Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Not that you people need telling, but go see Sleep. Just got back from seeing them in Leeds, best show I've been to in a long time. Al Cisneros said something about new songs; maybe he was just talking about the updated version of Sonic Titan (which was awesome), but I really hope there's more to come.

A Storm of Light were pretty so-so, hadn't heard them before and I don't think I'll be looking them up. Sounded like Neurosis but boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Wellity wellity well. Just back from Sleep, Yob, Slayer, WiTTR and Melvins at ATP IBYM.

I'm super jealous of you going to this, the lineup is incredible. Really wish Yob were doing more UK tour dates, I'd love to see them live.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Juaguocio posted:

Are they still doing "Antarcticans Thawed" on this tour? I don't think that tune has ever been recorded.

I'm not sure, at the very start Matt was riffing by himself for five minutes or so - could that have been it? It was pretty funny, he was stood on the disabled lift and someone made it go up and down while he played so he kept peeking over the top and then vanishing again. IIRC the setlist after that was Dopesmoker (a shortened version), Sonic Titan, Holy Mountain, Dragonaut, From Beyond. Might have been one other song as that looks a little short for how long they were on stage, but I don't think there was anything else I didn't recognise.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I saw Thrones at Supersonic Festival a few years ago, it was pretty incredible. A hundred people or so sat on the floor in a tiny room, one massive man with an equally huge bass stood at the front making this awesome noise that was shaking the plaster off the ceiling. However the only recording I have of his is Day Late, Dollar Short, which I found a bit underwhelming.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

rxcowboy posted:

Imagine if Sleep reformed, announced they would be recording new material and then did a press release saying "Guess what guys, we're making Dopesmoker Part 2. Get ready to loving poo poo yourselves."

Well, they already reformed for a tour, and hinted pretty heavily that they were going to be doing recordings in the future. Hopefully Matt Pike overcomes his current problems and we'll hear some awesome new Sleep some time soon!

I agree that's it's cool for bands to try something new and possibly awesome, but I still feel sad when a group stop making the kind of music you love them for and go on to something meh (I'm looking at you, Isis).

Also, I'm not sure if it was this thread or elsewhere, but someone got me to buy Church of Misery's Master of Brutality and it is really good. I can't believe I've never listened to this band before.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 10, 2012

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Idioteque Dance posted:

Damned jealous of Manchester though, who got Bossk for support :argh:

Really? I thought Bossk split up, and I can't see them on the venue website. Great news if they're playing gigs again, I might have to head to Manchester tomorrow.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
They both have loads of stuff and neither keeps to one style. I think Akuma no Uta is a good starting place for Boris, it has some drone stuff and shows their more rock side too. For more heavy stuff and drone, there's Flood, Amplifier Worship, Absolutego, Feedbacker, the Thing Which Solomon Overlooked and others. I'm not so familiar with their rock/punk albums, but definitely Pink and Smile. Their collaboration with Merzbow, Rock Dreams, is also decent - mostly rehashes of other songs they've done but louder. I also liked the album they did with Sunn O))), Altar. It doesn't sound much like either band but it is really good.

I think Stoner Witch and Houdini are as good starting places as any for Melvins. Try this thread too, I think they've been brought up a couple of times: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2761269

e: If you like ToLRTD you might give Thrones a look too. Joe Preston has collaborated/played with with Sunn O))), Melvins and Earth as well.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 17, 2012

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I know that this thread has been recommending Ahab for ages, just got round to listening to The Giant. Wow, this is great. Somehow reminds me of Pantheist - I think it's the vocal style - but the riffs are so much better.

Also been listening to Acid Mothers Temple - Univers Zen Ou de Zero а Zero :stare:. Some good stuff, but it's also weird as hell in places. What is it with Japanese bands?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Kush posted:

Been listening to Demonic Death Judge a lot lately, you should too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ_hiXAal_k

Them riffs.

