Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Someone mentioned this a page back, but Zoroaster should be in the OP.

I just got my hands on their latest album, Matador (a bit late, since it was released like half a year ago). I've already listened to it like 6 or 7 times, and it is seriously quickly becoming one of my favorite albums released in 2010. I don't know how I could've missed it.

Actually I do know why I almost missed it: their only other album that I've heard is their self-titled release, and I could never really get into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

I just wanted to mention that a few months ago, I was partly inspired by the music in this thread and the previous thread (and also the bass megathread) to learn how to play the bass guitar. It's one of the better decisions I've made in my life. So yeah, this thread kicks rear end :black101:

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Idioteque Dance posted:

Meanwhile, I just learned to play the oft-linked Dopefight - Saviour on guitar and while pretty simple, it is really really fun to play. Anybody have any other good songs they've been learning on guitar? I need to stop jamming so much and start building a repertoire, but I'd rather it be stoner/sludge/doom than more popular rock songs.

Learning to play Kyuss songs is pretty fun. I've been teaching myself to play Asteroid, although I can't quite keep up with the fast part at the end. On the upside, it's pretty easy to find tabs for their songs if there are parts you're not sure about.

edit: Bongripper is another good one. Worship is pretty easy to figure out and jam along with.

Otto Octopus fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 23, 2011

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Frank Caskelot posted:

Turns out Doomentia Records still had some, so I ordered it just now. I'll still want to see you live though. Any plans of coming to Finland again? We might even do some shows together.

Hey thanks for the suggestion, I just bought one here as well.

I also got my hands on both Atlas Moth albums recently, and both of them are good listens.

Otto Octopus fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 20, 2011

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

aliencowboy posted:

I'm late to the game on Dopethrone. Goddamn. They've got a pretty righteous Weedeater/Electric Wizard thing going for themselves.

I really like their second album. They've got a pretty good singer... it does kind of remind me of Weedeater. I haven't really gotten around to listening to the first album yet, I should do that sometime...

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Doesn't look like anyone posted this yet, but the new Earth album is out. Already ordered my copy, I'm pretty stoked about it.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

So apparently electric wizard is releasing a new 7" EP, "Legalize Drugs and Murder". I can't find much information on it though... as far as I can tell, it's sort of B sides from their upcoming album?

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

So electric wizard has two new songs out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RqJ9blAHHo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVxtRxHSa0Y&feature=relmfu

The first song sounds pretty much exactly like their last two albums. The second song is the more interesting one. I'm somewhat disappointed actually. I was hoping they'd make the production sound heavier instead of just rehashing the last two albums.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

MR.B posted:

I do agree with you, but I am liking both songs regardless.

Yeah, I don't think the new songs are terrible or anything. I just feel like the production is lacking.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Krabsworth posted:

Is anyone else kind of...I don't know, turned off by this barrage of Sleep poo poo from Southern Lord? gently caress I love Sleep as much as anyone else, I've ran like three cd copies of Holy Mountain into the ground just through playing them nearly every day. But uh...different shirt/cd/vinyl/poster packages? Dopesmoker is already great as it is. It just seems really played out the way they are releasing this merchandise bomb. I suppose I'm not fanatic enough. I also haven't gone on discogs for a $100+ copy of Holy Mountain on a picture disc ever. Merchandise just isn't my thing, but if the band needs some money, whatever I guess.

Checking amazon, a vinyl copy of Dopesmoker is currently priced at $350. It's cheaper on ebay, but still overpriced. So yeah, I'm pretty excited to actually be able to own a vinyl copy without paying outrageous prices :v: Besides, I hear the new remastering is great.

Anyway, it's not like rereleasing the album makes it any less great - so I don't really see any problem with it.

Otto Octopus fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 25, 2012

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Metanaut posted:

Finally got my copy of Advaitic Songs and oh my :swoon:

Om keeps getting better by every album.

Just got my copy too, and I have been playing it pretty much continually when I'm at home.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

aliencowboy posted:

This might be the most stoner metal video ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq1gb50iobU

That was loving awesome. I want to be just like Jesus's twin now.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

casual poster posted:

This is great, Dopesmoker was basically my intro into the world of doom/stoner metal (what a great place to start) and will never get old to me. For those of you who haven't checked out the documentary Such Hawks, Such Hounds, here's a small 8-minute documentary on the development of Dopesmoker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIyj--J43R0

Btw, the full Such Hawks, Such Hounds documentary is available on youtube.

Yeah, my current favorite pastime is listening to dopesmoker while learning to play it on my bass. That pretty much never gets old. I'll definitely check these out, thanks!

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

So the preorder is up for Bongripper's live Satan Worshipping Doom LP, at roadburn records, if anybody here is interested in vinyl. I ordered mine this morning.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Juaguocio posted:

If those students were using this transcription as the basis for their performance, it's amazing that they sounded as good as they did, because it's completely wrong. The time signatures are all incorrect, and most of the bass riffs aren't even there.

Sleep on cello is still dope as hell though.

One of these days I'm going to try and transcribe the bass parts for that song. I'd really love to have a look at the actual sheet music they used.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Gonna add to the Kröwnn love here, sounds awesome! Thanks for the post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

So I just started listening to Ramesses, and they're super heavy. I really like their first ep, it really reminds me of the old days of electric wizard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTSWO-jCVBE

And then in one of their songs, there's a sample where a guy says "Dig the music kids". So I was googling the quote to see where it's from. Instead I found this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cXdGS1dgYw, labeled as music for children, and I unironically enjoyed it. Normally I listen to a lot of the doom / heavy stuff in this thread, so is it really weird that I liked this :confused: