Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.
Hrm, no Grails yet?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyxRnl8iI8I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.

ape canyon posted:

Noothgrush

First of all, loving YES, Noothgrush are incredibly :black101: and totally worthy of :worship:

Kilometers Davis posted:

I love Dopefight but I can't help but think their album is really, really repetitive. It would work better as an EP. Maybe i'm not getting high enough.

Being sober is the best way to appreciate all stoner/sludge/doom/drone records, in my humble ex-pothead opinion. I grew up with weed and that poo poo made me listen to some seriously revolting acts and think they were cool; conversely, once I outgrew my bong several years ago, my judgment improved drastically, and I started really feeling the fringe poo poo I had theretofore regarded as exclusively for passive, stoned listening. Use your ears to hear music. Use your brain to hear music. Don't use your Zig-Zags to hear music.

I realize this is completely contradictory to the entire genre, but it's what made me personally start loving the music as appreciable genius as opposed to just some riffs boring enough to keep my attention while high. Still love the theme, still love the drug (from afar), still love the aesthetic, still worship Satan. Just saying that Dopefight record is loving awesome, and what the poo poo is "too repetitive"?

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

I hereby recommend Zoroaster - "Dog Magic" for inclusion in the OP... this is a loving sick record and you need it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5iZHOdOBio

amaranthine posted:

I've listened to Neurosis-esque bands for years, but I first listened to Electric Wizard and Sleep yesterday.

I've been missing out, holy poo poo.

Yes, yes you have. Go with Sleep's "Holy Mountain" and EW's "Come My Fanatics". Brain-melting guaranteed.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Technetium posted:

Hey guys, what are some of the big name or great releases that came out over the past six months or so? I haven't been paying attention a whole recently and what with Boris and Grails both having new ones out I was wondering what else I might be missing out on while I catch up on some old favourites.

I was out record shopping this weekend and saw the album Summit by Thou, which if you've seen the cover for, you know it doesn't say "Thou" anywhere except the spine a little embossing on the back. So, thinking it was some new band on Southern Lord called "Summit" I was like "gently caress yeah!" and grabbed it. I had to fiddle with my EQ settings on my stereo a bit to get it right, but goddamn if it isn't a heavy fuckin' record. Not exactly brand spankin' new, but it caught me by pleasant surprise.

Speaking of Boris, also managed to grab Absolutego b/w Dronevil2 on (obviously) double vinyl for $25 CDN, which made my day even better.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

That Red Fang EP is fucken boss, been listening to that and Clutch and Kyuss at D&D nights and now all my fellow nerds are feeling the sludge, it's awesome.

Wolverine Blues is easily my favourite Entombed record, but I gotta agree that they definitely don't fit in here. Youtube search Chief Rebel Angel (Live), and now I'm done derailing.

e: Anyone in here enjoys jamming this kinda stuff from the Ottawa area? I have drums.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

plester1 posted:

Three of the most Dungeons and Dragons stoner bands.

The Sword, High on Fire, and obviously Sabbath are rad for the same kind of feel. I also once had a DM run a game based on Mastodon's Blood Mountain.

High on Fire's a bit heavy for these dudes, but Mammatus is another great one for that feel. That DM sounds awesome.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

It was touched on in the last thread, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend female fronted bands. Deathdoom is preferred, but all styles of doom are welcomed in reply. I am already aware of Mythic and Thorr's Hammer. Anyone know if Derketa(pre-Mythic)was doomy as well?

Most of their stuff is less doomy than just really sludgy and dirty, but I loving love that bass line.
Lullabye Arkestra - Icy Hands
How are Shallow North Dakota and Kittens still not in the OP? Canadian Rock! :canada: :black101:
Kittens - Great Dane
Shallow North Dakota - The Lubber

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Wampa Stompa posted:

:siren:Sleep :siren:
June 24 Calgary, AB Sled Island Festival

Anyone going to this, get ready for an intimate performance because loving NOBODY is going Calgary for any reason ever, not even Sleep. They obviously don't want ticket sales or they'd go to Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver/St. Johns. This is clearly meant to be a small show with a small turnout, and it's going to be loving HEAVY.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The Whole Internet posted:

Old Man Gloom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZLFp3yhpFQ

Jesus gently caress that's good. This is exactly why I read this thread.

cheap sunglasses posted:

Also, anyone else into Zeni Geva?

High fives, Zeni Geva is the dirtiest kind of cool. KK Null is also worth a listen or twelve.

Idioteque Dance posted:

Try maybe Toner Low, or the new Brotherhood of Sleep album that was recently mentioned - really good stuff there and hopefully along the lines of what you're thinking of. All of YOB's other stuff is worth checking out if you haven't.

edit: Just to save a couple of minutes:
Toner Low - Devilbots Designed to Assimilate (wish I could find "Through Waving Fields of Grass We Battle")
Yob - All the Children Forgotten ("I see the beauty in life, BUT I DON'T SEE THE DOGMA, DON'T SEE THE DOGMA!!")
Warhorse - Every Flower Dies No Matter the Thorn
UFO Mammut - Hopscotch
UFO Gestapo - {some stuff live, a bit more punk than drone, but still slow and heavy}
Flood - Dam
Old One - Doomed (my favourite doom-jam-rock-two-piece, these guys never disappoint)

edit2: Fans of the Italian stoner movement (like Lento, UFO Gestapo, UFO Mammut) need to hear Morkobot. Turn it up. A lot.

amplifier worship fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Mar 28, 2011

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

cheap sunglasses posted:

Or better yet take up drums instead. Too many guitarists, not enough drummers.

Amen.

cheap sunglasses posted:

It came up somewhere toward the end of the last thread but a number of folks did mention feeling that the genre's going through a stagnant period. There's still an enormous number of great bands to find out about for someone unfamiliar, but you do hit a point where you're just running into variations on a few themes.

Well I guess we need to start an all-goon band. As I said before, I have drums and I know how to use them.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Agreed on the topic of Boris' insane amount of output, but seriously? This song is rocking all your socks? I'm seriously disappointed, maybe I need to listen to it again a few times...

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Polegrinder posted:

Kamni

:worship: :worship: :worship:

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

NuclearGuru posted:

Kamni rules. Here's Brainoil, dirty California sludge/hardcore. Seems like they broke up after releasing one album a few years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06TSgaHbq-0&feature=related

live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muSylE8zJuI

Brainoil has 2 albums, "Demo" and "Brainoil".

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Valley of the Sun is wicked, thanks! Thanks to browsing aimlessly on bandcamp all day, I also came across these dudes: http://oldegrowth.bandcamp.com/album/olde-growth. Awesome. Also, this new Dark Castle is killer, holy poo poo, thank you!

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Enjoying Blacklight Barbarian, thanks. Tried to pledge a bit to the kickstarter, but they don't take paypal and I'm vehemently opposed to credit cards.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

MrBling posted:

There isn't really much doom-black metal. I guess that maybe Dragged into Sunlight, but they're not really all that doomy either.

Early Bethlehem, like "Dark Metal" and "S.U.I.Z.I.D.", as well as pretty much anything by Shining is what I'd consider classic "black-doom". So dark and brooding.

Wolves in the Throneroom and Krallice are definitely more black metal than anything, but there's some really neat elements of doom and ambient stuff worked into their songs, including some really neat, dark overtones, so totally worth a mention.

edit:

Ghost of Orbo posted:

I'd say Autrasian Goat fits into black-doom. Kind of like if Thergothon went black metal and got all suicidal on us.
poo poo, that rules.

And, just to stay on topic, this is good doom: Earthworm - Grief

amplifier worship fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 7, 2011

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Sloth's "Voice of God"
:aaaaa: :fh:

e: While checking out some background info on Sloth, I found a cool (now defunct) music blog called Get Off My Elevator, through which I also found out about these guys: http://www.myspace.com/treehornrock

The GOME reviews for each actually link to :filez: but I think I'm in the clear so long as I don't actually post them. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

amplifier worship fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 8, 2011

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Dun dun datata dun dun datatataa dun dun datatatatataatatata...

