Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

How badly am I going to be laughed at if I show up with a 97 sunfire gt? It's a beater, but stick shift and for the most part in good working order. Slave cylinder is leaky, but thats really the only problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Phone posted:

I rode in a J-body yesterday and it was so hilariously bad. I'm not sure what rolled more: the body or the tires.

:v: I know. I think mine is still on the original suspension (shocks springs struts etc) with ~220km on them. I did put decent tires on it at least (general exclaim UHP's) and what a difference that made on spirited drives.

I guess I've got no excuse not to try it out this summer. Anyone know of ones in the Toronto area? I've found http://solo2.casc.on.ca/index.php but it doesn't have anything listed for this year yet.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ziploc posted:

Brampton better not be to far from you.

I expect to see you at these:
http://www.hadamotorsport.com/?page_id=3
http://www.wiredmotorsports.com/pitl/ PITL hasn't firmed up their dates OR told us the venue yet. It was also in Brampton last year.

About a half hour, depending on the 401. How are they for loaner helmets / welcoming to new people? I'll def be there. leaning more towards the PITL ones as they're 30$ vs $45.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

To be fair, there's one really easy way to take all of that insanity out of it - just drive to have fun. I was hilariously not competitive on Sunday but I had a loving riot doing it. I don't care what class I end up in, I don't care what position I end up in (as long as it's not "in the wall" or "on my roof"), as long as I had fun and my last run was faster than my first, I'm happy.

This is my plan, I'm going to my first one on May 14th. I can't wait.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Zuiko-Digital posted:

I'm probably gonna be coming out to the HADA next weekend. You guys gonna be there? I don't wanna be a helpless newbie. Going to be driving my Acura 1.6 EL

I might, that or/and the PITL one the week after. I'll be the slow guy in a pontiac sunfire. :D

Ziploc, I'd love to use your camera/mount for a run if you're there.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ziploc posted:

Take a look at my YouTube channel and then tell me if you think I'll say no. :D

http://www.youtube.com/user/SpeedsterGuyCoverage

EDIT: Do a bro a favor and pick a number that's not near #102 to make video-ing easier. :v:

I get to pick my number?? :D 15 if I can get it.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ziploc posted:

I should be there. Green Miata with fancyish looking stickers very likely #102. Hit me up to use my camera and mount for an onboard run.

EDIT: This guy:

Okay, so I can't wait. Here's what I've got on my list of stuff to bring so far...

Food
Chair
Painters Tape
Tools? I have no idea what I should bring here...
I don't have a powered pump, but I could bring a bicycle one I guess.

Saturday is supposed to be 18C and sunny :dance:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ziploc posted:

If I remember right, Saturday's lunch is included! Pizza and Samosas Though water/sunscreen is a good idea.

Bring cameras. I need b-roll footage. :v:

Ooo Really? That's awesome! I'll probably bring some food anyway, just in case. I'd completely forgotten about water/sunscreen, and I'll definitely bring a camera.

E: Ziploc, how long do the events usually last? Like 4pm? 5? 7?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Okay, that was awesome. Hopefully I'll be able to come out next weekend as well.

Ziploc, any chance you could post the run of mine you video'd? I'd love to see it.

I placed last, though I wasn't too far behind people in my class. Everyone else there had significantly better vehicles than I did, and it was just a hole tonne of fun. Definitely recommend it to anyone on the fence, if only because of the chance to really just make the tires scream and see how your car performs at the edge.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Phone posted:

Wrong. You're a poo poo driver. Get over it.

I had fun, you're just being an rear end. ;)

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Phone posted:

Having fun is the biggest aspect of it, but please don't blame your car for the reason why you're slow. :D

I wasn't, I meant that as a comment on the kinds of cars that showed up, not as an excuse. It was my first time, I expected to be last/almost last. There were a few people within a half second of me, and my first few times were in the 50-51sec time. I wanted to get into the 47's, and I managed one clean run in the 47's closer to the end of the day. I'm sure I'll do better at the next one!

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ziploc posted:

Hey GTA Ontario goons! Autocross in Brampton on Saturday!

http://www.wiredmotorsports.com/pitl/

If I'm not in brockville looking for an apartment I'll be there. :D

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ziploc posted:

Did you make it out?

