Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I've been spinning this album a ton recently -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5ZZtkDq1G4

Black Betty's self-titled (and only, sadly) album. It's nothing too unusual, just fun stoner metal/rock with big riffs and big vocals and plenty of catchy bits. The band has been on indefinite hiatus since the album came out in 2007 I believe, but it's worth checking out! They could probably benefit from having a bassist but it works well without.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I really need to see Windhand live, they're from my city so I have no excuse not to. They're playing a show with Dead Meadow at a venue 2 blocks away from me next month, I'm stoked.

I did manage to catch Inter Arma over the summer, also from my city, and they did not disappoint. Great year for Virginia metal.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Torche related...

Thanks to a year end list I finally listened to this. It's really good.

This is one of my favorite albums of 2014, definitely worth checking out. "Find Away" is so catchy it's revolting.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ingmar terdman posted:

My original post didn't seem to take, apologies if another like this pops up.

I bet someone could do a cool doomish cover of Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun. Melvins have a cover of another og floyd track, Interstellar Overdrive or Astronomy Domine I think.

5ive's Continuum Research Project's 'The Hemophiliac Dream' is exactly this, check it out.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Dyna Soar posted:

5ive is such an underrated band

They really are! The s/t "5ive" album is still one of the heaviest things I've heard. It really rocks.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Rad! Sadly lacks The Hemophiliac Dream; I legit have no idea how to legitimately get that release other than ebay. It is kind of weird that they aren't more well-known, being on Tortuga and having Jeff Caxide as a bassist for a while.

Their split with Kid606 is one of my favs, incidentally I saw Kid606 a while ago at a glorified house show and he was super great.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

How is Cough's current tour and do they have sick shirts for sale, I need me a Cough shirt

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Eat The Rich posted:

Just noticed that Cough is playing at a little bar near me on Monday. Totally loving going.

Soda Bar? I will be there barring a catastrophic event. I never saw Cough when I lived in Richmond cuz I'm an idiot and now I'm real glad they are playing here.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Eat The Rich posted:

Okay. He didn't wear his jacket. I'm in a blue flannel and vest.

Gonna head over soon. Flying solo tonight cuz gf didn't wanna come, her loss!

I'm wearing a shirt with this on it in tribute \m/

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Eat The Rich posted:

Badass also you missed a band!

Edit: Cough was loving awesome

Yeah that was super dope. Heaviest thing I've seen in a while. The Soda Bar is such a treasure here. Thanks to yr pal for the cigs!

Dyna Soar posted:

speaking of yob and that shadow of the torturer shirt, there's a doom band called shadow of the torturer that used to have travis from yob on drums. also mike played with a lot of the same dudes in h.c. minds, including old yob bassist isamu sato.

https://shadowofthetorturer1.bandcamp.com/

I found these guys a while back in my search for Gene Wolfe related music and was pleasantly surprised, pretty good stuff. Didn't know about the Yob connection. I've been listening to Clearing the Path to Ascend all day tho. Anytime is good time to listen to YOB.

How is Acid King live? I'm not a huge fan of their recorded stuff but seems like it might be a lotta fun. Def. gonna hit up that Yob tour.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

There is a new Witch Mountain album that officially comes out tomorrow. They got a new vocalist. I'm listening to it now and it's not immediately clicking, feels less heavy and doomy than their last one, more chuggy and rocky and bluesy.

It's streaming in an embedded Soundcloud thing in this Vice article -

https://noisey.vice.com/en_uk/article/gykv5q/witch-mountain-is-still-reinventing-itself-after-20-years

Definitely gonna see them on tour when they come through, at least.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

chunkles posted:

New Witch Mountain is pretty solid.

It's good. I was iffy at first but a couple more listens brought me over. I like the new singer, though Uta Plotkin will always be my fave of theirs.

Anyone seen them live before, how are they?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

New Windhand album and tour in October

Guess I'll [grudgingly] make the trek to LA on a Tuesday night to see em!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

gently caress yeah! The last Windhand album is one of my favorites of all time. I get why a lot of people find them boring but they are exactly what I want out of doom.

