Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Sup red vynil EVE buddies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

HMorg posted:

I got this last September at their gig. If I recall correctly, the pressing was made especially for the tour.

I'm gonna sell mine when the prices go over 100€.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It's only a mild infection...
It's definitely a beautiful album. I got mine from allthatisheavy.com but I see now it doesn't even show up on their site. I've learned the hard way to order limited edition vinyl as soon as I see the email come through.

Wampa Stompa
Aug 15, 2008

I literally have no idea what I just saw in there!
Grimey Drawer
Alright, 2 BIG pieces of concert news:

:siren:Melvins:siren: are playing their classic albums in their entirety on special upcoming tour. All of the first night shows are Lysol/Eggnog/Houdini and the second night is Bullhead/Stoner Witch. GO TO BOTH. I'm gonna be at both the Williamsburg ones; we should all have a big Melvins party. Tickets go onsale tomorrow at noon (there's an American Express presale going on now, though).

Melvins - 2011 Tour Dates
May 13 Seattle, WA The Crocodile
May 14 Seattle, WA The Crocodile
May 16 San Francisco, CA Great American Music Hall
May 17 San Francisco, CA Great American Music Hall
May 27 Austin, TX Mohawk
May 28 Austin, TX Mohawk
May 31 Chicago, IL Double Door
June 1 Chicago, IL Double Door
June 3 Boston, MA Paradise Rock Club
June 4 Boston, MA Paradise Rock Club
June 6 Brooklyn, NY Music Hall of Williamsburg
June 7 Brooklyn, NY Music Hall of Williamsburg
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2011/03/melvins_survive.html

:siren:Sleep :siren: is doing one more reunion mini-tour across the US and Canada. If you missed them in the Fall (or if you didn't), be sure to go; they were incredible. Only three shows, so be sure to get tickets pronto. They go onsale tomorrow at noon (there's another AmEx presale).

June 22 New York, NY Terminal 5
June 24 Calgary, AB Sled Island Festival
June 26 Los Angeles, CA The Wilte
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2011/03/sleep_are_retur.html

Wampa Stompa fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 25, 2011

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME
Only a week and a half until I get to see Kyuss Lives! I'm so loving stoked...

Apparently they're being supported by BURDEN. Anyone hear them before? Listening to their stuff on MySpace they seem alright, but I fully expect Kyuss to poo poo all over them.

Nelson Mandela fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 25, 2011

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Has anyone else heard "Migration" by Buried At Sea? It might be the heaviest album in my collection.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

jadias posted:

Only a week and a half until I get to see Kyuss Lives! I'm so loving stoked...

Bristol? I'm seeing them there on the 6th and I'm starting to get excited now, I have a feeling I'm going to be listening little else for the next week or so.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
Cannot wait for Crowbar/Saint Vitus/Kylesa tomorrow, pumped as all hell. Finally get to see one of my favorite NOLA bands come to town.

Wampa Stompa posted:

:siren:Sleep :siren: is doing one more reunion mini-tour across the US and Canada. If you missed them in the Fall (or if you didn't), be sure to go; they were incredible. Only three shows, so be sure to get tickets pronto. They go onsale tomorrow at noon (there's another AmEx presale).

June 22 New York, NY Terminal 5

Holy poo poo, I am there!

Crimbo Hardstyle
Apr 23, 2006

HISS

Carl Pagan posted:

Cannot wait for Crowbar/Saint Vitus/Kylesa tomorrow, pumped as all hell. Finally get to see one of my favorite NOLA bands come to town.

I saw them on Tuesday, as well as Red Fang, Howl, The Atlas Moth and Helmet. Red Fang was fun, but Kylesa was definitely the high point of the night.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

Crackerman posted:

Bristol? I'm seeing them there on the 6th and I'm starting to get excited now, I have a feeling I'm going to be listening little else for the next week or so.
Manchester on 5th :)

This is especially awesome because I was too young to catch Kyuss the first time around. This is the closest I'm gonna get. I'm as excited as I was when I applied for Led Zeppelin tickets a few years back, except I can actually see Kyuss (well, 3/4 of them) without raping my bank account or winning a lottery with odds of a million to one.

TheMightyCheese posted:

Red Fang was fun, but Kylesa was definitely the high point of the night.
I think I'd poo poo myself if I had the chance to see both of these bands on the same night. I love them both. I hope they both do UK tours (again!) soon... or come to Japan while I'm out there.

im_sorry posted:

Also, it looks like sHeavy has released a bunch of their albums as free downloads. I'm downloading them now - I've always wanted to order their music, but never did, for some stupid reason. The link on their official site is http://www.sheavy.com/albums.html.
Thanks for this! :D

Nelson Mandela fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 25, 2011

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Diseased Yak posted:

I swear, all the masturbatory, Dragon Force-esque solos in the world don't drive me to play guitar, but listening to some sludgey, down-tuned, face-melting riffs do indeed!

Hearing masturbatory Dragon-force-esque solos makes me more likely to give up - simple, awesome sounding poo poo makes me want to learn how to play the guitar more than anything.

I recently got a chromatic tuner, and last night, I tuned my guitar down to C, and found the tab for Dragonaut. I've never felt so motivated to practice guitar in my life!! I don't think I'll ever tune it back to standard.

Also, it looks like sHeavy has released a bunch of their albums as free downloads. I'm downloading them now - I've always wanted to order their music, but never did, for some stupid reason. The link on their official site is http://www.sheavy.com/albums.html.

edit: Holy poo poo!! I had heard that the vocalist sounded like Ozzy, buy GOD drat!!! He often sounds just like him!!

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 26, 2011

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.

Wampa Stompa posted:

:siren:Sleep :siren:
June 24 Calgary, AB Sled Island Festival

Anyone going to this, get ready for an intimate performance because loving NOBODY is going Calgary for any reason ever, not even Sleep. They obviously don't want ticket sales or they'd go to Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver/St. Johns. This is clearly meant to be a small show with a small turnout, and it's going to be loving HEAVY.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

jadias posted:

Manchester on 5th :)

This is especially awesome because I was too young to catch Kyuss the first time around. This is the closest I'm gonna get. I'm as excited as I was when I applied for Led Zeppelin tickets a few years back, except I can actually see Kyuss (well, 3/4 of them) without raping my bank account or winning a lottery with odds of a million to one.

Yeah same, I didn't get into them until about 2005 and they started me down the whole stoner road, it was sheer luck that I found out they were touring. I even found a Kyuss t-shirt my girlfriend made me back then which I thought I'd lost forever to wear to the gig.

I also found out I just missed Masters of Reality touring in support of The Cult about a month or so ago. I need to play closer attention.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

amplifier worship posted:

Anyone going to this, get ready for an intimate performance because loving NOBODY is going Calgary for any reason ever, not even Sleep. They obviously don't want ticket sales or they'd go to Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver/St. Johns. This is clearly meant to be a small show with a small turnout, and it's going to be loving HEAVY.

Yeah, it's a seriously weird choice for a gig. Even though I'm in BC I probably won't end up going unless a lot of my buds are as well.

If any of you are looking for some easy stoner rock songs to learn on guitar, Fu Manchu pretty much have the market cornered on simple Sabbathy riffs. Anything off In Search Of... or The Action is Go is perfect for jamming along to.
I gave Regal Begal a shot on my youtube channel a while back. There's a video on there of me playing "Dragonaut" as well but it's pretty bad.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

drat, Sleep are never ever gonna tour outside of the US, are they :(

Which is a shame, they'd easily make a fortune from it.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Buzzoven cancelled their european tour. Guess who's got flights, hotels and tix bought and paid for their london gig.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It's only a mild infection...
gently caress me, all these awesome tours and I have to live in the rear end-crack of America that bands avoid (rightly so) like the plague. Le sigh.

