Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

note this OP hasn't been updated for many years and much of it is literally over a decade old so i'll maybe update it when i'm feeling less lazy lol

Stoner rock or stoner metal is a musical subgenre which combines elements of traditional heavy metal, psychedelic rock, blues rock, acid rock, and doom metal. Stoner rock is typically slow-to-mid tempo and features a heavily distorted, groove laden bass-heavy sound, melodic vocals, and "retro" production. The genre emerged during the early 1990s and was pioneered foremost by the Californian bands Kyuss and Sleep.

Sludge metal is a subgenre of heavy metal that melds elements of doom metal and hardcore punk, and sometimes southern rock. Sludge metal is typically harsh and abrasive; often featuring shouted or screamed vocals, heavily distorted instruments and sharply contrasting tempos. While the style was anticipated by the Melvins from Washington, many of its earliest pioneers were from the city of New Orleans

Doom metal is an extreme form of heavy metal music that typically uses slower tempos, low-tuned guitars and a much "thicker" or "heavier" sound than other metal genres. Both the music and the lyrics intend to evoke a sense of despair, dread, and impending doom. The genre is strongly influenced by the early work of Black Sabbath, who formed a prototype for doom metal with songs such as "Black Sabbath", "Electric Funeral" and "Into the Void". The Beatles' 1969 song "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" is sometimes considered to be the first ever work of doom rock/metal. During the first half of the 1980s, a number of bands from England (Pagan Altar, Witchfinder General), the United States (Pentagram, Saint Vitus, Trouble) and Sweden (Candlemass, Count Raven) defined doom metal as a distinct genre.

Introductory Records
Sleep - Dopesmoker
Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley - the fathers of stoner rock, often a stepping stone to the wide world of stoner/doom and desert rock
Black Sabbath - Master of Reality - The fathers of doom
Bongripper - Satan Worshipping Doom - instrumental stoner/doom/sludge
Queens of the Stone Age - Rated R - atmospheric post-Kyuss stoner rock
Electric Wizard - Dopethrone - psychedelic stoner/doom metal
YOB - Catharsis - psychedelic stoner/doom metal
Down - NOLA - Heavy southern sludge
Sleep - Holy Mountain - Quintessential stoner metal
ISIS - Panopticon - Sludge metal with post-rock influence
Neurosis - The Eye of Every Storm - atmospheric post-hardcore sludge, often seen as pioneers of sludge metal alongside ISIS
Sunn O))) - Black One - drone/doom, highly recommended for loud speakers and a dark room
Cult of Luna - Salvation - atmospheric sludge metal
Fu Manchu - King of the Road - straight-up stoner rock

