentless is C#/Drop B.

If you want more noodly pentatonic stuff you can't go wrong with anything from Holy Mountain. You already know Dragonaut, don't you?

Cluricaun
Jul 31, 2009

Bang.
Anyone ever heard of the German band RotoR? Last.fm tossed out the song "Neoplan" (I'd link, but no YouTube access at work) and the rest of what I've heard of them is really good, but finding CD's seems to be a bitch.

Also if anyone knows where to find Toner Low's stuff as legit mp3's please say som, especially the first album. Itunes and Amazon are both lame.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Monkey Junction by Weedeater is fun as balls to play, it's all just Drop D power chords.

Also that new Lento album I posted a page or so back is incredible, you should all check it: http://www.denovali.com/lento/

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Also that new Lento album I posted a page or so back is incredible, you should all check it: http://www.denovali.com/lento/

Denovali also has some of their other releases up for free download. I declare that's a sign of an awesome company.

Also I pre-ordered the Lento album (after downloading and listening to it) and now it annoys me that I can't find when it's coming out.

And in other news, the release date for the new vinyl pressing of Come My Fanatics also got pushed back, or so I understood. Not groovy, man.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

HMorg posted:

Denovali also has some of their other releases up for free download. I declare that's a sign of an awesome company.

They have a "Cheapo" section on their webstore which looks well worthy of impulse buying.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.

Technetium posted:

Hey guys, what are some of the big name or great releases that came out over the past six months or so? I haven't been paying attention a whole recently and what with Boris and Grails both having new ones out I was wondering what else I might be missing out on while I catch up on some old favourites.

I was out record shopping this weekend and saw the album Summit by Thou, which if you've seen the cover for, you know it doesn't say "Thou" anywhere except the spine a little embossing on the back. So, thinking it was some new band on Southern Lord called "Summit" I was like "gently caress yeah!" and grabbed it. I had to fiddle with my EQ settings on my stereo a bit to get it right, but goddamn if it isn't a heavy fuckin' record. Not exactly brand spankin' new, but it caught me by pleasant surprise.

Speaking of Boris, also managed to grab Absolutego b/w Dronevil2 on (obviously) double vinyl for $25 CDN, which made my day even better.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It's only a mild infection...

Idioteque Dance posted:

I swear, all the masturbatory, Dragon Force-esque solos in the world don't drive me to play guitar, but listening to some sludgey, down-tuned, face-melting riffs do indeed!

I am ignorant of guitar specifics, but I'd love to learn to play something like Dragonaut or the epic loving opening riff of Return Trip off Come My Fanatics...

I would have a constant loving boner being able to play that, not to mention a giant joint never leaving my lips...

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Random music for you guys, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuRKRFjm-HA

Idioteque Dance posted:

I've been playing tons of early Electric Wizard since I got my 8 string. Their songs aren't really fun to play as a whole for me but taking a handful of riffs and seeing where you can take them is awesome. They give me tons of ideas.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

Diseased Yak posted:

I swear, all the masturbatory, Dragon Force-esque solos in the world don't drive me to play guitar, but listening to some sludgey, down-tuned, face-melting riffs do indeed!

I am ignorant of guitar specifics, but I'd love to learn to play something like Dragonaut or the epic loving opening riff of Return Trip off Come My Fanatics...

I would have a constant loving boner being able to play that, not to mention a giant joint never leaving my lips...

Either of those are simple enough they'd be a pretty good first song to learn. If you've never touched a guitar before you could probably get em sounding in the ballpark within a week easy. Most of this stuff's relatively easy apart from getting the timing on really slow songs right. The real challenge is getting a poo poo hot amp, or in the case of EW the right fuzz pedal.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oh man blasting out anything from Holy Mountain on your cheap €100 amp is so much fun. Especially when you're jamming with some dudes who've never heard of Sleep but just start playing along anyway.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Mar 23, 2011

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Space human being posted:

If you want more noodly pentatonic stuff you can't go wrong with anything from Holy Mountain. You already know Dragonaut, don't you?
Yup! Though I can't flawlessly pull off the fast section yet without doing it really slowly. I'll get there.

