Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

I’d quite like Thou to put out a regular Thou record again soon. Had Magus on earlier and it rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

I think just not a covers record or a collaboration.
They just have such a crushing, nasty sound that no one else matches.

I keep going back to that Tar Pond LP recently - Martin Ain from Celtic Frost and other dudes doing very crushing doom. Think it’s only available on streaming services and vinyl.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

That Melvins 1983 album doesn’t sound great so far. I just wish they would get back together with the Big Business guys again, but I don’t hold out much hope. The Bride Screamed Murder was their last one that I loved and that was 10 years ago now.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

New Eyehategod sounds like Eyehategod.

What I've heard so far is great, my copy arrives tomorrow so I am suitably excited! They've never missed for me, the last album was great too.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Chola posted:

Shameless plug time: Some months ago, I got together with some friends to play a couple of Melvins songs. The kicker: the band would have 2 drummers and 2 bassists. Here's what we sharted out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAgyNF2Qtlw

Cool, can't go wrong with Night Goat and I wish the Buzz and Dale would get back together with Jared and Coady because that era of the Melvins was the best

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Actually just old Thou. But worth checking out if you never listened to the Ragana split, because Death to the King is one of their best songs ever.

Oh it really is. Really loving this compilation, absolutely devastating riffs, I thought the ERR colab was quite bland and this is a completely different beast.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

hatelull posted:

Not really sure if these guys even apply to this thread anymore, but new Mastodon single/video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx1L2XW1N0c

Listening now, and they are definitely speeding full speed in the direction the last two albums have taken. Album art for the new record on Spotify is nice though, so at least they have that going for them.

I get it. Bands likes to evolve. They can't all be Leviathan or Blood Mountain. They still bring widdly wah solos.

Without listening, it would be killer if they went back to Remission. That album was absolutely mind-blowing at the time, I remember reading on the forum about how incredible the drumming was but it didn't prepare me for Crusher Destroyer. Still one of my all time favourite songs. I was gutted to miss that tour and when they came back to the UK, it was for the Leviathan tour, which was rad, but not quite the same.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

I think My Bloody Valentine made my ears ring for weeks, other than that Corrupted were obscenely loud

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

The Melvins acoustic album is really good. Lots of very enjoyable Dale Crover drumming and the track selection is ridiculously broad.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Asva made at least 2 superb records, Futurists against the ocean and what you don't know is frontier. Fantastic live, I know they did a third record that I own but can't remember what it sounds like.

Growing's first few albums are great - not sure if they are metal but Soul of the Rainbow is a must listen.

There's Corrupted of course.

Scattered Purgatory are a really good as well, I only really know the last thing they put out but it's great.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

The euro version of boris / bongzilla split sold out pretty quick. Reminds me of the mid 2000s when everything Boris sold out immediately.

Saw them in 07 and they owned

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Hulk Krogan posted:

Saw Yob last night and the setlist was unreal. Might have the order messed up in the middle a bit but:

Prepare the Ground
Atma
Unmasking the Specter
Breathing from the Shallows
Marrow
Quantum Mystic (encore)

Really really good poo poo.

The opener, Sanhedrin, was rad as hell too. Their last album, The Poisoner, is well worth a spin.

I've never seen Yob but that setlist rules, I've got great memories of putting on Quantum Mystic and everyone in the room being blown away.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

im_sorry posted:

IT'S GOOD GET IT!!!!

It's extremely good and much better than I expected

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Melvins played tonight at a smaller venue very close to where I live, but because of no promotion locally about the show, I was not aware of said show until Thursday night. Therefore I couldn't schedule the night off from work ahead of time. I definitely would have gone to the show if I knew about it earlier. Bands this awesome playing in the area I live in is so rare.

Set list from the show per setlist.fm

Oven
Lovely Butterfly
It's Shoved
Anaconda
Lizzy
Charlie (Redd Kross cover)
Euthanasia
Mr. Dog
Never Say You're Sorry
Evil New War God
Hooch
Honey Bucket
The Bit
With Teeth
Ballad of Dwight Fry (Alice Cooper cover)

loving pisses me off that this wasn't promoted at all. I even get emails from this venue about upcoming shows, but I never got anything about this one. Such bullshit.

