Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

What is Autocross/AutoX/Solo2?

Autocross is a form of motorsports that emphasizes safe competition and active participation. An autocross is a timed competition where drivers navigate one at a time through a temporary course marked by traffic cones, rather than racing on a track with multiple other cars, as in road racing or oval racing. Autocross tends to place more emphasis on car handling and driver skill than on sheer horsepower, and events typically have many classes which allow almost any vehicle, from economy sedans to purpose-built vehicles, to compete. Speeds are slower in absolute terms when compared to other forms of motorsports, usually not exceeding highway speeds, but the activity level (measured in discrete turns per minute) can be higher than even Formula One due to the large number of elements packed into each course. Autocross courses are typically 40 to 70 seconds in length, with speeds limited to 70mph for insurance purposes. In addition to being a national-level motorsport in its own right, autocrossing is a good way to learn skills that transfer to road racing, as drivers learn vehicle control and club ethics.

Autocross events are usually held in large paved areas like parking lots or airfields. Typically, new courses are created for each event so drivers must learn a new course each time they compete. Prior to driving, a competitor will walk the course, taking mental notes, and developing a strategy to be refined upon subsequent runs. National organizations such as the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) and National Auto Sport Association (NASA) sponsor autocross events throughout the United States, and many areas have independent autocross clubs. Automobile manufacturers and their associated clubs (e.g. the BMW Car Club of America) sometimes hold marque autocross events.

Thanks Wikipedia!

TL/DR version: http://vimeo.com/12067348

Do I want to do it?

Hell yea you do! It’s cheap, fun, approachable, and for all cars. (that won’t roll over when doing emergency maneuvers)

Is it dangerous?

A bit. Though as long as you keep a level head the danger level should be low. Always listen to the radios and organizers.

How do I find them?

That is sometimes the hard part. If you’re lucky, there’s a governing body for your region. You can usually find out about the regional series or club events this way. Google is your friend.

What should I bring?

Must:
  • Money (30$-50$)
  • License
  • Car (duh)

Encouraged:
  • Helmet (though there are usually loners at events)
  • Garbage Bags (for a waterproof way or storing your stuff which double as emergency rain gear)
  • Tire guage
  • Car powered tire pump
  • Basic wrench set (for removing your plates)
  • Painters tape (for covering your plates/making numbers)
  • Chairs
  • Food

Wait, what? Why am I covering/removing my plates?

Photographers! Autocross usually brings out some interesting machines and the events overall are pretty photographer friendly. So you end up with awesome poo poo like this:

Do I need to prepare my car?

If you’re a novice running in a stock (or even modified class) class there typically isn’t much to do before an event. However, there are a number of things you can do once you arrive that can improve your performance.

-Air up your tires. For lowend or all season street tires you can raise their PSI to 37-40PSI in order to stiffen the sidewall of the tire. Finding the right pressures usually takes a few runs to figure out. High performance summer rubber is usually around 35-38PSI due to their already stiff sidewalls.

-Take as much out of your car as you can. This usually incudes jack, spare, trunk carpets, interior mats, and misc everyday stuff. Don’t do what this guy did and go for a fun run (end of day timer-less run) with beer in the trunk…

What should I focus on when I get there?

Learning the course. Walk it at least 2-3 times. When you’re finished walking it you should be able to close your eyes and draw the course in the air with your finger. If you are unsure at all, go for ride alongs if you can. Learning the course early is crucial if you want to be able to focus on improving your time since you typically don’t get a large amount of timed runs

This looks intimidating!

It isn’t actually. Passenger rides are frequent and encouraged. You can ride with others, and others can ride with you. The potential for learning is huge. Go as fast or as slow as you are comfortable with. Follow the rules and you will have a great time.

Surely there is a catch…

Although it’s cheap, you don’t get that much seat time. HPDE (High Performance Drivers Education) days or track days will usually give you the best $/minute racing ratio. Still, the amount of fun you have spending time with fellow car enthusiasts and racing makes the price of entry worth it.

Why did you make a thread for this?

Well, lots of people in AI autocross. It would be nice to have a big thread where we can post our setups, tips, tricks, photos and videos. Plus the summer season will start in a little over a month.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

tonedef131 posted:

I'm thinking about running my totally stock IS300 this season but I'm not sure if tires effect classing. Seems to me they would be one of the biggest categories of modification, is that so?

Tires will sometimes affect classing if you get a race compound tire. My local club gives you a 2% cut off your time if you have street tires but keeps you in the same class. Other local clubs in my area don't do poo poo and let street tires get raped my R-comps. I think SCCA now moves you a class if you use non-stock sized rims as well.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
The likelihood of that happening at a normal autocross event is pretty low since you're usually on flat open asphalt.

