Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

QPZIL posted:

If you can get high beforehand - yes

If you can't get high beforehand - yes

What this guy said.

If you aren't going in expecting them to sound like it's 1993. And maybe you should go even if that's the case. Because they rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

aliencowboy posted:

Start with Earth 2 and then don't stop.

I'd say start with Extra-Capsular Extraction and then don't stop. Why do people always forget about Extra-Capsular Extraction?

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Probably because of A Bureaucratic Desire for Extra Capsular Extraction.

Good point. Still, the material is older than Earth 2.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Metanaut posted:

Also really looking forward to next weekend : Truckfighters on friday and Ufomammut (+ Morkobot) on saturday. :coal:

I was so going to see Ufomammut and Morkobot, but alas! Godflesh is playing that night, so gotta see them instead. And then I found out that also Kuusumun Profeetta have a gig in Helsinki the same night.

And I'm still sad the YOB/Dark Castle tour doesn't extend to Finland.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Metanaut posted:

Yeah, that wasn't exactly an easy decision. To be honest I'm still not sure which one I want to see more.

I decided in favour of Godflesh, because I've seen Ufomammut once already and I think it's more likely they'll come here again.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Dyna Soar posted:

Why are you talking about Mastodon in this thread anyway?

Force of habit?

Moving on to bands I assume pretty much everyone in this thread can enjoy, I got the Rise Above reprint LPs of Church of Misery's Master of Brutality and The Second Coming yesterday. Doomy goodness!

Not to mention the Iron Monkey full-lengths that arrived Tuesday.

Edit: Oh, hey, this French band called Celeste, have you heard them?
I got their debut, Pessimiste(s) a while ago and last week ordered a couple other albums of theirs (but they haven't arrived yet). Can't speak of anything but the debut, but that's some pissed off as hell sludge.

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Sep 22, 2011

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

anticake posted:

Their entire catalog is up for free download from their label's website (http://denovali.com/mp3shop/Free-Downloads:::2.html). They also get a lot of play in the punk thread. Divider (http://dividerny.bandcamp.com/) have a similar sound.

Thanks for this! I was aware of the first album's availability and had downloaded it long ago, but I didn't know they have this free download section there that contains all of those.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

In case anyone's interested, here's a live video from our latest gig. The sound quality is rather decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RtZMBpb1-c

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

More Gore posted:

Helms Alee are great, especially live!

Anyways, I just listened to Ghost's Opus Eponymous for the first time. Fuckin digging this a lot. Any suggestions for similar sounds?

Not exactly the same, but try Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Oh man I'm loving Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats. They are sold out of CDs/Records it seems: http://uncleacid.bigcartel.com/
Any ideas as to whether the ablum Blood Lust might be sold online?

I'll Cut You Down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ7UpD4AquU&NR=1

They had a vinyl pressing of 350 (of which 50 were diehard edition) up in Rise Above's webstore, but I think they sold out very quickly. I managed to snatch myself a vinyl, though, so I can now sell the cd I have. Email me at hh at raa.to if interested.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

For Loop posted:

I'm really into that Uncle Acid album that was posted. Can you guys point me to some other stuff that's similar? I checked out Ghost but didn't like the vocals and was linked to Graveyard which was really cool. I really like the severity of Uncle Acid and can't find it elsewhere.

Have you checked out Jex Thoth and The Devil's Blood?

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

I just found out Barn Owl are playing in my town (Helsinki, Finland, in case you were wondering) this coming Tuesday. Anyone else going?

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Polegrinder posted:

AWESOME. I was just going to post about your new album UR (I had no idea a goon was in that band). I was listening to it on the bus this morning on my way to work. It's really good.

Congrats!

EDIT - Both albums are good, go get them everyone!

Aion of Drakon is the new album. And I've been meaning to get it but no money and all that. Where would be a good place to get it on vinyl?

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

saigon_15 posted:

Hmm, looks like the vinyl is sold out from both the American and European label... So either come see us live or hunt on ebay, I guess.

And yes, UR is 4 or 5 years old, just to keep the record straight.

Turns out Doomentia Records still had some, so I ordered it just now. I'll still want to see you live though. Any plans of coming to Finland again? We might even do some shows together.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

I quickly went through the last 5 pages of the thread, since I recalled someone mentioning Witch Mountain, but if they've been mentioned, it must've been earlier. Anyway, I just found them. Since I'm a bit lazy, I'll lump them in with Jex Thoth and the likes, though that won't tell the whole truth. They've got their latest album on their bandcamp page and a cd pressing of it set for release by Profound Lore Records (iirc).