DUNNNNNNNN DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNN DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

I think you might have missed a few instances of the letter "N", and it's in our best interest to represent authenticity here. gently caress man, tell you dig these dudes too: Grief - Predator

Honestly can't even be bothered to check if they've been posted before, this poo poo deserves to be in every goddamned post in this thread.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Wow, thanks a ton for the Colour Haze reccomendation, can't believe I've never heard of them. Found this incredibly good video of some dudes longboarding downhill for a solid 4 minutes to one of their songs that just completely melted my brain, thought I'd share: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGUaxkmfv5c&feature=related

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

My sunny summer afternoon plans:
{a whole bunch of orange, including great lakes orange peel ale, some orange goblin thru an orange amp, and the orange box version of portal through which i wil jump into orange portals by the severals}

edit: Also, call me crazy, but Ocean Chief's "Tor" and "Fluidage" definitely deserve to be on the reccomended listening list for the OP. Ocean Chief - Through Iraq I Ran is one of the few full versions available online as most of their tracks are too long to be on YouTube. This is seriously heavy Swedish doom that needs to be heard. If you haven't heard "Sorceror on Dope" with your amp turned up to 11, you're missing out.

"Leagues of slow riffage fuzz, awesome vocals, huge power trio sludge from SWEDEN. You need a back up bag to get through this one. Better get a spare lighter too. THIS IS DOOM!"
doommood
AllThatIsHeavy.com

amplifier worship fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 17, 2011

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Also, for the love of god, don't post a 2500x3500 timg. And don't quote it if someone does. I have a pretty good connection speed, and those images took me 15-20 seconds to load. Every image host ever lets you resize images as you host. There's no need for a beer can to take up twice the space of my entire monitor.

My computer is slower than every beard in this thread, man. I'm running 128mb on a 2G hard drive with parts I found in the trash and slammed together into a barely functional box just because I'd rather spend the $200 on records and brews and I know how to put together a lovely computer out of pieces I found on the street. If my timg screws up your monitor, I thoroughly apologize, but in all seriousness, you probably need a better monitor/resolution. This thing actually successfully serves as a space heater, and it takes upwards of ten minutes just to turn it on. We're talking Moss slow, here.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Oh yeah, and don't image leech. Seriously, you can get probated/banned for it.

Erm, call me crazy, but I think that if this particular comment is directed towards me (which it seems to be) then I have grossly misconstrued the concept of image leeching.

fake edit: So I understood it was a bandwidth thing, but I had the direction of usage reversed, my bad; I just generally felt like anything Google Images turned up was on page 1 was safe, I'll edit that out.

also: Dozer is loving killer and if you dig those guys, check out Sasquatch for some serious rock.

amplifier worship fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Apr 17, 2011

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

the wizards beard posted:

Mongolia recorded that EP and split up years ago. I think they reformed for a little bit last year but I don't think they're doing much right now.

Seriously ripped me up when I found that out after randomly getting into them from earlier in this thread (someone posted a rec. I followed that led to them, and gently caress they're good) and I'm sad I missed a short reunion, would've been nice to see.

Diseased Yak posted:

So, like, what demon do you have to appease to achieve the mind-blowingly low riff that Moss achieves on the opening track of Tombs of the Blind Drugged? It's gotta be close to below human hearing.

loving seriously. Check out Bong if you haven't (I'm sure you probably have, you're a regular here). I can't find the song on YouTube, but "Black Bong of the Wizards" loving rules. Also, Toronto's short-lived project ORN has two recorded tracks, "Teeth" and "Knowing", both of which will probably bring you to your knees in the best way.

Er, ok, I found it for free dl on megaupload, please, please, please ninja correct me if this is going to get me in trouble (the album is worth it, so grab it before I get banned for this I guess... I'm going to the rules thread for a bit to read some fine print)...

SA Rules posted:

Don't post links, ask for links to download, or otherwise discuss illegal copies of copyrighted works, including movies, books, software, etc. 45-second "sampler" mp3 files are acceptable, within context. ROMs are only allowed if they are out-of-print and unavailable for purchase.

Well, here's where you can buy it for $8.99 .........
http://www.allthatisheavy.com/info.asp?item_num=ATH-6109
Trust me, this is a tremendously heavy album, and totally worth three times that price.

amplifier worship fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 27, 2011

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Ha, I think I posted the demo. 2/3 of Mongolia is now Realistic Train, they're really good and pretty active. More rockin' than Mongolia.
http://realistictrain.bandcamp.com/

Are they HO scale?