Still, accident's happen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMEVj0MIh2E

Stop making it sound like everyone crashes guys. :saddowns:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

IOwnCalculus posted:

We actually had a bad one in AZ a few years back - for some reason they were letting people stand in front of a concrete light post support, and a car lost control and pinned someone against it. I can't remember if the person who got pinned either lost a leg or got killed or what. Bad course design indeed.

I doubt that had anything to do with the organizers.

We frequently have stations at concrete light posts. And I always insist that people stand behind it. But there's always some idiot who thinks he can jump out in time and will stand in between the car and the post.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 13, 2011

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

McMadCow posted:

This is perfect timing for this thread. I'm getting my BMW 2002 as well as our Spec E30 car set up for auto-x this summer. Does anyone do any of the Bay Area events? I know my 2002 is going to be slow as balls, but it's just so fun to drive- I want to take it out for a thrashing.
The Spec car should be plenty fast and we're doing the auto-X to figure out the setup before hitting the track with it. Is this something people do? Or are the two events so different that it's not helpful for that?

As far as I've learned, AutoX and Track setups are pretty different.

For example:
AutoX drivers will disconnect rear swaybars. Sometimes front bars.
Track drivers will stiffen rear bars to keep their cars balanced.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

whiskas posted:

A lot of RWD cars need an aftermarket front sway bar the diameter of an elephant's cock to deal with oversteer at low speeds.

I think you missed a part.

Most courses focus on low speed cornering. Disconnecting a rear sway can help with low speed corner exit traction on a RWD car.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
What, no powersliding MR2/Maxima photos?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I have a really comfy HJC CL-16 which is Snell 2010 which will make it legal for twice as long as Snell 2005 helmets.

It's an entry level helmet too which makes it rather affordable.

Read about it here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/hjc/cl-16/

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I can't say I've had side window problems in my Miata. I have had issues with the helmet hitting the softtop mechanisms though. Which is why I hate when it starts pouring before a run.

That said, wet autocrosses are the best autocrosses.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

kimbo305 posted:

I encourage participation in motorsports, but just watching an autocross is not something I'd consider worth someone's time.

I disagree actually. Depending on the venue it is very spectator friendly.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

kimbo305 posted:

I think most clubs would be willing to let people spectate for free.

Not only that, but spectators here can sign the waiver and ride in cars or free.

A lot of our venues are parking lots lined with grass where photographers (and parents from nearby softball games) hangout. I see people (and police!) park along our section of the venue and watch.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

TrueChaos posted:

How badly am I going to be laughed at if I show up with a 97 sunfire gt? It's a beater, but stick shift and for the most part in good working order. Slave cylinder is leaky, but thats really the only problem.

Postin' weird autocross cars ITT

Handling by ~~LOTUS~~

:siren:TURBO SUNFIRE:siren:

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 22, 2011

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

TrueChaos posted:

I guess I've got no excuse not to try it out this summer. Anyone know of ones in the Toronto area? I've found http://solo2.casc.on.ca/index.php but it doesn't have anything listed for this year yet.

Brampton better not be to far from you.

I expect to see you at these:
http://www.hadamotorsport.com/?page_id=3
http://www.wiredmotorsports.com/pitl/ PITL hasn't firmed up their dates OR told us the venue yet. It was also in Brampton last year.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

TrueChaos posted:

About a half hour, depending on the 401. How are they for loaner helmets / welcoming to new people? I'll def be there. leaning more towards the PITL ones as they're 30$ vs $45.

There are usually about 5 or 6 loaner helmets at either. I relied on them for a year or two without any problems.

I've been doing the 30minute trip from Hamilton for years now. It's not too bad.

I didn't notice that HADA changed their prices. They were 30$ the past 3+ years. Odd. Last year they had organizing/attendance issues. So the year following they raise the entry fee. :psyduck:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

DogDodger posted:

While we're at it, the alternator on my TT failed coincidentally with an autocross weekend. My plans weren't spoiled.

Dude's Porsche 944 Turbo's engine goes splodey.

What does he do?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

NinjaTech posted:

There was also a CRZ that was pretty drat quick. He was 4 seconds behind the fastest time and 4 seconds ahead of me. He said the biggest problem is the battery for the electric motor. If he had a passenger it would cut out at the half way point but if he didn't he could get 3/4 of the way through with out it dying. Overall I was pretty impressed with it. They also look much better in person.

You can nuke a CRZ battery in 50 seconds?? I guess it really doesn't get to much time to recharge.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

soup_ignorant posted:

I'm looking to get started in various motorsports and I want to get a camera system in place. What kind of cameras would be ideal for running permanently on the exterior concealed in the front and rear bumpers? 720p max, fairly rugged, $100-$250 range and smaller the better.

Also, any ideas on a small 4 channel DVR system and power source I can trigger on remotely from the cabin?

Get a Go Pro and get creative. Bumper cameras are kinda boring.

Go crazy with angles man!