Loved that, and they have a bandcamp with all their stuff on it too. Also, want to watch those B-movies.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Om is the best supergroup (even if it's actually a subgroup). :colbert:

And that single would be much better without the stupid video and boring vocals and with the addition of a few decent riffs.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

QPZIL posted:

New Boris info:

Awesome, I love The Thing Which Solomon Overlooked but the first record is tricky and expensive to get hold of. Looks like additional new material too.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It's a pretty weird collection of cover bands, and looks to me like it's probably just one or two actual bands under a whole load of different names. Anal Aardvark made me laugh though.

e: Really hope Bogshitter is a Bumsnogger tribute band. Although their only track so far is an Enya cover. :psyduck:

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 7, 2013

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Yeah, they're pretty awesome though sadly departed. Murdering the Homeless will always have a place in my heart. Vaguely related, http://ninehertz.co.uk/ is quite a good site for stoner/doom/sludge and other music that tends to get lumped together with that. They're especially good for hearing about smaller UK bands, and in fact a lot of band members (including some from Bumsnogger, which is what reminded me) post in their forum.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I was listening to Burning Witch today and wondered what had happened to the vocalist, Edgy 59. Did a bit of Googling and found a pretty cool interview with him from a couple of years ago which describes what (in his view) the band was all about, why it broke up and so on: http://www.thesleepingshaman.com/interviews/a-f/edgy-59-interview/. He sounds like a strange guy, but it's an interesting read.

From there I found out about his current project, Bird Eye, which sounds a lot like Burning Witch going off the one sample there is online at their MySpace Maybe a bit less heavy and the production quality isn't great. That track is from a split with Transatlantic Rat's Atom released on Streaks Records here.

He's also been working on a band called The Poisoned Glass, who have released a single song on the Falling Down II compilation, a short excerpt of which is on MySpace here. From what's there I actually prefer that sound to Bird Eye.

Also made me aware of Burning Witch's one TV appearance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdQKpq4qXfU
Stillborn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDLCv2PYE5w
Unreleased song, Edgy 59 says it's called Siren Song in the interview. (1/2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPH27hLNXPo
Unreleased song. (2/2)

Not really doom, but if you want to hear what one of his earlier bands, Junkhalo, was like, a few of their weird as hell synth/noise/punk songs from their Bugs Eating EP are available for free at ReverbNation. A bit like a less polished Boredoms.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
On the Greg Anderson theme, I love Goatsnake so much but they don't seem to have released anything new since Trampled Under Hoof. Any recommendations for a band that sounds like Goatsnake? What's The Obsessed like?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

nomapple posted:

Posting because I got a ticket to see Bongripper and Conan together for FIVE FREAKING POUNDS. That's the best value gig ticket I've bought in a while. I am listening to Satan Worshiping Doom excessively loudly and am very excited for this show. Also, from what people are saying here, I need to check out the Beastwars album, yes?

Wow, thanks for mentioning this. I'll most likely be at the Edinburgh show.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Those sure are some Sabbath riffs. Nothing wrong with that, mind.

Chiming in to say Stonehenge are pretty sweet and I bought Bunch of Bisons, thanks for the recommendation. Also enjoyed Megachurch who I'm reasonably sure I found out about here (http://megachurch.bandcamp.com/album/megachurch). Nothing mindblowing but solid riffs with some cool sample work.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Idioteque Dance posted:

Currently in the front row, just before Conan then Bongripper play here at Exchange in Bristol. This should be good!

Just on my way to the Edinburgh show, sounds like it should be a good one.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Conan and Bongripper were pretty great last night. I had to leave about half an hour into Bongripper's set to catch the last train, which was a shame because they were slaying it. Support from a local band called Atargia (I think) who were decent although the mix wasn't great and I could barely hear the vocals. Humanfly apparently had van issues and didn't make it, pity as I've seen them before and like them a lot.

e: it was pretty loud but not as much as some gigs I've been to (Earth at Thekla probably top that list for me). That said I couldn't find my earplugs and I'm paying for it as I've had tinnitus all day.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 27, 2013

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
drat, that's pretty cool of them. Some of that stuff was previously really hard to get hold of and while I was never a super big Sunn O))) fan (Earth drone supremacy) I'll definitely be giving some of those a listen/download. I wish Boris would follow suit...

