Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
A good start to a new thread; a dearth of death-doom and funeral doom so far, though. Kind of weak on the trad doom side as well (no Candlemass in the OP?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Crimsonjewfro posted:

Which would be the best Candlemass album to recommend? Epicus Doomicus Metallicus is surely the most iconic one, since it has "Solitude" and all, but I think Nightfall is a better album. Plus it's the first one with Messiah.

I think those are about equal, there's not a dud song on either.

On the trad doom side, there's a bit of a subdivision between the original 70s/early 80s proto-doom/heavy metal stuff (Black Sabbath themselves, and bands such as Pentagram and Pagan Altar), and the proper 80s wave (Saint Vitus, Trouble, Candlemass). And then later retro- and semi-retro bands that take up those styles more or less whole.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Eh, I've never partook of the weed at all myself, and Dopethrone is one of my favourite albums of all time.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

MrBling posted:

There isn't really much doom-black metal.

Also, Faustcoven: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URlTvtR6yNA&feature=related

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Diseased Yak posted:

Has Procession been mentioned in these environs? I've had their album Destroyers of the Faith for a while now, but just got around to firing it up this morning on my office rig. Sound pretty great, not the deep riffage that normally raises my mast, but some awesome licks nonetheless. Clean vocals, too, which is a rarity. I give them a tentative thumb's up.

Probably my favourite straight-up doom band at the moment. Saw them live in January and they slayed.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Meatslam posted:

Church of Misery was just what I was looking for, thanks a lot!

Edit: Hmm, all of their songs seem to be about serial killers. Weird.

Not just serial killers, but also spree killers and other types of mass murderers.

:eng101:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Earwicker posted:

I am looking for something with really good atmosphere and composition.

Speaking of stuff in that corner of the genre, gotta mention Fall of Efrafa. Which is all about militant atheism, veganism and Watership Down.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
How I got into doom metal? Well, let's see... :corsair:

Started out by becoming a metalhead in the first place in 1988; for the first few years it was mostly thrash and "plain" metal (i.e. Iron Maiden and such), then death and a little early black metal; my gateway into the doom subgenre was via the early-90s death-doom style as it developed (My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, etc). Later in the 1990s and more so after 2000 I gradually became more fond of doom metal as such (for instance, I'd heard and liked Candlemass many years previously but it was only around the time of the 2005 "reunion" that I went into full-obsessive mode wrt their old albums).

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Haha, auto-translate. Dude's name is Lars Lønning, his last name is simply spelled the same as an idiomatic equivalent of "salary" or "payday". (Also his dad is this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inge_L%C3%B8nning -- now-retired theology professor, onetime rector of the University of Oslo, and national-level Conservative politician. And his uncle is this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Per_L%C3%B8nning - another retired theologian/conservative politician, former bishop, etc. Wonder what they think about the current generation's shenanigans.)

Other than that, the translation is clumsy but workable. This public debate meeting was a pretty cute PR stunt, they got some genuine talking heads to participate.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

ElectricWizard posted:

I'm looking forwards to this, but without understanding the language and culture I think you're missing out. While they have groovy songs and a great live-presence, the political satire is half the reason I listen to Black Debbath.

It also helps to be of about the same age as the members of the band and therefore having grown up with all the same cultural references and so on. What needs to be mentioned is that Black Debbath is only one (arguably the most successful) of a whole fuckload of bands that make up Duplex Records, which grew from the fertile soil of Gartnerlosjen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gartnerlosjen -- literally several dozen "bands" spanning many diverse genres, consisting of slightly different reshuffled combinations of a much more limited number of musicians (many of whom appear in different roles in different bands, and also using different fake names just to add to the confusion). Some of these bands are entirely fictional, some of them only exist in the sense of the members of another band dressing in different costumes and doing a couple of songs in a different genre during a single concert one time, and some of them exist in the sense of a multi-album discography published over the course of a decade or more. Out of the lot, the band that has attracted most international attention is probably Hurra Torpedo (which in typical Duplex Records fashion consists of two of the same guys who are in Black Debbath, and a third guy who is in a bunch of the other bands):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysUjYAi0WcQ

At least one other of the Duplex Records bands is actually relevant to this thread, I speak of course of Thulsa Doom, which is also arguably the least comedic of the whole lot (despite a tendency to complete absurdity in song titles and lyrics): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-foa9II-jT0

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Crimsonjewfro posted:

Does anybody still listen to 90's style doom/death?

After a long time listening almost exclusively to the stoner/sludge varieties of doom, I got a strange urge the other day to get some new doom/death. I'm treating it with Bilocate(a band from Jordan... they'll be one of the opening acts for Orphaned Land in Europe. Pretty good stuff), but I don't really know of many bands that play this style of doom anymore. Suggestions?

What everyone else has already said, plus Mourning Beloveth (I suspect those guys think 1993 was the best year in the history of years).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Crimsonjewfro posted:

Oh, hey, I'd forgotten about them. I remember I bought A Murderous Circus as soon as it came out, back in 2005, but I never thought too much about them. I see they're still active, gonna check out their recent stuff.

It's one of those bands I'll listen to almost obsessively for a few weeks, then forget about for up to several years before repeating the cycle. I guess they only scratch one particular itch but they do scratch it very well.