I agree with the guy talking about Electric Wizard, the riffs are slow and repetitive to play along with but really easy to find the pentatonic scale they're using and just jam on top of it (like the second guitar on the intro to Funeralopolis).

This Devonali label is great, I'm really enjoying the new Lento album while downloading a bunch of other bands' material, so I'm looking forward to getting stuck into them.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You should stick Lento in the recommended section of the OP.

Cluricaun
Jul 31, 2009

Bang.
Does anyone else think that Entombed's stuff from the Wolverine Blues ep forward kind of fits in this discussion? I was blasting Hollowman on the way to work this morning and while I know that they're commonly referred to as Death 'n Roll or whatever I could see that kind of stuff fitting in with plenty of others already mentioned in this thread.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

Wait, wait, LENTO has a new album out?! I loved their last one, definitely will snag the new.

Edit: You can download the entire album for free from their label's site: http://denovali.com/lento/

Also, check out this searing-hot vinyl set, I'm ordering it if there's still any available: http://denovali.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=4599

Diseased Yak fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 23, 2011

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Diseased Yak posted:

Wait, wait, LENTO has a new album out?! I loved their last one, definitely will snag the new.

The album is amazing, gotta say, contenders for my best of 2011 start here.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Idioteque Dance posted:

Learning to play Kyuss songs is pretty fun. I've been teaching myself to play Asteroid, although I can't quite keep up with the fast part at the end. On the upside, it's pretty easy to find tabs for their songs if there are parts you're not sure about.

edit: Bongripper is another good one. Worship is pretty easy to figure out and jam along with.

Otto Octopus fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 23, 2011

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Cluricaun posted:

Does anyone else think that Entombed's stuff from the Wolverine Blues ep forward kind of fits in this discussion? I was blasting Hollowman on the way to work this morning and while I know that they're commonly referred to as Death 'n Roll or whatever I could see that kind of stuff fitting in with plenty of others already mentioned in this thread.

Entombed discussion can probably either go into the metal thread or possibly even the punk thread. There's a resurgence of hardcore punk bands that use Boss HM-2's that have been labeled 'Entombed-core' in the vein of Trap Them and Black Breath.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.
That Red Fang EP is fucken boss, been listening to that and Clutch and Kyuss at D&D nights and now all my fellow nerds are feeling the sludge, it's awesome.

Wolverine Blues is easily my favourite Entombed record, but I gotta agree that they definitely don't fit in here. Youtube search Chief Rebel Angel (Live), and now I'm done derailing.

e: Anyone in here enjoys jamming this kinda stuff from the Ottawa area? I have drums.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I can't really imagine that it would be too hard to learn some Thergothon songs, although hitting the guitar tone could be tricky.

edit: also, I would like to recommend the debut album of Saturnus if you like death'ish doom metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNC4p7V2SdU

MrBling fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 23, 2011

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

amplifier worship posted:

That Red Fang EP is fucken boss, been listening to that and Clutch and Kyuss at D&D nights and now all my fellow nerds are feeling the sludge, it's awesome.

Three of the most Dungeons and Dragons stoner bands.

The Sword, High on Fire, and obviously Sabbath are rad for the same kind of feel. I also once had a DM run a game based on Mastodon's Blood Mountain.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

plester1 posted:

Three of the most Dungeons and Dragons stoner bands.

The Sword, High on Fire, and obviously Sabbath are rad for the same kind of feel. I also once had a DM run a game based on Mastodon's Blood Mountain.

High on Fire's a bit heavy for these dudes, but Mammatus is another great one for that feel. That DM sounds awesome.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

You should stick Lento in the recommended section of the OP.

Oh man this is the first I've heard of Lento. I'm really excited about them. Earlier today I was thinking about asking this thread if someone could point me to a doomy crushing band that does some weird time/pattern stuff. For lack of a better comparison: kind of like a doom/stoner/psychedelic Meshuggah. I really like that it's instrumental.

are there any more bands that are kind of like that?

I'm in Lento love :swoon:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

For lack of a better comparison: kind of like a doom/stoner/psychedelic Meshuggah.

loving hell. I know what band I'm checking out tonight.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Oh man this is the first I've heard of Lento. I'm really excited about them. Earlier today I was thinking about asking this thread if someone could point me to a doomy crushing band that does some weird time/pattern stuff. For lack of a better comparison: kind of like a doom/stoner/psychedelic Meshuggah. I really like that it's instrumental.

