Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Idioteque Dance posted:

Our most recent posts have focused on ultra-low downtuning, and seeing Horseback live.

As I've got a couple of guitars to mess around with, I'd like to tune one of them down way more than I can currently manage. What kind of gauge strings would I need to play, for example, Satan Worshipping Doom (tuned to F, apparently)? I got some slightly thicker than normal strings a while back but it gets way too floppy by the time I get to, say, A#.

Really hope I get to see Horseback someday!

Quantum of Phallus: as you probably still have the raw, would it be OK to edit the header image and add the extra 'P' in there? I know you used the standard US spelling but it's not consistent with the album name on which you have punned :I

How long is the neck of the guitar?

I'm getting an 8 string in the mail tomorrow so I can do standard all while having a B + F# (and potentially lower).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I love Dopefight but I can't help but think their album is really, really repetitive. It would work better as an EP. Maybe i'm not getting high enough.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The new Orthodox is insane. The vocals are wrecking me. Anyone heard this?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

What bands should I check out if I want more vocals like Orthodox/Neurosis? That extremely punchy and hateful full vocal style wrecks me. Sometimes I need to feel like the vocalist is pissed at me and needs to yell at me.

amplifier worship posted:

First of all, loving YES, Noothgrush are incredibly :black101: and totally worthy of :worship:

Being sober is the best way to appreciate all stoner/sludge/doom/drone records, in my humble ex-pothead opinion. I grew up with weed and that poo poo made me listen to some seriously revolting acts and think they were cool; conversely, once I outgrew my bong several years ago, my judgment improved drastically, and I started really feeling the fringe poo poo I had theretofore regarded as exclusively for passive, stoned listening. Use your ears to hear music. Use your brain to hear music. Don't use your Zig-Zags to hear music.

I realize this is completely contradictory to the entire genre, but it's what made me personally start loving the music as appreciable genius as opposed to just some riffs boring enough to keep my attention while high. Still love the theme, still love the drug (from afar), still love the aesthetic, still worship Satan. Just saying that Dopefight record is loving awesome, and what the poo poo is "too repetitive"?

Weed isn't really a passive drug for me. It enhances things and I notice so much more when i'm listening to music high. I'm such a music nerd that I can't help but completely immerse myself in every album I listen to. Mind + ears + weed is a perfect mix for me.

Anyway I didn't want to sound negative about the Dopefight album, I loving love it. I just think it goes on for a bit longer than necessary. Still an easy 4.5/5 or higher from me.

OP suggestion: Add Warning - Watching From A Distance to the first post. It's the most intense doom albums I've heard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FMr61LyEV0

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 21, 2011

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Random music for you guys, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuRKRFjm-HA

Idioteque Dance posted:

Thanks for the reminder, I've not listened to them in ages. It is really good.

Meanwhile, I just learned to play the oft-linked Dopefight - Saviour on guitar and while pretty simple, it is really really fun to play. Anybody have any other good songs they've been learning on guitar? I need to stop jamming so much and start building a repertoire, but I'd rather it be stoner/sludge/doom than more popular rock songs.

I've been playing tons of early Electric Wizard since I got my 8 string. Their songs aren't really fun to play as a whole for me but taking a handful of riffs and seeing where you can take them is awesome. They give me tons of ideas.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

For lack of a better comparison: kind of like a doom/stoner/psychedelic Meshuggah.

loving hell. I know what band I'm checking out tonight.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Quantum of Phallus posted:

gently caress.
YES.

Can't wait.

The wait is going to kill me, still awesome news.

midge posted:

For those interested, the Mastodon Live At The Aragon 2xLP+DVD comes out on Record Store Day 2011, next Saturday.

http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/4914

gently caress yes

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I didn't even know they released a new album. I'm all over that poo poo now.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I had never heard Bask so I decided to throw on the new album last night while editing photos. That was good stuff, I can't say I expected the directions it went in. I'll definitely come back to that one.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Yea melding styles is one thing but I was NOT expecting a Ska record.

I usually dislike the whole HEY CHECK OUT THIS JAZZ BREAK ALSO HEY YALL LIKE DOOM RIFFS HOW ABOUT COUNTRY LICKS AND OH OH OH WAIT FOR THE TRIBUTE TO TOTO'S AFRICA 17 MINUTES IN approach to "progressive" music but this stuff nails it. It's smooth and subdued. It flows.

Vocals are really good too. They're actually the one thing I wasn't sold on completely but listening now, I'm down. Very calming and catchy.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

For some reason I've been avoiding Truckfighters because the name reminded me of Drive By Truckers. When I was around 15 I blind bought a DBT album from Best Buy expecting cool metal for some reason. It was a huge letdown. But Truckfighters? Holy poo poo this is gooooood.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Juaguocio posted:

They're a great live band. Huge sound for a power trio, and a really fun, high energy set with lots of crowd interaction. Super nice guys too! They do use a lot of stoner rock cliches, but they're so good at what they do that it doesn't come across as silly at all.

On a similar note, I was really impressed with Red Fang last night. I only really knew of them from that one video with the beer can armor, but their newer material is excellent, and their live show ruled.

Oh, and here's another new Bison track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNZ8IFrqRYw

That's awesome, they do come across as a good bunch of guys so it's nice to know the reality matches. I'm not yet very familiar with their albums but I can sense the energy and I guess humor. Demeanor maybe. I don't know what it is but I dig it.

I'll have to listen to the new Red Fang. I was into them when that video dropped but the newer songs didn't hook me right away.

