Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

Groke posted:

A good start to a new thread; a dearth of death-doom and funeral doom so far, though. Kind of weak on the trad doom side as well (no Candlemass in the OP?)

Agreed, there's no mention of these genres. Some vital listening material:
My Dying Bride
Paradise Lost
Anathema
Skepticism
Longing for Dawn
Evoken
Esoteric
Mournful Congregation

On that note... I've been on a huge Vitus binge lately. I keep listening to the album V. I hadn't given it much attention before but it's so good. I got back to it to listen to the original version of Patra since I'm a huge fan of the cover by The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Has there been any decent funeral doom metal releases this year? I haven't heard one funeral album that impressed in awhile by now, and I'm quite sad that Longing for Dawn broke up :(

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

Morbid Florist posted:

The new Ahab, but I don't know how Funeral they are compared to Wretched Sea

If it's like their second album, it'll be pretty far from funeral :(

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

Hulk Krogan posted:

New Tyranny tune. This is some bleak as gently caress, heavy funeral doom right here:

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/tyranny-sunless-deluge

Sounds good! To me the top crop of funeral has always been Skepticism, Mournful Congregation and Longing for Dawn. A lot of the later bands that came along (especially the Russian ones) just never clicked with me

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

Ha, I had indeed forgotten Esoteric, although I've only liked their later albums especially Maniacal Vale. I wasn't saying every other band is horrible, but quite a lot of them are. Evoken have a few great tracks here and there too.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

A human heart posted:

A jazz band is up the alley of this thread now?

Bohren Und der Club of Gore is also normally pretty popular among doomsters.

I'd also recommend The Necks even though they aren't doomy...

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Did anyone get the new My Dying Bride album?

My local record store is still closed and I'm trying to resist buying it online as I want to support them. New Paradise Lost soon as well!

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Listening to The River's Vessels Into White Tides and wow, this is a great release. I hadn't listened to anything by them since Drawing Down the Sun.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Any Morgion love in the thread? I've been obsessed with their albums for the past 2-3 weeks again. Cloaked by Ages, Crowned in Earth is really just a fantastic album by all means.

Also anyone playing doom need a bassist for an online project by chance?

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
funeral doom is the perfect soundtrack for covid times.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Recently went through every album with Leif Edling in chronological order. Lots of great stuff especially Candlemass and Krux, but it really has to be said that he struggled quite a bit with his writing in the 90's.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
The last Funeral album is pretty eeeeeehhhhh

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
I was just listening to some Nortt the other day. Complete blast from the past. Is he even active anymore?

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
https://oceannoir.bandcamp.com/track/mortes-hyades

Also now waiting for my Giza pedal... I ordered in early december but it still hasn't arrived :(

EDIT: ugh.... I suddenly have an avatar after not being active for ages? Weird!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

Ingmar terdman posted:

Conan is coming back to the states :hellyeah:

I would love to see Conan live, but I'm not in the US sadly. I'd love to see YOB as well.

Teenage me is sad I still haven't seen Paradise Lost live, but I've seen the rest of the Peaceville trinity so it's not too bad.

Edit: wow about that belly dancing tangent

abske_fides fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 19, 2024