Not very psychedelic or dark, but some people were going absolutely nuts over these guys five or six years ago in NMD, and they certainly don't stick to 4/4. Progressive stoner metal band (also instrumental) Zebulon Pike.

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW
It was touched on in the last thread, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend female fronted bands. Deathdoom is preferred, but all styles of doom are welcomed in reply. I am already aware of Mythic and Thorr's Hammer. Anyone know if Derketa(pre-Mythic)was doomy as well?

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

It was touched on in the last thread, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend female fronted bands. Deathdoom is preferred, but all styles of doom are welcomed in reply. I am already aware of Mythic and Thorr's Hammer. Anyone know if Derketa(pre-Mythic)was doomy as well?

Most of their stuff is less doomy than just really sludgy and dirty, but I loving love that bass line.
Lullabye Arkestra - Icy Hands
How are Shallow North Dakota and Kittens still not in the OP? Canadian Rock! :canada: :black101:
Kittens - Great Dane
Shallow North Dakota - The Lubber

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

Do you know Gallhammer? Japanese black/doom/crust; all girls. Fuckin' bilious.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6balaHGQg38

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

You will more than likely love Ufomammut's Eve.
They did a split with Lento a while back, think they might be on the same label but the music is very similar and Eve is an incredible album. Many here swear to Snailking but I've never heard it.

CoffeeInjection
Feb 27, 2011

by angerbeet
No mention of Orange Goblin yet?

Absolutely killer band from the UK that has been going for 15 years and been consistently good.
Saw them last year along with Eternal Elysium (another great band) and Place of Skulls, was awesome.

My playlist of stoner/doom/psychedelic/similar currently consists of 3298 tracks and is steadily growing. I'm gonna list some of the artists, except some of the really obvious ones already mentioned like Kyuss and Electric Wizard:

Gorilla Monsoon
Dragonauta
Spiritual Beggars
The Machine
The Awesome Machine
The Mushroom River Band
Thulsa Doom
Truckfighters
Sheavy
The Cumshots
Honcho
Sahg
Smoke
Cowboys & Aliens
Alabama Thunderpussy
Dozer
Cavalar
Corruption
Mannhai
Kaihoro
Goatsnake
The Obsessed
Fireball Ministry
Nightstalker
Clutch
Terra Firma
Blood Farmers
Valley of The Sun
Nebula
Earthless
Dead Meadow
Galactus 77
Brutus
Backwoods Payback
Kalas
Ancestors
Keelhaul
Tummler
Queen Elephantine
Halfway to Gone
Solace
Five Horse Johnson
Ten East
Josiah
Flower Travellin' Band

Whoa, that ended up way longer than I thought it would. Some of these bands may be more psychedelic than stoner/doom, but still great stuff worth checking out.

Kyuss Lives played in my hometown two weeks ago but unfortunately I didn't get a chance to buy a ticket, but they will play again in August, so I'll make sure to get one in time now. Was too young to see or appreciate them when they were originally ongoing, so I'm really looking forward to it. :)

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

This reminds me apparently Kat left Salome.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

cheap sunglasses posted:

This reminds me apparently Kat left Salome.

What?? :(

Source please.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

You could try Dark Castle.

Stevie Floyd :swoon:

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

You will more than likely love Ufomammut's Eve.
They did a split with Lento a while back, think they might be on the same label but the music is very similar and Eve is an incredible album. Many here swear to Snailking but I've never heard it.
It was actually a full-on collaboration album, and yeah it's well worth checking out.

Snailking is awesome too, though they're all worth listening to.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

Thought you bearded folks might like to see my latest vinyl acquisitions:

Ufomammut - Eve (limited import red vinyl)

Electric Wizard - Black Masses (limited import tri-color vinyl)

Kudos to EW for once again pumping their album covers full of nudity.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:stare:

You lucky man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Diseased Yak posted:

Ufomammut - Eve (limited import red vinyl)

I got this last September at their gig. If I recall correctly, the pressing was made especially for the tour.