Na, was in brockville. I'll be at the one on the 24th if I don't have something needing to get done. I'm moving as of june 1st for work, so I'll be going to the ottawa ones after then XD

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ziploc posted:

HADA is being a lazy bitch about results, so here's your off course untagged video. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGrwSR1oD9M

Awesome, thanks! It was tonnes of fun. I should be at PITL next weekend :D

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Was autoxing yesterday, this time in the miata rather than the old sunfire. What a difference! I improved by 7 seconds from my first to last runs, but man do I need new tires. I was running them at ~23 PSI in the front, 25 in the rear, because anything higher and the fronts wouldn't turn in. I'm pretty sure the sidewalls are the only part of those tires left with any grip... Star Spec's next summer. :D

If anyones in the ottawa area and hasn't heard of motorsports club of ottawa, https://www.mco.org I suggest checking them out. Great group of people, tonnes of events from atuox to lapping at calabogie at pretty good prices overall. They also set me up with one of the guys who instructs for their lap days to help me out, which was awesome. I let him do a run in the miata so I could feel what is should be like; and I managed to get within ~1.5 seconds of his time. Fun day all around, can't wait for the next one :D

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ziploc posted:

What, is everyone's season already over?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STlPK7M092Y

Nope, I'm going to an event in Ottawa in a week. Can we fast forward a week please?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

leyton house posted:

Anybody know of any AutoX's in winter in Ontario?

I just started in the fall(sept-oct., got thrashed but it was fun), and would like to attend more.

Ottawa has some Snow-X and ice racing, but generally you're going to want a team with a lovely beater and good winter tires for that. I don't know of any that actually do winter auto-x though. (http://www.mco.org/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=15&sid=28d70159cf0392e3bc386ba70e621c9f)

Speaking of Ontario - where the heck can I find a helmet? Anyone know anyplace either in Toronto or Ottawa where I could actually try some on? Not something I'd buy without trying it on first.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

So, those of you in southern ontario/toronto area, PITL dates are up.

http://www.wiredmotorsports.com/pitl/seriesinfo.html

I'm bringing my dad to either the first or 2nd one as a birthday present. He's got a few stories of road rallying his old spitfire back in the day, so this should be a great time. And the electrical stuff won't catch fire/release all its magic just 'cause Lucas asked for it back.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

NinjaTech posted:

Well I took my Miata out for it's first autocross on sunday. I did the worst I've ever done. It started out snowing, then freezing rain, then it stopped for awhile, but then when the line started drying out a little during my runs it started pouring again. So the combination of really wet and cold track, and the POS Zexius tires that came with the car, I didn't get a single good run. I could barely use any throttle or else I would break traction. I at least got some fun drifts in at the turn arounds.

Edit: I got 50th overall out of 50 entrants for the day. FML.

This was me on my first event on my old tires in the miata. Don't worry, next event I had a better idea of where my traction limits were, and got in half decent times. ;)

Ziploc posted:

Great! Rematch time!

Hmm? He's never autox'd, and I already know you're going to beat me :v:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

205/50/15's all the way. :cool:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

So, southern ontario goons - first PITL autox next Saturday, who's coming?

I'm also definitely going to be there on the 26th -

Scion + PITL posted:

Saturday, May 26 (PITL Event # 2) will be the Official Scion FR-S test drive day.
All competitors will be able to test drive the all new Scion FR-S on the course during our competition. Additionally, Scion dealers will be out to test drive the FR-S during the lunch break. VIP invitations have been sent out for the Media to participate in the Media Challenge class.

Lots of excitement, fun and Scion give-aways, don’t miss this exciting event.

http://www.wiredmotorsports.com/pitl/

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Sockington posted:

I think I might be able to go, but don't really have tires to burn. :smith:

Are the ones on the miata almost dead, or just not good for auto-x? 'Cause if the answer is just not good for auto-x, come out anyway, just means you'll slide around a bit more than the rest of us.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Sockington posted:

Update: I've been given the go ahead by the wife, so Ontario-AI goon meet?

Then we can all brag how we've beaten the poo poo out of an "exclusive" car in the Toyobaru thread. :smugbert:

For the may 26th one? I'm definitely going to be there, and I'd bet Ziploc will too.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

First autox of the year, wooo! First in my class, only cause Ziploc wasn't competing today.

E: did significantly better after being reminded my options were braking or turning, pick one. Do both at once and plow...

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 5, 2012

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

How not to enter the stop box:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhjNbLMb4is

I can't count the number of people that blew the box though, they had it on a really weird angle. I did that twice before saying gently caress it and braking well beyond the weird angle and juuust managing to stop before the last cone. Thanks to ziploc for the video!

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That stop box scares the poo poo out of me, though it's more because of that curb than the sharp approach angle. I'd probably have started braking well in advance and just pussied the car around the corner and into the stopbox on the right side.

Then again... does your club let you use reverse gear in the stopbox?

I didn't think so, but people were doing it and not getting penalized. No reversing on course, so I have no idea. And a few people just about hit the curb, one guy was sideways within inches of it. Really wasn't a fan of the stop box, but oh well.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Autocross the engineless shell of the 323 with someone pushing if you have to. Answer is always yes.