Need more goon-approved records?:
Ufomammut - Snailking, Eve - psychedelic, almost-instrumental doom
Weedeater - God Luck and Good Speed, Jason... The Dragon
Baroness - Red Album, Blue Record - progressive, melodic sludge rock
High on Fire - Blessed Black Wings - stoner metal
Clutch - Blast Tyrant - heavily blues-influenced stoner rock
Boris - Amplifier Worship, Flood, Heavy Rocks, Feedbacker, Absolutego+
Electric Wizard - Come My Fanatics...
Torche - Meanderthal
Pelican - Australasia
Bongzilla - Amerijuanican
Earth - Earth2 (drone/doom), Hex, The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull (country-influenced doom jams)
Omega Massif - S/T
Toner Low - S/T
Brotherhood of Sleep - Dark As Light
Ramesses - Take The Curse - Kinda like old Electric Wizard, really good
Wo Fat - Noche Del Chupacabra
Shrinebuilder - S/T
Sun of Nothing - The Guilt of Feeling Alive
Kylesa - Static Tensions
Sunn O))) - Monoliths and Dimensions
Khanate - Things Viral
Om - Pilgrimage
Goblin Cock - Bagged and Boarded
Neurosis - Through Silver in Blood - the fathers of Isis and the likes, alternating between moody atmospheres and sheer ear-splitting heaviness
Acid Bath - When the Kite String Pops - evil, filthy-sounding sludge doom, with a couple creepy ballads thrown in for good measure
Eyehategod - Take as Needed for Pain - bluesy, sick sludge)
Crowbar - Sonic Excess in its Purest Form - straight-up no-bullshit sludge
Corrosion of Conformity - Wiseblood - Southern-style stoner metal
Soilent Green - Pussysoul - lo-fi sludge/grind
Cathedral - Carnival Bizarre - rocking, psyched-out stoner... so sabbathy they got Iommi himself as a guest
Melvins - Houdini - I... don't think I can quite explain The Melvins
Melvins - Lysol
Dark Castle - Spirited Migration - Doom Metal from Florida
Salome - Terminal - More doom. doom doom doom.
Bison B.C. - Quiet Earth/Dark Ages - The Pepsi to Mastodon's Coke (unfortunately Mastodon are in their new Coke phase right now). I've never been able to get into Mastodon, but I can't get enough Bison.
Ancestors - Of Sound Mind - Fantastic, heavy, meandering fuzzed out psychedelia. Lots of jammy organ noise if you're into that sort of thing. Fans of Black Mountain will eat them up.
U.S. Christmas - Eat the Low Dogs/Run Thick in the Night - I don't even know what I'd call the kind of music these guys play, but I do know they definitely belong in this thread. I've never heard anything quite like them. Their albums are like a fever-dream soundtrack to Blood Meridian with a heavy Hawkwind influence.
Blood Ceremony - Master of Confusion - If you're in this thread, you probably like Black Sabbath and Jethro Tull. This band is their child, with a female vocalist
Truckfighters - Gravity X - desert rock with big muffy riffs that hammer down like a pile-driver.
Karma to Burn - Almost Heathen - Instrumental, more or less straight forward, riff driven stoner rock
Color Haze - Tempel - High gain 70's style psychedelic stoner rock
Reverend Bizarre - In the Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend - A cornerstone of Finnish doom
Thou - Peasant - If you can call a sludge album beautiful, it is this.
Fall of Efrafa - Inlé - Some of the more impressive walking-in-the-footsteps-of-Neurosis material. Free download here!
Los Natas - Corsario Negro - Sounds like your flying over the Andes in a plane made out of Hawkwind and powered by acid.
Atomic Bitchwax - Atomic Bitchwax(Self-Titled Album) - Somewhat similar to Karma to Burn but has vocals, has more a space rock feel, and even trippier.
Dopefight - Buds - heavy, catchy stoner/doom
Witch - Witch - sick stoner rock
Blue Cheer
Monster Magnet
Traditional doom:
Pentagram
Trouble
Saint Vitus
Candlemass
Grief
My Dying Bride
Paradise Lost
Anathema
Skepticism
Longing for Dawn
Evoken
Esoteric
Mournful Congregation

Goon Bands! - let me know if you're in a band and we'll add you to the list. If we can get more posters' bands signing in, we'll (finally) be able to do our compilation!
HUGENELK - juaguocio's band Bandcamp last.fm
Bad Actor - West's band last.fm Bandcamp
Saturnalia Temple - saigon_15's band last.fm Metal Archives | New LP: US store EU store
Ever Circling Wolves - HMorg's band last.fm Metal Archives
Gallery - Killer Low Life's band last.fm Anno Exitum - LP demo free download
Consular - Saint Clavicus' band Bandcamp last.fm
Woodrue - Dyna Soar's band Bandcamp

Merch & Information
Check out All That's Heavy if you want information, news, CDs, shirts, DVDs etc. Great selection of merch, very devoted store. Most regular posters here will swear by this site.

