Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I always make a point to listen to Pentagram, but when I get to the song "Pentagram (Sign of the Wolf)", I always end up putting it on repeat and listening to that one song over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Wow, new Boris is... interesting.

I guess I should clarify. New Album is... interesting.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Asnorban posted:

The new one with Merzbow was pretty great. New Album has some stuff I am down with (as others said, pretty shoegaze-ish at points) but holy crap some of it is terrible.

The song "Hope" almost sounds like a mid-90s Smashing Pumpkins song, which is kind of cool. If I'm in the right mood, I'm sure I'll listen to it again, but I'm still more excited about Heavy Rocks coming out next month.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Speaking of new Boris, Insound.com just e-mailed me to say that my Attention Please and Heavy Rocks pre-orders won't ship until the end of May now due to the tsunami and all that. I guess that means the album is delayed, not just that Insound is delayed.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Ordinary Jester posted:

Also Battle of Mice is great if you dont mind the vocals.

Oh wow I forgot about them. Their split with Jesu is really good.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 20, 2011

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

It was touched on in the last thread, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend female fronted bands. Deathdoom is preferred, but all styles of doom are welcomed in reply. I am already aware of Mythic and Thorr's Hammer. Anyone know if Derketa(pre-Mythic)was doomy as well?

You could try Dark Castle.

Stevie Floyd :swoon:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

amplifier worship posted:

UFO Mammut

Not trying to be a pedantic rear end, but it's "Ufomammut," pronounced 'oo-foh-mammut", nothing having to do with flying saucers.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Welp, looks like we were both right!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

HMorg posted:

I just came home with a copy of Earth 2 as well as the three Japanese Heavy Rock Hits 7"s.

Am giving Earth 2 its first spin.

I think the first JHRH 7" is the best, and on top of that I think the A-side, "8", is the best song from the JHRH records.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Kuno posted:

Should I go see Eyehategod and Church of Misery? I am thinking yes, I am not actually familiar with either of them (just haven't got round to buying any of their albums yet) but I'm pretty sure that they are Good Bands who play music in a genre I enjoy.

Eyehategod are good so yeah.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Friends Are Evil posted:

The guest appearances on this are ridiculous (in a good way). On a side note, is it just me or has Profound Lore been signing a lot of strong artists lately?

It seems that Blake Judd and Stevie Floyd are quite close... if they ever formed a band together, it would be the only band I ever listened to for the rest of time (this may or may not be an exaggeration).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Listen to the new Bongripper stuff here
Sex Tape/Snuff Film
Hate Ashbury Remastered

:worship:

Holy gently caress the new Bongripper 7" is heavy.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

ethan posted:

The full YOB/Dark Castle tour has finally been posted:
7/19 - Charlotte @ TBA

Oh my god yes. YOB and Stevie Floyd in the same night? Pinch me.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Oh my fuuuuuuuck I'm gonna be at that Raleigh show SO loving HARD

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
US Christmas are playing too? Fuuuuuuck what a show

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Psychedelius posted:

Is it wrong that I'm going to see EYEHATEGOD simply for the fact that Church of Misery are opening?

No. EHG are amazing live but CoM would be even more amazing to see.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Mordekai posted:

Yoshiaki from Church of Misery were right in my face at Hellfest, and I tasted his sweat.

Did it taste like weed? I bet it did.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
My best friend and I were working on some stoner metal like we always do and decided to take a break by recording a cover of Weedeater's "Monkey Junction".

Uploaded for your enjoyment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZvL_lpSxts

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are you guys from New Jersey? I like the cover for the most part, but there are times where the vocals sound really off because it sounds like you (or your friend) have a Jersey accent.

Nope, that's my friend Kelly. Cute tiny little girl with a huge gnarly voice.

And nope we're actually from North Carolina, about a 3 hours drive from Wilmington, where Weedeater is from :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I actually thought the timbre sounded like a female voice, but I didn't want to risk insulting a guy named Kelly in case I was wrong.

What's the story behind the waffle song you've got on there?

Haha. I ate a bomb-rear end waffle and wrote a goth song about it. There's no "story" per se.

Dyna Soar posted:

Regarding the cover I gotta say it's a perfect example why Weedeater rules so much. Your version is a simple riff played for 4 minutes with no variation. It's a good riff, but without the buildups, the octaves and both Dixies and Shep's tone it's just boring.

I can agree with that. Like I said, it's just something we threw together in 20 minutes while I was playing around with guitar tone and stuff.

Idioteque Dance posted:

Her voice is loving sick though, I hope she puts it to good use in the future.

Yeah, she's actually moving to Austin soon and already has plans to join a band she knows out there.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

The Gasmask posted:

Was anyone at YOB at le Poisson Rouge last night? It was my first time seeing them live, and they played every song I was hoping for, including Prepare the Ground and a Grasping Air duet with the lady from Dark Castle. It was so drat amazing, and afterwards I got to hug Mike and thank him for being so awesome. He even asked my name and introduced himself :3:. Definitely one of the friendliest and most personable artists I've met, it's worth talking to him after the show.

Did they play "Burning the Altar"? I'm seeing them Monday and I want my eardrums to explode out my butthole.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

fozzie dunlop posted:

Yes they did. It was bonecrushing.

gently caress I CAN'T WAIT

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Optimum Gulps posted:

Sounds like several goons are going to be at the Yob/Dark Castle/US Christmas show tonight at Kings. I'll be wearing this Nokturnal Mortum shirt. Say hello!

I'll be there in my Wolves in the Throne Room shirt. Say hello to me too! My name's Ian, so as to not be creepy (by that I mean goony)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Asnorban posted:

Just got back from YOB in Raleigh. One word review: fuccckkkkkkkkkk.

This right here. I saw UFOTofuTacoCat and said hello, but didn't see a Nokturnal Mortum shirt - sorry Gulps.

I took pictures, I'll post them when I develop and scan the film.

Also I think I'm in love with Stevie Floyd, but that's not news.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Shot pictures at the YOB show in Raleigh.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/iantuten/sets/72157627236943374/

edit-- Stevie Floyd

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's not "out" until August :ssh:

They're selling it on tour too. Just the CD though, not the LP :(

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

The Gasmask posted:

Wait really? I didn't notice it at the Le Poisson Rouge show, but I wasn't really looking at the CDs either. drat, guess I'll have to wait a while then.

I would have totally missed it too if Mike Scheidt hadn't said "here's a track from our new album, which we're selling at the merch table a month early," haha.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Nice meeting you Ian in my awkward hello from the internet way!

Somehow I had picked up that they were traveling with the new album. So I snatched that up while Dark Castle was still playing. They had a pretty cool shirt with them that I hadn't seen before with a dude that appears to be self flagellating.

edit: excellent show by the way even though the vocals were hardly audible down front. I have no idea now the mix turned out through the PA. That was the most excited I had been about a show in a long long time.

You too!

I picked up that shirt and one of the Dark Castle shirts. After I ran out of film I went to the back of the room and the sound was really good and full back there. Less crushing guitar and more full band/vocals. Good sound at King's for sure.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Those amps did look like Marshalls, I assumed they were and I thought I even saw the Marshall logo. He had them sitting to the right of his stack on the floor.

They definitely had the Black/Gold Marshall color scheme, and the knobs definitely look Marshall-y.

I'm curious what Stevie tunes to - she gets some really cool/weird chord sounds.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I've been really tempted to file my nut and put baritone strings on my guitar... you know what, gently caress it, I'm gonna do it. The world needs more A-tuned doom.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Cometa Rossa posted:

Has anyone here seen Boris live and can comment on their shows?

On another concert note, I'll definitely be there when Weedeater come to Vancouver. Can't wait.

I saw them at the first Scion Fest in Atlanta and it was an absolutely amazing show. Incredibly, unbelievably loud, but very good.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

I saw them in LA earlier this year and it was killer. They rule live.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I'm absolutely excited to see that Thou is supporting Wolves in the Throne Room on their east coast tour.

Get to see two kick rear end bands next month.

Not in NC it seems :(

BUT, I get to see Thou open for Pg. 99 this weekend so it's all good :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Actually...

Wolves in the Throne Room
Greensboro, NC, Legitimate Buisness - Sunday Sep 18th
Playing with: Mt. Eerie, Megaton Leviathan

Enjoy!!!

Oh I know! That's literally about a mile from my apartment :) I'm just saying, it doesn't seem Thou is opening at that show.

I'm still going to have a blast either way, assuming I can get in. Greensboro is absolutely bonkers for WitTR for some reason. It's all the hipster bike punk metal kids I think.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Weaponized Cum posted:

Would be cool if they came further south!

Further south than Florida?

Like... South America?

Cough put on a really righteous show, any FL goons should go.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

beeps-a-palooza posted:

electric wizard is playing MDF 2012.

Holy poo poo this is going to be the best MDF

GODFLESH (UK)
ELECTRIC WIZARD (UK)
SAINT VITUS
EYEHATEGOD
YOB
CHURCH OF MISERY (Japan)
RWAKE
COUGH

And that's just the bands that would be relevant to this thread :stare:
I thought Rwake broke up? Did I imagine that?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Silver Brushes posted:

Earth is coming to town tomorrow, would it be worth it to go if I'm not too terribly familiar with their discog?

If you can get high beforehand - yes

If you can't get high beforehand - yes

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
A band that I'd never heard of, Megaton Leviathan, opened up for the Wolves in the Throne Room show I went to this past weekend (and the played before an indie pop band and an R&B solo project... but I digress). They actually really blew me away, so I'm recommending their album, Water Wealth Hell on Earth to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSYABlLLpqQ

They're from Portland, so you know they're good. They sounded 100% heavier and huge live though.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Polegrinder posted:

Also Stevie from Dark Castle is pretty.

And dating the singer of Yob, so gently caress him basically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

nosophoros posted:

I thought Scheidt has kids? Not that the two are mutually exclusive, mind you.

Eh, when I saw them, Mike and Stevie were holding hands and kissing soooo, who knows.