Same they are one of my faves. I never saw them despite living in Richmond for a few years because I suck.

Tour is with Satan's Satyrs who I would bet put on a rockin show, anyone seem them?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Going to see Witch Mountain tonight. Wasn't too keen on their latest for a while but I dig it now.

Anyone else dooming this Friday the 13th?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Eat The Rich posted:

Witch Mountain was way cooler than I expected.

Yeah wow Kayla Dixon really kills it. Tons of energy. I've never seen anyone switch between harsh and clean vox that seamlessly before. Good to see ya briefly!

I talked to their drummer quite a bit, super nice guy. Said the band is in a great place right now so there should be plenty to look forward to from them.

Next doomy show I'll probably hit up is THE BODY in a few weeks. Do they typically play studio material or do different stuff live?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Found a neat one-man psych stoner act called Devil's Witches and I'm digging it a lot. Any recommendations for similar stuff? I've gone through a lot of the Spotify recs but most of em are meh.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

In Portland for a few days and oh hey Boris is playing tonight. With Thrones. Psssyyched.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Varg posted:

new Windhand is good, vocals seem more prominent in this album than before, and the riffs are still big & heavy https://windhand.bandcamp.com/album/eternal-return

Its fuckin sick. They've been moving in this direction (clear production) over their whole career and I think they pull it off really well. She is a great vocalist.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

poop dood posted:

I am currently at the first date of the current Satan�s Satyrs/Windhand tour and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Satyrs are playing new material from their album dropping on the 19th and the new Windhand songs sound tight as gently caress. I anticipate having a sore neck tomorrow due to the amount of headbanging during the Satyrs set. I wholeheartedly recommend catching them on this tour.

Welp guess I gotta drive 3 hours to LA on a weekday :razzy:

Did they play any older stuff? Windhand that is

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Was at a brewery last night and right as I walked in Funeralopolis started and I learned they play about half an hour of the wiz as their closing music every night. Definitely going back there.

Funeralopolis was what solidified me as a doom fan, years before I had ever smoked a weed.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I think Im the only doom fan in world who doesn't care much for HoF. I dunno I love Sleep and Matt Pike is the poo poo but they've just never clicked for me. Prolly gonna try again by listening to them a lot at work, that usually helps me start liking stuff. Glad they won a Grammy tho.

They did put on a real fun show when I saw em in like...2009? on tour with Converge (great) and Dethklok (gimmick wears off even faster live)

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

new Baroness album...Gold and Silver, probably, according to their Instagram thing. weird that Purple is over 3 years old.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

baroness posted about how several years ago they opened for opeth and high on fire and now they're stoked to be headlining their own shows and I thought that was cute. And then I thought drat I saw that opeth/hof/baroness tour over 10 years ago and it was fuckin sick and I thought I was cool for knowing baroness when most folks were just there for opeth. And then I realized I've seen hof twice which I totally forgot.

baroness' Second ep is still one of the coolest vinyls I own, got this really rad etched design.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Blast Fantasto posted:

As for me, I still really like Baroness. I’ve been cool with their gradual change from a S/D/S band to more of an Alice In Chains/alt-metal band.

for sure, they've been consistently good and held on to a real distinct style despite the changes. I think Blue is my fav album but I'll keep listening to whatever they put out.

it seems like so many sludgy doomy band are destined to mellow out as they go...mastodon, isis, kylesa, rosetta, etc. or guys like Dax Riggs who went from acid bath to indie guitar music with a bluesy rock period in between. keeps things interesting. then you've got bands like neurosis that do all kinds of cool stuff without really changing the core formula too much.

it is the duty of all cool doom bands to become alice in chains, with the charge led by baroness and windhand.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

isn't Baroness originally from Lexington VA too? or maybe Baizley is just from there idr. it's a nice little town.

heart breaks for poor Laura P indeed. her new band The Discussion is pretty good, spacey rock, her voice fits real well. who knows what the future for them holds tho :(

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

cool that's my jam for work today. added some song by a cool act called Devil's Witches. anyone know them/anything similar? I havent found anything too close but it's not a super unique sound.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I saw Boris last year at the Doug Fir Lounge in Portland as I happened to be there they were, that was nice. Good venue for them. Joe Preston opened as Thrones and he was really cool too.

saw Acid Mother's Temple at the Casbah here in San Diego recently and it was sick so def gonna try to catch Boris there.