That's a great set list as well.

I haven't seen the Melvins live since the Big Business days and would love to see them again.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

my friend you need to listen to some GRIEF

Excellent advice.

I'd also add Burning Witch.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

emdash posted:

New Boris is out https://boris.bandcamp.com/album/heavy-rocks-2022

excited for the US tour

Boris being legitimately awesome again is very exciting

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If you ever get a chance to see them play a concert, go for it. They’re unreal live.

I saw them in 2007 and it loving ruled, tiny venue as well.

I miss their vinyl antics, remember Vein being two separate albums but people had no idea which they were getting?

Also, where can I get a copy of Heavy Rocks 2002? It's not on streaming or their Band camp. That's my favourite of theirs by a mile.

Edit - maybe Amplifier Worship or Absolutego actually

McFlurry Fan #1 fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 14, 2022

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

It was always available and I never bought it because I was convinced vinyl would be available. drat

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He even says in the statement that he has been trying to stop this getting out for years - this isn't like drug addiction or whatever where admitting you have a problem is the first step.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

I think I've listened to High on Fire continuously for about a week now. The kids are learning to love riffs and I'm loving it more than ever.

Still think Blessed Black Wings is the best album.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Ooh yes

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Wow, it's been 10 years since the last album.

Conference of the birds still in regular rotation as well.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Good soup! posted:

New Elder is incredibly good, I'm digging the hell out of Coalescence

:yeah: really enjoying this so far

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

I think Clutch and Fu Manchu are in the same tier and whatever tier that is it's beneath Sleep and Bongzilla

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Booked tickets for the Boris UK tour, unreasonably excited as I last saw them in 2007, and this will be the first gig I've been to post children.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Can anyone recommend any new / recent good sludge? I keep going back to Grief / EHG / Noothgruah but something new would be awesome

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Good calls, that last Come to Grief was great.
Haven't spun Thou for a while as well, I'm not big on their covers or collabs but going back to Tyrant and Magus gives me a lot to get stuck into.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Spotify seems to be lacking in a lot of my favourite sludge - no erode the person or failing early, failing often by Noothgrush, no Fleshpress at all, no Torso or Miserably ever after by Grief.

I rediscovered Graves at Sea though and there is a new Acid King album which is good

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

It's really good as well

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Philthy posted:

I stopped in the local shop to pick up Majesties and I saw this in the new releases and flipped the gently caress out. For some reason I thought they broke up long ago. Busse Woods is one of my favorite albums. This new one is loving rad and I love it.

I only realised because of a bandcamp notification that I assumed was a live album / rerelease, but chanced a look and was pleasantly surprised.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Just less than 3 here, I'm excited and ready to buy some expensive merch

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Hex is incredible

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Spirit Possession are great though, I would go just to see them

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Boris were incredible last night, didn't realise Atsuo was doing the front man thing. Stood at the front watching Takeshi.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

New Khanate?

immediate purchase

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Never heard of those dudes but will check them out.

Love a hard fought vinyl find as well. I spent a long time hunting down various Bovine records releases that I couldnt even find MP3 rips of, and then found the Thug / Greenmachine split in a charity shop

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Yeah they did a lot of flithy powerviolence and sludge which is still very much my thing - going to have a dig through my 7"s later to see what I got.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Boris + Melvin's co headlining tour, playing Heavy Rocks 2002 and Bullhead in their entirety.

That's like two of the best albums ever

Hopefully this means there is a chance of a new version of Heavy Rocks 2002

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Vinyl has already sold out of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

emdash posted:

The black Heavy Rocks vinyl is still up on Third Man. Sucks to miss the orange version, but I’ve wished for this reissue for such a long time

Cannot wait for that DC show, goddamn

Black Vinyl ordered, and for cheaper than the cheapest cd version I could find before this reissue.

Heavy Friends is on Spotify and it is still amazing, breaking up my heavy rotation of Melvins