Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wampa Stompa
Aug 15, 2008

I literally have no idea what I just saw in there!
Grimey Drawer
Alright, 2 BIG pieces of concert news:

:siren:Melvins:siren: are playing their classic albums in their entirety on special upcoming tour. All of the first night shows are Lysol/Eggnog/Houdini and the second night is Bullhead/Stoner Witch. GO TO BOTH. I'm gonna be at both the Williamsburg ones; we should all have a big Melvins party. Tickets go onsale tomorrow at noon (there's an American Express presale going on now, though).

Melvins - 2011 Tour Dates
May 13 Seattle, WA The Crocodile
May 14 Seattle, WA The Crocodile
May 16 San Francisco, CA Great American Music Hall
May 17 San Francisco, CA Great American Music Hall
May 27 Austin, TX Mohawk
May 28 Austin, TX Mohawk
May 31 Chicago, IL Double Door
June 1 Chicago, IL Double Door
June 3 Boston, MA Paradise Rock Club
June 4 Boston, MA Paradise Rock Club
June 6 Brooklyn, NY Music Hall of Williamsburg
June 7 Brooklyn, NY Music Hall of Williamsburg
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2011/03/melvins_survive.html

:siren:Sleep :siren: is doing one more reunion mini-tour across the US and Canada. If you missed them in the Fall (or if you didn't), be sure to go; they were incredible. Only three shows, so be sure to get tickets pronto. They go onsale tomorrow at noon (there's another AmEx presale).

June 22 New York, NY Terminal 5
June 24 Calgary, AB Sled Island Festival
June 26 Los Angeles, CA The Wilte
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2011/03/sleep_are_retur.html

Wampa Stompa fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wampa Stompa
Aug 15, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't think anyone has brought them up yet, but does anyone listen to The Body? They only have one album, and I just heard it the other day. It's really interesting arty sludge that incorporates ethereal choral vocals and has some really neat production. They're playing Le Poisson Rouge in NYC in June backed by a full choir and I can't wait to see them. Between them, Sleep, Torche, and Melvins, June is going to be the best month ever.

Wampa Stompa
Aug 15, 2008

Grimey Drawer
http://www.marylanddeathfest.com/
So, it looks like Electric Wizard is going to be at Maryland Death Fest this year. US tour :allears:?

Wampa Stompa
Aug 15, 2008

Grimey Drawer

nosophoros posted:

This is going to make me sound and look like a total cretin but here goes: I'm going to finally buy an electric guitar and learn playing it form scratch. This thread contains 99% of the music I absolutely adore and listen to a veritable shitload and I kinda want to buy an orange amp (together with an Epiphone). (I know that it'll cost me, but I've saved up for this purposefully and my mind's rather set on it.)

Awesome idea! Doom/stoner/sludge is typically really easy to play and sounds awesome. It's a great way to learn guitar.

That said, I don't recommend getting an Epiphone. They're ok guitars, but the electronics in them are pretty bad and you could get much better for your money. Check out the Agile brand guitars on Rondomusic.com. They're really cheap and are drat good for the money. When you pick one out, there are a few things you need to make sure to do:

1) Pickups: Are they humbuckers or single-coil? If you plan on using a lot of distortion, make sure you get a guitar with humbuckers. If you try to use single coil pickups, there will be a ton of uncontrollable buzz and feedback. Humbuckers also sound much thicker and meatier than single coils.

2) Get it set up professionally: When you get a guitar new, bring it to a professional guitar tech to have them set everything up for you. They will adjust the truss rod, put on new strings, and generally do all sorts of necessary things that you will have no idea how to do. Also, if you plan on playing heavy music, you'll probably be tuning your guitar down. The standard guitar tuning is in E standard. Many of these bands play in C, B, or even A. If you tune down any lower than D, bring it in to a professional again and have them set it up for lower tunings (which entails heavier strings and action adjustment).

If you've never played a guitar before, don't buy a big, expensive amp. Frankly, for the first year or so, anything you're going to play is going to sound like poo poo regardless. Buy a solid little practice amp that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, but is well-suited for distortion. You basically have two options: getting a digital modelling amp and using onboard distortion or getting a low-wattage tube amp and using a distortion or fuzz pedal.

Modelling amps are great for beginners because they offer so many different amp tones, allowing players to try out all sorts of different styles. On the downside, though, they generally sound very "cold" and shallow compared to a real tube amp. Some people I know have also said that they feel much less responsive than "real" amps. You also can't use effects pedals with modelling amps, but they often come with onboard effects (which, honestly, typically aren't very good). If you go this route, the Peavy Vyper 15 and Roland Cube 15 are your best bets. Both are about $100 US. Be warned, though, since sludge isn't really a common style, it will probably be difficult to find a tone that will work for it on either of those amps. They're more built for Metallica-like metal, but if you screw around with the EQ enough, it can be done.

If you decide to go for a tube amp, you'll get a warmer, more organic tone. Most sludge/doom musicians use them for this reason. Unless you get a huge Orange or Sunn amp, though, the onboard distortion probably won't be enough for playing sludge. You'd have to get a distortion or fuzz pedal to get a suitable tone. The amps themselves are more expensive, but if you get a decent one, it will last you as a good practice amp for the rest of your career. Most people eventually trade their modeling amps in, as they don't sound very good to trained ears. I personally recommend the Epiphone Valve Junior, as it's pretty cheap (about $200 US) and plays well with pedals. As for distortion, don't buy the cheapest Boss pedal you find; they're generally pretty bad. Try ordering a Devi Ever Hyperion ($90 US) or the Electric Wizard trademark pedal, the Boss FZ-2 (they're discontinued, but you can find them on Ebay for about $100).

Sorry for the wall of text, but I love to sperg about sludge/doom setups.