Nthing that Boris rule live, go see Boris

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Om is touring with Wovenhand in the desert and I'm very upset it's not anywhere near me

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

AstroWhale posted:

Production is terrible.

yeah what the low end is all rattly and fuzzy and not in a good way?

I dunno I'll give it another shot when it's not streaming-on-NPR quality but eh

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

my fav doom wizard is Crippled Wizard

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

they ain't been playin shows for 20+ years but listen to Acid Bath

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Darthemed posted:

Somebody's probably gonna jump in with 'that's more indie rock than blues!', 'cause they do kind of feel like a swamp rock White Stripes on their last album, but the lead singer of Acid Bath had a side-project called Deadboy and the Elephantmen which dipped into blues somewhat.
Sample track, "Dressed In Smoke"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9QDAybGRcY

Before this Dax and some of the other Acid Bath guys also had a band called Agents of Oblivion that they formed after Audie died (rip) that's some pretty sick bluesy rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b-9N7giy2w

one album that idk how easy it is to find, there's some demos on YouTube that are generally better than the final recordings anyway

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The Ocean has instrumental versions of their two most recent albums. Maybe not exactly what you are looking for but they're great.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Shakenbaker posted:

Just got back in from Big Brave, Blackwater Holylight, and Thou. All of those bands rule and I now on a lilac metal shirt.

I really like Blackwater Holylight (and Thou) and was sad this tour didn't come near me. But luckily BWHL is going on another tour after with Monolord, who I am indifferent to, but will go to - maybe Monolord is good live?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Is this the right thread to talk about how bands like Graveyard and Witchcraft are great?

Because Graveyard and Witchcraft are great and I'd like to listen to more bands like them (aside from Pentagram)

double posting but. if you are looking for "occult rock/doom" vibes in general then there are a bunch of 'em that popped up around 2010, give or take a few years in either direction. all of these happen to have women singers, shoutout to Jinx from Coven for being the ur-witch. they're all a bit derivative-sounding but most are worth checking out, in rough order of how much I like them:

Blood Ceremony, Jex Thoth, Purson, Electric Citizen, Black Moth, Sabbath Assembly, Psychedelic Witchcraft, The Devil's Blood, Jess & The Ancient Ones. I am sure there are more too.

oh and try Devil's Witches too. one-man act that does some neat stuff. the first two songs from the "Velvet Magic" album are like always stuck in my head.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Thank you for all the recommendations friends!

Also the thread title makes me laugh every time I read it.

hell yeah you reminded me of how much I love Witchcraft and haven't listened to them enough recently. gone through the first 3 albums so far this morning. 'Samaritan Burden' is definitely Magnus's tribute to Tool lol. probably gonna buy a cool Witchcraft shirt to let everyone know I like Witchcraft.

Jex from Jex Thoth used to be married to Jackson Toth aka Wooden Wand who is not stoner/doom but still makes really cool folky music. now I wanna buy a Jex Thoth shirt too urgh

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Did you post this in S/D/S to get away from the haters?

Graveyard, too. Graveyard!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Graveyard whips rear end

?? why did they melt down at that Bodom and core fans is definitely an huge crossover lol. Or have times changed since 10 - 20 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

y'all like Blackwater Holylight? figure they fit here best. new album came out and it's good, heavier and a better songwriting than the first one. they seem to be touring a lot too, next with Monolord.