Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar

abske_fides posted:

Agreed, there's no mention of these genres. Some vital listening material:
My Dying Bride
Paradise Lost
Anathema
Skepticism
Longing for Dawn
Evoken
Esoteric
Mournful Congregation

Do you guys mind if I give a try at the death/doom album recommendation thing?

My Dying Bride - Turn Loose the Swans - romantic-feeling doom alternating between clean and harsh vocals and atmospheric passages and more metallic bursts. One of the first metal bands to use violins, afaik.

Anathema - Serenades - slow, heavy and raw doom with harsh vocals, but still very melodic. Following albums get progressively softer.

Paradise Lost - Gothic - doom/death with harsh vocals and very raw production. Has the occasional use of solos and female vocals.

dISEMBOWELMENT - Transcendence into the Peripheral - really puts the "death" part in "death/doom", deep growls, harsh guitars, blast beats and all.

Katatonia - Brave Murder Day - mixes doom and melodic death metal, with hypnotic-sounding guitars.

Skepticism - Lead and Aether - dark atmospheres, sinister organs, buzzing guitars, whispery growls and a LOT of slowness.

As for the rest of the funeral doom bands, I don't think I know enough about them to help.

Which would be the best Candlemass album to recommend? Epicus Doomicus Metallicus is surely the most iconic one, since it has "Solitude" and all, but I think Nightfall is a better album. Plus it's the first one with Messiah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

HMorg posted:

I'd go with The Silent Enigma for two reasons: it may have gotten somewhat softer, but it's infinitely more interesting regarding the overall feeling, and also the original vocalist was godawful.

On the other hand, I agree completely with you regarding My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost and Katatonia.

Although I've got to say I've started to like Dance of December Souls a whole bunch since I got the newish LP version.

I picked Serenades because I thought people liked it more. I totally agree with you, though, if only for A Dying Wish alone, but I question my own taste regarding Anathema because I like their gayer new phase more than the old doomier one, especially Alternative 4 and Judgement. My wife is way more metal than I am and laughs at me when I say I prefer Sleepless 96' to the original one.

I also really love Dance of December Souls but I'm completely biased towards it since it's my very first doom album. I wouldn't call it doom/death either. I'm still not quite sure what to call it even.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

Bondage posted:

Anyone heard anything similar to this: Abandon(swe). I can't describe what genre they belong to, kinda sludge-ish mixed with funeral doom mixed with heroin addicts. They really have their own sound. Check them out youtubes. The closest I could find was Switchblade but they only have one good album.

Thanks a lot for mentioning Abandon. I had never heard of them, but they do sound really loving depressing. I'm not sure there's a lot of bands that can compare, though. Maybe Corrupted, but you probably know them already.

On the opposite side of the doom spectrum, though, I've been feeling kinda... mellow lately. I dunno, for some reason I started getting all nostalgic about these semi-obscure romantic/melodic doom bands I used to listen years ago, like (old) Lacrimas Profundere, Forest of Shadows, Ningizzia, Slumber, Thorns of the Carrion. A bit shameful, I know, because they can get sooo cheesy and overdone at times (especially with the lyrics), but I can't help it. Do you doom goons know of some more similar stuff I could get my hands on?

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

Oh, maaaaaan...

In June, Cathedral is coming to Brazil for the first and last time ever.

The downside: instead of coming to a major city, such as São Paulo, like any other sensible band, like Anathema (who's also coming, and in the very same month as well... but I don't think I'll see them because We're Here Because We're Here just sucks so much), they're coming to the small countryside town of Varginha for a festival called Roça'n Roll. It's a city that's only famous for being the Brazilian equivalent of Roswell, sort of. Somehow I find it oddly fitting for the band, though.

The trouble is I will have to take a plane and then go through a 400km bus trip. This, plus tickets, transportation (cab rides), food and hotel, is going to completely ruin my finances, but it'll be worth because it's loving Cathedral.

Dammit, I dunno whether I should get excited or pissed, so I'm pretty much both right now.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I just wanted to chime in to confess my love for Julie Christmas, one of the few female vocals in heavy music that I like. I dunno if she counts for the thread... Battle of Mice is post metal, and there's definetely something sludgy in Made Out of Babies (especially in their first album... there's a heavy Melvins influence there), but I dunno about her latest solo album. But either way, right now I feel like I could listen to her sing with just about whatever playing the background. Kinda like Dax Riggs from Acid Bath, I guess.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

Just came back from Cathedral. In one word, it was intense.
The place they played in was ridiculously small, and I managed to stand right at the stage, which was only as tall as my hip, so we were very very close to the band. They played from a little after midnight to 2h30 in the morning, and I gotta say that I didn't know Lee Dorrian was such a frontman. Not only did he headbang, jump and dance around the stage as expected, but he also pretended to hang himself with the mic cord (twice) and even stuffed his mouth with it while acting like a zombie during Night of the Seagulls. He gave the mic to the audience quite a few times too, and I got to sing the chorus for Corpsecycle and Carnival Bizarre. He also called my wife a witch. :lol:

We also walked out of the house with Lee Dorrian's signature on my Garden of Unearthly Delights booklet and two drumsticks. Awesome.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

Samael Jackson posted:

So basically I'm late to the isis party and just found out how good panopticon is. I've listened to oceanic a few times but I've just kept going back to panopticon since it's so good. How are their later releases? Also, please suggest other post metal stuff for me to try out!

The Gasmask posted:

I'm gonna disagree with the post-panopticon hate. I think Oceanic is still their best, but Wavering Radiant really struck a chord with me. It's definitely more Tool-like in the way they handled ambience and structure, but I don't see that as a bad thing. The songs (ghost key is a good example) have some fantastic dynamics, and it was amazing to see live. I caught them on their third? to last show ever, and while it was more of a "greatest hits" than I would've liked, something can be said for the way the newer songs translated.

Also keep in mind they broke up because they'd felt the idea had run it's course. Wavering Radiant is a pretty good "farewell" IMO. It's also neat to listen to Red Sea/The Mosquito Control EPs to see how far the band came, while still keeping certain elements consistent.

I'm also a huge fan of Oceanic and Panopticon and I second the Wavering Radiant love, while I think that In the Absence of Truth has one good song, that is 1000 shards.

Strangely, I just never quite managed to get into Celestial, even though I love the rawer sludge of Mosquito Control and The Red Sea.

As for the other post-metal suggestions, Neurosis after A Sun that Never Sets is pretty much the band to check to see where Isis was coming from. I guess I could also recommend, like the other goons, Cult of Luna (Salvation) and Intronaut (Prehistoricisms and Valley of Smoke), as well as Giant Squid (Metridium Fields) and Battle of Mice (A Day of Nights, though the band isn't as good, and I'm always biased when talking about anything involving Julie Christmas).

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

So, Steve von Till accepted me as a friend on facebook. He really enjoys hunting, it seems. The guy's got a stag in his room, right next to his books. :stare: That's pretty metal, alright.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

gently caress YEAH! Down is coming here to Brazil! This is being so far the best year ever. First Katatonia, then Cathedral, now Down.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

DEAR RICHARD posted:

The amount of sludge coming from that venue was insane.

You know, this reminds me that I've been thinking about who the hell decided to go ahead and call this genre "sludge". I mean, it's a pretty apt name for dirty-sounding music that sounds like it's oozing from the speakers, but I've never seen an explanation about it at all.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

plester1 posted:

We could always go with the Beavis and Butthead descriptor: "this music is slow and fat"

That makes lots of sense, sludgy riffs always get me thinking how "meaty" or "fat" they sound. But I still wish we could know how we went from that to something that comes out of the sewers.

Dyna Soar posted:

Music magazines called Crowbar doomcore at first. I am glad it didn't catch on.

Searching for "doomcore" on wikipedia now takes you to the wiki page on Hardcore Techno... it's one of its subgenres. I'm sure nobody minds them keeping it.

Also, then, what the gently caress is sludgecore? :psyduck: I've seen this term being thrown around, I think, to describe 13 and even Isis' early stuff, IIRC.

By the way, a friend of mine just recently got hooked on Electric Wizard. Then I presented her to The Lamp of Thoth and next thing I see, she's tweeting "HEY YOU, YOU MOTHERFUCKING WHORE, YOU'RE GONNA BURN, THERE'S BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW". :3:

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

MrBling posted:

Are there any doom bands out there that are just bassguitars and drums with no actual guitars that are also good. kinda like a doom version of necromantia.

Not sure if it's really doom, too, but besides Om, there's also Shrum, late Audie Pietre's band (the bassist of Acid Bath). I think it had too basses or something. There's only one album, though.