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Had to look this up. :rolleyes:

Haha, I realize it was cheesy as gently caress, apologies. I was tired after a very, very long day at work and couldn't help myself. In all seriousness, though, I listened to it and dug the poo poo out of it (Realistic Train goes very well with the History Wait What This Happened? thread, from roughly page 85 onwards) and also copped the free download. Thanks, please keep recommending awesome stoner poo poo, and I'll do my best to keep doing the same!

On that topic, why the hell, in two threads, has nobody mentioned these guys yet? Stoned Jesus - Occult

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Idioteque Dance posted:

Belzebong. Stoner/doom. Tasty.

Jesus loving gently caress. Hail Satan.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

ChrisFarley posted:

I don't think I've seen this posted, but my buddies in Loss are putting out a new album on Profound Lore very soon. Funeral doom for those of you interested.

http://www.profoundlorerecords.com/mp3/LOSS_ill_body.mp3

Loss is awesome, and Profound Lore is a killer loving label/distributor. Thanks for this, didn't realize they had new material!

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Diseased Yak posted:

New nameless band, eh? Let's think up some names:

I always liked SWAMP for a band name. simple, straightforward, full of life and funky gases. Accessibly relevant imagery prevails upon the mind. Fossils, UFOs, religious experiences. Looks good in bolded capslock. Curves on the S/P and straight lines on the W/M means it would make a great stylized logo. Just an option.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Thalamus posted:

"cheribum"

Don't you mean "Cherubim"?

Also, Creed?

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Thalamus posted:

I didn't bother to proof read the lyrics I c&p'd, sorry.

Also, what's wrong with creed? It's an actual word, not just a crappy band.

The capitalization made me think it was the band.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

We finally got around to recording a demo. Three songs of downtuned weed worship. Hope you guys like it.

https://www.mediafire.com/?0st6cd15l8cuc5j

This is pretty badass. Just the right mix of decent/trashy for the production quality, sick vocals, sludgy riffs galore. Enjoyin' it, thanks!

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

QPZIL posted:

Holy gently caress the new Bongripper 7" is heavy.

Agreed, thanks for the link, Quantum.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Holy poo poo Invasion. Thank you. This is awesome.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

I honestly can't stop listening to INVASION. gently caress, that's some good poo poo right there. Sadgiqacea is pretty boss too, is that a joke on a plant name? Sounds like it. Sagi: prescience, cacia: herb.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Juaguocio posted:

You take your chances when you check out one of their shows. I saw them in 2008 with Torche opening, and Torche absolutely blew them off the stage. Their energy was so incredible that Boris's set was like watching paint dry by comparison. They did play some more rocking stuff, but the drummer kept yelling into his headset mic and ruining the songs.

loving Boris' drummer ruined all three of their sets I've seen by doing this. They were pretty great other than that, but it's so distracting and loud. Ugh.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Dystopia is A-loving-MAZING and definitely a favourite on my end, but I wouldn't say they're a band for this thread. Definitely more of a thrash/death/speed metal thing. Granted, they experiment enough to be loosely applicable anywhere, but that doesn't really make them a stoner/doom/sludge band.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Acid Bath is wicked too, and yeah Dystopia's sludgy in plenty of parts, therefore I'm gonna shaddap now. They still fall under thrash/death/speed on my iTunes, though. Reminds me of Cattle Press, actually. Found out about them from a split 12" with Agoraphobic Nosebleed years back, and it's some serious thrashy sludge I was not expecting on an automated grindcore b-side.

Hatefuck
Hoofed Locusts

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Polegrinder posted:

I'm going to see if I can get to that YOB/Dark Castle show in Orlando.

So excited for this in Toronto!

e: Agreed. Yob's always been a favourite, and this very thread got me into Dark Castle, who I've been mooning over since. Who's the opener in NYC? We've got Sons of Otis who are total dicks, but pretty goddamned heavy, but since they're from Toronto I could imagine somebody else opening across the border.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

amplifier worship fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jun 20, 2011

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Wretch was is awesome, gently caress the haters.

e: New page, thus content: Old Witch is a doomy black metal band from Toronto, awesome stuff.

amplifier worship fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

So pumped for this poo poo tomorrow night in Toronto, thanks for the setlist, that is pretty much exactly what I want to hear (with maybe "The Lie That Is Sin" for an encore) but christ that must be about a 2+ hour set.