Two new (to me) albums I've spun up this morning, worthy of mention:

Weedeater - Jason... the Dragon
Standard awesome Weedeater riffs. The album kinda goes off into different genres on a couple of tracks, but I don't mind. Loves me some Weedeater; album does not disappoint necessarily, just wish there was more to it.

Brotherhood of Sleep - Dark As Light
Instrumental album with four tracks, the shortest of which is over 11.5 minutes. Crushing riffs and amazing tone. I love what they've achieved here. Lots of psychedelic action as well, which will go on for a while, then suddenly you get dragged back down into the depths to be pummeled by titanic sludge. Reminds me of Mammatus awesome The Coast Explodes, only way loving heavier. Highly recommended.

EDIT: After listening through it twice, I'm ready to pronounce the Brotherhood of Sleep album my favorite album so far this year. Holy gently caress it's awesome!

Diseased Yak fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 25, 2011

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

Diseased Yak posted:

Instrumental album with four tracks, the shortest of which is over 11.5 minutes. Crushing riffs and amazing tone. I love what they've achieved here. Lots of psychedelic action as well, which will go on for a while, then suddenly you get dragged back down into the depths to be pummeled by titanic sludge. Reminds me of Mammatus awesome The Coast Explodes, only way loving heavier. Highly recommended.
Listening to this now. Not listened to any of their stuff before. Liking it A LOT, thanks!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Diseased Yak posted:

EDIT: After listening through it twice, I'm ready to pronounce the Brotherhood of Sleep album my favorite album so far this year. Holy gently caress it's awesome!

They're on the same Greek label as Sun of Nothing, I posted a huge compilation from Spinalonga Records a few pages back that has new stuff from both bands!

\/\/\/\/
The new Weedeater is so drat short though :(

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Mar 26, 2011

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Diseased Yak posted:

gently caress me, all these awesome tours and I have to live in the rear end-crack of America that bands avoid (rightly so) like the plague. Le sigh.

Two new (to me) albums I've spun up this morning, worthy of mention:

Weedeater - Jason... the Dragon
Standard awesome Weedeater riffs. The album kinda goes off into different genres on a couple of tracks, but I don't mind. Loves me some Weedeater; album does not disappoint necessarily, just wish there was more to it.

Brotherhood of Sleep sounds promising, I look forward to hearing it. I'm loving the new Weedeater though, but I suppose my expectations were for nothing short of just standard Weedeater riffs and attitude, which is good enough for me.

soundsection
May 10, 2010

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

It was touched on in the last thread, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend female fronted bands. Deathdoom is preferred, but all styles of doom are welcomed in reply. I am already aware of Mythic and Thorr's Hammer. Anyone know if Derketa(pre-Mythic)was doomy as well?

MONARCH

Maybe more funeral/drone than you are looking for, but I think they are excellent.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Juaguocio posted:

If any of you are looking for some easy stoner rock songs to learn on guitar, Fu Manchu pretty much have the market cornered on simple Sabbathy riffs. Anything off In Search Of... or The Action is Go is perfect for jamming along to.

Seriously? Man, those were two of the first stoner rock albums I ever bought. Actually, my first real intro into the world of stoner rock was when I picked up "Carnival Bizarre" by Cathedral in about 1996... although at the time, I had just gotten heavily into death/black metal, and absolutely hated it at first, but it ended up growing on me like kudzu.

I've been playing the hell out of that bass I bought last weekend (a $300 BC Rich Warlock 4 string), doing mostly scales and finger exercises, but I'd like to start learning some actual songs. Do most stoner rock songs need the bass downtuned like they do on the guitar?

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

soundsection posted:

MONARCH

Maybe more funeral/drone than you are looking for, but I think they are excellent.

Love these dudes. THe vocals take a little getting used to for me, and it never really fits the rest of the tone, but the songs are really great if you like the early Earth style drone and sludgier slower stuff

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Bought my ticket for Helmet/St. Vitus/Crowbar/Whoever else. Anyone else going to the Denver show?

