Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

aliencowboy posted:

Where do I start with Nadja?

One of my all-time favorite bands. The album Thaumogenesis is my favorite by them, crushingly slow and heavy and their album When the Sun Always Shines on TV is a close second and it's also completely different from their other stuff. It's a collection of covers of unlikely inspirations done in their trademark style that makes for a very gloomy shoegaze time.

Their early albums are definitely spot on, they've become a lot more ambient and experimental lately. Touched, Numbness (a collection of more shoegazey songs), Truth Becomes Death and Bliss torn from Emptiness are all stellar early releases. Some of the newer stuff like Desire in Uneasiness, The Bungled and the Botched and Autopergamene are all great releases although a bit different from their early stuff.

Then you have their collaborations which are more miss than hit for the most part but there are some amazing gems in them. A lot of them are improvised sessions which helps explain a lot of their disjointed or ambient feel. Pyramids with Nadja is probably their best collab, different from their other stuff, very weird and very good. It's basically Nadja's textures, drums, guitar drone with Pyramids overlaying their bizarre music. Nadja w/ Black Boned Angel is great, Kodiak and Nadja's split is great, Primitive North (split with a Storm of Light) is good.

They also have a new one coming out called Konstruktion very shortly which is a collab with Galena.

Their collab with OVO is terrible. Also Under the Jaguar Sun.

Dead Skin Mask (Slayer cover) off of When I See the Sun Always Shines on TV
Veil of Disillusion off of Numbness.
Into the Silent Waves off of Pyramids with Nadja.
Thaumogenesis (Live) a live, shortened version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Hey guys, what are some of the big name or great releases that came out over the past six months or so? I haven't been paying attention a whole recently and what with Boris and Grails both having new ones out I was wondering what else I might be missing out on while I catch up on some old favourites.

An album I've been digging recently has been Man's Gin's album Smiling Dogs. It's not straight stoner but it's similar in atmosphere to Clutch mixed with Crippled Black Phoenix and more upbeat Harvestman or other Steve von Till work. I'm sure there's a bunch of you here who'll love it.

Man's Gin - Solid Gold Telephone

edit: I forgot to mention it's by the guys in the black metal band Cobalt and their phenomenal album Gin