If you want a camera for accident insurance this is probably a good start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6icWJiIuLXw

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

FatCow posted:

If you're just getting started you are going to want a camera that watches what your hands are doing. Knowing what you did to cause something that happened is more valuable than just seeing the road in front of you.

This.

Interior cam shots are the most interesting. Second only to close up wheel shots.

BAD HANDS EXAMPLE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sra1aheo774

If you have a FWD and can lift the rear wheel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9st8-Z3jQ8

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Zuiko-Digital posted:

I'm probably gonna be coming out to the HADA next weekend. You guys gonna be there? I don't wanna be a helpless newbie. Going to be driving my Acura 1.6 EL

I should be there. Green Miata with fancyish looking stickers very likely #102. Hit me up to use my camera and mount for an onboard run.

EDIT: This guy:

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 27, 2011

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

TrueChaos posted:

I might, that or/and the PITL one the week after. I'll be the slow guy in a pontiac sunfire. :D

Ziploc, I'd love to use your camera/mount for a run if you're there.

Take a look at my YouTube channel and then tell me if you think I'll say no. :D

http://www.youtube.com/user/SpeedsterGuyCoverage

EDIT: Do a bro a favor and pick a number that's not near #102 to make video-ing easier. :v:

EDIT2: Either of you going to the PITL open house this Saturday? Karting!

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 28, 2011

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Garbage bags. I always have 4 or 5. They are great for waterproof/private way to store your trunk items in the paddock and can also be emergency rain ponchos. (thankfully I have umbrellas)

That reminds me, I gotta pick up some tape.

I've never had to use tools. I have an incomplete super lovely socket set in my trunk I've never had to use. People bum it from me to take off their plates though. I've got a car pump/tire guage you can borrow. Most people there do.

If I remember right, Saturday's lunch is included! Pizza and Samosas Though water/sunscreen is a good idea.

Bring cameras. I need b-roll footage. :v:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
^^ Howed your front mudflaps/fender extensions hold up? I had a friend with a G8 who refused to air up his tires. He ended up grounding the little plastic things around the front wheels due to body roll and sidewall roll.

TrueChaos posted:

E: Ziploc, how long do the events usually last? Like 4pm? 5? 7?

Typically your out around anywhere between 3-5pm depending on turnout, runs, marshal scheduling, and funruns.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

TrueChaos posted:

Ziploc, any chance you could post the run of mine you video'd? I'd love to see it.

Yea. Expect the lot of them uploaded in the next few days to here: http://www.youtube.com/user/SpeedsterGuyCoverage

Phone posted:

Wrong. You're a poo poo driver. Get over it.

Dewd. He was driving a tired Sunfire on it's original suspension pushing all season tires to the ground. (No offence) We also had a small turnout. There wasn't much for him to compete with on an even level. He definitely didn't make a fool of himself.

EDIT: I bet some stickier tires and some nice shocks would go a long way making that car quicker.

Event wasn't that well organized. Weird classes, piles of missclassed cars, unclear run groups, timing issues, the lot. Course was fun as heck though.

I did manage to do the impossible though. I completely blew the bus-stop and I knew it. So I just ran over the exit cone since I didn't have a change of making it through cleanly. (Too much speed) Well the cone got flattened in the chalked box and popped right back up without moving. Organizers called it a clean run. :coal:

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 8, 2011

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Hey GTA Ontario goons! Autocross in Brampton on Saturday!

http://www.wiredmotorsports.com/pitl/

Hey London Ontario goons! Autocross at Delaware speedware on Sunday!

http://wosca.com/Event_info/SummerSeries2011.htm

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

TrueChaos posted:

If I'm not in brockville looking for an apartment I'll be there. :D

Did you make it out?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Beach Bum posted:

If anything, you would be cheered on like a hero (as long as you drive the PISS out of it! If the tires aren't smoking in the corners you're NOT TRYING HARD ENOUGH!)

What this guy said. We had a rusted green Tercel come out on 10 year old winter tires. Guy was a former ice racer and left-foot-braked it so much the pads started blowing smoke. Was awesome.

As long as your there to learn, no one cares how fast you go or what you drive.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Bajaha posted:

Surprisingly, yeah. I think I've gotten smoother since last year which I'm guessing is helping a lot with that :)
Observe the amazing lean I had last year :haw:

Which car were you driving? or were you just watching?

Hahahah that plate.

I have way more body roll than that. I can't figure out why my Miata rolls so drat much. Maybe the surface rust on the rear rollbar is really weakening it.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
On the contrary. Those look rad.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

TrueChaos posted:

Ziploc, any chance you could post the run of mine you video'd? I'd love to see it.