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009

JohnnyMondo posted:

Love these dudes. THe vocals take a little getting used to for me, and it never really fits the rest of the tone, but the songs are really great if you like the early Earth style drone and sludgier slower stuff

O shi! I didn't think these guys were very big. Absolutely great live, plus they've got a cute as hell French girl on vox. Wearing their shirt at the moment in fact!

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

im_sorry posted:

Seriously? Man, those were two of the first stoner rock albums I ever bought. Actually, my first real intro into the world of stoner rock was when I picked up "Carnival Bizarre" by Cathedral in about 1996... although at the time, I had just gotten heavily into death/black metal, and absolutely hated it at first, but it ended up growing on me like kudzu.

I've been playing the hell out of that bass I bought last weekend (a $300 BC Rich Warlock 4 string), doing mostly scales and finger exercises, but I'd like to start learning some actual songs. Do most stoner rock songs need the bass downtuned like they do on the guitar?

D is a common tuning, 1 step down. And yeah, you gotta downtune if you want it to sound right.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

im_sorry posted:

Yeah, unless you're Geezer Butler where every song is one long solo, the bass generally plays the root note of whatever the guitar's doing, so both are usually tuned the same. The only song I can think of that isn't like that is Melvins-Boris where the guitar is tuned to drop A (A3 on the piano) and the bass plays the same riff on the A string tuned standard (also A3).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The two lowest strings on Ronald Petzke's (Bongripper) bass are downtuned to low F.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Optimum Gulps posted:

Not very psychedelic or dark, but some people were going absolutely nuts over these guys five or six years ago in NMD, and they certainly don't stick to 4/4. Progressive stoner metal band (also instrumental) Zebulon Pike.

Thanks! I tried to give these guys an honest go but on two occasions I found it to be a bit guitar noodley which is a shame because they have some awesome music. I might try to give them some more tries because the music is bad rear end, just not the sound I would prefer.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You will more than likely love Ufomammut's Eve.
They did a split with Lento a while back, think they might be on the same label but the music is very similar and Eve is an incredible album. Many here swear to Snailking but I've never heard it.

I really like Eve. I had looked up Ufomammut briefly during the old thread and they didn't jump out at me initially. I think I only tried one song though so there you go.

This is all very awesome. I've been into heavy music for a long time, mostly death metal/grind but I had no idea there was this whole doom/stoner/sludge genre you could cast your net into and pull out fantastic stuff. I've known about the genre, I just didn't know there was so much good stuff. I saw Weedeater what must have been at least 12 years ago, I saw Electric Wizard a few years ago. I like a little Kyuss. I love Sleep. Ancestors got me excited about new bands but holy god lord jesus I had know idea that there were bands like Yob, Lento and Ufomammut. So the reason I typed all that self indulgent stuff was to demonstrate how awesome this thread is, I thought I knew, but I didn't. I'm getting better now. This is the music I've been looking (not that hard) for. Thanks Satan Worshiping Goons!

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Bongripper - Worship/Satan/Doom
and
YOB - Ball of Molten Lead

These songs have been about the only thing I've listened to for almost a week straight. They're goddamn beautiful pieces of music and have ruined most other music for me lately. Any suggestions for more of this beautiful poo poo? I have the typical Orange Goblin, Electric Wizard discog but eh. I've played them out.

I really can't overstate how good Ball of Molten Lead is. This song blows me away each and every time. It's great.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 28, 2011

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Old Man Gloom

There has been no mention of Old Man Gloom. I don't know why I bring them up since they're not doing anything these days, but I love this loving band.

