Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It's only a mild infection...
New thread, whoop! I've been away a few days, so this is a nice surprise.

I'll just pimp my favorite sludge band that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

The Deep Blue (http://www.myspace.com/thedeepbluewizard)

They only have two albums, and one is available on vinyl only and it's merely "good". The one you should all get is Antarctic Abyss. Two tracks, approximately 30 minutes of music, yet it's some of the most bone-crushing, down-tuned, melt-your-loving-face-off riffs ever recorded. The lyrics, which come in a near chant or drone, evoke Lovecraftian themes of hidden dark entities in the cold, crushing deep. It's pretty much straight-up Sleep worship, but this is not a bad thing imo. The final few minutes of the second track will destroy your brain!

The only fault with this band is that they aren't putting out a new album every year. Track it down, listen ye goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

Idioteque Dance posted:

Thanks for the reminder, I've not listened to them in ages. It is really good.

Meanwhile, I just learned to play the oft-linked Dopefight - Saviour on guitar and while pretty simple, it is really really fun to play. Anybody have any other good songs they've been learning on guitar? I need to stop jamming so much and start building a repertoire, but I'd rather it be stoner/sludge/doom than more popular rock songs.

I swear, all the masturbatory, Dragon Force-esque solos in the world don't drive me to play guitar, but listening to some sludgey, down-tuned, face-melting riffs do indeed!

I am ignorant of guitar specifics, but I'd love to learn to play something like Dragonaut or the epic loving opening riff of Return Trip off Come My Fanatics...

I would have a constant loving boner being able to play that, not to mention a giant joint never leaving my lips...

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

Wait, wait, LENTO has a new album out?! I loved their last one, definitely will snag the new.

Edit: You can download the entire album for free from their label's site: http://denovali.com/lento/

Also, check out this searing-hot vinyl set, I'm ordering it if there's still any available: http://denovali.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=4599

Diseased Yak fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 23, 2011

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

Thought you bearded folks might like to see my latest vinyl acquisitions:

Ufomammut - Eve (limited import red vinyl)

Electric Wizard - Black Masses (limited import tri-color vinyl)

Kudos to EW for once again pumping their album covers full of nudity.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It's definitely a beautiful album. I got mine from allthatisheavy.com but I see now it doesn't even show up on their site. I've learned the hard way to order limited edition vinyl as soon as I see the email come through.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

gently caress me, all these awesome tours and I have to live in the rear end-crack of America that bands avoid (rightly so) like the plague. Le sigh.

Two new (to me) albums I've spun up this morning, worthy of mention:

Weedeater - Jason... the Dragon
Standard awesome Weedeater riffs. The album kinda goes off into different genres on a couple of tracks, but I don't mind. Loves me some Weedeater; album does not disappoint necessarily, just wish there was more to it.

Brotherhood of Sleep - Dark As Light
Instrumental album with four tracks, the shortest of which is over 11.5 minutes. Crushing riffs and amazing tone. I love what they've achieved here. Lots of psychedelic action as well, which will go on for a while, then suddenly you get dragged back down into the depths to be pummeled by titanic sludge. Reminds me of Mammatus awesome The Coast Explodes, only way loving heavier. Highly recommended.

EDIT: After listening through it twice, I'm ready to pronounce the Brotherhood of Sleep album my favorite album so far this year. Holy gently caress it's awesome!

Diseased Yak fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 25, 2011

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

Faffel posted:

I really can't overstate how good Ball of Molten Lead is. This song blows me away each and every time. It's great.

Yes, this track is loving amazing. I tell ya though, if you haven't listened to it already, get YOB's The Great Cessation and listen to the 5th and final track (also called "The Great Cessation") on the album. It's like all of YOB's previous efforts culminating in one monster 20+ minute track of unrelenting badassery. I shudder to think what it would sound like live. My pants would probably stand-up on their own afterwards...

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

Idioteque Dance posted:

Here is a band called Wizard Smoke. They have their new LP free for download right there. I haven't even heard it yet, but, you know... free music.

Not my cup of tea. If the vocals weren't there, I'd like it ;)

Thanks for the hookup, though.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

gently caress me, both Kamni and Brainoil loving rock! Thanks to those who posted.

Came here to sing the praises of Olde Growth but I see I have been beaten to the ye olde punch.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is it cool if I post some really old Sleep bootlegs?
These are from like twenty years go.

I can't answer your question because I don't know the rules pertaining to old rear end bootlegs, but I recently got these, and gently caress me if they aren't awesome. In particular, I love the Live at the Limelight NYC '94 version of "Dopesmoker". Starts off with him going "This is a new one, it's not on our album, called "Dopesmoker"" then CRUSHING RIFFFFFFFFFFF.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

NuclearGuru posted:

Ufomammut/YOB/Bongripper tour, laying waste to everything in their path.

gently caress me, that would be a world-ender. We'd all be dragged down into the crushing abyss, where unnameable horrors from beyond time would shred our souls and melt our faces.

Speaking of melting faces, I stumbled upon a new (to me) band that you all should check out: Fister They appear to have only one full album, entitled Bronsonic, which appears to be all about how awesome Charles Bronson is, or something. Anyway, fuzzy, sludgey riffs abound, check 'em out.

Edit: That Olde Growth album is loving amazing.

Diseased Yak fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 13, 2011

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

Happy 4/20, my bong-hittin', bearded friends!

BURY ME IN SMOOOOOOOOKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGm3ByUUA0U

Never forget seeing them open for Tool back in the day in Little Rock, this song comes on and the entire arena gets loving buried indeed. Dude next to me was asking over and over if I had glaucoma. Crazy show.

Incidentally, the new Gates of Slumber has hit yon Interwebben, and it's face-meltingly awesome.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It may have been hyped here already, but it bears repeating: Monkeypriest's The Psalm is abso-fuckin-lutely amazing! Oh holy gently caress at the thick-as-gently caress sludge that flows like a river of black evil out of this album. It's nonstop riff worship from start to finish. The second track, "The Word of the Priest" has one of the most face-meltingly brilliant riffs I've ever heard.

Set down your bongs, my brothers, and give this a listen, post-haste.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

So, like, what demon do you have to appease to achieve the mind-blowingly low riff that Moss achieves on the opening track of Tombs of the Blind Drugged? It's gotta be close to below human hearing.

In other news, The Sword are swinging through Little Rock again on June 7th. My third time seeing them live, can't wait!

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

Came here to mention Major Kong but see they've already been pimped. Riff-tastic instrumental doomy sludge. Plus, any band who has a track named "Witches On My Land" instantly warrants a listen. Damned witches, get off mah land!!

amplifier worship posted:

loving seriously. Check out Bong if you haven't (I'm sure you probably have, you're a regular here). I can't find the song on YouTube, but "Black Bong of the Wizards" loving rules. Also, Toronto's short-lived project ORN has two recorded tracks, "Teeth" and "Knowing", both of which will probably bring you to your knees in the best way.

Yep, loves me some Bong. I've not heard of ORN, will track 'em down. Thanks for the tip, sir!

Diseased Yak fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 3, 2011

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

West posted:

Unfortunately, Bad Actor called it quits after our show with Brutal Truth in December.

However, a new band has formed but has yet to be named. In the mean time I've started Orlandooom.com and been promoting some exciting shows in Orlando. Complete with custom flyer designs by Keith Carlson:

Sorry to hear about the demise of Bad Actor, brother.

New nameless band, eh? Let's think up some names:

Riff Titan
Slumbering oval office
Subterranean Weed
Bearded Hulk
The Riffage Trench
Slothful Bong

and my personal fav: High Bearded Fucks

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

Saint Clavicus posted:

hey im a goon in a sludge band, add me to the doomgoon list plzzz

CONSULAR- http://consular.bandcamp.com & http://www.last.fm/music/Consular

Sounds pretty great dude. Holy Hell at the album cover! I'll just forget about sleeping tonight...

Has Procession been mentioned in these environs? I've had their album Destroyers of the Faith for a while now, but just got around to firing it up this morning on my office rig. Sound pretty great, not the deep riffage that normally raises my mast, but some awesome licks nonetheless. Clean vocals, too, which is a rarity. I give them a tentative thumb's up.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

First of all, I hope all of you getting to see YOB and Bongripper on tour die in a fire of cancer!! Ok, not really, but drat am I jealous!

In other news, latest vinyl acquisitions:

Lento's new one on clear vinyl speckled with what I presume is demon jizz.

Boris' Absolutego on red.

Acid King's Busse Woods on evil green psychadelic vinyl. Bonus shot of Come My Fanatics.... import vinyl I finally got in. Return Trip, ahoy!

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

Congrats HMorg! I've listened to mine like 10 times over now.

In other news... the new Kamni is loving AMAZING. The production values are through the roof, and they've managed to amaze me once again. They combine bits of psychedelic-sounding, spacey stuff with back-wrenching riffs. The 2nd track in particular has a riff tone that some bearded brother in this thread must elaborate on, like how they achieved it. Incredible stuff. The 3rd track starts with a space-trip that leads to a crushing riff-filled end.

The final of 4 tracks (called A.T.O.M., the same title as the album itself) is a 15+ minute mystical haze designed to only sound fantastic after numerous rips off the biggest bong you have. I would kill 1000 hobos in bloody combat to see these guys live. They remind me of Mammatus crossed with early Electric Wiz combined with enough weed to nuke a planet.

Simply stunning, get it post haste.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

I'm a bit late to the beardgasm, I know, but holy gently caress does the new YOB kick all manner of rear end. I can't wait to buy the vinyl.

I'm starting to think YOB might very well be my favorite band. They simply can do no wrong.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

Idioteque Dance posted:

More great Roadburn news, Bongripper are playing two sets, one of them being Satan Worshipping Doom in full.

No words.

This makes me want to swallow my tongue with jealousy!!

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

drat I love this. Reminds me very much of Mammatus.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

Going to see Corrosion of Conformity, Torche, and Valient Thorr this coming Saturday night! I'm excited, should be a good show.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

I can scarcely believe my good fortune. Check out the show that's happening where in live in September:

Will be my first time seeing any of these bands (except for Rwake, who are local dudes) live. I'm most excited for YOB as I worship them like they deserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

Diseased Yak posted:

I can scarcely believe my good fortune. Check out the show that's happening where in live in September:

Will be my first time seeing any of these bands (except for Rwake, who are local dudes) live. I'm most excited for YOB as I worship them like they deserve.

Quoting myself so I can do a show report on this.

First off, the show started promptly at 8:30pm and YOB, the last band, finished at roughly 1am-ish.

Secondly, my ears are still ringing.

HOLY gently caress this show was amazing. Norska started off (a new band, featuring YOB's bassist and a singer with the most epic gently caress-you beard I've seen), they used most of YOB's speaker system, and it was the loudest loving thing ever. My whole body was vibrating, my chest was pressurized. If you haven't already GO BUY NORSKA's DEBUT ALBUM. I picked up a special colored vinyl of it at the concert, along with their kick rear end t-shirt.

Next up was Rwake, Little Rock's local doom-ish band. They were solid as usual, but I would say just under what Norska pulled off before them.

After that we had Weedeater, who were solid as gently caress. The lead singer dude, known for vomiting on stage (he did not disappoint in this), was like a manic preacher, jumping around, very animated, very awesome. I've loved Weedeater for years and it was awesome hearing such tracks as "God Luck, Good Speed".

Weedeater was followed by the veterans, Saint Vitus. They tore it UP! Very loving loud, very loving amazing. They engaged the crowd pretty well. The highlight was probably their drummer, who was determined to put someone's eye out by constantly throwing his drumsticks into the crowd at high velocity.

Finally, my dream came true, I finally got to see YOB live, who took the stage and proceeded to murder everyone's eardrums with some sonic riffs that were felt more than heard. The floors, the metal railings on stairs, everything, was vibrating. YOB were solid as gently caress, playing quite a few of their greatest songs, including The Great Cessation. All of the members are consumate musicians, but I was particularly impressed with singer/guitarist Mike Scheidt, who was very animated and constantly leaning back into the riffs he was throwing out.

Overall, it was simply amazing, and I'm sad for the rest of you that this line-up was one night only. Despite this, GO SEE YOB/NORSKA as soon as you can!