Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

All hail the new thread! :worship:

I knew there was something up when I was doing it but my
Autocorrect was saying otherwise.

Here you go, good sir.

Idioteque Dance posted:

As I've got a couple of guitars to mess around with, I'd like to tune one of them down way more than I can currently manage.

Yeah I've no idea how this is done either, I'm guessing that you have to completely change your action and stuff to accommodate the lower strings.
Also check out Matt Pike's cool as gently caress guitar.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

A heads up for any UK/Ireland Earth fans out there:
They're playing with Sabbath Assembly on the following dates

http://thronesanddominions.com/dates.html posted:

04/12/11 Earth in London Scala
Time: 9:00pm.
Admission: £15.
Address: Pentonville Road, London, N19NL.
with Special Guests Beak> and Sabbath Assembly. BUY TICKETS

04/11/11 Earth in Cardiff Millenium Music Hall 2
Time: 8:00pm.
Tour with Sabbath Assembly. BUY TICKETS

04/09/11 Earth in Cork Cyprus Avenue
Tour with Sabbath Assembly.

04/08/11 Earth in Dublin Button Factory

04/05/11 Earth in Glasgow Stereo

04/04/11 Earth in Newcastle The Cluny

04/03/11 Earth in Birmingham Hare & Hounds
Time: 9:00pm.
Earth and Lori Goldston. BUY TICKETS

04/02/11 Earth in Manchester Islington Mill

04/01/11 Earth in Leeds Josephs Well
Address: Hanover Walk.

Also that Eyehategod gig has a great line up, :drat:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Juaguocio posted:

Ugh, this is annoying. I went back to edit and rewrite some sections of the paper I wrote about Sleep (that's a story for another post), and I forgot to save some of the Om and High on Fire interviews I used for sources. Now that stonerrock.com is dead there seems to be no way to access them. Bummer- there was some great information in there, and plenty of other great interviews in the section as well.

I want to read this paper now.

Also if you contact the dudes at All That is Heavy, they might have stuff archived.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bit of a long shot here, but I'm supposed to be travelling to California during Easter and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good stoner/sludge/doom shows that are gonna be on between the 15th of April and the 4th of May, anywhere along the coastal area of Cali I guess.

Also what's the story with these sort of shows in the US, is it usually Over 21s with ID or what?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

It sounds confusing, but it really isn't. Regardless, carry your ID with you.

Best of luck finding a show or two!

Thanks man!

Groke posted:

Eh, I've never partook of the weed at all myself, and Dopethrone is one of my favourite albums of all time.

Same as myself and the guy in my college who goes to all the doom shows with me, don't think it's necessary either but like who cares, if it helped produce albums like Dopethrone and Dopesmoker then blaze it up :420:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just back from a 3 day hospital trip.

I knew I was gonna be put under heavy sedation so the first thing I did was have my mp3 player queued to play Dopesmoker when I turned it on.

I got back from the thing I was having done, tripping what can only described as monolithic balls and somehow managed to get the headphones in.

It was too scary and intense and I imagined I was getting chased by a meaty shadow.

Let that be a lesson to you all.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Some new European slow music for you all:

So Spinalonga Records, purveyors of all Greek forms of slow music, released a huge (free) 2 part collection of brand new tracks from 16 bands spanning a wide range of genres, called Miss Fortune Was A Henhouse Manager.
Check it:Part One Part Two

Also Italian band Lento released their new album, Icon, for free too and it's drat heavy, a bit like a sludgier Ufomammut. It's great.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sleep are still touring?

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Monkey Junction by Weedeater is fun as balls to play, it's all just Drop D power chords.

Also that new Lento album I posted a page or so back is incredible, you should all check it: http://www.denovali.com/lento/

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

HMorg posted:

Denovali also has some of their other releases up for free download. I declare that's a sign of an awesome company.

They have a "Cheapo" section on their webstore which looks well worthy of impulse buying.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oh man blasting out anything from Holy Mountain on your cheap €100 amp is so much fun. Especially when you're jamming with some dudes who've never heard of Sleep but just start playing along anyway.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Mar 23, 2011

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You should stick Lento in the recommended section of the OP.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Diseased Yak posted:

Wait, wait, LENTO has a new album out?! I loved their last one, definitely will snag the new.

The album is amazing, gotta say, contenders for my best of 2011 start here.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

are there any more bands that are kind of like that?

I'm in Lento love :swoon:

You will more than likely love Ufomammut's Eve.
They did a split with Lento a while back, think they might be on the same label but the music is very similar and Eve is an incredible album. Many here swear to Snailking but I've never heard it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:stare:

You lucky man.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

drat, Sleep are never ever gonna tour outside of the US, are they :(

Which is a shame, they'd easily make a fortune from it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Diseased Yak posted:

EDIT: After listening through it twice, I'm ready to pronounce the Brotherhood of Sleep album my favorite album so far this year. Holy gently caress it's awesome!

They're on the same Greek label as Sun of Nothing, I posted a huge compilation from Spinalonga Records a few pages back that has new stuff from both bands!

\/\/\/\/
The new Weedeater is so drat short though :(

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Mar 26, 2011

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The two lowest strings on Ronald Petzke's (Bongripper) bass are downtuned to low F.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

QPZIL posted:

Not trying to be a pedantic rear end, but it's "Ufomammut," pronounced 'oo-foh-mammut", nothing having to do with flying saucers.