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 9, 2013

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I saw Sunn 0))) with Boris performing the entirety of Altar a few years back. Pretty awesome, they had all the guest vocalists and musicians from the album too. Earth were supporting but I arrived late and missed them. :(

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
When I saw EHG here in the UK he likewise went on strange rants and complained about his wife, prison, weed, Manchester and beer, but their entire catalogue is full of misanthropic, negative and depressing music with angry lyrics so what else can you expect, really. Still put on an awesome show.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I guess this is the best thread to ask (or maybe the postrock one?), can someone recommend me a band exactly like Bossk? I know they've got back together and am really looking forward to seeing them live again some time, but until then they've only released 5 tracks ever and I must know every key change and riff to all of them by heart by now. Love their buildups, their vocals, the fact the singer spends three quarters of their sets in the crowd watching the rest of the band play until they get to one of the bits where they need him to start roaring, and I want to hear more of the same.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Crimson Sox posted:

Maybe too obvious, but Isis
Haha, Isis are definitely already on my radar.

Frank Caskelot posted:

Have you hear The Mire? I seem to recall some members of Bossk starting that band after Bossk disbanded. Or my memory might be playing a trick on me. Anyway, it was good stuff. Haven't kept up with what they've been doing lately, but they've put out at least two demos or EPs or something to that effect.
Thanks, I'll give them a listen.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
All this talk of 13 reminded me of a stoner/doom band I was into a number of years back called Planet Gemini, who released an album called 13 back in 2002. They have a fuzzed out Sabbath vibe and some of their stuff is pretty good, other stuff not so much. Anyway, here are a couple of their tunes I found on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7gtba682PU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqjkAS1WkaI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKKVVB3ICoE

I thought all their albums were released for free online but now I can only find their more recent stuff (I hadn't listened to them since about 2006 so not heard any of this): http://www.planetgemini.net/Downloads/index.html

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Check out Until Death Overtakes Me if you like growled doom vocals but want something more funereal.

While looking up links I discovered that Stijn Van Cauter (the guy behind UDOM, he was also in Pantheist for a while) has released all the music that was on his NULLL record label for free on archive.org, which is pretty cool. Been years since I was really into this stuff, but check out Torture Wheel and Uncertainty Principle if you're into droning/ambient and noisy doom (reminds me a bit of Hjarnidaudi), and pretty much anything else on there if you just like it droning and ambient. Also has all the Until Death Overtakes Me releases, which are much more straight up funeral doom.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 11, 2013

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

nerve posted:

This Italian sludge/doom band Naga put out a name-your-price EP this year, and it's really good.

http://nagadoom.bandcamp.com/

Agustin Cienfuegos posted:

http://seabastard.bandcamp.com/

Came across a cool sludgey doom band out of the UK, really dig the Sea Bastard album.
These are awesome and I bought them both. I really love Bandcamp, so much great music there and it's such a convenient distribution model.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

I AM CARVALLO posted:

Generation of Vipers released a little two track cover album of Milk It by Nirvana and Gates of Steel by DEVO. Prreeeety goooood. Especially Milk It. Also, Generation of Vipers in general is good if you've never listened to them. Dead Circle is a great album.

http://generationofvipers.bandcamp.com/album/devana
I think those covers are just OK but I really liked their other albums, thanks for the link.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Friends Are Evil posted:

Can anyone recommend anything that sounds like Khanate? I really dig the drawn-out minimalist sort of drone they do, especially on Capture and Release.
I can't really think of any other bands who've got quite the same minimalist/horror sound, but there are a few I'd say are somewhat similar. Burning Witch is the obvious one if you don't know them already, they share a member in Stephen O'Malley. French doom band Monarch also have that sort of feel, I like their S/T but their latest offering (on bandcamp) is a bit more creeping and subtle in a Khanate-like style. Otherwise Atavist, Ocean and possibly Fleshpress (who I think are awesome and I'm pretty happy to find their bandcamp has three albums I haven't heard) might also be up your street.