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Polegrinder posted:

They don't have 2XL... I wonder if an XL would fit someone that's 6'4"?

I think they did have some, at least someone on facebook said he'd purchased an XXL.

I managed to get one. Also, I'd picked up a couple of Thou shirts from the post office earlier today.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

As some of you might remember, my band, Ever Circling Wolves, released an ep called Chapter III digitally in February. The digital release is still out at http://ecwdoom.bandcamp.com as name-your-price download (along with our full length from 2009), but the news is it's been released as a limited cd-r pressing, so if you want a physical copy (and I hope it's kosher for me to post this link), you can order it from Dethroned productions, which is a sublabel of Spanish indie label Throne Records, which has released, for example, a couple of Fleshpress 12" eps.

If it's not okay for me to post the link, I'll edit it out.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Meatslam posted:

e: Slightly unrelated but can anyone suggest any drone bands that are similar to Earth or old Boris? I tried to get into Sunn O))) and Ahab but I don't really like that every song is 24 minutes long with like 3 notes.

Have you tried Nadja and Author & Punisher?

Edit: edited the links in.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Zodijackylite posted:

Finally got around to listening to Ever Circling Wolves "The Silence From Your Room", I remember that it's a goon's band (HMorg?). Really enjoying this.

Other doom on the menu has included Church of Misery, Asphyx's latest, and more Church of Misery.

Thanks! (Yes, I used to be HMorg.)

Also wholeheartedly approving of Church of Misery. I saw them live last week (for the 3rd time) and they were amazing as always.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Sleep-Dopesmoker (2012 reissue)

Details on the Dopesmoker reissue.

Art by Arik Roper

Unfortunately there's nothing higher-res out at the moment so those hoping for a sweet new wallpaper will have to wait.

When will this be released? Sleep's website didn't answer that question.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Rion.exe posted:

Anyone into Fellwoods? Really digging their Wulfram album at the moment, I'm totally into the old proto-doom sounding stuff. I need to find more to quench my craving for Uncle Acid and the deadbeats!

Fellwoods - Brutal Hoof (Right song - they changed their name!)

Check out their bandcamp - name your price on the album.

Sounds pretty good. Like somewhere halfway between Witchcraft and The Sword (of which you should check out at least Witchcraft, if you're not familiar with them already).

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Metanaut posted:

Amazon UK for example, but it's released May 8th and plain CD version only.

What package were you trying to buy? The CD + shirt came with $12.94 shipping total for me. Worth it. :colbert:

Shipping for the 2LP + shirt was like $24 for me. Totally worth it. :colbert:
I mean, it'll probably be a lot more than (the equivalent of) $36 for that set at a European distro. And you probably won't be able to get the bundles from anywhere but Southern Lord.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

degauss posted:

Actually, it's called March to the Sea AND March Into the Sea. One of them is the 20-minute single version, the other is the 12-minute album version. Can't remember which is which though.

Either way, seriously hoping Baroness cover it. They won't, but a man can dream.

The single version is "March Into the Sea".

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

I just came home from seeing Sleep and let me tell you, it was AWESOME!

Edit: Holy poo poo, does the live recording on the Tee Pee version of Dopesmoker do no justice to Sonic Titan. Also, Al said about the song, "This song isn't on any of our albums, yet."

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 9, 2012

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

smile.jpg posted:

I saw them on Friday and it was yes, awesome. Matt Pike sure has grown quite the potbelly, though.

Al's gotten chubbier too since the last time I've seen him (with Om in 2009, I think).

Didn't take the least bit away from the awesome, though.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Ever Circling Wolves just put out a new track, which we recorded live in studio during the drum sessions for our upcoming album. You can listen to it on our soundcloud page.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Has anyone received the Dopesmoker vinyl yet? Or does anyone know if they've shipped yet? Southern Lord's website says they'll ship approximately the first week of June.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

fozzie dunlop posted:

Southern Lord just posted this on their Facebook. I'm stoked as fuuuuuck

So am I. And it's gonna be at least a week if not two or more till they get to Finland. I can't wait.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Unbootable posted:

Hey guys, I've been trying to be a completist about Thou's discography and I know that they have inventory held by a bunch of distros, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with those distros and if they'd recommend any?

Off the top of my head, I've gotten Thou records from:
Bis aufs messer
Gilead Media
Denovali Records
Hell Comes Home (they only have the Kowloon Walled City/Thou 7", I think)

Probably some other distros as well, but I can't remember what they were.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6pEutFdZ6Q

My band live in studio. Me on vox.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

nomapple posted:

BARONESS- EULA REAL STREAM NOW.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

I kinda want to check this out, but on the other hand I also want to wait until I get the record, since I preordered it some time ago and since I've not checked out the other previews either. Then again, they'll probably play some new stuff when I'll be seeing them this Sunday. Stoked!

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Cometa Rossa posted:

So I still don't have my new Dopesmoker yet, and I'm pretty sure I ordered it the day after the bundles came out. Anyone else not get theirs yet?

Where are you located? I'm in Finland and mine arrived last week.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

VELOUR SPACESUIT posted:

No one said anything about this so I guess I'll have to. This is loving great.

Thank you!

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Interstitial Abs posted:

Agreed. Especially the tightness of yr drummer/bassist.... a lot of non-musicians don't understand that keeping tight time at super slow speeds is harder than fast speeds.

I'm curious if you guys record to a click? Either way bravo.

We do. This particular track is infamous for accidentally getting faster and faster if we play it without click.

Also, thanks!

Minto Took posted:

I'm kinda sad that you aren't Cousin It in real life.

It's just the headphones keeping my hair off my face.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Grey Dynamite posted:

Didn't see them mentioned the last few pages, but Witch Mountain have a new album out. Super-sick bluesy doom with absolutely amazing female vocals. No words I could write would would do them justice, so let the song do the talking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxCYB5UzkQM

I was also wondering if anyone had mentioned it, since I didn't receive my copy until yesterday. I've listened to it twice and it hasn't yet grabbed me the way South of Salem did, but I'm fairly sure it'll grow on me. And if you haven't heard South of Salem yet, hunt it down and have a listen!

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

rxcowboy posted:

So I started a new job a few weeks ago, and it's a long rear end commute on the bus to get to work. About an hour and a half each way. While the distance blows, it's given me a great chance to just put my headphones in and listen to music. I can listen to pretty much a full album each way.

I've been tearing through Neurosis, Cult of Luna, Isis, Ahab, Om, and YOB. I know they are very different bands, but they all share a similar massive, oppressive sound that I love. What other groups sound similar that I should look into?

Fall of Efrafa, The Atlas Moth, Unearthly Trance.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Thalamus posted:

I've really been into Burning Witch, Graves At Sea and Khanate the past week or so. Any of you guys have suggestions for similar things?

Also the best ISIS album is Absence.

Have you tried Batillus?

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

rxcowboy posted:

Just listened to Woods 5: Grey Skies and Electric light by Woods of Ypres. Holy loving poo poo, I was blown away yesterday. It's hard to describe without hearing, I guess the album is an example of the blackened-Doom genre. The lead vocalist has a great baritone singing voice and excellent growls, and harmonizes with himself on many of the songs. The drumming is fantastic, guitars are great, the production values are great.

The best part are the lyrics. On their own, they are very introspective. They deal with thoughts of end of life, not in the RRRAAWWWWRRR DEAD GO TO HELL RRRRAAAWWWWRRRR traditional metal sense. More like mortality and futility. The album takes on a more sombre note when I found out that the lead singer died in a car wreck shortly after the album was released.

Here's the intro track from the album, please give it a listen. This is just a hell of an album.

I think he actually died before the album was released. Doesn't make it any less good, though.

Edit: Yeah, the liner notes (on the vinyl at least) include "In memory of David Gold".

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 27, 2012

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

rxcowboy posted:

I stand corrected. I'm pissed because I just discovered this group and I'll never get to see them live. Such a good loving CD.

I discovered them like 2 weeks after he'd passed. "Woods 5" wasn't even out yet, I think. Also, get "Woods 4" as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

The Gasmask posted:

They have a ton of albums, and as far as I know they're all available for free from either the band or label page. I'll find the link when I get home today.

It was the band's page, here: http://noladiy.org/thoupast.html

Also, they have a new full-length coming out later this year.

E: They're also one of my favorite bands. I'm bummed because they've made at least 2 European tours in the time I've known about them and neither has extended to Finland.

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 4, 2013