Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

How about also having a list of bands with goons in them. Off the top of my head, I can think of four, probably someone remembers some more.
Hugenelk - juaguocio's band
Bad Actor - West's band
Saturnalia Temple - saigon_15's band
Ever Circling Wolves - my band

If I got anything wrong there, please correct me.
Edited in some myspace links.

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Idioteque Dance posted:

Excellent idea, it was something I was meaning to do a few days back but it slipped past me. If any more sign in we'll get round to that compilation for sure.

I'll be happy to post bandcamp/store links to the OP too :)

Also, we could have a few words in way of describing the bands. For example, ECW could be described as "sludgy death/doom".

And it still says "my band" on the op.

Also in the way of addition to the op, here's a last.fm link for ECW: http://www.last.fm/music/Ever+Circling+Wolves

And not to concentrate solely on my own music, here's a band some of you might like (though it's not exactly stoner, doom or sludge): Soma Kick. We played a gig with these guys recently and they've certainly got feeling. Short description (in their own words): prog-occult-psych-hard-heavy Rock

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Crimsonjewfro posted:

Anathema - Serenades - slow, heavy and raw doom with harsh vocals, but still very melodic. Following albums get progressively softer.

I'd go with The Silent Enigma for two reasons: it may have gotten somewhat softer, but it's infinitely more interesting regarding the overall feeling, and also the original vocalist was godawful.

On the other hand, I agree completely with you regarding My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost and Katatonia.

Although I've got to say I've started to like Dance of December Souls a whole bunch since I got the newish LP version.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

aliencowboy posted:

Where do I start with Nadja?

I'm only acquainted with a fraction of their material, but I think Touched, Truth Becomes Death and Desire in Uneasiness are very good.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Idioteque Dance posted:

Also I can't believe how long I've been meaning to check out Khanate. Just never got round to it. Which should I listen to/add to the OP?

Things Viral.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Also that new Lento album I posted a page or so back is incredible, you should all check it: http://www.denovali.com/lento/

Denovali also has some of their other releases up for free download. I declare that's a sign of an awesome company.

Also I pre-ordered the Lento album (after downloading and listening to it) and now it annoys me that I can't find when it's coming out.

And in other news, the release date for the new vinyl pressing of Come My Fanatics also got pushed back, or so I understood. Not groovy, man.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Diseased Yak posted:

Ufomammut - Eve (limited import red vinyl)

I got this last September at their gig. If I recall correctly, the pressing was made especially for the tour.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Ahem:
Top right corner:

He was right about the pronunciation, though.

Ninja edit: And the spelling.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

I just came home with a copy of Earth 2 as well as the three Japanese Heavy Rock Hits 7"s.

Am giving Earth 2 its first spin.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

cheap sunglasses posted:

You might like Lair of the Minotaur.

This. And obviously more High on Fire as well.

Has anyone mentioned Pig Destroyer's Natasha EP? Heard it for the first time yesterday and it wasn't what I had expected. I suppose most of their work is grindcore, but Natasha is a single 30+ minute track, rather sludgy.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Going to see Earth in a few hours, :woop:
Anyone been to see them live recently?

I'll be seeing them on the 21st.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Ghost of Orbo posted:

Has The Wandering Midget been mentioned yet? poo poo name, but they've got some good riffs.

Vocals remind me of The Wizar'd

Maybe not in this thread but in the previous one, yeah. Cool band, cool guys. My band did a show with them a while back.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Cold Day posted:

I can confirm that the Finnish language ruins every piece of music.

I beg to differ, but, then again, I am Finnish. And always thinking of writing songs in Finnish but never actually doing it. Except for project of less than serious nature.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Idioteque Dance posted:

I was always curious about bands that write in English as a second language. Is it mostly a personal preference, or do bands also do it as a marketing thing to appeal to more people?

I'm guessing with regards to stoner/doom/sludge it'd be the former but I've always wondered.

Well, for me, it's mainly personal preference. It's funny, but I think I write better in English. Or maybe I'm far enough detached from English that I don't realize how lame my lyrics are, which I would notice if I wrote in Finnish. But the marketing aspect does exist. With the help of internet, our audience is international. Besides, it's still rarer (though it's becoming more and more common) for Finnish metal bands to sing in Finnish than English, as Finland is a rather small market. Also, I am confident my lyrics aren't the shittiest pieces of English to come out of Finland.