e: Maybe Moss? I haven't heard anything they've done since before Cthonic Rites though and I wasn't super impressed.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 18, 2013

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

nomapple posted:

"Vicarious Redemption - Justin K. Broadrick remix" - This is excellent. I love Jesu and Godflesh.
Justin Broadrick makes everything better. See also his remix of Pelican's Angel Tears on their March Into the Sea EP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwVcZWqIWRs

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

ChickenArise posted:

Do it, Pelican is awesome. It looks like Sannhet is opening on the 18th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds3og9jk0t8
This is cool, thanks. Nice idea for a simple but effective music video too.

I've seen Pelican twice and found them a little disappointing both times - for me they're much better on record. Although on one of those occasions they were co headlining with MONO, who it really isn't fair for other bands to have to play after.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Anyone seen Baroness live? I like their records and they're playing fairly near me next week but I have other things I should really be doing so I need to be convinced/dissuaded about going.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Awesome, guess I will be seeing them then! Also for UK goons, Dylan Carlson is doing a (very) small solo tour here next week, apparently with Earth at the Leeds gig. I don't know what his solo stuff is like but if you haven't seen Earth then you should do so, incredible live. Sadly I'm working away next week and won't be able to get down to England for any of the shows. https://www.songkick.com/artists/5267528-dylan-carlson/calendar

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Velocirocktor posted:

No band is happier to be on stage than Baroness is. Their energy is infectious, they play exceedingly well, and a lot of the songs you may not be keen on from Yellow & Green have way more power live. They've reworked Foolsong a little bit, for example, and it sounds wonderful. It just feels... I don't know, denser. If you skip the show, the other things you have to do had better be pretty drat important.
Unlike apparently everyone else I really like Yellow & Green, so not a problem. It's different to the other two but I don't think it's worse.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Sea Bastard have a new album out too, name your price on Bandcamp. Feels like a bit of a departure from their previous stuff with more drones and less shouting. Their other albums reminded me of Bongzilla or Iron Monkey, this is more like Monarch or Corrupted.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Oppenheimer posted:

I'm wondering what kind of music I should listen to if I really likethis song. I've been getting into metal recently but don't know any bands.
Maybe try these guys.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Captain Morose posted:

Anyone else listening to the new Obscure Sphinx? In the realm of ISIS/Tool/Meshuggah, but with a creepier, more feminine vibe. Might be a pinch too post-metal for this thread, but I figure it's worth a mention. I freakin' love it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndOR_E1kWJ4&t=19s
Yeah, this is good. I'm not normally that big on metal with clean female vocals, but it works OK here and drat can she scream too. Also available to download (but not stream) on Bandcamp. I think I prefer Anaesthetic Inhalation Ritual to Void Mother though.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Speaking of albums from 2013, I just came across Erlen Meyer. They're a French band whose S/T debut is some pretty awesome blackened sludge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yFLk9TmwZ4
Album here: https://shelsmusic.bandcamp.com/album/erlen-meyer

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

casual poster posted:

Wow this is definitely different than their other stuff, I'm really not sure how I feel about this. There is a lot more electronic stuff, a lot more. Very atmospheric though, I'll give them that much. This will have to grow on me. If anyone is interested in their earlier stuff check out my post history in this thread.
I wasn't really that keen on their previous work and I think the new stuff is pretty good, so I'd say they have almost certainly abandoned their tr00 KVLT underground origins and sold out. Anyone listening to The Body from this point on is just a poser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

casual poster posted:

Ugh, this thread is basically the only place I get my doom info from (I guess I just don't know of any good blogs to read??) and it's kind of a disappointment to hear they pandered to that crowd. Ugh.
I don't know if this is a serious post or not but that is basically Southern Lord's entire business model and they have some great bands and have rereleased a bunch of awesome previously OOP records. Who cares who else listens to the music if it's good.