It's really a side project for the principle members, which hail from more well-known bands:

Caleb Scofield (Cave In/Zozobra)
Aaron Turner (Isis)
Nate Newton (Converge)
Santos Montano (Zozobra)

But honestly... OMG is so much weirder and cooler than all of those bands. If you're familiar with Hydra Head's backcatalog you've probably heard of these guys, and you probably know what they sound like. Think albums full of 1-2 minute loud songs and 3-5 minute improvisational/avant garde songs, and one album that's just a 27 minute song (which is also their best album).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZLFp3yhpFQ

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

The Whole Internet posted:

Old Man Gloom

There has been no mention of Old Man Gloom. I don't know why I bring them up since they're not doing anything these days, but I love this loving band.
I'm not a fan really (of the vocals, mainly) but any band that names a song 'Sonic Wave of Bees' is doing something right.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
Speaking of Hydra Head, Khlyst is an interesting act too. James Plotkin and Runhild Gammelsaeter from Thorr's Hammer doing ambient drone-ish doom with goofball black metal vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAvhQJdan2U

After Khanate broke up Alan Dubin formed Gnaw, which is noisy electronic stuff, but still has a very sludgy feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-nQBi6KzvY

Also, anyone else into Zeni Geva? Screwy Japanese sludge, not like Corrupted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3FqQwmRiBk

But you should listen to Corrupted too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHkWMDNTvhY

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Faffel posted:

Bongripper - Worship/Satan/Doom
and
YOB - Ball of Molten Lead

These songs have been about the only thing I've listened to for almost a week straight. They're goddamn beautiful pieces of music and have ruined most other music for me lately. Any suggestions for more of this beautiful poo poo? I have the typical Orange Goblin, Electric Wizard discog but eh. I've played them out.

I really can't overstate how good Ball of Molten Lead is. This song blows me away each and every time. It's great.
Try maybe Toner Low, or the new Brotherhood of Sleep album that was recently mentioned - really good stuff there and hopefully along the lines of what you're thinking of. All of YOB's other stuff is worth checking out if you haven't.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.

The Whole Internet posted:

Old Man Gloom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZLFp3yhpFQ

Jesus gently caress that's good. This is exactly why I read this thread.

cheap sunglasses posted:

Also, anyone else into Zeni Geva?

High fives, Zeni Geva is the dirtiest kind of cool. KK Null is also worth a listen or twelve.

Idioteque Dance posted:

Try maybe Toner Low, or the new Brotherhood of Sleep album that was recently mentioned - really good stuff there and hopefully along the lines of what you're thinking of. All of YOB's other stuff is worth checking out if you haven't.

edit: Just to save a couple of minutes:
Toner Low - Devilbots Designed to Assimilate (wish I could find "Through Waving Fields of Grass We Battle")
Yob - All the Children Forgotten ("I see the beauty in life, BUT I DON'T SEE THE DOGMA, DON'T SEE THE DOGMA!!")
Warhorse - Every Flower Dies No Matter the Thorn
UFO Mammut - Hopscotch
UFO Gestapo - {some stuff live, a bit more punk than drone, but still slow and heavy}
Flood - Dam
Old One - Doomed (my favourite doom-jam-rock-two-piece, these guys never disappoint)

edit2: Fans of the Italian stoner movement (like Lento, UFO Gestapo, UFO Mammut) need to hear Morkobot. Turn it up. A lot.

amplifier worship fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Mar 28, 2011

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

amplifier worship posted:

UFO Mammut

Not trying to be a pedantic rear end, but it's "Ufomammut," pronounced 'oo-foh-mammut", nothing having to do with flying saucers.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

QPZIL posted:

Not trying to be a pedantic rear end, but it's "Ufomammut," pronounced 'oo-foh-mammut", nothing having to do with flying saucers.

Ahem:
Top right corner:

Ufomammut Website posted:

UFOMAMMUT means…
UFO [,ju:ef'ou] abbreviation of U(nidentified) F(lying) O(bject)
MAMMUT ['mæmmoot] italian for mammoth

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Ahem:
Top right corner:

He was right about the pronunciation, though.

Ninja edit: And the spelling.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
Welp, looks like we were both right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

From Ufomammut's twitter: