Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Yikes. You don't see many Infinitis at driving events, but that may be a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

eriddy posted:

I'm signed up for a track day in April (not the same as autocross, I know) and I was wondering if you more experienced guys had some general tips for beginners. I read somewhere to make sure you take everything that isn't bolted down out of your car and I thought that was something I wouldn't think of until my GPS mount flew out of my window. Anything else you think folks should generally know before taking their car out to the track/course?

As has been noted, make sure your brake pads and fluid and tires are decently fresh. Some type of tire gauge would be helpful to check pressures when you come off the track, a torque wrench is nice to make sure the wheels are tight, and extra oil might be handy. For yourself, though, bring water. The mental and physical exertion will dehydrate you, and with that goes your concentration. What group are you with, and what track is it on?

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

Ziploc posted:

Postin' weird autocross cars ITT

While we're at it, the alternator on my TT failed coincidentally with an autocross weekend. My plans weren't spoiled.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

FatCow posted:

(All our current sites are airports so this is pretty exciting to us)

Yikes, the local region had an airport event planned in June, but just learned that "[t]he FAA has now mandated that non-aeronautical events will not be permitted on airports." :(

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

CommieGIR posted:

TDI for its first track day at High Plains Raceway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKEEvvJq6TQ

This was bone stock everything. Have now upgraded a lot of parts since then...

Reminds me of this commercial. :) I do dislike your hand placement for most of the run, though. Which group were you with that allowed a handheld camera in the car?

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

CommieGIR posted:

Any suggestions on my hand placement?

There are different schools of thought regarding steering and hand placement. I'm far from an expert, but personally I'm not a fan of shuffling. I'm sure that proponents of either method, though, would say that putting your hand through the wheel (like when you were grabbing the top of the wheel with your palm facing you) is no good. Your arm has a very limited range of movement at that angle, and it something would happen with an airbag or causing the wheels to suddenly change direction you may be opening yourself up to injury.

Like DQS said, sit close enough that you can comfortably keep your hands on the wheel, and keep both hands on the wheel. A handy reference for distance is if you stretch out your arm your wrist can sit on the top of the wheel.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

chem42 posted:

Just woke up at 5:30am on a Sunday to stand in 100 degree heat all day for 5 minutes of driving action :thumbsup:

Have fun, but that's a big reason I mainly do HPDEs now. ;)

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Yep, I agree. Return on investment is lower at an autocross, but so is the total invested. You're right that the risk is also less. I only know of one car being severely damaged at a local autocross: a guy driving his C5 Z06 in its first event lost control, hopped a curb, and flew into a building. Also, for competitive people autocross provides that rush.

I definitely wasn't saying it's not fun, just a personal preference. :)

Edit: And where else could these guys have legal fun? I took these shots at the last local event.

The closest kart track is hours away from here.

DogDodger fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
State Farm as well, but Lockton Affinity has HPDE policies that you can buy per event or annually. You tell them the worth of your car, and they calculate a premium based on that as well as the organization, track, run group, etc.

• Locked thread