Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

kimbo305 posted:

I encourage participation in motorsports, but just watching an autocross is not something I'd consider worth someone's time.

I disagree actually. Depending on the venue it is very spectator friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

superdylan posted:

I used to autocross with a club in Tucson, and the car safety inspections consisted of one guy asking a few questions:

Does it go when you press to go pedal?
Does it stop when you press the stop pedal?
Do you have a helmet?
Ok, you're good to go.

Houston SCCA tech inspection involved checking that the throttle cable operated smoothly, brakes weren't mushy (I think?), tugging on your battery to make sure it was well strapped down, looking for any heavy/bad leaks, missing lug nuts, bad wheel bearings, and making sure you removed all loose items from your car. Then of course, a helmet of some sort.

I knew several people who were sent away because of missing lug nuts.

ToreA55
Aug 2, 2010

Ziploc posted:

I wouldn't want to sit around and watch all day, but watching a few runs can be pretty entertaining. The ones I went to, there was a guy with a '96-ish Caprice that was a really great driver, and watching that thing roll around corners was cool.

On safety, the inspections I participated in involved them looking under the car for leaks, inside the car for anything loose (included trunk, but not gloveboxes/consoles), checking that the brake pedal had some pressure, and the throttle would return. They had loaner helmets, so they never checked for that, although I would recommend you bring your own or borrow from someone you know, since loners can get pretty rank. I believe they will also check your battery, but mine is in a box in the trunk, so that just fell in with the interior check.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

MetaJew posted:

Houston SCCA tech inspection involved checking that the throttle cable operated smoothly, brakes weren't mushy (I think?), tugging on your battery to make sure it was well strapped down, looking for any heavy/bad leaks, missing lug nuts, bad wheel bearings, and making sure you removed all loose items from your car. Then of course, a helmet of some sort.

I knew several people who were sent away because of missing lug nuts.

This is pretty much what I see in El Paso.

I can regularly expect them to check throttle cable, check for leaks, check that wheels are properly secured, check battery, and check for stuff in the cabin or trunk. Before I was a regular, it was common for them to check for mushy brakes and do a more thorough engine bay check to see if anyone had crazy mods they weren't announcing.

Also, I'm so glad that we pay $35 per event, it takes less than ten minutes to drive from my garage to the events, and that a "fast" course still takes a Z06 a full 59-60+ seconds to complete, and slower courses take a Z06 65+ seconds and we typically get 5-6 runs.

The one event I looked at in Indy but skipped was $50 for 5 runs on a 40 second course...

edit: today I saw 300ZX lose control and go over a curb right before the finish. I think his front bumper was about 5 feet high before it crashed back down. It's the first actual collision with anything that I've seen in 3 years though.

edit2: Made it to the second event in El Paso today, and it felt so good to be back autocrossing. I had to miss the first one due to my job :(

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 21, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Ziploc posted:

I think most clubs would be willing to let people spectate for free. That's good.
Some elevation over the run area would be good, too, to better see the action.

That said, unless there's some really cool cars out there, watching car nerds whip their cars around a sea of cones can get old over the course of a day.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

kimbo305 posted:

I think most clubs would be willing to let people spectate for free. That's good.
Some elevation over the run area would be good, too, to better see the action.

That said, unless there's some really cool cars out there, watching car nerds whip their cars around a sea of cones can get old over the course of a day.

This. It's free to watch at my club, but there's not really a great place to spectate from, and it can get old if you aren't there supporting a friend/family or you aren't watching eagerly because you are competing against those cars.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I've been autocrossing for 4 years now and I just got back from the most ridiculous one in a long while. 158 people and a 45-55 second overlap.

Long day is longgggggggggggggggggg

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

MetaJew posted:

Right, the only other "close" AutoX is TAMSCC in College Station. Their practice events are pretty cheap and you get a lot more runs, but again you're driving a good ways, just to dodge cones.

While College Station is technically closer it actually takes more time to get there due to the lower average speed on the roads between there and Austin. Also CS is an aven bigger shithole than SA, so :v:

Not to mention if I'm going to go to CS I'd rather save some cash and rent a Miata at TWS. Seems like a better use of time and money overall.

MetaJew posted:

So until the F1 track opens up and someone runs autox's in the parking lot or track days there's probably nothing "close" by. (The Driveway can eat a dick.)

I've only looked at The Driveway very briefly and as I recall it was stupidly expensive. I've been to Iron Rock Raceway once as well (not the same thing I know but karts are fun). It was fairly expensive for what you got and a lot of people that seemed to take karting waaaay too seriously.

MetaJew posted:

This parking lot looks like you could run an event in it, but you have those pesky concrete parking blocks running down the center and dividing it into three smaller areas. And I'm not sure how open Austin ISD would be to renting it out, and all that nonsense.
I'm going to guess with the liabilities of running cars at speed in a school parking lot there's no way in hell. Couldn't hurt to ask I guess.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

kimbo305 posted:

I think most clubs would be willing to let people spectate for free.

Not only that, but spectators here can sign the waiver and ride in cars or free.

A lot of our venues are parking lots lined with grass where photographers (and parents from nearby softball games) hangout. I see people (and police!) park along our section of the venue and watch.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

I'm going to guess with the liabilities of running cars at speed in a school parking lot there's no way in hell. Couldn't hurt to ask I guess.

I think the SCCA car clubs are self insured to cover accidents in those lots, and remove liability from the facility owner, but I don't know this for certain. I would guess that they probably wouldn't mind some additional revenue from renting out the lot, perhaps. But I'm not in any position to start this sort of thing up. Know any venture capitalists?

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

I've only looked at The Driveway very briefly and as I recall it was stupidly expensive. I've been to Iron Rock Raceway once as well (not the same thing I know but karts are fun). It was fairly expensive for what you got and a lot of people that seemed to take karting waaaay too seriously.

The Driveway is stupid expensive. In addition, if you want to drive the entire course you have to take the owner's licensing class or some nonsense. The last "event" I heard about there was a Hellaflush sponsored car show where you parked you whip on the track. That was $35 to enter. :psypop:

I've been to Harris Hill Road as a spectator for a motorcycle track day, but I'm completely unfamiliar with car-track days, who runs them, and how much they cost. I didn't know you could rent Miatas at TWS, but it might be fun to take my MS3 out there some time-- or rent a car that I don't have to drive home afterward...

Is that cart track the one located on the airport grounds?

Back to autocrossing: the UT Austin car club will make trips down to the SA autocross you mentioned, but I didn't realize it was such a bum deal w.r.t. runs and cost.

And as far as people being a little too serious: when I first started autocrossing I had just finished a 300zx brake swap and 5 lug conversion on my 240sx. As a result I bought a set of 17x9 5zigen wheels and was running a 245 series tire. (Probably way too much for a stock engine, but it handled well enough and felt really solid.) I didn't know which class to sign up for so someone stuck me in Dstock with a bunch of ITRs. I had no chance of beating them, and someone still came up and told me that my tires were too wide, but he'd let it go this time.

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

First Time Caller posted:

Im interested in autocrossing my '99 miata. It's got a Hard Dog Hard Bar. Is this SCCA enough to let me on the course or do I need one of the more expensive Hard Dog bars? What's the difference between Solo I and Solo II?

For the second part of your question first, Solo II is autocross, and Solo I is closer to time attack with no other cars on track. That program pretty much died, and the numbering has been dropped. Autocross is now just "Solo"

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

I want to autocross my 96 miata with no bar whatsoever. Will i be ok with a helmet? I honestly dont see flipping as a possible issue, the center of gravity is quite low.

Now, for both of your bar questions that have been somewhat covered before.. You don't have to have any roll bar in an an open top car to autocross with 2 exceptions:

1. You're using a 4 or more point harness.
2. Your car has been modified to a point where it is in a class mandating the use of a roll bar. These are generally only in Prepared and Modified classes (not street prepared or street modified)

c355n4 posted:

Not totally true, NJ state law requires convertibles such as miatas have a rollbar that clears the top of the driver's helmet. So it can vary. Best bet is to ask someone in your local organization.
Huh, Jersey actually regulates motorsports safety.. that's a bit on the different side. Guess i shouldn't be surprised coming from a state that feels you're not competent enough to pump your own gas.

i did glance at the laws they have, and didn't really find any category that clearly laid out autocross, but I'll take your word for it.

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

Ziploc posted:

A lot of our venues are parking lots lined with grass where photographers (and parents from nearby softball games) hangout. I see people (and police!) park along our section of the venue and watch.
Our club tries to be outwardly friendly to the police that stop by... they all get offered a free pass or two if they're interested.

Everyone enjoys seeing the squad take to the course, usually cherries on... and then comparing their times :D

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
I do the occasional autocross but prefer track stuff. There are regular events held on a cycling training circuit here, aside from some scarily-placed trees and kerbs its good fun and a nice change from tight cone runs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN8LKbIM2KY

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
I'm signed up for a track day in April (not the same as autocross, I know) and I was wondering if you more experienced guys had some general tips for beginners. I read somewhere to make sure you take everything that isn't bolted down out of your car and I thought that was something I wouldn't think of until my GPS mount flew out of my window. Anything else you think folks should generally know before taking their car out to the track/course?

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.

Phone posted:

I've been autocrossing for 4 years now and I just got back from the most ridiculous one in a long while. 158 people and a 45-55 second overlap.

Long day is longgggggggggggggggggg
Sup thscc buddy. THat was totally awful. I was in the fourth run group and didn't get home until 8 that night.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

eriddy posted:

I'm signed up for a track day in April (not the same as autocross, I know) and I was wondering if you more experienced guys had some general tips for beginners.

Typically it is a good idea to change your oil and brake shoes beforehand, and bring an extra set of brake shoes to slap on afterward if you're not towing your car there. Make sure you bring enough tools and spare bits to fix whatever might go wrong, especially if the track is farther from your home than a AAA tow would cover.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Raluek posted:

I guess I'll stick to not going to auto-x events then!
Find someone who already goes and co-drive with them. You get a lot of seat time, you get to learn from someone more experienced, and it's not your car so you go faster.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

shane86 posted:

Huh, Jersey actually regulates motorsports safety.. that's a bit on the different side. Guess i shouldn't be surprised coming from a state that feels you're not competent enough to pump your own gas.

i did glance at the laws they have, and didn't really find any category that clearly laid out autocross, but I'll take your word for it.

Yea, its really dumb. I can't find the link offhand; but, I've seen people with convertibles turned away at the events.

They are even mandating the requirement for closed face helmets for the track. Not sure if that extends to auto-x since I stopped doing those a few years back.

These are all NJ State Laws and not SCCA/NASA rules.

*** Edit ***
Found it!
http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/racing_regulations.pdf

13:62-3.6 - Helmet Law
13:62-3.13 - Rollover Protection

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 21, 2011

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

c355n4 posted:

Yea, its really dumb. I can't find the link offhand; but, I've seen people with convertibles turned away at the events.

They are even mandating the requirement for closed face helmets for the track. Not sure if that extends to auto-x since I stopped doing those a few years back.

These are all NJ State Laws and not SCCA/NASA rules.

Aren't closed face helmets a bad thing with airbags? It's just absolutely bizarre that they'd pursue convertibles at events, how could public legislators convince themselves they know race safety better than the SCCA?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

deratomicdog posted:

Sup thscc buddy. THat was totally awful. I was in the fourth run group and didn't get home until 8 that night.

Please tell me you're the guy with the turbo 993 :swoon:

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Phone posted:

Please tell me you're the guy with the turbo 993 :swoon:

Nah I had the black spec v, sorry. My first run was faster than the vipers though :cool:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Dave Inc. posted:

It's just absolutely bizarre that they'd pursue convertibles at events, how could public legislators convince themselves they know X better than X experts?

Good question.

eriddy posted:

I'm signed up for a track day in April (not the same as autocross, I know) and I was wondering if you more experienced guys had some general tips for beginners.

Stay calm, listen to your instructor, and have smooth inputs. Don't worry about speed; take a few looks behind you every so often so you can point by faster drivers.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

kimbo305 posted:

Good question.
:argh:

I somehow managed to write my original question with political blinders on, now I just feel stupid.

Anyway, isn't it the SCCA rule that any car that came stock as a convertible is okay?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Dave Inc. posted:

:argh:

I somehow managed to write my original question with political blinders on, now I just feel stupid.

Anyway, isn't it the SCCA rule that any car that came stock as a convertible is okay?

Yea, NJ has wording for just your case :3

quote:

(b) Factory provided rollover protection (production
vehicles) may be used for promotional and touring events, time
trials, drivers schools, and lapping days providing that the
height of any vehicle occupant (with helmet) is not higher than
the highest point of the factory rollover protection structure.
(c) Convertibles and open vehicles (except motorcycles)
in races and race practices shall have a roll bar or main hoop
extending beyond the head or helmet of any vehicle driver or
instructor. Removable hardtops shall not constitute rollover
protection

We don't even technically allow ride-alongs unless the passenger is an instructor.

eriddy posted:

I'm signed up for a track day in April (not the same as autocross, I know) and I was wondering if you more experienced guys had some general tips for beginners. I read somewhere to make sure you take everything that isn't bolted down out of your car and I thought that was something I wouldn't think of until my GPS mount flew out of my window. Anything else you think folks should generally know before taking their car out to the track/course?

The normal maintenance checks. The following has a good writeup - http://emraracing.org/About/GettingStarted.aspx

Other than that, don't worry about going fast. Enjoy yourself and speed will come with practice. Who is your track day with? Someone should start a track thread.

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 21, 2011

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

c355n4 posted:

*** Edit ***
Found it!
http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/racing_regulations.pdf

13:62-3.6 - Helmet Law
13:62-3.13 - Rollover Protection
Yup, that's the document i found as well... you guys get lumped in as road racing? that's crazy.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

superdylan posted:

I used to autocross with a club in Tucson, and the car safety inspections consisted of one guy asking a few questions:

Does it go when you press to go pedal?
Does it stop when you press the stop pedal?
Do you have a helmet?
Ok, you're good to go.