Then again, it's very much possible that with music as marginal as this, the people who are interested would be interested whether the lyrics were in English or not, and perhaps would try to seek out translations. Also, if you've listened to Ever Circling Wolves, could you comprehend the lyrics based on my articulation? Did you take a look at the lyrics (they can be found on the internet)? Or do you think the lyrics are of secondary importance and could not be bothered?

Interesting question, and I might write more about it later when I have time. But yeah, mostly personal preference.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

When is some new ECW material coming out?

We just put out a couple of new songs, there are links in the OP.

Ninja edit: And a new album might come out in the fall/winter.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Idioteque Dance posted:

Thanks for the input, linguistics are always interesting. I agree that it barely matters when you can't distinguish what is actually being said/screamed/growled anyway. Let me know if you want anything else ECW-related plugged in the OP.

Nothing much to plug right now, but I'll let you know when there is.
In other news, Mari from Sludge Swamp reviewed our web ep. Not gonna provide a link, because :files:, but google search will lead you there.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Idioteque Dance posted:

Thanks for the input, linguistics are always interesting. I agree that it barely matters when you can't distinguish what is actually being said/screamed/growled anyway. Let me know if you want anything else ECW-related plugged in the OP.

Now that I think about it, could you put the link to our facebook page in the OP?
http://www.facebook.com/ecwdoom
Also, for anyone interested, here's a video of a track we played live last night: http://youtu.be/esHEtDDstu8

And to not talk about my band all the time, I saw Ramesses live on the 23rd of April and they were good. Their live sound is absolutely loving filthy and I love it. I'm not sure if they played a single song I recognized, having only heard one of their albums and one ep before the gig. Bought another album and another ep and am now much more learned in their ways.

Also, Swans next Wednesday, I am stoked.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Dyna Soar posted:

Thanks for the good words. There's no production to speak of, we just played it all in one take after too many beers and spliffs, which is really noticeable in the vocals. We've been playing for six months together and our vocalist / 2nd guitarist started doing vox for this project so hes not really used to it yet. Still, pretty good for a first demo and hes usually a lot more consistent when he hasnt had as many beers. I play bass / make the riffs.

Yeah, this is some really kickass stuff. Are you planning on doing gigs in the future?
Edit2: Also, have you printed or are you planning to print a physical release of this?

Edit: Apparently, Saturnalia Temple has released a new record, called Aion of Drakon. Released by The Ajna Offensive and Nuclear Winter Records.

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 13, 2011

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Dyna Soar posted:

Yeah we'll definitely do gigs once our drummer & guitarist get back from their road trip in the US, which would be by july or august. There will possibly be some cd-r's but we're planning on doing a 7'' with Dopefiend and Circle of 13. My only worry is if Circle of 13 will fit on a 7'' and how much would we have to shorten it if it won't.

I guess it would fit, since Hooded Menace's Eyless Horde 7" has a track that is slightly longer. It would just have to be 33rpm.

Anyway, you could do a 10" and fit all the songs or then do a split 12" with ECW, since the band we were planning to do a split with doesn't seem to be getting their tracks recorded.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

saigon_15 posted:

Oh, and there will be a vinyl, sometime.

I mentioned this already a couple of days ago. Be sure to tell us when the vinyl drops. I'm afraid I'll have to wait for that.

In other news, I was pleasantly surprised with "Attention Please". I was afraid it was going to be more obnoxiously poppy, but it's really filled with good Borisness. Haven't received my copy of "Heavy Rocks" yet, though.

And ECW finally got a website made: http://ecwdoom.com
Here's also a studio montage video: http://youtu.be/YzdYKVuklrA

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Diseased Yak posted:

Acid King's Busse Woods on evil green psychadelic vinyl. Bonus shot of Come My Fanatics.... import vinyl I finally got in. Return Trip, ahoy!

poo poo, I wonder when I'll get my Fanatics. Ordered it in January or something.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Ffffuuuuuuuuuck! Goatsnake slayed (in Helsinki)! I'm going to be so loving sore in the neck and shoulders area tomorrow.

As a downside to this day, they pushed back the release date for the "Come My Fanatics" LP re-release yet again. Oh well, maybe next week.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

fozzie dunlop posted:

We got a crate of the Fanatics reissues in at Insound (Brooklyn, NY) last week, so I can't imagine it'll be that much longer for you. They sound killer, by the way!

Going to pimp Batillus' recent release Furnace, out now on CD, digital, and wax over at Seventh Rule. Sounds like a blackened Godflesh/Neurosis in places with lots of sinister and oppressive synth textures. My personal best of '11 so far.

They've got the release date at 23rd at this point (at our local record store). Before that it was the 15th and they've changed it something like 6 times since I pre-ordered the drat thing in January. I'm not too hopeful they'll actually get here by next week. Did your crate come from Rise Above in England or somewhere else?

As for Batillus, I think I need to get it. Perhaps next month.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

At long last, Fanatics arrived.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Samael Jackson posted:

So basically I'm late to the isis party and just found out how good panopticon is. I've listened to oceanic a few times but I've just kept going back to panopticon since it's so good. How are their later releases? Also, please suggest other post metal stuff for me to try out!

Inlé by Fall of Efrafa is brilliant.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

What's different about the setup he plays now that minimizes the flop? Higher action? It seems like you would have to have more tension but I don't understand how that works without changing the pitch.

The new guitar probably has a longer scale length than the 24.75" (most) Les Pauls have. In practice it means he can use lighter strings to achieve the same tension. Or the same strings to achieve more tension, less flop. Did that make sense? I'm not quite woken up yet.

Also, in keeping with that topic, someone was asking about guitar setups for doom. I play a Gibson SG (scale length 24.75") tuned to C# standard and I use string sets of .013 to .056 for that.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Idioteque Dance posted:

Re: the strings. Sorry if this is a stupidly obvious answer but wouldn't simply replacing the string with a heavier gauge increase the tension? I'm not exactly a guitar tech so I'd like to be corrected if not. I put 60-13s in my guitar recently and tuned it into drop Ab (sort of: Ab Eb Ab Db Gb Bb, like a 7-string without the bottom string) but could probably do with a little less flop too.

Yeah, it would. But if your guitar was a baritone with a scale length of like 27" to 30" ("normal" guitars have a scale length of 24.75" or 25.5"), you could have the same tuning but with both lighter strings AND less flop.

Edit: I don't think anyone's mentioned it, but this year's Tuska Open Air is pretty cool doom/sludge/stoner -wise. Off the top of my head I can think of at least Electric Wizard, Jex Thoth, Spiritual Beggars, Hooded Menace and Fleshpress who will be playing. Is anyone else going besides me?

Oh, and I'm totally bummed that the YOB/Dark Castle European tour swings by Sweden (iirc) but doesn't come to Finland.

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 21, 2011

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Metanaut posted:

Went to Tuska 2011 this weekend.

Electric Wizard were awesome. It must've been like hell, the sun was blazing straight at them and it was +30C even in the shade. Didn't seem to slow them down though and the audience loved them.

Although I was looking forward to Killing Joke the most, Church of Misery might have pulled my favorite gig of the whole festival. They had insane energy (especially the singer) and they were probably the only band where all members were really into it and actually contacted with the audience.

Ghost was also a pleasant surprise, I wasn't familiar with them before, but found myself stuck in the tent for the whole gig even if my plan was just to bounce around the stages trying to pass time until Devin Townsend came on. Say what you will about their gimmick and to be honest I don't much care for the whole satan thing, but they sure put on an entertaining show. Music is pretty good too. :v:

I was there as well. My favorites were Electric Wizard, Church of Misery and Jex Thoth (see a pattern there?). Ghost were also good, even though I spent the entire set outside the tent smoking cigarettes.

Did you happen to see a guy in a red trucker hat with the letter 'H' on the front? Also, are you local or did you come from somewhere else?

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Metanaut posted:

I live in Espoo, so almost local. ;)

I didn't go on sunday anymore, the only band I knew was Meshuggah and although I would've loved to see them play, I was just too tired.

Do you mean sort of like a Mario hat? Did you also have a moustache on? (my memory is a bit hazy) If so I think I saw you leaving right when Devin Townsend was finishing up. If you spotted someone wearing this t-shirt, it was most likely me. :)

Yeah, sort of like a Mario hat. And yes, I did have a moustache. And a friend of mine had a green hat and a moustache. Probably didn't spot your shirt though.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Salsa McManus posted:

Now, I need to ask, what is the deal with you guys and vinyl? Is just cool (That green Acid King vinyl was pretty awesome actually.) or does it sound better coming from a vinyl player?