Ahem:
Top right corner:

Ufomammut Website posted:

UFOMAMMUT means…
UFO [,ju:ef'ou] abbreviation of U(nidentified) F(lying) O(bject)
MAMMUT ['mæmmoot] italian for mammoth

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

From Ufomammut's twitter:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Diseased Yak posted:

Yes, this track is loving amazing. I tell ya though, if you haven't listened to it already, get YOB's The Great Cessation and listen to the 5th and final track (also called "The Great Cessation") on the album. It's like all of YOB's previous efforts culminating in one monster 20+ minute track of unrelenting badassery. I shudder to think what it would sound like live. My pants would probably stand-up on their own afterwards...

Oh hell yeah, blaring this through my lovely Microcube amp right now, it's amazing.

Also Neurosis are playing in Dublin in July :smug:

That'll be Earth, Neurosis and Dillinger Escape Plan (the antithesis of this thread) in one year, which for Ireland is pretty great.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

cheap sunglasses posted:

Sorry to bring up gearchat again but speaking of the Microcube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37xKzcjGXHw&t=96s

That fuzz pedal is so gnarly it's unmistakable even through a tiny-rear end practice amp.

Oh my balls, I have found my next gear investment.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

HMorg posted:

I just came home with a copy of Earth 2 as well as the three Japanese Heavy Rock Hits 7"s.

Am giving Earth 2 its first spin.

Earth 2 is unbelievably heavy. Going to see them in a week, guessing they'll only play post-Hex stuff though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kuno posted:

Should I go see Eyehategod and Church of Misery? I am thinking yes, I am not actually familiar with either of them (just haven't got round to buying any of their albums yet) but I'm pretty sure that they are Good Bands who play music in a genre I enjoy.

Church Of Misery are good so yeah.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The productivity of Boris always astounds me.
Anyone hear Attention Please yet? Very different stuff.

That new song is loving great, can't wait for Heavy Rocks 2011.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 1, 2011

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

cheap sunglasses posted:

did anyone else like whatever the first of this year's Boris records was called? I know someone here said they didn't care for it, but I thought it was alright.

Was that Klatter with Merzbow or the pop style album?

Also Kamni rule.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Via Ufomammut:

Twitter posted:

Hey guys! Don't buy the Eve tour vinyls on ebay by people selling them for a lot. We've enough for You left and they'll be on sale on monday

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Idioteque Dance posted:

I watched Such Hawks, Such Hounds today

I love that film, you should stick a recommendation in the OP.

This
(Wino being a cool dude.)
should totally be a link on the Wino picture.

Also this (Matt Pike on metal)
should link from the banner image.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 3, 2011

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is it cool if I post some really old Sleep bootlegs?
These are from like twenty years go.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Diseased Yak posted:

I can't answer your question because I don't know the rules pertaining to old rear end bootlegs, but I recently got these, and gently caress me if they aren't awesome. In particular, I love the Live at the Limelight NYC '94 version of "Dopesmoker". Starts off with him going "This is a new one, it's not on our album, called "Dopesmoker"" then CRUSHING RIFFFFFFFFFFF.

I rarely use my home desktop anymore but it has an absolutely sweet 5.1 surround set up going on. There was no one home when I was up this morning so I stuck on my Dopesmoker CD for the first time on the PC and cranked it to 11.
:drat:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sleep - Live at Gilman St. Berkeley, CA 11-09-91
Sleep - Live at Berkeley CA 02-21-92
Sleep - Live at Gilman St. Berkeley, CA 10-17-92
Sleep - Live at Limelight NYC 1-30-94

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Going to see Earth in a few hours, :woop:
Anyone been to see them live recently?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oh man, Earth were absolutely amazing, best gig I've been to probably...ever.

They played a lot of Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light Part 1 and a new song from Part 2. (The Multiplicity of Doors, sounded great, like an evil version of Angels. I'm guessing Part 2 will be about the Demons.)

We also got Ouroboros is Broken, Bees Made Honey in the Lions Skull and Coda Maestoso In F Flat Minor. Ouroboros was amazing, really heavy compared to the rest of the night's stuff.

Got to meet the band afterwards and got a poster signed by all of the band and a photo with Dylan Carlson, who's a really nice guy.

If they play near you, go see them, it's an experience.

\/\/\/
The smaller the venue, the better I'd say. I was literally right in front of the band, there was no barrier to the stage, which was unusual for the venue. It was amazing.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 9, 2011

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

gently caress.
YES.

"Om posted:

OM are currently working on a new album, check here, omvibratory.com and Drag City for updates.

Can't wait.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bondage posted:

Guess I must be the only person who doesn't like Earth. Most boring live band I've ever seen. Every song sounds the same. I saw them in Oakland a year ago and they literally cleared out 90% of the audience by their third song.

I dunno, when you're in a country starved of this sort of music, you take what you can get. Saying that, I really did enjoy them live.

But yeah, a lot of their stuff sounds exactly the same, it's mostly all in the same keys.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

NuclearGuru posted:

Ufomammut/YOB/Bongripper tour, laying waste to everything in their path.

:allears:
I'd kill to see one of these bands live.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just back from 2.5 weeks in Cali and I managed to see exactly 0 stoner doom bands.
I thought it was the promised land :(

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Where is that god drat Sleep live DVD?
:argh:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Polegrinder posted:

Bongripper... JESUS!!! (or should I say SATAN!!!). Why haven't I listened to them before? Satan Worshipping Doom is kicking my rear end right now.

They've a new 7" coming out soon, Sex Tape/Snuff Film. To quote the band "brand new material. sounds like you are getting loving raped by a jackhammer"

Can't wait for it, SWD is one of my favourite albums of 2010,easily top 3.

Also Adventure Time, gently caress yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The new Bongripper is out tonight at 12am CET.
gently caress. Yes.

Sex Tape/Snuff Film 7"
as well as a remastered 12" of doom only Hate Ashbury (no noise/drone)

Hail Satan. Worship Doom.