Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

when the gently caress is jack white gonna send me my live sleep album, I'm on the verge of canceling the subscription thing but I have no confirmation of anything happening so I kinda don't want to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

aw hell yeah Third Man sent me a tracking number for that Sleep direct-to-acetate package today, gonna be dope as gently caress

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I guess I know what I'm doing on 4/20

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

butros posted:

Goddam that's a great lineup.

I loving love me some Matt Sweeney.

5th time I'm seeing Sleep since they got back together, never seen a bad lineup.

They weren't supposed to go on hiatus for 3 years after June '18, but here we are.

It'd be super nice if I get to see Om, High on Fire and Neurosis again pretty soon, too. I saw Sleep and Neurosis like 2 weeks apart in '18 and it was awesome.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

butros posted:

I had tickets for HOF last week and didn't go because my daughter only has one lung and isn't old enough for vax and I'm not quite ready to be packed into a small club if it puts her at risk :smithcloud:

You made the correct, yet painful, decision.

Excited to see the first post-legal-weed Sleep show in Albuquerque for sure.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

The worst hearing damage I've ever had in one sitting was High on Fire/Mastodon/Suplecs/Clutch, and I'm pretty sure it was High on Fire and Mastodon that did it.

Absolutely, every time I've seen HoF or Sleep it's been a few days of recovery.

edit: first time I saw HoF was opening for Opeth on the Watershed tour, and Matt was so hosed up that he could barely play or sing, Jeff and Des carried him the entire show and I was like, "who is that shitass Nathan Explosion lookalike and what the gently caress was that?"
Then within a month his corpus of work reversed that opinion.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 29, 2021

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Imagined posted:

During the 2000s I had a side-gig interviewing bands for a site that was big at the time. I interviewed a bunch of punk and metal bands (among others -- novelists, comedians, scientists, etc). Anyway, almost to a rule most artists I talked to were just normal people with an extraordinary talent, but if they were your neighbor or something they'd be just another person. Particularly a lot of big scary looking metal dudes are really dorks at heart. Wouldn't be out of place at a Magic: the Gathering tournament if they weren't covered in spikes and tattoos. The metal persona was just that: a mask.

Matt Pike, though, was loving intimidating. Very laconic.

Incidentally Andrew WK was just as magical as you'd wish. I asked him a total of FOUR questions and he filled up both sides of a 90 minute cassette.

as I'd expect from a man who legitimately believes the annunaki engaged in a war with the reptillians and it's 100% real

also lol wanna hear that WK interview

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I just watched that Red Fang video and :lmao:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

spaced ninja posted:

Adult Swim is having some sort of festival today and we get to hear 4 new thou songs.

https://twitter.com/nonepaler/status/1459164985137971208

Adult Swim Festival last year gave us the first live performance of Asleep in the Deep, after everyone in Mastodon except Brann figured out how to arrange the chorus live lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh1ZLEA5rGg

and it was the opener

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Eat The Rich posted:

oh yeah, what the heck!

RE: baroness

I saw them when they toured with Deafheaven and Zeal and Ardor. They had a bunch of their stage lights aimed directly at my face for the whole set. I will never forgive them.

not stoner but lighting related, I saw APC one time (:rolleyes:, but I was young) and The Mars Volta opened.

Mars Volta suck dick live anyway, but at one point Cedric picked a spotlight up off the stage and shined it directly in my loving face for about 5 straight minutes.

I honestly just wanted to leave the rest of the night.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Ingmar terdman posted:

titty one titty two

lmao oh man

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

David Lee Pike got me jonesing to listen to that song at the beginning of the Alien Slut Mum video.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Pike vs The Automaton is out!

I'm on my lunch break but I listened to Abusive and Throat Cobra and I'm digging it

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It just sounds like High on Fire, which is always good!

