Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I want to start listening to Pentagram. What album should I start with? I've heard a little bit from them, but I haven't heard much at all. I mostly know of them as Witchcraft's main inspiration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Bought my ticket for Helmet/St. Vitus/Crowbar/Whoever else. Anyone else going to the Denver show?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone know what the drumming style is called starting here in Orange Goblin's "Beginner's Guide to Suicide"? I know I've heard it all over the place, but I really like the way they used it, and I don't know what it is called.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEEo-smePjc&t=4m30s

Also, for the love of god, don't post a 2500x3500 timg. And don't quote it if someone does. I have a pretty good connection speed, and those images took me 15-20 seconds to load. Every image host ever lets you resize images as you host. There's no need for a beer can to take up twice the space of my entire monitor.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

cheap sunglasses posted:

Sounds like a regular uptempo rock beat.
I guess you're right. On second listen, it's probably the bass/harmonica bit that I was liking so much with the rest of the song, and I just noticed the drums more.

I run at 1600x1200, on a 20+ inch 4x3 ratio monitor (which is more than a 20+ inch 16x9 because math). The timg works just fine once it finishes loading. I just don't want to have to scroll past 5000 pixels worth of images waiting to be loaded, and I don't want to have to worry that I've been knocked off my internet connection by the neighbor's lovely wiring again because your 3 megabyte beer can is loading slow.

Oh yeah, and don't image leech. Seriously, you can get probated/banned for it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So, am I the only one that actually liked Kyuss' Wretch? I got it for my birthday and love the album, but it looks like even the band has disowned it. I really don't get it. I'd cut Big Bikes off of the album, but other than that it's great.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It's the lyrics. They are childish. And since I have been listening to it with my windows rolled down, I have to skip it or turn it down out of shame.

I really like the extra speed a lot of Wretch has. I'm not knocking the slower style they settled into. I love it tuned low and played slow, but tuned low and played fast is a hell of a lot of fun too.

Oliveri's bass playing is especially great. Bass is one of those things that you can get away with slacking off on, but really stands out when you do it right.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are you guys from New Jersey? I like the cover for the most part, but there are times where the vocals sound really off because it sounds like you (or your friend) have a Jersey accent.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I actually thought the timbre sounded like a female voice, but I didn't want to risk insulting a guy named Kelly in case I was wrong.

What's the story behind the waffle song you've got on there?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is anyone here a fan of Thou? I heard their cover of Paroled in '54, but I'm not sure what album to go for first. They've got something like 20 demos, eps, and splits out in the past few years.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

HMorg posted:

Oh hey, since no one mentioned it (at least this time), Thou has almost all of their discography up for free downloads on their website.
I wish that more bands with out of print demos and EPs would do that (Agalloch). I guess a lot of that probably comes down to the record label that put it out, though.

edit: drat, I like Summit Reprise. I'm getting sort of a Godspeed vibe from it, works really well with the rest of the album.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So, if I really liked Witchcraft's self-titled back when it came out, what else should I try listening to?