Pokey Araya posted:

Awwwww poo poo, music video for our new album dropped, hope you guys like munchies, weed, and shirtless dudes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAj8TZhOOZU

http://decibelmagazine.com/blog/2017/5/29/video-premiere-destroyer-of-light-into-the-smoke

This is the good poo poo right here. drat dudes.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Jacksonville boooooo why can't that be Orlando. I've wanted to check you guys out since seeing your live setup. It's imposing.

What tuning are you all in?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I've been in B and don't sound half that heavy. loving hell. Time to woodshed the riff writing.

I'll give them a listen. I've been so put off by the local scenes because all I used to hear was bad hardcore/bad deathcore/bad mathcore. The swamplands need more murky swampy gatordoom.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yup this is sick.

Shroud Eater - Sudden Plague

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I wish I could get into The Body's music. They seem like good dudes and their aesthetic is great but I can't. That's hilarious though.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm allergic to the noise scene.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

A human heart posted:

Good thing they're not a noise band then.

Not primarily but they show a lot of influence and have worked it into their songs. They're absolutely in the current noise scene/circles/whatever though.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I like it but generally agree. I've been thinking a lot lately about how many threads go back to Pink Floyd from a lot of doom bands. I'd like to see it explored a little more outside of my own attempt at writing music.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm finally getting into the Melvins. How weird is that? I thought why not since I'm in this big huge doomsludge binge. They, uh, really did help form like 90% of these genres didn't they? So far I've been listening to Houdini and recently Bullhead. Both are ace. I wish someone would've showed me them growing up in the 90s so I didn't have to go hard radio rock -> bad metalcore -> etc to find out about good heavy music.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Robophile posted:

First track from the new Chelsea Wolfe is pretty crushing.

http://chelseawolfe.bandcamp.com/album/hiss-spun

Man, she just gets better and better every release.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Trabant posted:

Admittedly, the producer's previous work gives me pause:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nscGRxzH2gg

but the first song gives me hope:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvyNyFXHj4k

I have really high hopes for this album. To be fair Ronson is super talented and has been a huge fan of QotSA for years.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I love the hell out of the song. I'm hoping we'll get a bunch of heavier deserty songs of course but I can listen to Homme polkabilly for hours.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I've never used that channel but I think I'll have to subscribe to it now.

e: this new Bison B.C. albums rips

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 25, 2017

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm looking for some doom/sludge that is more like doomy 70s prog rock/metal/king crimson ripoff than BLUESYWEEDRIFFS. Any suggestions? The new Pallbearer gives me the right vibes but I don't know much else.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm feeling a lot of these suggestions. My YouTube/Apple Music backlog is getting just that much more insurmountable, hell yeah.

Also that new Monolord track is real good. The intro surprised me. They've developed a great personal sound.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sludge Tank posted:

Guys.

I have discovered Cough.

:allears:

They do "that" sound better than anyone imo

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Henchman of Santa posted:

2 tracks in 83 minutes lol

hell

Ben Nerevarine posted:

pretty badass

yessssss

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm always confused about the relative lack of Beksinski album covers in metal.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Spicy personal take: Gira and Christmas are both massively overrated so who cares about their silly possible skirmish anyway

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dyna Soar posted:

heh, well i agree with you on christmas but early swans has been such a huge influence on many, many artists discussed in this thread.

Oh yeah no doubt. I just have this weird thing where I'll go through phases of listening to like 2 hour long noisy experimental album bands and think heh enjoy your traditional BORING music normies. Then I realize I don't actually enjoy any of that and go back to listening to more reasonably structured stuff and have a good time.

Personal opinion, etc etc. I do like some Swans music but at this point I don't feel like listening to anything like that.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dyna Soar posted:

i don't know if you're into like, folk or regular rock but imo giras best albums have been under the angels of light, which is a dark americana sorta band. think 16 hp / woven hand but instead of that old testament feel this one's straight up serial killer dread.

I'll have to check that out, sounds like something I would be into for sure.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I can't blame Elder guy at all. These genres are so dogmatic. If you organically formed a connection to the scene without wanting to be involved in the very nature of it I have to think it's going to wear on you heavily.

Laserface posted:

Electric Wizard announced a new album and here is a song from it.

https://open.spotify.com/album/5M0f3Rs2UxEYXm5C6EaHvG

This is good. Different but I think they needed that. It's still Electric Wizard and the riffs are killer.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I like it a lot but there's something missing where the spooky atmosphere used to be. I don't know. The first track grew on me over time so maybe the entire album will too.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It's taking me a while but the new Ufomammut is good poo poo. First time through I wasn't that into it and the production seemed a little light for the content but nah it's great stuff. I think they sometimes have sneaky depth to their music.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Someone got some Khemmis in my Pallbearer and the apparent result is, Spirit Adrift. I can certainly get behind this.

https://spiritadrift.bandcamp.com/releases

I've been really into this since finding it a few days ago. I love the whole heavy metal/prog but not obnoxious/trad doom combo. Until then I hadn't heard a band besides Pallbearer doing it really well.

Like, poo poo like Conan is awesome. Drop F# riffs that sound like the earth is melting, etc gently caress yeah, but bands like Spirit Adrift make me realize it's all about the mournful melodies and atmospheres. Doesn't have to fit the standard formulas.

Now I should probably go binge some Candlemass.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 10, 2017

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I never liked Pentagram even after trying a bunch of times so I’m glad I don’t have to bother anymore.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dyna Soar posted:

the whole stoner sludge thing is honestly turning into a big inside joke like all those dis- bands in hardcore.

It’s real embarrassing and bad

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Babymetal is infinitely better and more creative than Weedgoliath #538384

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Oh man I am so ready for that