The answer is always this. My sunfire was hilarious last year, understeered like a pig until you lifted and then weeee snap oversteer! Also every suspension component was in need of replacing, and the amount of flex in the chassis was hilarious. I usually tried to find the heaviest person I could for the passenger seat cause it kept the body roll down a bit. It wasn't competitive at all, but was hilariously fun.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Yeah, the stop box sucked, but the yellow posts aren't so bad. You've gotta be way off course to hit one, though an MGB managed to take one out that day. The curbs are actually pretty far, and you'd have to be trying to hit one. Except the stop box one, which was weird.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

nm posted:

That wasn't an SCCA event was it?

No, I believe it was a CASC event. I'm honestly not sure what PITL is sanctioned by though. I know CASC just uses SCCA rules though.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Sockington posted:

Who says you don't get seat time? I'm about to get 3hrs of seat time just to get to this Scion FR-S day. :3:

8 hundredths of a second. :argh: nicely done. I don't think I've seen someone ebrake turn a miata while slamming (and I mean that in the literal sense of the word, do you hate your transmission?) it into first like that before.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Yeah I'm still not sure how you did that. All my miata runs were before 1:30, and the course was definitely warming up as the day went on. Honestly I kinda wish they'd have let me trade my fr-s run for a late day miata run. Oh well!

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Sockington posted:

Just to clarify, did you hear a grind though? I rev-matched the poo poo out of it at the same time while slowing into the hairpins.
:smugbert:

On the fast run? You ground first twice that I heard. I was marshaling and as you went around the light post all I could hear was the grinding, then it caught and you were away. Then a bit later I heard gears again, and you were the closest car.

Not that that's important, because you beat me regardless of grinding or style or technique... What you did was faster.

Ziploc posted:

Hahah you almost beat all the A mod cars. :lol:

EDIT: Wait, that's a Run #5 list. Not a fastest by class list. So we'll have to wait to see how you actually did against A mod.

I did though. :smug:

I ended up 14th out of 103 entrants. Which isn't bad for a stock Miata with a 2% street tire bonus.

Based on the FTD list you posted sock and I were both faster than 3/4 people in A-mod. :lol: :smugbert:

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 27, 2012

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Waiting on mine... D:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiYBCdz4qCE&feature=plcp

My 2nd fastest run from Saturday, anyone have any tips from the video?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Muffinpox posted:

The only way there should be that much room between you and an apex cone is if you're dancing with it during the high school prom.

:blush: which ones specifically?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Muffinpox posted:

It's a bit hard to tell from your onboard cam being on one side since a lot of which cone to stay tight on is dependent on the next cones coming up and I can't see the right side of your car. Pretty much in any corner there is one cone that will be the last one that affects your turn so you want to make that the cone you get tight in on. You also want to be looking a good corner or two ahead all the time.

You need to be closer to the cone at 7 seconds, 17 seconds (looks like you can run wider at the exit too), 21 seconds, and 23 seconds. The cone at 33 seconds looks like it is the one you want to be tight on and then run wider off the cone at 36 seconds to the next one. At 42 seconds it looks like you should be apexing on that cone and turning right almost immediately after crossing it.

Thanks for the breakdown - I see a bit more what you mean now. I know I was definitely focusing on clean runs that day, as we only got 4 runs in our own car and 1 in the fr-s, but I need to be closer.

FatCow posted:

It also sounds like you do a ton of coasting.

Definitely more than I should, I'm attempting to grow my balls as well as get used to the difference in the grip I have available with the star specs compared to 9 year old Chinese all seasons that would snap oversteer at the hint of anything aggressive.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Had a great day today up in Ottawa, first time AutoX'ing in the pouring rain. Tonnes of fun, learned a lot, and things started clicking near the end of the day. Things I learned:

1) Don't fight the car.
2) Don't fight the car means when it starts to push, don't crank the wheel even more, idiot. If you straighten up slightly and give it a touch of gas it'll grab and the back will rotate around nicely.
3) I'm amazed by the amount of grip start specs have in the wet.
4) It's entirely possible to drive home in the pouring rain with the top down and not get wet.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

The group in Toronto does a 2sec penalty for stop box cones, but if you hit the last cone in the box it's a DNF.

Ottawa club does a slow down box rather than a stop box, but so much as nudge any of the stop box cones and it's a DNF. I prefer this way honestly.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Beach Bum posted:

I ride Hawk HP+ daily, but I am completely unperturbed by their squealing and the dust. They're great for AutoX, I just need to get more tire at this point.

Do you drive them in freezing temperatures? I'm tempted to get a set for the miata, but I daily drive it all year round and would like to be able to brake in the winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Yeah the pads I have now are junk. They'll fade after 15-20 minutes of spirited driving, and it basically has to be wet out if I want to get the abs to engage with star specs. I could get it on all the time with the old all season tires but yeah... Either HP+ or HPS it is. If I have to get a set of pads for winter drivel be it.

• Locked thread