Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I've been autocrossing since I was 17. I'm now 23.

There is a lot of Good and a lot of Bad with them.

Good:
  • cheap
  • classing makes it (somewhat) competitive
  • great introduction to motorsports
  • a lot you can learn from driving a stock car

Bad:
  • Autocross guys are either awesome, sperglords, or douche canoes, seriously, I hate my god drat local club so much it isn't even funny
  • increased wear and tear
  • lot of work for ~10 minutes of driving
  • classing can be utterly loving retarded, as SSF has pointed out. I class my car in SM so the sperglords will gently caress off.

Here is an incar video of me autocrossing my lovely subaru:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrNgIzJPX-g

While I have a lot of bad feelings about autocross, it's still great fun and I encourage everyone to get into it; just not take it too seriously. You'll learn a lot about car control and car setup. While autocross frustrates me beyond belief because of how douchy my local club is, I'll still probably hit a few events this season just because it is fun cheap seat time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Does your club actually referee for mods or lack thereof?. When I ran, I don't recall any serious oversight to the self-classing that happened, especially not if people weren't competitive.

In the past people have protested for mods and classing at the drop of a hat. My first event on the final results timesheet online they wrote in the notes column "check for mods" and at the next event my car was looked over pretty good.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Accidents don't happen if the course is designed correctly. Worst thing I've seen was a formula vee hit a curb, but that's because they off-coursed a mile out.

Safety chair should help design the course and walk it to look for potential hazards that people might understeer into or put in elements to burn off speed. Do things right and crashing is a non-issue.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

localized posted:

I assume you are talking about CMC? I went to one event last year, but I didn't run. I've been thinking about participating this year, but I dont really know how I feel about beating on my car/tires that much. What are the class limitations on aftermarket ECUs? My biggest concerns would be being bumped up into a class in which I wouldn't be competitive, and the miniscule amount of seat time you get. One of the biggest problems I have with this state is that there are no roadcourses, just oval tracks...

Yeah, CMC. The car wear and tear isn't that bad, just tires/brakes.

I have no idea about ECU mods. I haven't read the classing rulebook in a long time. I wouldn't really worry about being competitive, PAX is dumb anyways. If you win your class all you get is some golf claps and a little square with "1st" on it. Whoopdy do. Plus to win your class for the year you have to attend a ton of events. Just go and have fun. If I'm at one you're more then welcome to hang out and ride along to get a feel for things before jumping right in.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I did an autocross today.

Oops.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Went around a turn. lovely stock suspension + body roll leaned the cars fender liner on the tire. Fender liner rips off and gets pooped out the side of the car. While that was going on, the dorky mudflap I have on the car got pulled forward onto the wheel by the fender liner, causing the flap and bottom of the outer fender to ride up the wheel crunching up.

I finished my run. :c00l:

Fender looked worse than it was, but I unbolted it and tossed it aside rather than trying to uncrunch it and rehang it.

I honestly don't know how the gently caress I managed to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

nm posted:

Illegal weight reduction. You don't have any spurglords that didn't go crazy over that?

I was running in street mod, friend jokingly threatened to protest me if I beat him, thankfully there were few of us in the class, pretty much my friends and some guy who whoops rear end in his built car who wouldn't give a poo poo about fenderless ol' me. The regulars just sperged about the usual stuff instead of my classing.

• Locked thread