Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
Blue Cheer
Pentagram
Trouble
Saint Vitus
Candlemass
Grief

These are required listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
I'm kinda confused by your album art. The armored puppeteer, what's the burning building he's dry humping in the center?

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
The First Daze Here comp has all the classic songs they keep re-recording. Definitely start there.

Relentless/Day of Reckoning/Be Forewarned are the better of their later records after they re-formed.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

Asnorban posted:

The new one with Merzbow was pretty great. New Album has some stuff I am down with (as others said, pretty shoegaze-ish at points) but holy crap some of it is terrible.

They're not joking around about their Melvins worship.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

Eksortna posted:

What's your thoughts on The Melvin's Lysol album?

Should be in the required listening list in the OP.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
Haha yeah they were all over Earache comps back in the post-Columbia death metal bust days when the label was trying to branch out and looking for the next Godflesh or the like.

I think I mentioned it in the last thread but Earache's Sabbath tribute comp is by far the superior Sabbath tribute record.

http://goo.gl/jEUV5

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

Kilometers Davis posted:

What bands should I check out if I want more vocals like Orthodox/Neurosis? That extremely punchy and hateful full vocal style wrecks me. Sometimes I need to feel like the vocalist is pissed at me and needs to yell at me.

Mistress and 16 maybe? Early Swans for sure. That in the OP? Fuckin Cop, A Screw, Coward, etc. Michael Gira looked and sang like he was going to rape and kill someone back then. Not necessarily in that order.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

Idioteque Dance posted:

Also I can't believe how long I've been meaning to check out Khanate. Just never got round to it. Which should I listen to/add to the OP?

Definitely Things Viral.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

Idioteque Dance posted:

Meanwhile, I just learned to play the oft-linked Dopefight - Saviour on guitar and while pretty simple, it is really really fun to play. Anybody have any other good songs they've been learning on guitar? I need to stop jamming so much and start building a repertoire, but I'd rather it be stoner/sludge/doom than more popular rock songs.

You can pretty much pick up any Pentagram song by ear after a few minutes. The only trick is they kept tuning lower and lower with each record.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

Diseased Yak posted:

I swear, all the masturbatory, Dragon Force-esque solos in the world don't drive me to play guitar, but listening to some sludgey, down-tuned, face-melting riffs do indeed!

I am ignorant of guitar specifics, but I'd love to learn to play something like Dragonaut or the epic loving opening riff of Return Trip off Come My Fanatics...

I would have a constant loving boner being able to play that, not to mention a giant joint never leaving my lips...

Either of those are simple enough they'd be a pretty good first song to learn. If you've never touched a guitar before you could probably get em sounding in the ballpark within a week easy. Most of this stuff's relatively easy apart from getting the timing on really slow songs right. The real challenge is getting a poo poo hot amp, or in the case of EW the right fuzz pedal.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

It was touched on in the last thread, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend female fronted bands. Deathdoom is preferred, but all styles of doom are welcomed in reply. I am already aware of Mythic and Thorr's Hammer. Anyone know if Derketa(pre-Mythic)was doomy as well?

This reminds me apparently Kat left Salome.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

im_sorry posted:

I've been playing the hell out of that bass I bought last weekend (a $300 BC Rich Warlock 4 string), doing mostly scales and finger exercises, but I'd like to start learning some actual songs. Do most stoner rock songs need the bass downtuned like they do on the guitar?

Yeah, unless you're Geezer Butler where every song is one long solo, the bass generally plays the root note of whatever the guitar's doing, so both are usually tuned the same. The only song I can think of that isn't like that is Melvins-Boris where the guitar is tuned to drop A (A3 on the piano) and the bass plays the same riff on the A string tuned standard (also A3).

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
Speaking of Hydra Head, Khlyst is an interesting act too. James Plotkin and Runhild Gammelsaeter from Thorr's Hammer doing ambient drone-ish doom with goofball black metal vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAvhQJdan2U

After Khanate broke up Alan Dubin formed Gnaw, which is noisy electronic stuff, but still has a very sludgy feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-nQBi6KzvY

Also, anyone else into Zeni Geva? Screwy Japanese sludge, not like Corrupted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3FqQwmRiBk

But you should listen to Corrupted too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHkWMDNTvhY

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Oh hell yeah, blaring this through my lovely Microcube amp right now, it's amazing.

Sorry to bring up gearchat again but speaking of the Microcube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37xKzcjGXHw&t=96s

That fuzz pedal is so gnarly it's unmistakable even through a tiny-rear end practice amp.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

The bass has its place. I would encourage you to keep it and and keep at it at least for a bit. If you seriously start playing guitar or music in general you will be glad that you spent time with the bass. I play guitar and have had basses available but I've been itching to purchase a decent one for a long time and really spend some playing one. What I'm saying is that I'm envious of your position.

Or better yet take up drums instead. Too many guitarists, not enough drummers.

quote:

Also thanks for pointing out Bongripper everyone! How long until I become a jaded fan of the genre and think that nothing exciting is happening? Because it's awesome as gently caress right now.

It came up somewhere toward the end of the last thread but a number of folks did mention feeling that the genre's going through a stagnant period. There's still an enormous number of great bands to find out about for someone unfamiliar, but you do hit a point where you're just running into variations on a few themes.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
Behringer's a pretty terrible company and all they do is steal other companies' designs and switch the parts out with the cheapest Radio Shack crap they can find. But if you're buying a fuzz pedal, the SF300 is supposedly a clone of the Boss FZ-2, which is the Electric Wizard pedal. The Boss ODB-3 works great with bass and guitar. King Buzzo's live setup is an ODB-3 through Sunn preamps.

cheap sunglasses fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Apr 1, 2011

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
Truth be told you ought to be able to find something half-decent used on ebay or craigslist for under $50. Stuff like amps and effects you really don't need to purchase new, because they're designed to last and you can usually sell them for about what you paid used.

e: the Boss DS-1 also works well on bass, and they're about $40 new.

cheap sunglasses fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 1, 2011

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
Yeah it seems like they had half an idea and stretched it out to an entire track. While on the subject, did anyone else like whatever the first of this year's Boris records was called? I know someone here said they didn't care for it, but I thought it was alright.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
It's definitely the least cheesy thing they've done. Painkiller was much better at melding faux-jazz with extreme music, mostly because Zorn got people who knew how to play metal for that one. The Toll is pretty much a reunion of the version of Napalm Death which recorded side A of Scum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpKFobFY19Q

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

midge posted:

I picked up High on Fire's DISC after hearing it the store. Give me more of this poo poo please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KODikJAtgc8

You might like Lair of the Minotaur.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

Winston Chill posted:

Hey stonergoons, popping into your thread after seeing the Swedish bluesy stoner group Graveyard live for the first time. Their poo poo crazy show blew me totally away and made me forget that I was almost sober the whole night.

I recall they got some attention in the last thread, but I recommend checking out their second album Hisingen blues that just came out here in the EU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnGBa8dVm6k

If you like them, you'll probably also dig Wolfmother, The Vines, and Jet.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
The new Pentagram has the same problem as the new Danzig: everything sounds right but the songs aren't memorable at all outside the redone 70s tracks.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
Sounds like a regular uptempo rock beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
Wait, Scorn's touring? Like Mick Harris Scorn?

e: poo poo Godlfesh was playing the same fest. If Cathedral hadn't broken up a couple months ago and were there they coulda had an old school Napalm Death reunion.

cheap sunglasses fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 19, 2011