Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009

JohnnyMondo posted:

Love these dudes. THe vocals take a little getting used to for me, and it never really fits the rest of the tone, but the songs are really great if you like the early Earth style drone and sludgier slower stuff

O shi! I didn't think these guys were very big. Absolutely great live, plus they've got a cute as hell French girl on vox. Wearing their shirt at the moment in fact!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009

cheap sunglasses posted:

Yeah it seems like they had half an idea and stretched it out to an entire track. While on the subject, did anyone else like whatever the first of this year's Boris records was called? I know someone here said they didn't care for it, but I thought it was alright.

Do you mean 'New Album'? it's an odd J-rock with an industrial influence album. I personally love it because any type of music does it for me and Boris do whatever they do well.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009

Thalamus posted:

I don't really understand the appeal of these folks. Lori's vocals are generally so horribly out of tune that I find their music to be completely unlistenable.

Well ..that's..just like your opinion man.

Whatever floats your boat, don't understand why you would post your disdain so simply for a band. What do you like? maybe ask for some recommendations closer to those..

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009

Kuntz posted:

MANA MANA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYmYmtaEm5Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvyPeK1ozys

Doom rock or... whatever, gently caress. A long dead band with a legally insane vocalist that definately bears mentioning.

I can confirm that the Finnish language ruins every piece of music.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009
'Mediocre, at best good actor'

Unfortunate to know you lot won't be putting any more out under the name. Had something really fresh going on.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009

keratas posted:

On the way to see kyuss (lives) at the moment. So pumped. Will report back.

Melb-goon! Oh I wish I were as lucky as you.

A Sydney friend of mine cried it was so good, apparently!

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009

Angryhead posted:

To anyone who has been to a Kyuss Lives! concert:
Do they sell any merch? I'd really like to get my hands on a Kyuss shirt.

They do, and they are excellent. A certain khaki green one which will blow your socks off. Also an amazing huge poster (if they have any left).

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009
With Boris, does anyone know what styles the new albums are? they can't all be the same I suppose. Specifically Attention Please which looks like another New Album (<3^^ ^-^ <3^^)

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009
I'd suggest you broaden your horizons if you would consider it an anime soundtrack.

Shoegaze, industrial, electronic.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009
I can't listen to Atma with that production. 20seconds in and any trace of power is widdled down.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009
I like Sludge but stuff on the less Eyehategod or grim side. There's some not so hateful stuff out there that's still interesting to listen to. Most recently Weirding. Could anyone recommend similar? I've tried but its quite difficult.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009
I have listened to Uncle Acid but I have not found it interesting.
Then again, along with Ghost, Devils Blood, Jex Thoth and who-ever else - the throw back themes of the music scream desperation any poor imitation. An interesting sound but ultimately no song writing ability.

I think you are better off listening to bands who have done it properly in the time before it became a throw-back genre, as small amount as there may be.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Just wondering if you could recommend a few.

I thought someone would ask this.

It's essentially an exaggerated 70s Hard/Prog rock sound. It would be easier if you were familiar with that era and the sound it produced. Of course this sounds like rubbish but it is what it is, and I can't be bothered explaining it any further.

Edit: Looking back I don't know why I posted that pointless piece of opinion as it added nothing to a discussion.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009
Noothgrush, Should I get the re-release of Erode the Person or original?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009
Laudanum - The Coronation

Is the best doom (ambient/drone/sludge) album I've heard in a while.

Much recommended.