Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Last event of the year and I had only one clean run out of 6. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M93eQ60fTgg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ontario (Canada) goons: Any word on Snowkhana this year?

Thanks Ziploc.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 19, 2015

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Talked to my inside guy.

Supposed to happen end of Feb maybe first weekend of March.
Reg will probably open 3 weeks in advanced.
Registration is on spda-online.ca
They'll post reg news on the SPDA facebook, and Toronto Subaru Club and the SPDA website.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Took 2nd over all pax and 6th raw this weekend at our first points event. My second event in this car and first with good tires on this car. Also first event to not bust a lower control arm on the M3. But holy gently caress have I never driven something so fast in autocross. I haven't had an adrenalin rush auto crossing in like 2 years.
http://youtu.be/kRe5tnQbyzE

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sadi posted:

Took 2nd over all pax and 6th raw this weekend at our first points event. My second event in this car and first with good tires on this car. Also first event to not bust a lower control arm on the M3. But holy gently caress have I never driven something so fast in autocross. I haven't had an adrenalin rush auto crossing in like 2 years.
http://youtu.be/kRe5tnQbyzE

Bonus - BMW's sound awesome!

Third autocross in the ST this weekend. This wrong-wheel-drive thing is taking some adjustment, and I'm not doing particularly well at it. Pretty fun car and a nice daily driver though.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Human Grand Prix posted:

Ontario (Canada) goons: Any word on Snowkhana this year?

Thanks Ziploc.

http://www.toronto-subaru-club.com/forums/meets-and-events/193704-snokhana-2015-a.html

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Anyone have any experience with the goodyear eagle RS autocross compound? Old tire I know, but someone local is selling a sticker set in my size for a half decent price - ie almost 50% what it would cost me to get A7s. This season will just be a fuckaround for me so I'm looking for cheaper options. Right now I switch between V710s and NT01s depending on how much I care about the event.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Crustashio posted:

Anyone have any experience with the goodyear eagle RS autocross compound? Old tire I know, but someone local is selling a sticker set in my size for a half decent price - ie almost 50% what it would cost me to get A7s. This season will just be a fuckaround for me so I'm looking for cheaper options. Right now I switch between V710s and NT01s depending on how much I care about the event.

If they are very old (ask for the date code) then they could be worse than current street tires. Sticky tires don't age well.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
They're 2013s. I browsed old nationals results, a few class wins. I'm gonna get em, can never have enough tires.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Speaking of nationals results - anyone know what wheels/tires the guys who trophied in Focus ST's were running?

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

The Locator posted:

Speaking of nationals results - anyone know what wheels/tires the guys who trophied in Focus ST's were running?

http://www.gotcone.com/photos/2014-scca-tirerack-solo-national-championships/gs/img_5366/

This guy won, looks like Hankook and RPF1

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
The official results almost always have the tire brand.

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/results/2014%20Tire%20Rack%20Solo%20Nationals%20Final1.pdf

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I should have been more clear, sorry. What I'm interested in finding out is what size they were running - i.e. did they drop to 17" wheels and still run 235 width? 245, 255? I am thinking I should get a 2nd set of wheels and tires down the road for autocross, but if I'm going to do that I'd like to get the best size combination on the first try, but nobody from my area seems to know any of the top running Focus drivers so I'm going to have to work a bit to find one or two of them and make contact.

Also 17" wheels opens up a lot more tire selection for less money!

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
I went karting with STRs winner Nick a few weeks ago, I lost to him in raw time but had him in PAX :colbert:

The Locator posted:

I should have been more clear, sorry. What I'm interested in finding out is what size they were running - i.e. did they drop to 17" wheels and still run 235 width? 245, 255? I am thinking I should get a 2nd set of wheels and tires down the road for autocross, but if I'm going to do that I'd like to get the best size combination on the first try, but nobody from my area seems to know any of the top running Focus drivers so I'm going to have to work a bit to find one or two of them and make contact.

Also 17" wheels opens up a lot more tire selection for less money!

http://www.focusst.org/forum/cars-sale/34884-fs-wi-2014-focus-st-g-street-build.html

I dont think you're allowed to change tire width in stock classes, so it would be 235s on a 17x8 tire.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 21, 2015

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Muffinpox posted:

I dont think you're allowed to change tire width in stock classes, so it would be 235s on a 17x8 tire.

You can run any size tire you want in stock/street, so long as it fits in the wheel well (can't roll the fender or trim the finder liner) and fits on a legally allowed wheel. It used to be very common in the old stock classes to fit the widest Hoosier tire you could. RX-8s come with a 225, and stock class folks used to fit 285 A6s on 18x8 wheels. Wheel width can't be changed unless you convert to an option package with wider/narrow wheels.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I like to downsize because it saves on consumables. 17" wheels are cheaper and 17" tires are cheaper. In the case of RS3s, 235/45/17 is 142/ea whereas 235/40/18 is 182/ea.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Muffinpox posted:

http://www.focusst.org/forum/cars-sale/34884-fs-wi-2014-focus-st-g-street-build.html

Thanks for this, I'll try to contact him!

And as has been said, you can run whatever tire size you can stuff on the rim, as long as the rim is stock width and offset +/- .25" or something, and +/- 1" in diameter. So I can use 17 x 8, 18 x 8, or 19 x 8 wheels, and use whatever tires I can fit on them.

Since other people have already done the expensive research to figure out what the best size of tires is, I'd like to use that knowledge as I can't really afford to do it myself, and I'm also not a good enough driver to really figure it out even if I could afford it.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Brigdh posted:

You can run any size tire you want in stock/street, so long as it fits in the wheel well (can't roll the fender or trim the finder liner) and fits on a legally allowed wheel. It used to be very common in the old stock classes to fit the widest Hoosier tire you could. RX-8s come with a 225, and stock class folks used to fit 285 A6s on 18x8 wheels. Wheel width can't be changed unless you convert to an option package with wider/narrow wheels.

Ahh right, I haven't had to think about wheel/tire classing since exploding the S2000 at the beginning of last season :(

Crustashio posted:

I like to downsize because it saves on consumables. 17" wheels are cheaper and 17" tires are cheaper. In the case of RS3s, 235/45/17 is 142/ea whereas 235/40/18 is 182/ea.

17" also has great availability and tire selection thanks to the ST classes. 15" is the loving bees knees though, Z2 Star Specs mounted on Kosei K1s for <1k per set :swoon:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Who's pumped for more cone dodging?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX-hAJV3iNM

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Ziploc posted:

Who's pumped for more cone dodging?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX-hAJV3iNM

Oh man that was so incredibly well done. Cannot wait to kick off the tour in Dixie.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Speedway is getting better each year with those videos. Saw at least 7 cars from my area, probably missed more with how fast they were flashing through them at some points (and really, a Miata is a Miata to my eye).

In national news - Peter's sold the Z car, and is now building an SSM Corvette. That should be fairly interesting to watch in 2016 (he'll be co-driving something during the build phase). I'm beginning to think that his goal is to have a jacket for every class, but I think he'll run out of years before the SCCA runs out of classes.

I'm about to break down and buy a second set of wheels/tires for the ST after taking a 2 year break from autocross and selling the M3.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
That was a good video but there was a serious lack of F mods. I think 2 may have flashed on the screen but they could have been C mods.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

:awesome:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I'm pretty sure that was the car that had two wheels up in the air run after run past my marshal station. It was a perfectly placed bump.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

E36 M3? More pics? Because :dong:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I just capped that from the video so I have no more pics, but yes that is a BSP m3.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Went to a BMW CCA event. Really short runs and stop boxes. I never have done a stop box before. Can't say I'm a fan.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GVOdXUzAYYI

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PiKr_W89i0Y

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Sadi posted:

Went to a BMW CCA event. Really short runs and stop boxes. I never have done a stop box before. Can't say I'm a fan.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GVOdXUzAYYI

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PiKr_W89i0Y

Jesus, did your tires even heat up? :stare:

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Not really. It was also a high of 40 so my RS3s were not happy at all.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
New RS3s (Version2) or ZII Starspecs on a very light car (Mazda 2) in potentially high temps (100F+ in summer)? Hankooks are ~$10 less per tire, not a huge deal.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

nm posted:

New RS3s (Version2) or ZII Starspecs on a very light car (Mazda 2) in potentially high temps (100F+ in summer)? Hankooks are ~$10 less per tire, not a huge deal.

RS3's are quite popular with the fast drivers here in Phoenix. That is the entirety of my input on the new ones. I used the original RS-3's on the M3 in Phoenix and never had any problems with them getting too hot, and I was too lazy to spray them. I rarely had co-drivers though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Locator posted:

RS3's are quite popular with the fast drivers here in Phoenix. That is the entirety of my input on the new ones. I used the original RS-3's on the M3 in Phoenix and never had any problems with them getting too hot, and I was too lazy to spray them. I rarely had co-drivers though.

How do they do with getting heat in them? The courses where I'm moving are kind of short and my car is light.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

nm posted:

How do they do with getting heat in them? The courses where I'm moving are kind of short and my car is light.

Honestly I was never very good at 'feeling' stuff like that. Other drivers said they took a run or two. Our courses back then tended to be fairly short - in the 35 second range.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

nm posted:

I've only used the v1's, and they tended to communicate very well even while running hot and did not grease until really close to their breaking point. They handle like a pig while cold, but I hear the v2s are a lot better before full warm-up.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'd go with Z2s just because you can get them (as in they're in stock) and because putting 225s on a 6" wheel is kinda ridiculous. That said, I did do an autocross in the 2 on R-S3s with 15x7s.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Phone posted:

I'd go with Z2s just because you can get them (as in they're in stock) and because putting 225s on a 6" wheel is kinda ridiculous. That said, I did do an autocross in the 2 on R-S3s with 15x7s.

They're both in 195/50/15. The ship date on the RS3 is 3/23, but I don't plan on buying before that anyhow.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
I had RS3 v1s on my miata, then Dunlop ZIIs, and now RS3 v2s on my m3. So far my favorite is the RS3.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Sadi posted:

I had RS3 v1s on my miata, then Dunlop ZIIs, and now RS3 v2s on my m3. So far my favorite is the RS3.

I had ZII's, BFG Rivals, and then RS3 V2's on the miata. Favourite so far is the RS3's, but the ZII's and Rivals were both 205/50/15 on stock wheels vs 225/45/15 on 15x9's so it's probably not really a fair comparison.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I'm also pretty shocked how little I am saving with a car with 15in wheels. Only $20 more for 225/45/17s v. 195/50/15s. Autocross tires ain't cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

nm posted:

I'm also pretty shocked how little I am saving with a car with 15in wheels. Only $20 more for 225/45/17s v. 195/50/15s. Autocross tires ain't cheap.

Its pretty nuts. You can't even get 14s anymore and at 15s I'm pretty much on the limit of no power steering being acceptable.

May as well start asking as well, whats the go to small FWD 15 inch tire? In canada so we don't see alot of extreme heat.

• Locked thread