It's still exactly like that, with the occasional "what is racecar backwards?"

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

deratomicdog posted:

Sup 4th run group THSCC buddy. Black CSP Miata here.

si
Apr 26, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

edit: today I saw 300ZX lose control and go over a curb right before the finish. I think his front bumper was about 5 feet high before it crashed back down. It's the first actual collision with anything that I've seen in 3 years though.

Wow, was this an SCCA event? I've always known them to be pretty strict on following the distance rules of obstacles/barriers/etc to the course. I don't think the course designers or safety stewards at any of the events I've run (St. Louis & Chicago regions) would ever let something like that go.

Anyone get pictures or video of it? Would love to see how (s)he pulled that off.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

How badly am I going to be laughed at if I show up with a 97 sunfire gt? It's a beater, but stick shift and for the most part in good working order. Slave cylinder is leaky, but thats really the only problem.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

TrueChaos posted:

How badly am I going to be laughed at if I show up with a 97 sunfire gt? It's a beater, but stick shift and for the most part in good working order. Slave cylinder is leaky, but thats really the only problem.

Depends on how many of your fellow autocrossers are utter cunts, I suppose. :v:

Seriously, most people don't give a poo poo. Just show up and have fun. Make sure your leaks don't piss all over the course though.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Does anyone know whether I would be able to run my 06 spec v in ST class? I'm going through the rules and it says no limited slip differentials except for "factory standard viscous coupler units". I'm not really sure what those are, would that apply to me?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
^^^ - The helical LSD is similar (or is) a Torsen so you'd have to play in something else, iirc.

TrueChaos posted:

I rode in a J-body yesterday and it was so hilariously bad. I'm not sure what rolled more: the body or the tires.

whiskas
May 30, 2005

TrueChaos posted:

To be honest it's impossible to have a car that's too lovely for autocross.

We have an old 80's BMW racing in our club that burns about a liter of oil per day. It makes more blue smoke than a loving unicorn.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

eriddy posted:

As has been noted, make sure your brake pads and fluid and tires are decently fresh. Some type of tire gauge would be helpful to check pressures when you come off the track, a torque wrench is nice to make sure the wheels are tight, and extra oil might be handy. For yourself, though, bring water. The mental and physical exertion will dehydrate you, and with that goes your concentration. What group are you with, and what track is it on?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

TrueChaos posted:

Postin' weird autocross cars ITT

Handling by ~~LOTUS~~

:siren:TURBO SUNFIRE:siren:

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 22, 2011

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Phone posted:

I rode in a J-body yesterday and it was so hilariously bad. I'm not sure what rolled more: the body or the tires.

:v: I know. I think mine is still on the original suspension (shocks springs struts etc) with ~220km on them. I did put decent tires on it at least (general exclaim UHP's) and what a difference that made on spirited drives.

I guess I've got no excuse not to try it out this summer. Anyone know of ones in the Toronto area? I've found http://solo2.casc.on.ca/index.php but it doesn't have anything listed for this year yet.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

TrueChaos posted:

I guess I've got no excuse not to try it out this summer. Anyone know of ones in the Toronto area? I've found http://solo2.casc.on.ca/index.php but it doesn't have anything listed for this year yet.

Brampton better not be to far from you.

I expect to see you at these:
http://www.hadamotorsport.com/?page_id=3
http://www.wiredmotorsports.com/pitl/ PITL hasn't firmed up their dates OR told us the venue yet. It was also in Brampton last year.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ziploc posted:

Brampton better not be to far from you.

I expect to see you at these:
http://www.hadamotorsport.com/?page_id=3
http://www.wiredmotorsports.com/pitl/ PITL hasn't firmed up their dates OR told us the venue yet. It was also in Brampton last year.

About a half hour, depending on the 401. How are they for loaner helmets / welcoming to new people? I'll def be there. leaning more towards the PITL ones as they're 30$ vs $45.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

TrueChaos posted:

About a half hour, depending on the 401. How are they for loaner helmets / welcoming to new people? I'll def be there. leaning more towards the PITL ones as they're 30$ vs $45.

There are usually about 5 or 6 loaner helmets at either. I relied on them for a year or two without any problems.

I've been doing the 30minute trip from Hamilton for years now. It's not too bad.

I didn't notice that HADA changed their prices. They were 30$ the past 3+ years. Odd. Last year they had organizing/attendance issues. So the year following they raise the entry fee. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

Ziploc posted:

Postin' weird autocross cars ITT

While we're at it, the alternator on my TT failed coincidentally with an autocross weekend. My plans weren't spoiled.

• Locked thread