Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I want to start listening to Pentagram. What album should I start with? I've heard a little bit from them, but I haven't heard much at all. I mostly know of them as Witchcraft's main inspiration.

Kinda depends on what you're looking for.

There are two compilations of their 70s material out there, "First Daze Here" and "First Daze Here Too" which are great and after that you probably want their debut album. If you look hard enough you should be able to find the 2CD release that combines the debut (was selftitled but then re-released as Relentless) with the second album "Day of Reckoning". Most people tend to stop after that.

As a related act I can also recommend picking up Bedemon's "Child of Darkness" album, Bedemon was sort of an early 70s spin-off of Pentagram and is also great. The release is all demo sessions though, as nothing was officially released now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I can't really imagine that it would be too hard to learn some Thergothon songs, although hitting the guitar tone could be tricky.

edit: also, I would like to recommend the debut album of Saturnus if you like death'ish doom metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNC4p7V2SdU

MrBling fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 23, 2011

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
There isn't really much doom-black metal. I guess that maybe Dragged into Sunlight, but they're not really all that doomy either.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Dyna Soar posted:

There's a bunch of bands that have taken influences from either but no not enough to make up a distint style.

Exactly, it's not like death-doom where they basically just said "right, this is what this sounds like forever and ever" and left it there.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Are there any doom bands out there that are just bassguitars and drums with no actual guitars that are also good. kinda like a doom version of necromantia.