Also, it really pains me that I live so far away from where Roadburn and MDF. But, oh, well, at least I'll get to see Kyuss Lives and Down in the same week here.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

HOLY loving poo poo!

Maryland Deathfest X in May next year

Saint Vitus, Eyehategod, Electric Wizard, YOB, Church of Misery, Winter, Rwake... besides some other metal stuff like Agalloch, Godflesh, Brujeria and Napalm Death.

Fuuuuuck! I'm Brazilian and I'm highly considering the idea of starting some savings now to attend it. It's going to be expensive as hell, but it seems so, so worth it.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

Misogynist posted:

Man, I definitely did not expect your username to come from a country where under a quarter of a percent of the population is Jewish.

Well, to be fair, I'm a bit of a lost Jew, or whatever it is that's called, because it seems my family ran away from Germany during WWII and any tradition we had got lost in the way. So in the end I'm Jewish only in blood, no circumcision, bar mitzvah, reading Hebrew or anything like that for me. :(

Now, a big WTF moment was when I ended up meeting a fellow Jew (this one real) at the Cathedral gig here.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I dunno if you guys saw it, but CVLT NATION has recently posted a series of articles on EHG, including two interviews with Mike Williams, a collection of poster art and more. Pretty sweet stuff.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

Saw Down last Thursday and it was awesome. They're not my favorite band (I still prefer the bands they come from, C.O.C., Crowbar, E.H.G.), but Phil Anselmo still has lots of energy and is a great frontman. He was pretty moved too, said we were the best gig of the tour. At one point some dude handed him a placard that said "We love you, Phil. Plz take me to the backstage", to which he responded by making an exaggerated surprise face, then rolling it up and proceeding to hump Kirk with it.

The only thing that sucked was that I had to elbow a random dude in the face, though, because he was being fat and obnoxious. I wish I could go to at least one gig that didn't have a fat dude squirming his way to the front row and behaving like an rear end in a top hat.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

These Loving Eyes posted:

Recommend me some more psychedelic, more rockish than metallish stoner bands. If there's any vocals, they should be somewhat melodic, not just screaming or growling. Bass-heavy stuff is really preferred (think of Electric Wizard's Mountains of Mars). Samsara Blues Experiment's Long Distance Trip is almost perfect but I want MORE.

The Machine's also awesome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz0BGyq8Utw

Spiritual Beggars, maybe? I really like Ad Astra, Mantra III and On Fire, some solid rocking albums

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

Crackerman posted:

I know what you mean, especially from Big Black on. I like Frequencies and Time Travelling Blues because there's a little psychedelic streak in them that they really lost later where they moved away from being a "stoner rock" band to just straight up heavy metal with nothing to make them stand out. Ward's voice can be really grating as well because it's totally flat and a lot of the time it sounds like he's making GBS threads himself.

The new album is a little bit fresher, but it's all sort of background music rather than something you actually listen to or get involved with.

You know, I get that very same feeling regarding what Spiritual Beggars started doing ever since they changed vocalists yet again. On Fire kicks rear end, as does everything they did with Spice before that, but I haven't been able to get into the generic heavy metal of Return to Zero at all since it came out.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

Does anybody still listen to 90's style doom/death?

After a long time listening almost exclusively to the stoner/sludge varieties of doom, I got a strange urge the other day to get some new doom/death. I'm treating it with Bilocate(a band from Jordan... they'll be one of the opening acts for Orphaned Land in Europe. Pretty good stuff), but I don't really know of many bands that play this style of doom anymore. Suggestions?

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

Oh, hey, that's a lot of new bands (emphasis on "new", that's what I was looking for :) ) to keep me entertained. Thanks, everyone!

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

Groke posted:

What everyone else has already said, plus Mourning Beloveth (I suspect those guys think 1993 was the best year in the history of years).

Hulk Krogan posted:

A friend of mine turned me onto these guys a while back by telling me to listen to the song Dead Channel. I listened to that song on repeat for I think about 3 weeks.

Oh, hey, I'd forgotten about them. I remember I bought A Murderous Circus as soon as it came out, back in 2005, but I never thought too much about them. I see they're still active, gonna check out their recent stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

Roark posted:

Well, now I'm kind of sad. This is what it's going to be? It looks like something from an Evanescence album. :smith:

Even worse than that, it reminds me of the (back) cover for the soundtrack album of a Brazilian soap opera.

Yikes.