HADA is being a lazy bitch about results, so here's your off course untagged video. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGrwSR1oD9M

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I totally forgot about the kid who tried to jinx me by yelling, "Spin out!" as I launched. :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnf2yATLkp4

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Honestly I'd just work on getting the feel of driving the car hard on tarmac. I know the temptation to mess with the car is a strong one but if you keep changing the behavior of the car that's going to make it harder to learn the feeling of driving it hard. You'll wind making yourself slower in the long run if you try to make the car compensate for your inexperience. Not flaming, it's the case for me and everyone else too.

If the shocks are really old you might replace them but that's about it. A softer suspension is generally a lot more forgiving at the limit as well. Also if you keep two hands on the wheel you'll be able to feel the front tires a lot better and be more able to make precise movements.

Agree completely. Shocks are a very good thing that will improve the cars behavior. They are maintenance items for a reason. They need to be looked after or your performance (and ride quality!) will suffer.

Think about it like a scientific experiment. By removing variables (like the car constantly changing by you throwing upgrades at it) you are better able to gauge your progress as a driver. You are understeering less because YOU learned how to manage your corner entry, or your going faster because you figured out how to exit a corner with a different line that will minimize wheel spin.

Sometimes the best tuning you can do is working on the nut behind the wheel.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

destructo posted:

After a hour and a half of helmet shopping I bought a HJC CL-16 in flat black. Feelin' pretty good about it.

Great helmet. I have a white one. Keeps met slightly cooler in the summer.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Posted my videos from the last AutoX TrueChaos and I were at.

Me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfeie8uSt9w (No my shifts aren't crap, the audio shifts back a hair if I trim the video)

TrueChaos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQP0gl0Knhc

I came first in A-Stock and 13th of ~47 competitors. 4th(!) fastest on street tires. Not bad for a stock Miata.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

ExecuDork posted:

The treasurer of the SSCC autocrosses a Sunfire. He gets it into tripod mode at least once per lap. :iia:

Speaking of tripodding, I got my car up on three wheels too.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Autocross Saturday was a blast. It was on and off rain (which I love since I use the wet runs to go drifting) so my streets (and street tire bonus) helped me move up all the way to 9th of 50 cars. Not really where a stock Miata should be.

My best run: Mazda Miata #102 - PITL #3 2011

Everyone else I recorded that day:

Honda Civic #16 - PITL #3 2011

Chevrolet Cobalt SS #30 - PITL #3 2011

Honda Civic Si #55 - PITL #3 2011

Scion xB #34 - PITL #3 2011

Mazda Miata #77 - PITL #3 2011

Mazda3 #6 - PITL #3 2011

Mazda Miata #10 - PITL #3 2011

Ford Mustang Bullitt #88 - PITL #3 2011

Eagle Talon #68 - PITL #3 2011

Mazdaspeed Protege #85 - PITL #3 2011

MG Rotary Roadster #12 - PITL #3 2011

Toyota Corolla AE86 #13 - PITL #3 2011

Mazda Miata #101 - PITL #3 2011

VW Jetta #2 - PITL #3 2011

Lotus Elise #8 - PITL #3 2011

Toyota MR2 #14 - PITL #3 2011

Subaru Impreza STI #57 - PITL #3 2011

Scion tC #28 - PITL #3 2011

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
There are so many cameras around each event that I've suggested the series motto be, "If you gently caress up, it's probably on camera."

Case and point: https://picasaweb.google.com/clivechan/PITL2011?authkey=Gv1sRgCLq_qdvDw4mODw#5617341184082755586

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Dave Inc. posted:

I really like this slow-mo video though, do you have any more? It's really neat to see the suspension working its rear end off in this, and to me it looks like the rear sways are waaaaaay too strong. Even when the wheel's off the ground there's barely any suspension travel and then it bounces up and down like crazy.

I have a TON. A friend and I have identical Casio FC100s which do half decent slow motion. I've been wondering what to do with all the video. I'll be working on some 'best of slow-mo' videos in the next little while. Lots of hanging wheels, flying cones, lockups, drifts, burnouts. The good stuff.

I'll whore it out again but, this video has a bit of slow-mo in the beginning and some a bit toward the end: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf9FnUigU-w&hd=1

I did a slow motion video of an entire onboard run staring at me while I drove. It's really long but it's amazing to watching my eyes flip from cone to cone and to see how my hands are working in slow motion.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 19, 2011

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Seat Safety Switch posted:

They don't like it when I suddenly scream, miss a turn and run into the curb head first, rolling end over end on the grass. I started wearing rattier t-shirts to reduce the expense, though.

I'm doing this next event.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qi-wHwLMQg

I got a little carried away with the cameras.

On there is a DriftHD, a GoProHD, and an old Sony Cybershot.

Good enough for 9th overall (with a 2% street tire bonus) and best in class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

How do you sync up your videos? Just eyeball it?

Really simply actually.

Get all the cameras going, then clap really loudly once. Look for the audio spike on each track, cut, and line up. Perfect job every time.

• Locked thread