Labels
Here's some good places to find out about new releases from stoner/doom/sludge labels from all over, props to Dyna Soar for the list:

Dyna Soar posted:

Alien8 (Nadja, The Unicorns, Acid Mothers Temple)
Tee Pee (Too many to mention, out of the recent ones Black Math Horseman, Naam etc.)
MeteorCity (Snail, Flood, Elder, Black Pyramid...)
Southern Lord (Boris, SunnO))) etc.)
Hydra Head (Torche, Khanate, Big Business)
Rise Above (Church Of Misery, Electric Wizard, Moss, SerpentCult etc. etc.)
Kult Of Nihilow (Fleshpress Sloth, Marzuraan, released some stuff by Boris and Church Of Misery)
Kaos Kontrol (Sink, Hebosagil, Stumm)
Vendetta Records (Salome, Thou, Black Shape Of Nexus)
Throne Records (Grief, Monarch!, Cathedral etc.)
Alone Records (Orthodox, Cuzo, Beiruth, Moho)
Ipecac Recordings (Isis, Melvins, Bohren Und Der Club Of Gore, Qui, Ruins, Unsane etc. etc.)
Robotic Empire (Windmills By The Ocean, Torche, Made Out Of Babies, generally vinyl versions of awesome bands.)
Kemado (Saviours, The Sword, Danava)
Prosthetic (Kylesa, Himsa, Yakuza)
Metal Blade (Lots of lovely metal, but also Soilent Green, The Ocean and other good releases occasionally)
Important Records (Acid Mothers Temple, Bardo Pond, Cave, Conifer etc. etc.)
The End Records (A lot of poo poo like Lordi or Dir En Grey but also Made Out Of Babies, Nadja, Hull, Early Man etc.)
Diwphalanx (Japanese home of Boris, also Greenmachine, Church Of Misery, Eternal Elysium etc. Loads of solid japanese doom & stoner)
Conspiracy Records (Gnaw, Knut, also releases by Boris and Isis)
PsychoDOOMelic (Reverend Bizarre, Reino Ermitano etc. etc. One of the best european labels)
Man's Ruin (legendary stoner label that was at the center of the birth of the style in the 90s. Every one of the releases by Man's Ruin is awesome.)

There's a goldmine of great heavy music out there. If you've found something you love and need more recommendations then this is the place to ask!

~
god luck and goon speed
~

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Our most recent posts have focused on ultra-low downtuning, and seeing Horseback live.

As I've got a couple of guitars to mess around with, I'd like to tune one of them down way more than I can currently manage. What kind of gauge strings would I need to play, for example, Satan Worshipping Doom (tuned to F, apparently)? I got some slightly thicker than normal strings a while back but it gets way too floppy by the time I get to, say, A#.

Really hope I get to see Horseback someday!

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 14, 2011

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

HMorg posted:

How about also having a list of bands with goons in them. Off the top of my head, I can think of four, probably someone remembers some more.
Hugenelk - juaguocio's band
Bad Actor - West's band
Saturnalia Temple - saigon_15's band
Ever Circling Wolves - my band

If I got anything wrong there, please correct me.
Edited in some myspace links.
Excellent idea, it was something I was meaning to do a few days back but it slipped past me. If any more sign in we'll get round to that compilation for sure.

I'll be happy to post bandcamp/store links to the OP too :)

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 9, 2011

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
^ Good point. I swear I know almost all of these bands already and totally agree that they should be there, but I just can't come out with such a massive list (plus, I don't want to be the only person deciding what goes on the list)

Thanks for the patience while I build the list guys. You can probably tell trad doom isn't as much my thing as the stoner and sludge side of things, so I could do with some brief descriptions for those bands.

I'd still like to split it into subgenres though, but the lines between them blur so much between many of the bands that they're hard to just put in one category. Still, I could try sorting into: stoner rock, desert rock, stoner/doom, doom, trad doom, funeral doom, drone/doom, sludge, sludge/doom, atmospheric sludge (post-metal? I love the amount of hate that label gets)...

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 10, 2011

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
You should also try google cache, or archive.com perhaps.