I think it's a bit of both, whether the sounding better is actually a thing or just a placebo effect (this goes record by record; some records sound better on vinyl period). I actually wrote a bit about my feelings about vinyl a while ago, you can read it here.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Has anyone mentioned Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats?
I just got their album yesterday, sounds like it's been pulled straight from the seventies. A cd pressing is out now and a vinyl pressing will be out soon.

Here's the track convinced me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjO5PuXJO48

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Dyna Soar posted:

Kind of off topic but it's pretty amusing how all the "real" metalheads here really dislike/despise Wolves In The Throne Room. I love em and get poo poo all the time from my friends who are into trve kvlt black metal :cool:

I agree with you completely. I don't have that many friends who listen to trve kvlt black metal, but I've noticed the dislike in the black metal thread.

In other news, if you happen to be in Helsinki, Finland on Sept. 3rd, come see ECW play live at Gloria with Brymir and Refusal (who aren't really relevant to the thread, however) and a tba fourth band.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is anyone here a fan of Thou? I heard their cover of Paroled in '54, but I'm not sure what album to go for first. They've got something like 20 demos, eps, and splits out in the past few years.

I suggest you get pretty much everything you can get your hands on.
"Summit" would be a great place to start, though.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is anyone here a fan of Thou? I heard their cover of Paroled in '54, but I'm not sure what album to go for first. They've got something like 20 demos, eps, and splits out in the past few years.

Oh hey, since no one mentioned it (at least this time), Thou has almost all of their discography up for free downloads on their website.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

aliencowboy posted:

When are we going to hear more Ever Circling Wolves?

You've gone and downloaded the Chapter III ep, right? (if no, click here)

We've got the material pretty much written, now we need to learn to play it all and then figure out when and where to record it. I'd estimate we'll get something out by early next year.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Dyna Soar posted:

Hei HMORG, koskas teiän keikka oli?

Meilläkin ois tossa lepiksessä 16.11. Semtexin ja Gaffin kanssa. Tuu kattoo!

Täytyy tulla.

Meil oli just keikka tossa lauantaina, seuraavasta ei paljonkaan tietoa. Mutta jotain yhteiskeikkaa vois kehitellä. Siirretäänkö keskustelu sähköpostiin?

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

ShaneB posted:

I'm slowly finding more bands that fit into the weirdly specific sub-genre of post/sludge metal that I really like. Suggestions for more like this?

ISIS
Cult of Luna
Rosetta
Jesu
Tool
Mouth of the Architect

To a lesser extent I like the post-rock'y guys like Pelican, Russian Circles, and Red Sparowes, but I usually prefer some vocals. I just discovered Neurosis and am exploring them a bit.

In less post stuff, I have really liked:
Baroness
Black Cobra
Black Tusk
Saviours

In addition to what the others said, check out:
Fall of Efrafa (especially their last album, Inlé)
The Atlas Moth
True Widow (who were posted in this thread not long ago)

Also, I wouldn't bunch The Abominable Iron Sloth together with all those NeurIsis worship bands, but I second the recommendation and offer my opinion that the second album is also good (but not as good as the first).

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

im_sorry posted:

I'm sort of curious - how much do people usually pay when you go "Pay what you want"? I never know how much I should pay, so when I see that, I usually just order everything on a band's Bandcamp page and pay a total of $4.20, but I worry that I'm being a cheap bastard.

Personally, if I'm not broke (and if there's no vinyl or cd to be had) I'll pay something like $5 per album.
As for our stuff, I think a huge total of one person has paid anything for it, and it was something like $2 or so (yay, we're selling out!). But then, we aren't super popular, even in the underground circles.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

Gonna check out the new(ish) ECW and the new Zombie tonight.....I love this thread....

And I became aware of ECW by searching Finnish doom bands on Encyclopedia Metallum.......

nd is there any ECW merch available?

We're in the process of designing a shirt. No idea when we can afford to print them. There's some copies left of "The Silence from Your Room" cd-r, however, and a cd-r pressing of Chapter III is in the works also, though the budget thing applies to that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

BlueGrot posted:

My band is now on Spotify.

http://open.spotify.com/album/1ohx6TpCZK28lhPfQ4wkHC

Is it on anything else, for us who don't use spotify?
And what is it called?