Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Idioteque Dance posted:

Thanks for the reminder, I've not listened to them in ages. It is really good.

Meanwhile, I just learned to play the oft-linked Dopefight - Saviour on guitar and while pretty simple, it is really really fun to play. Anybody have any other good songs they've been learning on guitar? I need to stop jamming so much and start building a repertoire, but I'd rather it be stoner/sludge/doom than more popular rock songs.

One of the albums I learned to play off of was Age of Winters by The Sword. Down-tuned rudimentary pentatonic riffs are the best to start out with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

It was touched on in the last thread, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend female fronted bands. Deathdoom is preferred, but all styles of doom are welcomed in reply. I am already aware of Mythic and Thorr's Hammer. Anyone know if Derketa(pre-Mythic)was doomy as well?

Do you know Gallhammer? Japanese black/doom/crust; all girls. Fuckin' bilious.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6balaHGQg38

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
Eyehategod - Take As Needed for Pain, Dopesick
Church of Misery - Master of Brutality, The Second Coming

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

NuclearGuru posted:

I have a ticket for the Sleep show in NYC on June 22nd, but I just realized that unfortunately I can't make it. The full price of the ticket after Ticketmaster bullshit was 35, I'll sell it for 30. Just trying to get most of my money back here.

PM/AIM/whatever if you're interested.

I don't have PMs, but I'm very interested in this deal. AIM in profile, hit me up!

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

HMorg posted:

As a downside to this day, they pushed back the release date for the "Come My Fanatics" LP re-release yet again. Oh well, maybe next week.

We got a crate of the Fanatics reissues in at Insound (Brooklyn, NY) last week, so I can't imagine it'll be that much longer for you. They sound killer, by the way!

Going to pimp Batillus' recent release Furnace, out now on CD, digital, and wax over at Seventh Rule. Sounds like a blackened Godflesh/Neurosis in places with lots of sinister and oppressive synth textures. My personal best of '11 so far.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

HMorg posted:

They've got the release date at 23rd at this point (at our local record store). Before that it was the 15th and they've changed it something like 6 times since I pre-ordered the drat thing in January. I'm not too hopeful they'll actually get here by next week. Did your crate come from Rise Above in England or somewhere else?

As for Batillus, I think I need to get it. Perhaps next month.

We got our crate from a US-based distro, I think it might have been Cobraside. The delays have been taxing as all hell, but it's soooo worth it.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

amplifier worship posted:

So excited for this in Toronto!

Oh god ditto NYC. The lineup is going to be bone-crushing.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Fruitcake posted:

Sleep's playing tonight at Terminal 5 in New York City, anyone else going? I'm driving all the way from MA, it's gonna rule and its my birthday. :whatup:

Also I checked the website and they still have tickets for sale.

I'll be there, stoked as hell. I can't imagine a better birthday celebration.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

QPZIL posted:

Did they play "Burning the Altar"? I'm seeing them Monday and I want my eardrums to explode out my butthole.

Yes they did. It was bonecrushing.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

amplifier worship posted:

The worst part about a Boris show is that they seem to keep giving their drummer a mic for some reason. So distracting.

Ugh this. I'm usually all for exuberant "YEAH WOO"s from musicians playing kickass songs, but there's definitely a level where it becomes overdone. They're still a pretty killer live act, and I'd definitely take the opportunity to see them again. Who are they touring with this time?

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

The Gasmask posted:

Did anyone see Wolves in the Throne Room and Thou last night in Brookyn? I had a ticket but ended up getting a wisdom tooth pulled that afternoon, so I had to miss the show :(. I'm pretty bummed, hopefully it rocked for those who went.

It was incredible. Krallice opened (meh), Thou were absolutely monstrous and closed their set with probably the best rendition of "Into The Void" I've heard since the original, and Wolves were nothing short of phenomenal. I was really pleased that the sound at the Bell House was good, because I saw them at Europa last year and it was brickwalled to poo poo.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Myrmidongs posted:

This is exactly the sort of stuff I am looking for right now. Basically my list now is consisting of

Radio Moscow
The Heavy Eyes
Truckfighters
Graveyard
The Sword

Graveyard is especially my favorite, Hisingen Blues is loving incredible. Is there any other recommnded sabbath throwback fuzz bands that I should be listening to?

E: Youtube recommnded Egypt off The Heavy Eyes, they are pretty bitchin.

Dead Meadow, newer Electric Wizard, Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Cometa Rossa posted:

Somebody name me a couple of really, really, really slow doom albums.

Cough - Ritual Abuse
Catacombs - In The Depths of R'lyeh

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
Earthless is also a sweet bet, but they're a lot more jammy than most stoner metal. You shall boogie, this I promise you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCEACSH8YBE

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm combing the thread for previous suggestions, but in case anybody's stumbled on anything new, what's some good, dark desert rock/metal? I've got plenty of Kyuss and Fu Manchu, early Monster Magnet, Witch and the like, but I want more of that groove-oriented feel. I know it's straying out of the purview of this thread, but something like a somewhat heavier version of Lullabies to Paralyze is what I'm looking for.

Pick up Blood Lust by Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats, I think you'll enjoy it.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

nomapple posted:

What do people here think of Wreck and Reference? They're a doom/doomgaze/drone whatever you want to call it group from the US. All of their instrumentation is digital. Initially I had written them off as needlessly pretentious, as often the effects they use sound pretty drat close to a guitar anyway, so why not just use one? but since the release of their latest album, No Youth, they have started to grow on me.

They have been pretty well received critically (so far as I can tell), so I was just wondering, am I the only one missing out on what makes these guys so special?

Those who have listened, what do you think?

Those who are interested in checking them out can download their releases for free from Bandcamp

I'm not exactly sure just what this is, but I'm enjoying it. Thanks for the heads-up!

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Ignatius-J-R posted:

I was happy to find this thread after recently discovering Conan - Monnos while browsing around Pitchfork. It seems I've found quite an affinity for this sound. Will be hoping to discover more like Conan. Suggestions?

If you haven't already, give Dopesmoker by Sleep a listen. Also check out the bands formed by their previous members - Surrounded by Thieves by High on Fire and Pilgrimage by Om are great examples of the sound.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Where's this? I can't find it anywhere :shobon:

http://www.southernlord.com/mp3/dopesmoker.mp3

It sounds awesome. gently caress the haters.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Frank Caskelot posted:

Has anyone received the Dopesmoker vinyl yet? Or does anyone know if they've shipped yet? Southern Lord's website says they'll ship approximately the first week of June.

I got an email from Greg last week saying my order's been processed. Should be on the way by now, I guess.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
Southern Lord just posted this on their Facebook. I'm stoked as fuuuuuck

also christ almighty that new Baroness is epic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

vanov posted:

Anyone listen to Old Man Gloom's new album "No"? I don't remember seeing reviews and I'm a huge Aaron Turner fan, so I'd like to know if it's any good.

I got a big kick out of it. If you like what Aaron does, you probably will too.