While watching that Dopefight video (again) that was linked earlier, I came across this Hawk track in the similar videos. Pretty sick.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Well, on (very) early first impressions, it sounds pretty kickass. And I really respect bands that put out their music for free - you're going in the list for sure.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Eksortna posted:

I concur. Was sort of disappointed when I'd noticed it was not.
THERE, ARE YOU HAPPY NOW

(I hope so)

Apparently Bong has a new LP coming very soon, too. Looking forward to that.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Come on, that cover of Only Shallow was great.

Kilometers Davis posted:

OP suggestion: Add Warning - Watching From A Distance to the first post. It's the most intense doom albums I've heard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FMr61LyEV0
Actually this is a good album - it never stood out as one of the best in the genre at all but it definitely succeeds in making some pretty loving depressing music.

Also I can't believe how long I've been meaning to check out Khanate. Just never got round to it. Which should I listen to/add to the OP?

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 21, 2011

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks - I think 3 vouches for Things Viral is enough! I do remember the completely brutal-yet-arty video for Dead, which is well worth checking out for anyone who's not seen it.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Diseased Yak posted:

New thread, whoop! I've been away a few days, so this is a nice surprise.

I'll just pimp my favorite sludge band that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

The Deep Blue (http://www.myspace.com/thedeepbluewizard)

They only have two albums, and one is available on vinyl only and it's merely "good". The one you should all get is Antarctic Abyss. Two tracks, approximately 30 minutes of music, yet it's some of the most bone-crushing, down-tuned, melt-your-loving-face-off riffs ever recorded. The lyrics, which come in a near chant or drone, evoke Lovecraftian themes of hidden dark entities in the cold, crushing deep. It's pretty much straight-up Sleep worship, but this is not a bad thing imo. The final few minutes of the second track will destroy your brain!

The only fault with this band is that they aren't putting out a new album every year. Track it down, listen ye goons!
Thanks for the reminder, I've not listened to them in ages. It is really good.

Meanwhile, I just learned to play the oft-linked Dopefight - Saviour on guitar and while pretty simple, it is really really fun to play. Anybody have any other good songs they've been learning on guitar? I need to stop jamming so much and start building a repertoire, but I'd rather it be stoner/sludge/doom than more popular rock songs.

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 22, 2011

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Space human being posted:

If you want more noodly pentatonic stuff you can't go wrong with anything from Holy Mountain. You already know Dragonaut, don't you?
Yup! Though I can't flawlessly pull off the fast section yet without doing it really slowly. I'll get there.

I agree with the guy talking about Electric Wizard, the riffs are slow and repetitive to play along with but really easy to find the pentatonic scale they're using and just jam on top of it (like the second guitar on the intro to Funeralopolis).

This Devonali label is great, I'm really enjoying the new Lento album while downloading a bunch of other bands' material, so I'm looking forward to getting stuck into them.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You will more than likely love Ufomammut's Eve.
They did a split with Lento a while back, think they might be on the same label but the music is very similar and Eve is an incredible album. Many here swear to Snailking but I've never heard it.
It was actually a full-on collaboration album, and yeah it's well worth checking out.

Snailking is awesome too, though they're all worth listening to.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Diseased Yak posted:

gently caress me, all these awesome tours and I have to live in the rear end-crack of America that bands avoid (rightly so) like the plague. Le sigh.

Two new (to me) albums I've spun up this morning, worthy of mention:

Weedeater - Jason... the Dragon
Standard awesome Weedeater riffs. The album kinda goes off into different genres on a couple of tracks, but I don't mind. Loves me some Weedeater; album does not disappoint necessarily, just wish there was more to it.

Brotherhood of Sleep - Dark As Light
Instrumental album with four tracks, the shortest of which is over 11.5 minutes. Crushing riffs and amazing tone. I love what they've achieved here. Lots of psychedelic action as well, which will go on for a while, then suddenly you get dragged back down into the depths to be pummeled by titanic sludge. Reminds me of Mammatus awesome The Coast Explodes, only way loving heavier. Highly recommended.