It's so much like HoF that track 2 or 3 is my favorite on the album (#2 on this one)

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Snowy posted:

That was a cool record! I was so into Born Against back then

I got to see the Melvins when Big Business were in the Melvins and it was super sweet, two bands writing records together is always awesome and the deal is sweetened when there are two drummers

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

lmao that's some good Roper aping on that God Luck and Good Speed parody

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I just got that Bongzilla/Boris split single and really enjoyed it, plus I finally have something that I can use my 45 adapter on

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

hatelull posted:

The fact that getting that beast requires a sub to their vault is a crushing decision. Is that record worth a $75 spend? My weedian brain says yes. The new house and real life says ... maybe not.

I have the other one and it was, so, gently caress me I'm gonna do it

edit: I did it, I think this is like the 6th vinyl version of dopesmoker I'm gonna have now?

e2: also, all I did was cancel my vault sub after I got live at third man, it wasn't a big deal and I didn't get anything I didn't want. You're pretty much paying a convenience fee and production spot with every quarterly purchase on the day they tell you to pony up by.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 3, 2022

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

That was quite possibly the best Sleep concert I've ever been to, and I've been to every one through Albuquerque since they started touring with Roeder

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Seriously still super stoked after that show last night, the Rickenbacker 4420 is gnarly

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

He used the 4 string for Sonic Titan and used the 5 string for Antarcticans Thawed if I remember correctly (I was very high and drunk)

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

My buddy sent me that NPR article the other day and asked for my opinion and I just told him, "Matt Pike being a conspiracy theory-addicted dude who took way much acid and is kinda dumb is not news, but even dude acknowledges Pike ain't an antisemite so it's just a really tonally weird puff piece"

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

totally gonna hit Om up at Sister, gently caress yeah

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Third Man sent me an email yesterday saying they made a shipping label for that Dopesmoker definitive box set and they're shipping them alphabetically by first name, so I'm near the end but gently caress YEAH

Live at Third Man is so good, I'm so stoked to see the final product on this one

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

spaced ninja posted:

Same, but slightly relieved to see I’m not the only one.

Third Man is... interesting to deal with. I have never had a shipping issue with them though, they always come through. It was like a month after people started getting their Live at Third Man when I got my shipping email.

I actually called them about Live at Third Man and was reassured that it was in the pipe, you can do that too.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

butros posted:

Ofuk. What’s your last name start with? Wondering where I am in the pecking order.

it's not last name, it's first name

Third Man posted:

We are shipping this package in alphabetical order (A-Z) by FIRST NAME. If you see that your information says 'Pre-Shipment', don't worry! We have our shipping labels pre-printed, so your package is simply awaiting shipment.

Like I said, dealing with Third Man is weird.

That looks great, though, Detective Thompson. Really stoked.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 6, 2022

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

butros posted:

still ofuk :smith: my first name starts with P

you get yours shipped before mine

or at the same time, they aren't that far apart

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

spaced ninja posted:

poo poo I came to post that, it’s really good.

In other news I emailed third man about my vault order since it was still listed as unfulfilled on the website, turns out it’ll be here tomorrow!

just checked mine since there was no activity on it before I went to work yesterday, and it says it's at a regional facility in PA. Woo!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

This is killer.

Got my Third Man Dopesmoker last night, it is an impressive historical document about a band I love.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

hatelull posted:

"Sanctioned Annihilation" is my jam and those last two tracks rip. Maybe slightly more filler and less killer on that record, but I still maintain there is no straight up bad High in Fire album.

Sanctioned Annihilation is some of the most savage tom playing I've ever heard once that part starts (you know which part)

My favorite is De Vermis, 100% hands down. That album is mastered to sound like it is punching you in the face with drums.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Zoben posted:

I'm literally listening to De Vermis right now while working. It rules so loving hardcore. Nothing against Sleep, but I've always found HOF like a million times better. Serums of Liao? Hell yeah. Snakes for the Divine? Hell yeah. Devilution? Hell yeah. I love Matt's voice, it's got the perfect Lemmy growl but is unique, and there is a melody running through it unlike sludge vox (which I do love on their own in a different way, EHG and Bongzilla and Weedeater and such).

Definitely funny how everyone has different favorites, mine is Death Is This Communion. When I hear a lovely song playing when I'm out at a store or at the gym I always start humming "Fury Whip" in my head to drown it out. The title track has such a cool slow burn to it, I used to love listening to it when I'd be running. When he goes "Slithering blasphemous curse upon all liiiiiife" and the chorus riff blasts in, it's just so fuckin killer. Maybe not everyone's favorite track but it's got a lot of atmosphere, like Bastard Samurai (probably my fave track from Snakes, I drew a gig poster for them with a samurai on it which was cool because I got to meet Matt, although I was a bit too drunk and stoned to remember our interaction perfectly, haha).

First time I saw HoF was when they opened for Opeth on the Watershed tour, and in Albuquerque... Matt was very drunk, forgetting/not singing lyrics, broke a string, and it was one of the worst shows I had ever seen until Opeth came on stage and redeemed it. Never seen them play a bad show since, and Sleep are loving immaculate musicians when they play live. Really glad Matt is doing whatever works for him, because looking back on it that show was just an absolute mess for HoF.

My girlfriend went to the 4/20 Sleep show this year (she's a edm freak) and thought she was just gonna go see this band I love that she likes with my brother and I, and walked out of the El Rey theater saying, "I get it now." Granted, Al did pull out a double bass.

Zoben posted:

Sure, I don't like to spam the thread with my art and stuff but this one turned out well. It was for Riot Fest 2010 at the Metro in Chicago.

I wish I was at this show and bought this poster.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

The only time I saw High on Fire was in a bar, when they toured for Blessed Black Wings but it rocked.

The first time I saw them was when they opened for Opeth on the Watershed tour in Albuquerque at the Sunshine Theater, and Matt was so drunk he was forgetting lyrics and then he broke one of his strings and it was a very bad show that Opeth thankfully redeemed.

Never seen them like that ever again, thankfully.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Eat The Rich posted:

He said theyre gonna start mixing it after the tour and that it'll release next year. And then they're gonna tour again.

They didnt play any new stuff tho. Same setlist as always, which is still rad.

I was in the AL ZONE

hell yeah gonna go see them on Saturday

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

They played a new song near the end and it was REALLY good.
They also played it second-to-last because there's no way Emil's arms aren't straight noodles afterward, album is gonna SLAP.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Oct 16, 2022

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Laserface posted:

It's clear elder will never be heavy like dead roots stirring again, but I still support them by buying the albums of bandcamp even if I dont really like them in the hopes the data makes them tour here again.

They still play dead roots stirring and the end live most of the time from what I've seen

I bought a copy of Lore on vinyl and resigned to getting the black one and they sent me the Euro tour color disc instead, it was pretty sweet. Lore is a really nice vinyl package, too.
Really pissed I missed them when they were here not too long ago, I haven't seen them live and would like to see them play DRS.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

oh drat Albuquerque?

If I can make it I'm totally gonna catch that

edit: went to a show tonight and a bunch of the dudes that know Al called him to come to it but he's too busy mastering the Om album

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Mar 13, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Thinking about going to Yob next month, and then there's a festival here in August whose headliners are Weedeater, Pike vs. the Automaton, Brant Bjork and Belzebong, and right after that my girlfriend wants to go to Ween at Red Rocks

might be a busy couple of months for concerts in my household lol

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm going to Boris/Melvins in like 3 weeks at Sunshine Theater, I bet that's gonna be a loud one

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

man, Coady Willis fuckin' slayed filling in for Dale at Melvins last night. Such a good drummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

I just looked him up (I'm bad with names of guys in bands), and yes, he's awesome.

I got to see Melvins when Big Business were full-time in the band, that's how I found out about him. I was stoked when he was announced as the permanent replacement for Des in HoF.