Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

aliencowboy posted:

How are Harvey Milk live? I'm in New York for a few days next week and I'm thinking about checking them out if I have time.

Both times I have seen them it has been really drat good. I would definitely recommend it if you like them a decent amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

aliencowboy posted:

I can't say I've really heard any of their newer albums, but I really dig "My Love is..." and "Courtesy and Good Will..."

I didn't get into them until a few years ago, so I don't really have any of the "earlier albums are better because I heard them first" mentality, but have listened to all of them quite extensively by now. I think the new ones are just as good as the earlier ones and especially love the newest one.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Dyna Soar posted:

Boris has gone from being a consistently good band to consistently poo poo I couldn't care less for.

The new one with Merzbow was pretty great. New Album has some stuff I am down with (as others said, pretty shoegaze-ish at points) but holy crap some of it is terrible.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Was that Klatter with Merzbow or the pop style album?

Also Kamni rule.

Klatter was first, but it sounds like he was talking about New Album. Klatter was pretty great, but I am also a big fan of all their collaborations with Merzbow.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

cheap sunglasses posted:

If you like them, you'll probably also dig Wolfmother, The Vines, and Jet.

Woh.

I spend months and months not listening to anything by Moss, and then it re-appears to me on shuffle and I get a bit obsessed for like a week.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

It seems a Raleigh NC show has been added at Kings July 18th: https://www.facebook.com/#!/kingsraleigh

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssss. I could hold that s key down for the rest of the day.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Juaguocio posted:

If you liked their new album you might as well check them out, especially for 12 bucks.

I, however, can't stand that record, so I had planned to skip the show they played in Vancouver a couple days ago. I decided to go when I found out that Dead Meadow were opening, and I definitely didn't regret that choice because they were great. I loved seeing them do some extended jams on my favourite old tracks like "Sleepy Silver Door" and "Indian Bones." The Sword, on the other hand, were totally lame. Their new material was actually worse live than I anticipated, because the singer really sucks and their new drummer is not very tight. I thought that the live setting really revealed how bad their new stuff is compared to the old. I enjoyed "To Take The Black" and the tunes off Age of Winters (including "Iron Swan" as the encore, which was pretty cool), but everything else bored me half to death. Luckily, the Rickshaw Theatre has plenty of seats.

I am having a hard time justifying a weeknight drive to see Kyuss Lives partially because the Sword are opening. I can probably justify the cost of tickets and gas anyways, but man I don't like the newest album.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

DiscW posted:

I had never listened to Dark Castle, but finally checked them out since they're playing in Orlando and Tampa with Yob and some other great bands, and I discovered this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dgUkIVDtl4

I now love Dark Castle. Holy christ.

I may have said this in here before. If so, sorry.

A few years ago I was wondering around outside a bar and we heard some music coming from an auto garage down the street, we got some tall boys to go and stumbled upon Dark Castle playing in the garage. The best drunken discovery.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I'm looking for a bit of insight from some folks who live around Raleigh and are familiar with King's where YOB is playing Monday night. I'm coming from out of town but I used to live in Raleigh. I've only been to the old King's.

What time do you think YOB will go on?
Is street parking available around King's or should make other plans?

I'm going to be cutting it close timing wise so any useful information is much appreciated.

I am not 100% positive, but I believe there is a pretty big parking deck relatively close to Kings. Don't know if they normally start the shows on time there or not.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I'll be at Kings tonight wearing a black (of course) shirt that says PUSH with the silhouette of a guy pushing on a skateboard. My name is Jamie.

Apparently this thread is populated with people that live in the Triangle. Who knew.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Samael Jackson posted:

So basically I'm late to the isis party and just found out how good panopticon is. I've listened to oceanic a few times but I've just kept going back to panopticon since it's so good. How are their later releases? Also, please suggest other post metal stuff for me to try out!

I pretty strongly dislike everything post-Panopticon. But a large part of that is probably because I hold Celestial and Oceanic in such high regards. Panopticon was what got me into them, but those two are what keep me coming back (and going to shows). The live albums are also pretty well worth a listen in my opinion. The newer songs come across a good bit better live.

Just got back from YOB in Raleigh. One word review: fuccckkkkkkkkkk.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

EkoEkoAzarak posted:

It's ashame they are boring as all hell live. Same tempo, same volume, no dynamics. Fell asleep at the bar.

And completely opposite I thought they were great live. They could have come out and played just the Great Cessation and I would have been happy.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Quantum of Phallus posted:

New Mastodon, bar one or two songs, is pretty weak sauce.

Creature Lives is so far beyond any other song of theirs in how bad it is. They have done songs I didn't like, but that is so bad. I think between this and Crack the Skye they are in "listen to the new albums but don't get pumped any more for them" territory from here on out.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

EkoEkoAzarak posted:

So if you're a fan of white hills and in the philly area they are playing tomorrow.

http://www.facebook.com/events/268103439886364/

Pontiak always puts on a good show as well.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

saigon_15 posted:

We're doing a tour!

drat. I will be on Berlin from the states a few days after that.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

aliencowboy posted:

New Horseback!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okj2Y_GHRBs

Related: New Caltrop (same drummer):
Birdsong: http://www.shufflemag.com/track-premiere-caltrops-birdsong/
Form and Abandon: http://www.cvltnation.com/cvlt-nation-streaming-caltrop-form-and-abandon/

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

ONly have given the new HoF one listen but it didn't really hit for me. Really liked Samsara, but not much else made an overly positive impression. Really didn't like the first two tracks much at all, maybe they will grow.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Finally ordered the Dopesmoker vinyl reissue. Shipping was expensive enough that I decided to add the new Earth to the order since it barely bumped the shipping up further. I am sure this is an intentional side-effect of high shipping.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

nomapple posted:

I'll give it a bash. I heard their previous effort once I think but it didn't make much of an impression on me. Always willing to give artists another chance though, I think I am more open-minded about music than I was when I first listened to them. Thanks.

If by previous effort you mean Songs for Singles that is an easy pass. Meanderthal was by far their best, and In Return and the new one are pretty good. The new one (Harmonicraft) is loads better than Songs for Singles, which was pretty drat bland in my opinion.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Silver Brushes posted:

Dopesmoker vinyl (and shirt) (and poster) please get here soon :ohdear:

Can't wait for this. Have a night planned with my brother-in-law to come over and listen to it when it gets here. He has never heard it before (tends to go for faster, less spacey metal), which should make for a good experience.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Morbid Florist posted:

I'll be the guy who says I don't like the new baroness sound. It's too much like other bands, there's no real experiments/risks being taken. No edge to the sound, maybe is what I'm trying to say.

I prefer the Red album :colbert:

I am with you 100%. My friend sent me a link to March to the Sea with "Check out this badass new Foo Fighters song!" and I get where he went with that. It's not bad, and if I turn on the radio it would be great to hear something like this instead of what is commonly played on the radio. Sort of a Torche-y sound. But I definitely prefer Red and the EPs.

Still really interested in hearing the full album.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

nuncle jimbo posted:

Your friend is dumb and you should hit him for me. Tell him the internet sends its regards.

I will indeed hit him for cracking a joke. :thumbsup:

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Good news, Southern Lord sent me a confirmation email for shipping the Dopesmoker vinyl today. It should be here very soon.

Excellent. Really hoping to get mine by this weekend.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Silver Brushes posted:

My records/posters/shirt came in today. And also a catalog for packing/shipping supplies addressed to a totally different street. I blame the mailman's contact high

I bet I got pushed because I placed my order with the new Earth record (since shipping was already so high.) I don't mind them being incredibly slow getting these out, I just don't like that I was charged a month and a half ago for stuff that still hasn't shipped.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

WASDF posted:

I hope Boris have a reason to tour this year. I only just got into them and I really want to see them. Three albums last year is a lot, would be neat if they did one this year but I would live without one; I just want a tour.

Is there a Boris thread on SA?

There will be one when you don't expect it and it will still disappoint you. You will then see them live and they will only play one song from Pink, one from (old) Heavy Rocks, and only the shorter faster songs from anything post-Pink.

Last time they came through was the first time I skipped them since 2006, as I had read a few setlists and it looked pretty "meh". Just want them to play Feedbacker like they did when I saw them with Sunn.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

hemophilia posted:

...Eula, but that song sounds like Baroness doing their best Muse impression. The guitar solo towards the end is straight out of Muse's song Fury and vocals aside, it sounds like you could find this on Origin of Symmetry.

Agreed, plus maybe with some newish Thrice.

Hopping in on the new Om being great. I usually try to only listen to a record once a day but broke and listened to it three times yesterday.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Cometa Rossa posted:

So I still don't have my new Dopesmoker yet, and I'm pretty sure I ordered it the day after the bundles came out. Anyone else not get theirs yet?

I don't have mine either (I ordered right at the beginning of May.) I emailed them to ask and they said that as of June 26 they had just started processing orders placed at the beginning of May and that it "may take a little longer" to receive. They also updated their Facebook page saying they expect all orders to *hopefully* go out by mid July. Nothing has ever taken longer to ship. Either they are significantly smaller than I thought or they are just the slowest at processing orders of any company I have dealt with recently.

The second it comes I will forget all my frustrations though.

Asnorban fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 2, 2012

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

boxcarhobo posted:

I don't know if these guys belong here or have been talked about before, but Hog from Durham, NC is a band I have been very big on lately. They're Psychedelic/Doom and they haven't been around very long, but their first EP was produced by Philip Cope. I've seen them twice now, they only get better, their new album is supposedly dropping this year (I talked to some of the dudes and the bassist just has to track his vocals, as of 3 weeks ago). Their new material is really something to behold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfQh0heSb64
(probably their doomiest)

http://www.myspace.com/hoggnogg
http://www.reverbnation.com/hoggnogg

Rich also plays live with Horseback.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

It's difficult to say I don't like the new Baroness and not feel like an rear end, especially given some of the vitriol in this thread towards those who didn't like the songs that were streaming for the past month or so. I have given it two listens and struggled through parts of it both times. Outside of the vocals I like some of it (a lot of the instrumentation), but don't love much of it. There are a lot of songs that are reminiscent of other songs / bands for me (Torche, Thrice, Minus the Bear and Foo Fighters of all things) and not in a good way. I really don't like the vocals (nor the lyrics) on most of the songs either.

I don't know how much of this is because of my inability to disassociate what a band's sound was when I started liking them from their current sound, but I am pretty confident this album just isn't for me. I can't call it bad, because it certainly isn't, but it isn't for me. I will still give it plenty of listens though, as there have been plenty of albums I turned around on after some time.

Asnorban fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 6, 2012

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Sleep record finally came, about to get real up in here.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Had to post this here so I could rage on Southern Lord. I ordered the new Earth album when I ordered Dopesmoker on vinyl, for which I was charged but never shipped. I assumed they were shipping it with the Sleep record and I was fine waiting. I get my Sleep record and no Earth record so I email them back asking what was up and when it would ship. They finally get back to me after a week or so saying that the Earth record isn't available. Thanks for taking my money, sitting on it for two months, and then not refunding my money once you knew it wasn't available and I had to email to ask where the crap I paid for was. Never ordering from them again if at all possible.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Asnorban posted:

...My friend sent me a link to March to the Sea with "Check out this badass new Foo Fighters song!"...

nuncle jimbo posted:

Your friend is dumb and you should hit him for me. Tell him the internet sends its regards.

pitchfork posted:

It's what Torche have done well in the past, especially on Meanderthal, but it's bigger, more spacious and stadium-sized here. (Like if Torche actually were the Foo Fighters.)

Looks like dumb friend deserving of a punch wasn't the only one.

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

Well, today I listened to Dopesmoker for the first time. Never before have I wished I smoked weed.

Since I got the record I have been listening to it a few times a week and each time it gets better.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

FarmerHank posted:

I thought this would be the best place to post this question.

I saw that in the Southern Lord store they sold a " The Power of the Rift 2012" poster, and I enjoy posters. So I sent an email of what the size of the poster would be (Since the store has like no information except price) and the response I got was "sorry i don't know that information."

... uhh... what.

Don't expect much of customer service from Southern Lord. Have now had a few bad experiences with them and any email replies are always terse and sometimes a little rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I'm still interested in the album, but they are definitely a band who peaked on their first album for me and I every subsequent album hasn't been as good as the last. I still hope this is just a bland single and there will be some good stuff on there.