EDIT: After listening through it twice, I'm ready to pronounce the Brotherhood of Sleep album my favorite album so far this year. Holy gently caress it's awesome!
Brotherhood of Sleep sounds promising, I look forward to hearing it. I'm loving the new Weedeater though, but I suppose my expectations were for nothing short of just standard Weedeater riffs and attitude, which is good enough for me.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Faffel posted:

Bongripper - Worship/Satan/Doom
and
YOB - Ball of Molten Lead

These songs have been about the only thing I've listened to for almost a week straight. They're goddamn beautiful pieces of music and have ruined most other music for me lately. Any suggestions for more of this beautiful poo poo? I have the typical Orange Goblin, Electric Wizard discog but eh. I've played them out.

I really can't overstate how good Ball of Molten Lead is. This song blows me away each and every time. It's great.
Try maybe Toner Low, or the new Brotherhood of Sleep album that was recently mentioned - really good stuff there and hopefully along the lines of what you're thinking of. All of YOB's other stuff is worth checking out if you haven't.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Dyna Soar posted:

Why don't you learn how to play it first.
Yup, one man's meat is another man's poison. Just trade it in for a cheap electric guitar to get you going and you'll barely have to spend anything more. You have the added benefit of really feeling the difference once you go to a better guitar with your experiencec in a year's time or whatever.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Don't skip out on their other stuff though. I meant what I said before; I can't think of even a mediocre song in their entire discography. Maybe the production on the first album is a bit muddy, but the songs kick rear end none the less.

Man, I fuckin' need to listen to Catharsis now. Thanks guys.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Here is a band called Wizard Smoke. They have their new LP free for download right there. I haven't even heard it yet, but, you know... free music.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Check out the new Boris song from Heavy Rocks, Riot Sugar. MP3 download here. First impressions are very good, best Boris I've heard in a long time. Really looking forward to this album now.

This album cover looks... familiar...

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I watched Such Hawks, Such Hounds today - really fun to watch if you're invested in the genre. It's not a life changing or particularly educational documentary, but it has a lot of good soundbites and performances from lots of the big acts on the scene.

Oh, and thanks guys for the recommendations for Kamni and Brotherhood of Sleep - nice to know there're still great artists keeping stoner/doom alive with refreshing ideas.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
So anyone going to Kyuss tomorrow (Manchester)? I've been hearing good things about the tour so far.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Nice. I had one more spin of dopesmoker on the train journey to Manchester.

Is it cool if I post some really old Sleep bootlegs?
These are from like twenty years go.

Yes

Also Kyuss ruled.

el rodeooooo

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
So hyped for Roadburn!

Probably gonna ask this in better places, but for those who have gone, do you know a place in Eindhoven or Tilburg to pick up a tent? My friend and I are flying over and aren't paying out the rear end for luggage.

Anyway, it is an absolutely beautiful, sun-baked day today - easily the nicest day of the year so far - and I need music to match it. Let's have 'em. I'm starting with Dead Meadow - Ain't got nothing to go wrong but hopefully we can get a nice collection going suitable for just basking in the sun.

edit: One more thing... 230MB of stoner rock flyers/posters.

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 8, 2011

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Gonna see Earth at Roadburn but I just noticed how short it is to travel to Cardiff from here, so I think I'll head over there on the 11th.

And Voice of God is indeed pretty drat great.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone want to get together for a doob at Roadburn? I don't know anyone going apart from the friend I'm travelling with and it'd be cool to meet some of you guys, which I've never done... though I did once meet a non-goon who'd been lurking in this thread (I said hi after I saw he had an Orange Goblin hoodie on).

edit: For the extremely spontaneous, there are loads of spare Roadburn tickets going here http://www.foreverdoomed.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=20562

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 11, 2011

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I think my biggest concern is being homeless in the Netherlands on the 13th. We're hoping to just find an inconspicuous place to set up camp in/out of town :I

Also don't have a campsite ticket for the night of Afterburner, we're hoping we can cheese our way into it somehow.

