Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Brain Issues posted:

You don't need a roll bar to do SCCA autocross, all you need is a Snell certified helmet, and no fluid leaks and you're good to go.

Not totally true, NJ state law requires convertibles such as miatas have a rollbar that clears the top of the driver's helmet. So it can vary. Best bet is to ask someone in your local organization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

shane86 posted:

Huh, Jersey actually regulates motorsports safety.. that's a bit on the different side. Guess i shouldn't be surprised coming from a state that feels you're not competent enough to pump your own gas.

i did glance at the laws they have, and didn't really find any category that clearly laid out autocross, but I'll take your word for it.

Yea, its really dumb. I can't find the link offhand; but, I've seen people with convertibles turned away at the events.

They are even mandating the requirement for closed face helmets for the track. Not sure if that extends to auto-x since I stopped doing those a few years back.

These are all NJ State Laws and not SCCA/NASA rules.

*** Edit ***
Found it!
http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/racing_regulations.pdf

13:62-3.6 - Helmet Law
13:62-3.13 - Rollover Protection

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 21, 2011

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Dave Inc. posted:

:argh:

I somehow managed to write my original question with political blinders on, now I just feel stupid.

Anyway, isn't it the SCCA rule that any car that came stock as a convertible is okay?

Yea, NJ has wording for just your case :3

quote:

(b) Factory provided rollover protection (production
vehicles) may be used for promotional and touring events, time
trials, drivers schools, and lapping days providing that the
height of any vehicle occupant (with helmet) is not higher than
the highest point of the factory rollover protection structure.
(c) Convertibles and open vehicles (except motorcycles)
in races and race practices shall have a roll bar or main hoop
extending beyond the head or helmet of any vehicle driver or
instructor. Removable hardtops shall not constitute rollover
protection

We don't even technically allow ride-alongs unless the passenger is an instructor.

eriddy posted:

I'm signed up for a track day in April (not the same as autocross, I know) and I was wondering if you more experienced guys had some general tips for beginners. I read somewhere to make sure you take everything that isn't bolted down out of your car and I thought that was something I wouldn't think of until my GPS mount flew out of my window. Anything else you think folks should generally know before taking their car out to the track/course?

The normal maintenance checks. The following has a good writeup - http://emraracing.org/About/GettingStarted.aspx

Other than that, don't worry about going fast. Enjoy yourself and speed will come with practice. Who is your track day with? Someone should start a track thread.

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 21, 2011

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

shodanjr_gr posted:

Weeee, went to my first autox event today at Bremerton Sportsway, hosted by the BSCC. Even though the event had huge attendance, we all got 5 runs in per session. It was an HUGE amount of fun and I'm definetely doing it again and hopefully sucking less.

Below are my findings:
a)BCSS was an extremely welcoming community. Everyone was giving me tips, codriving w me and generally helping me have a blast. Kudos to the 60 yo lady in with the Porsche that let me codrive with her and simply BLASTED through the track. I've never felt physically unable to move from my car seat while driving till that time.

b) Walk the track. Then walk it again. Then walk it 3 more times. Then spend your first run actually finding your way through the track (and your race line) instead of being a :rice: moron like me and trying to go for top speed then missing half the gates on your first two runs and ending with half-century long finish times.

c) Brake early and ease into the turn. My bane today was braking too late in the two 180 turns at the ends of the track and then having to fight the understeer.

d) A subaru outback is a force to be reckoned with on the track if the driver is good. Seriously, this guy was putting dedicated track cars to shame...

e) For the love of god, bring some sunscreen. My arms, head and neck are now a crispy red due to the Washington sun.

f) the GT-AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGG is an absolutely terrifying car on the track.

g) auto-x rules and I am hooked.

When you walk the course. Try to walk your line or what you think the line will be. I pretended to be in my car and walk where I would be driving the car.

• Locked thread