Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...
Sleep's new version of Dopesmoker is finally here!

https://www.southernlord.com/sleep.php

:woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...
From Sleep's facebook feed:

quote:

Our brother Matt is in our hearts and minds as he starts down the road to recovery from alcohol dependency. Sleep's May 2012 tour was unforgettable but now it is time for Matt to get the professional treatment he deserves. Please join us in sending him healing thoughts and prayers.

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/...aid=OR0BHMJvMrE

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...
I didn't see this mentioned here, but Candlemass released what will apparently be their last album, Psalms for the Dead. They said they won't be making any more albums because they want to stop before they "get too old and start putting out half-lame albums". Candlemass was actually one of the bands that got me listening to doom metal so it's kinda sad knowing they won't be making any more new stuff probably.

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...
Sleep has a new store open.

From their facebook page:

Sleep posted:

New Sleep web store is now up at Blue Collar Distro! Initial quantities are limited but more designs and styles will be added over time.

Praise Iommi.

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...

Polegrinder posted:

Is there any reason to go past "God Says No" in the Monster Magnet catalog? I've been a fan of theirs since 1992, but stopped listening after "God Says No" came out. Just wondering if it's worth giving the last 3 albums a spin.

Everything starts sounding more or less the same. Literally nothing stands out to me after Powertrip, but if you like God Says No then you'll probably like everything after that. That could just be me though, I'm not a super huge fan of them.

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...

Thalamus posted:

I don't think I've seen Stoned Jesus posted yet. They're a really awesome stoner/psychedelic/doom band from the Ukraine. They have both of their albums up on Bandcamp. Seven Thunders Roar is definitely the album to check out, with the highlight being I'm The Mountain. They have kind of a rustic woodsy quality to their music, if that makes any sense. The cover art for the album is actually a pretty good indication of how they sound:

I know they've been posted here once or twice before because that's how I heard of them. Whenever I listen to that album I always end up with Stormy Monday stuck on a loop in my head for a couple days. Good stuff, people should check them out.

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...
So apparently the Heavy Eyes have a new album coming out soon. From their facebook:

The Heavy Eyes posted:

Unfortunately, there will be no show tonight. Hope to see y'all on November 17th at the Hi-Tone for our album release party.

I'm super excited about this.

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...
I took a college class on the evolution of metal (counted as my fine art elective), and I was hoping to find some metal that really appealed to me. I was sort of disappointed until the day we did doom metal. When I got back from class I looked up and listened to everything by every band the teacher mentioned that day.

The teacher apparently was in high school band with one of the members of Sleep and said that the first time he ever smelled pot was sitting near him in concert practice.

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...

shezihka posted:

Which Dead Meadow would be best to pick up and start listening to first?

Their self-titled one is my favorite. I don't think I've met a single person who hasn't liked at least something from that album.

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...

Polegrinder posted:

What are some of the better female fronted doom/stoner bands out there? I've had Windhand on heavy rotation since 2010 when they put out the Practice Space demo, High Priest of Saturn is another I like, I have Devil's Blood, Rituals of the Oak, The Wounded Kings, etc. I'm just feeling like I'm missing some. I like the way the female vocals sound against the heavy crushing riffs. Hopefully stuff that is painfully slow and heavy.

Thanks

Blood Ceremony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEsEWgfml94

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...
The official Sleep facebook posted a link to this interview with Matt Pike. Mostly talks about them playing at All Tomorrow's Parties in October, but a little line caught my eye.

quote:

The band’s guitarist Matt Pike took time out from rehab (but not the rehab you’re thinking), jamming for a new album for Sleep and his work as frontman for stoner rock band High On Fire to chat to Beat about everything Sleep.

:woop:

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...
I took a class on heavy metal for a GE as an undergrad. One of the weeks focused on stoner/doom. The professor had required listening each week, and had Sleep's Dopesmoker as "bonus listening". I listened to it five times in a row, the rest is history.

If I remember correctly the professor said he was in the middle school band with Al and that was when he first learned what pot smells like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...
Saw this car while getting groceries today and thought of this thread.