Good call on choosing the running order, gonna have to get to that tonight (before I leave to see Earth!)

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I walked out after the first shrinebuilder song to see ufomammut, but man it was worth it. It was such an amazing weekend, I'm actually still here typing this from a coffeeshop :420:

Will post more about it when I get back but I can safely say sunn o))) definitely destroyed me more than any other band but Cough and Void of Voices were my favourite surprise acts.

What I saw of shrinebuilder was great though!

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 18, 2011

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Well, I know for sure I missed many great bands - a problem when pretty much all of them are great choices - there were some torturous clashes but here was my lineup:

Quest For Fire - a nice warmup gig, nothing mindblowing but entertaining
Acid King - simply awesome
Naam - a really nice surprise, I had no idea who they were. Psychedelic technical doom... or something!
Cough - solid stoner/doom with extra slow, extra loud, extra fuzzy live shows. One of my favourites by far, they blew my loving mind
Godflesh - wasn't familiar with them but I can see why people were so excited. I went off half way to see The Atomic Bitchwax but honestly, Godflesh were just doing it for me way more at the time. I'll be checking out Streetcleaner at least

Mammifer - saw about 15 minutes of them; they must have played about 4 guitar notes. They were very loud notes, though. Enjoyable atmospheric doom
Circle - Earth were supposed to come on, but Circle came on instead. This was a disappointment and they weren't really my thing :(
Void Ov Voices - Atilla's (Sunn's vocalist for Monoliths) solo project where he sits round a small skull-candlelit table, and processes his vocal drones into bassy loops and screams/does his general thing over them. Very theatrical and really really enjoyable. I want to hire him out for some vampire party or something
Winter - Really cool stoner/doom, will be checking them out more
Earth - As excellent as the recent gig I went to. Absolutely engrossing and had the whole audience hypnotised
Sunn 0))) - the loudest band by far and my first time seeing them live. What an amazing pants-making GBS threads experience. They started with Orthodox Caveman, but slowed down so much it was almost unrecogniseable. Again, the whole audience was absolutely transfixed
Scorn - Just popped my head in, sounded like some sick drum and bass/dubstep though

Master Musicians of Bukkake - another good surprise. Fully costumed band with 7 or so members, starting with atmospheric drones and moving onto middle eastern deserty doom rock.
Lonely Camel
White Hills
Weedeater - it's Weedeater. Need I say more?
Evoken
Imaad Wasif
Shrinebuilder - sounds loving excellent live. Definitely one of those bands you "get" once you see them live, though I had to leave early to beat the queue for the other venue for Ufomammut. I would've happily stayed otherwise.
Dragontears - pretty good psychedelic stoner rock but it was a bit underwhelming with the small crowd and knowing Shrinebuilder were on
Ufomammut - absolutely sick. They started with Stigma, then played all of Eve, then a few old songs. Eve sounds amazing live and really gives it more life for those who've maybe worn it down a bit.

Spindrift - psychedelic spaghetti western music. Yup.
Sungrazer
Blood Farmers - good riffs and b-movie gore in the background
Coffins - kicked rear end! Really heavy poo poo and great riffs.
Dead Meadow
Black Mountain
Black Pyramid
Sourvein

You can probably tell that it was all great, really. But the atmosphere, the organisation, and the people were amazing. It is paradise for stoner/doom/sludge fans. Nobody there was a dick and you could tell everyone was there truly for the love of the music and not simply to get wasted. On the contrary, it's surely the most civilised metal festival that exists. The campsite had a really nice atmosphere too (and actual toilets and hot showers!), plus the town of Tilburg is absolutely lovely and the rest of the town seemed welcoming of the somewhat odd crowd flocking in for the weekend.

I'll be going every year from now on.

