Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Is this where I'd talk about the new Boris album? Because Jesus Christ, I'm listening to it for the first time now and it's melting my face off. It's less noisy than pretty much all their previous stuff that I've heard, but it's not any less incredible. I'm not even finished my first listen of it and I can already safely say that this is one of my favorite albums of the year. I just finished Angel and everything I've heard so far just straight up owns. Now I'm really upset that they aren't coming here on the tour for this album :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Having only recently got into Electric Wizard and having not yet had the chance to explore their entire discography through and through, I gotta say this owns. It sounds harsh as gently caress. I want to hear this in an appropriately dark movie (like Only Lovers Left Alive or something like that) or game trailer or something. That'd get me hyped as gently caress.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Juaguocio posted:

Witchcult Today had some good tracks, but I agree, this new tune is not very good. The riffs are completely uninteresting, and the production is pretty bad.
It sounds real droney to me, which I like, and the production sounds good enough to me :shobon: It's not like abrasively lo-fi but it's not overproduced either.

Juaguocio posted:

Their first three albums are way better than any of the releases from this current lineup, so you're in for a treat!
Sweet! I'll have to jump in and listen to them all one of these days. If they're even better than this track, chances are I'll love them.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh my goooooooooooood

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Those vocals in doom metal sound just beautiful.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Listening to the new Earth now. It's pretty great, but honestly, I think it'd be better with no vocals at all.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Finally getting around to listening to new Yob, which is substantially better than new Earth and I thought new Earth was great.

ElectricWizard posted:

Semi-relatedly; I'm passing through NOLA in a couple of weeks. Is there any good places (shops or pubs) for doom/sludge stuff there? Which ones are obligatory visits?
If anyone here is gonna have good doom/sludge stuff, it's going to be The Mushroom on Broadway uptown. It's a smoke/record shop. They stock all kinds of music. I haven't been there in a few years, but I'd imagine they would have some good finds. They sell band merch too, like shirts and posters and stuff.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 10, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Somehow I got on Inter Arma's mailing list because I've gotten e-mails from them a few times before, but I can't remember ever listening to them before :confused:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/archives/2015/03/06/no-tickets-to-bongripper-try-the-bands-bonkers-burger-instead

quote:

On Sunday metal-themed burger joint Kuma’s Corner announced its burger of the month for March, a tribute to Chicago doom four-piece Bongripper. My B Side feature on the band had gone to bed before I heard, so like any curious journalist who consumes food roughly three times a day would do, I made my way to Avondale to try the Bongripper.

A burger at Kuma’s is a little like a Thanksgiving meal, except heaped onto a bun—it’s a mound of meat and sides, and eating one at a certain time can knock you out cold for hours. The Bongripper is no exception. It's made with ten ounces of beef, topped with an Italian sausage split down the middle and laid out like a second hamburger patty—and adorning that are Bolognese sauce, smoked provolone cheese, basil, and fresh garlic. It’s massive and imposing, kind of like a Bongripper song.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just found out Sleep is coming here in early May :aaaaa::fh:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw Thou & Sleep tonight, and as expected, they both owned.

For some reason, though, I was under the impression that the crowd would just be a bunch of headbanging potheads. There were those (that's probably the most continuous weed smoke I've smelled at a show since I saw Snoop Dogg at a festival a couple years ago), but I was surprised at how large of a pit there was too. Like, at one point during Sleep, the entire crowd was shoving each other and people were crowdsurfing and it was wild.

Also I didn't really dig the bass outro. The bass intro was alright because it led into the set, but the outro didn't lead into an encore or anything. It went on for like 10 straight minutes, and like 5 minutes into it, the crew started breaking down the drums, so I don't know why it went on for another 5 minutes or so. It seemed kind of unnecessary.

That's my only real complaint, though. Other than that, the show ruled. Matt (the guitarist) looked like he was having a loving blast the entire time and that made it even more enjoyable for me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've been sleeping on this new Bell Witch for a while but now I feel like a dummy for doing that because god drat :stare:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Woooooo and there is another Yob tour w/Black Cobra.
I'm going to see Yob for a third time and this time I don't have to leave town.
WoooOO!

They're playing here in November :aaa:

Looks like I'll be seeing them for the first time!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Geddy Krueger posted:

They're playing in Shreveport the same night Yob is playing in New Orleans. :(
You know what must be done.

(The latter, because that's the one I'm going to :hfive: )

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Listening to Sunn O))) on headphones sounds like a good way to permanently deafen yourself.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Trees and Squids posted:

I'm the dumb idiot that didn't wear ear plugs to the Yob concert. gently caress. So good though.
So what you're saying is I should invest in some earplugs before next Friday?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I saw Swans without earplugs and I was standing right by the speaker :shepface:

In fact I pretty much don't ever wear earplugs to shows. But yeah, I should probably start. If I don't, I'll probably be deaf by my 30s.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ChickenArise posted:

Having an Isis patch would be amazing. It's a bummer that some people won't wear their merch anymore.
The name association only makes me want to wear the shirt of theirs I have even more. I got it at their show I went to in 2009. It's black with gold and it sparkles and somehow it has retained this distinct smell (a good smell) that it had when I first got it despite going through probably a hundred washes or more.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 12, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Daaaaaaaaaamn, Yob was loud. I even bought and wore earplugs (thank you guys for the suggestion, by the way), but it was still ridiculously loud. I don't know how I would've been able to handle another 22 decibels. But gently caress, they ruled. Played for like an hour and a half-ish and were heavy as poo poo the whole time. Also they raised their beers in silence for Paris at one point and most of the crowd did too, so that was really cool.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Henchman of Santa posted:

Cult of Luna just announced a collab with Julie Christmas out April 8 :getin:
I dig pretty much everything Cult of Luna have released, so hell yeah, that's exciting.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This owns :worship:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ChickenArise posted:

Sunn o))), Boris, Jucifer, and Swans are definitely some of the outright loudest (and all amazing) bands I've seen.
Swans and Yob here!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

gently caress, of course they aren't coming here :negative:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

butros posted:

Dragonaut tee represent

Saw this the other day and thought it was dope and went to buy one for myself, but then I saw this one and liked it better so I got it instead and it just came in:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This unironically owns. I could totally hear that psych influence. This stuff is solid as hell. I'll listen to their album over and over again.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Just saw Swans in Dublin. It was insanely good, they played for 2.5 hours and it was the loudest thing I've heard in my life (I had plugs)
Buttplugs? Man, that's a good idea. I forgot to plug my rear end when I saw them like 2 years ago. My rear end was ringing for hours after that show!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This new Elder is loving fantastic

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

nerve posted:

wow that new qotsa song is fuckin awful
:same:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ben Nerevarine posted:

pretty badass

Is that a Beksinski? Fuuuuuuuuuuck yes

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Detective Thompson posted:

No, but it is by another Pole and it feels a lot like Beksinski.
https://www.facebook.com/MalarstwoNowoczesneLewandowski/?fref=mentions
Hell yeah. That art style is so unique and dope as gently caress.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm listening to the new Bell Witch and I'm not even that far into it but the drums on this thing are loving impeccable :stwoon:

e: Actually, the mixing/recording quality on this entire thing is insane. The bass sounds fuller and thicker than on a lot of albums I've heard.

It's also pretty slow-moving so you get ample time to appreciate it.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Oct 22, 2017

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/Borisheavyrocks/status/927848094905061376

Seeing this on Friday with Thou opening :unsmigghh:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Seeing Boris live is like witnessing 3 people conjure the apocalypse right in front of you, & because they're the ones bringing it about, they're completely unfazed by it & they're welcoming you into hell. That was easily one of the loudest things I've ever heard in my life, & it almost seems pointless to have a life after that. That was 1,000% worth waiting 11 years to see.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Here's another thing I just remembered: throughout their entire set, pieces of something dark kept falling on my head and arms. I couldn't make out what it was, but I was on the side of the venue where nothing was above me except the ceiling, so all I can think is that Boris was playing so loud that the ceiling was breaking under pressure and parts of it were falling on me :allears:

That definitely added to the experience. It was like they were literally bringing the whole place down.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Endon was the first opener (before Thou) and they were loving wild. I don't know how their vocalist makes some of the noises he makes, but goddamn was it entertaining to watch.

There was one song where the whole intro was him making these high-pitched primate grunts. It was loving crazy.

He legitimately looked like he was in pain for their whole set too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRzObZD90o8

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Detective Thompson posted:

What is that briefcase thing the dude on the right is playing?
I think it's some kind of DIY guitar? I was wondering that myself when they were playing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

My ears are still hurting from Boris and I saw them 2 nights ago.

If you go see Boris, do not be a loving idiot like me. For the love of god, WEAR EARPLUGS!!!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Laserface posted:

You should wear earplugs to any gig, and even loud pubs or clubs.

I have the start of tinnitus and I wish I wore my earplugs more :(

and you should probably use orange foam ones for known loud bands like Sunn and Boris. ER-20s are good but they arent great for super loud gigs as they only drop it down 20dB
I wore earplugs for Yob like 2 years ago and they definitely helped because Yob was still loud over the earplugs, so I can only imagine how they would have been without them.

I should really wear them more. I think the loudest show I'd ever been to before this was Swans, but Boris topped them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Snowy posted:

So what's a step up from etymotics? I had a really good pair but my dog ate them and they were so old I can't remember the name. Etymotics are great but not always enough.
That probably wasn't very good for your dog :ohdear: