Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
I can't believe we're this far in to a new thread and Fu Manchu hasn't even been mentioned.

I think their album King of the Road should be listed in The Essential/Introductory Records section of the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Bit of a long shot here, but I'm supposed to be travelling to California during Easter and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good stoner/sludge/doom shows that are gonna be on between the 15th of April and the 4th of May, anywhere along the coastal area of Cali I guess.

Also what's the story with these sort of shows in the US, is it usually Over 21s with ID or what?

I can't speak for California folks, but I'm sure it's close to the same everywhere in the U.S.: If it's in a bar/club, you'll need ID to get in, but you don't have to be 21. The ID will allow you to get a wrist band or something that shows you're of legal age to drink. If it's in a warehouse/theater/arena type of setting, you won't need ID to get in to the venue, but you will need ID if you plan on purchasing alcohol at the show. That's the way it works around here anyway (PA).

It sounds confusing, but it really isn't. Regardless, carry your ID with you.

Best of luck finding a show or two!

Nit Wit Dog Shit fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 12, 2011

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Treebeh posted:

Glad I found this thread, gonna try to catch up on it soon.

I've recently started listening to bands like Electric Wizard, Orange Goblin, Down, Baroness, High on Fire, etc. and I have to say I'm a little disappointed in myself for not discovering this sub-genre of metal earlier. I can't stop listening to Electric Wizard and Orange Goblin and I feel like I owe it to them to buy a t shirt and rep them a little. Does anyone know where I can get an Electric Wizard or Orange Goblin tshirt for under :20bux:?

Orange Goblin and Electric Wizard.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Psychedelius posted:

Also, Red Fang are indeed great, definitely give them a chance:
Prehistoric Dog (plus hilarious video):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3Vcoq-QRo4

Hilarious vid and great song! I'll definitely be checking out more from these guys.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
For those who haven't heard, Kyuss Lives! announced two U.S. dates with The Sword. They are Sept. 23rd at Terminal 5 in NYC and Oct. 8th at The Fox Theater in Pomona, CA.

They've also revealed they'll record a new album following their current tour.

Info here.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Winston Chill posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q8DppYVEL8

Well, I guess new Red Fang is pretty kick rear end.

Fantastic!

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Don't suppose anyone has a high-res picture of the cover for Boris' first Heavy Rocks album?

You're not talking about this are you?

Probably not, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Not sure if I posted this already but it's worth a listen:

Adult Swim released a Metal compilation album a few years ago called Metal Swim

It's got rarities, B-sides and other stuff from some of the favourites around this thread, like Kylesa,
Torche, Boris, Zoroaster, Pelican, Isis, Black Tusk, Red Fang, Witch Mountain
and others and it's well worth checking out.

Check it out and download it here.

Killer! Thanks for this!

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
For fans of vinyl and Black Sabbath, Sabbath's 'Born Again' Deluxe Edition To Be Released On Vinyl.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Meatslam posted:

Looney Doom

I think the creators of the new Looney Toons listen to Candlemass

Daffy Duck: Still owns.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

seiken posted:

Holy poo poo, life-changing thread. As a dude with a pretty deep love of a vast number of different musical styles I always felt kind of ashamed of my opinion that metal basically started great and got progressively worse from the 70s on. I never liked the really fast really heavy stuff or the wanky theatrical stuff much, and screamy vocals make me cringe; that poo poo is awful. I think the most recent metal album I liked enough to bother hanging on to was Rust in Peace by Megadeth

Anyway recently I stumbled across this http://www.pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/13120-earth-angels-of-darkness-demons-of-light-ii/ and goddamn how was I not aware this genre existed until now? This is seriously the best! People have been making awesome metal all this time it's just that nobody bothered to tell me. So I am gonna check out a lot of the stuff in this thread, thanks for posting it all. Or if you wanna recommend what to listen to first, go ahead, I'm all about the chill stuff and the bluesy stuff

This post is awesome!

I know so many people that say "there's poo poo music to listen to anymore, blah, blah, blah," but yet when I tell people there's so much out there that's great, but just has to be found or re-discovered, they don't want to hear it or they tell me my tastes suck. Really they just don't want to put the time info finding what I'm trying to explain to them. Their loss.

So, yeah, I enjoyed reading someone talking about "re-discovering" they're love for rock 'n roll again.

As a suggestion -- which I don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for – a band I discovered right here in this very thread: Year Long Disaster. I've been listening to them for two weeks straight now and still haven't gotten tired of them.

Have fun finding new stuff and welcome back to rock 'n roll!

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

seiken posted:

Gah! All this time I just needed to know that what I was looking for was called stoner or doom or whatever. I guess it's mostly my fault for assuming those prefixes would just be the same thing as the death or black or whatever varieties. But I blame my metal-loving friends too cause I've been all like "damnit, where is the metal that sounds like early Black Sabbath?" to them before and that seems to be basically the definition of this stuff.

Yeah, if I had to depend on my friends to suggest new music that I might like, I'd be hosed. This thread has been so helpful by having so many recommendations from folks looking, or playing, the same type of music. It's been a lot better research tool than surfing YouTube, LastFM, or Amazon for hours only to find nothing.

Since you mention Black Sabbath, I'll suggest sHEAVY's Electric Sleep for you. You can pretty much take it from there.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

im_sorry posted:

Actually, go here: http://www.sheavy.com/albums.html - you can download all of their albums.

Daa! I should have posted that link. I used it myself to get some of their music.

Thanks.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
News: Fu Manchu Begins Writing New Album.

Views: sweet

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I hope it's appropriate to ask this here, but does anyone know where I can buy the Fuzz Manta album from 2009, Smokerings. Or, hell, any of their others for that matter, but especially Smokerings.

I've done internet searches, had a look at Kozmik, etc., but can't find it anywhere. Am I missing someplace obvious? (I'm in the USA). Thanks for any suggestions.

Here's why I want this album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URQiJ3hhTdU

I looked for about 15 minutes and only found this (which I assume you found as well) and this (half way down the page).

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

aliencowboy posted:

This might be the most stoner metal awesome video ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq1gb50iobU

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I'd be interested to see if more doomier heads than mine can pick out some more bands from the list. Here it is: http://hopscotchmusicfest.com/bands/2012/

The only one I recognized that you guys didn't mention is Corrosion of Conformity.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
Forum goon kahm posted a thread about his new metal/doom/stoner EP called 'Himalaya' in the Musician's Lounge and wants people to pass on the link, so here it is.

I haven't listened to it yet, but I have heard some of his music in the past and enjoyed it.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Juaguocio posted:

I just heard "Sleepy Silver Door" by Dead Meadow in a Miller Lite commercial, which got me thinking - what's the strangest situation where you've heard some stoner/doom?

I saw this Toyota commercial exactly one time. It features Fu Manchu's Mongoose.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Have you ever pondered what the doomier love child of The Sword and Gates of Slumber would sound like? It's called, Kröwnn. They're a three piece from Italy and they play an old brand of doom metal lyrically based on the fantasy works of Howard and Tolkien.

:stare:

Fucken awesome!

My new music library is dangerously low, so I'm adding this to it quickly.

Thanks for the heads up.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Morbid Florist posted:

If ripping off deep purple means playing the same instruments then yes, they did mercilessly rip them off.

To be fair, Leaning On A Bear sounds very reminiscent of Deep Purple MK I, but that's only one of the few songs I listened to so far.

From what I have heard, there is some Purple influence there.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I know this thread isn't the busiest but I was wondering if someone around here is going to attend Stoned From The Underground. Because I hopefully will and it'd be great to meet a fellow goon.

Jesus, that lineup is awesome.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

nerve posted:

Anyone listen to Beast in the Field's new album The Sacred Above the Sacred Below?

Really, REALLY loving this album. Haven't really felt this obsessed with a record since Satan Worshiping Doom I think.

Here's a music video they released for the album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTW0gpC16DE

Thanks for this! I've been listening to "World Ending" by them the last couple of weeks, and really like it. I'm a big fan of the whole instrumental thing, so they're right up my ally.

E: Song for the video is killer!

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

To quote one of the kids that was there:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

casual poster posted:

Holy poo poo, I am also a huge fan of instrumental only. Does anyone have any recommendations for the sort? I'm already aware of bongripper, belzebong and ufonumont (spelled those wrong).

Karma To Burn.

And just for shits and giggles, here's the song I credit getting me into instrumental only music.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
Free download of Fu Manchu's new song Robotic Invasion.

Sounds like Fu Manchu to me.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

m-o-o-n posted:

I just tell people I don't really like music and they leave me alone

Haha! Holy hell, this is genius!

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
I've been listening to this all day and can't get enough of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZRogMYsUDo

Robot Death Monkey's "Dragon Clit."

There's not much out there from them, but they're supposedly releasing an album pretty soon.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
Doomed & Stoned in Portland: A name your price compilation of 48 songs.

quote:

In celebration of the one year anniversary of Doomed & Stoned (https://www.doomedandstoned.com), we present to you a collection of bands that have wrapped their tentacles around the Portland underground metal scene and are hungry to scale new mountains.

Mine is downloading as I type this up.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Reading this led me to discover their tour will be taking them just a half hour from me, so thanks!

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Dyna Soar posted:

e: i just wanna add that tad loving rules. listen to tad.

These two sentences right here are correct. Very much so.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Allen Wren posted:

Where would one start with Tad? I've only heard the one song of theirs on the Hype soundtrack.

My first experience was with "Inhaler," so it's my go to for Tad. I'd go with "Infrared Riding Hood" as my next choice.

But like Dyna Soar said, "listen to Tad." You pretty much can't go wrong.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Juaguocio posted:

I think someone might have brought up the Latin funk band Brownout's album of Sabbath covers, but it definitely deserves another mention: http://brownout.bandcamp.com/album/brownout-presents-brown-sabbath

Very cool!

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Cross-posting from the metal thread since I love this thread so much. I hope you don't mind a little shameless self-promotion real quick.

I put together a website for metal tour dates in the US and Canada - www.metaltours.us. I got tired of searching through all sorts of bullshit to find shows coming by me so I made this site. There's no reviews, interviews, top 10 lists, or any of that - just metal tour dates. It auto-publishes the feed to the facebook site and the twitter feed, and I've got a mailing list you can sign up for that I'll use to send out weekly/monthly updates.

This is exactly the kind of website I've been looking for. To a "T."

Nice work.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

chunkles posted:

tags: metal bbq chorizo meat pie steak Brooklyn

I'm in.

Yeah, I put that album in my Wishlist simply because of those tags.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Dyna Soar posted:

new brant bjork has a pretty obv. sabbath influence, i'm liking this. not his best but very enjoyable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNt4fuoIWAw

Pro click.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

A human heart posted:

What do you think of this and this?

I added them to my Amazon wish list.

Thank you!

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
What's the best stoner/sludge/doom "channel" to subscribe to on YouTube? Or is there one?

Not just for music, but documentaries and such.

I've seen quite a few documentaries out there, but maybe I'm missing some good ones I don't know about.

Thanks.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll definitely check them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Shakenbaker posted:

Fu Manchu has a few good covers like Chevy Van and Godzilla.

I also like their versions of Devo's Freedom of Choice and The Cars' Moving In Stereo.

quote:

Always loved Crowbar's take on Dream Weaver.

Honorable mention to Cable's take on Can't You See and Buzzov*en's Don't Bring Me Down for making those songs super bitter and angry.

I never heard these three before. Thanks for bringing them to my attention!

Nit Wit Dog Shit fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 27, 2015