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 19, 2011

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Thalamus posted:

I don't really understand the appeal of these folks. Lori's vocals are generally so horribly out of tune that I find their music to be completely unlistenable.
If you're curious about a reasoning from someone who does like them, I'd say that that's an aspect which really isn't important given the context of the band - for me it's that they have a very raw, powerful sound which gives more priority to gut feeling and viscerally charged vocals. A nuanced vocal melody isn't really part of their tone or image. It just really fits their trippy, biker image and sound. If you don't like that, well, it's not exactly hard to find music with more melodic vocals. I'm pretty confident most fans would agree with that.

They sounded great live, though. Like a kickass motorbike engine on acid.

I'm reminded ofthe post-rock band A Silver Mt Zion (who most people here would hate), who are quite popular but get a lot of hate for rather amelodic, nasal but very visceral vocals.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Polegrinder posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0eyobvhOQs

:420:Happy 4/20:420:
Today is the day to post songs overtly and unashamedly about weed!

Rise... vision through THC
:drum::420: Maaaaa-riiiiii-juana! :420::drum:
Long live dirtweed

Posting any and/or every Bongzilla song is also permitted

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Stink Hungry posted:

I didnt know it was possible to not know who Godflesh is
Of course I knew about them, my old housemate (who I went to roadburn with) is obsessed with Justin Broadrick, I just never gave them the time. There's so many bands like that for me :(

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Okay, is it just me or is Truckfighters' Mania way better than Gravity X?

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Belzebong. Stoner/doom. Tasty.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

HMorg posted:

I beg to differ, but, then again, I am Finnish. And always thinking of writing songs in Finnish but never actually doing it. Except for project of less than serious nature.
I was always curious about bands that write in English as a second language. Is it mostly a personal preference, or do bands also do it as a marketing thing to appeal to more people?

I'm guessing with regards to stoner/doom/sludge it'd be the former but I've always wondered.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

HMorg posted:

We just put out a couple of new songs, there are links in the OP.

Ninja edit: And a new album might come out in the fall/winter.

Thanks for the input, linguistics are always interesting. I agree that it barely matters when you can't distinguish what is actually being said/screamed/growled anyway. Let me know if you want anything else ECW-related plugged in the OP.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Welcome back :)

Same goes for you, if you want any new Bad Actor stuff to plug that you want in the OP.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

keratas posted:

On the way to see kyuss (lives) at the moment. So pumped. Will report back.
Don't worry, you're in good hands.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
All right... new goon bands have been added to the OP. Let me know if I've missed some bands or important links, won't you?

There's been some great suggestions in the past few pages - I love the new Bongripper single and doom-only Hate Ashbury, especially for how ridiculously cheap they are.

There's also a new Horseback full-length The Gorgon Tongue, which is a compilation of two lesser-known releases (Impale Golden Horn and Forbidden Planet) and is really great. The album art is also epic and sums up the feel of the album incredibly:

(click for massive)

I'd love to comment on all of the other bands mentioned - Woodrue, Red Fang etc, but really it all boils down to "this is really good music" so let's leave it there.

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 18, 2011

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

NuclearGuru posted:

Just found HD footage of what appears to be a full Bongripper set from January of this year. A camcorder mic trying to pickup drop F is a joke of course but still, it rules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-baYg87P7U
Nice. Just found this gem of a comment in a related video:

quote:

I don't understand why there are so many lovely bands out there. I mean, seriously.... name your band Bongripper, name your album Satan Worshipping Doom, play heavy as gently caress doom-riffs, and put titties and fire on your album cover. This isn't rocket science.
edit: Also if you google Satan Worshipping Doom, this thread comes up higher than the metal archives entry (for me at least).

edit2: I'm going to just listen to Bongripper all night now

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 20, 2011

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Not listened to the track yet but I'm surprised by the new LP tracklist, I don't think they've ever had a closing track shorter than 20 minutes. I figured it was a tradition or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

:stare:

Sleep need to do a European tour, for the love of all that is heavy.
Yeah really. It just feels so wrong that I haven't seen them.