Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Slow is Fast posted:

classing can be utterly loving retarded, as SSF has pointed out. I class my car in SM so the sperglords will gently caress off.

Does your club actually referee for mods or lack thereof?. When I ran, I don't recall any serious oversight to the self-classing that happened, especially not if people weren't competitive.

For anyone who hasn't done it and has wondered what it'd be like to drive your car quickly (fast control, not usually fast speeds), you should try it. It will show you things that you probably won't experience on the street. And it has a small amount of overlap to track driving, which is where you should go if you want to spend more money but get much more seat time.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

angryhampster posted:

Then I shall surely be slowest! :)

If you don't think you'll be competitive, and the club is easy going, I'd just class into whatever group that you feel is right.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lightbulb Out posted:

It really sounds a lot lamer than it really is, when you go and do it you have a lot more fun than one expects.

I know we're trying to get people to try it out, but you have to temper their expectations some. On a good day, you'll get like 4 runs in the morning, 4 in the afternoon. Fewer if the course is long, people gently caress up and cause reruns, or if lots of cars show up.

Still not as bad as rallyx in the winter where you have to stand in snow for hours while all the above delays are happening.

It's absolutely fun, but the thought of driving a couple hours someplace for a shot at a few minutes of driving can get to you.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ToreA55 posted:

It wouldn't hurt to go to one to watch, and ask the organizers, unless you're vehicle is listed in the rules as not allowed by SCCA.

I encourage participation in motorsports, but just watching an autocross is not something I'd consider worth someone's time.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ziploc posted:

I disagree actually. Depending on the venue it is very spectator friendly.

I think most clubs would be willing to let people spectate for free. That's good.
Some elevation over the run area would be good, too, to better see the action.

That said, unless there's some really cool cars out there, watching car nerds whip their cars around a sea of cones can get old over the course of a day.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dave Inc. posted:

It's just absolutely bizarre that they'd pursue convertibles at events, how could public legislators convince themselves they know X better than X experts?

Good question.

eriddy posted:

I'm signed up for a track day in April (not the same as autocross, I know) and I was wondering if you more experienced guys had some general tips for beginners.

Stay calm, listen to your instructor, and have smooth inputs. Don't worry about speed; take a few looks behind you every so often so you can point by faster drivers.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

NinjaTech posted:

There was also a CRZ that was pretty drat quick. He was 4 seconds behind the fastest time and 4 seconds ahead of me. He said the biggest problem is the battery for the electric motor. If he had a passenger it would cut out at the half way point but if he didn't he could get 3/4 of the way through with out it dying. Overall I was pretty impressed with it. They also look much better in person.
Is that the adjusted time or raw?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

NinjaTech posted:

It was raw time. The fastest of the day was a 44.8xx with a Cayman S. The CRZ got 48.8xx. I got a 53.6xx.

drat, must be a tricky course. Every autocross I've been to, the course is straight enough that power is the biggest factor.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Four seconds on a small track is huge gap.

It is huge, but I would imagine a Cayman S would have the power (not to mention handling) to brutalize a CRZ.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ziploc posted:

BAD HANDS EXAMPLE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sra1aheo774
Eeesh, reminds me of:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7N7_YJtYiw

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

_firehawk posted:

Here is what I will be up against in the novice class. G8 is mine.

Fairly murderers' row of novices.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Podothehobbit posted:

And fun times at the Marana track! Apparently the longest and fastest one we've had out there all year.

I am superstar of Yaris racing! :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1sujc5-E60

I really really liked the space and layout of that course.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mutt2jeff posted:

but it cant really hold a candle to the thrill of offroad racing.

Which kind?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Muffinpox posted:

Also the windscreen bounces a lot which I hadn't noticed in earlier tests.

You can probably damp it with some cotton balls and painter's tape, right?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Is the course positioning at fault at all?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB-KBaevPqM&t=35s

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The Locator posted:

This shot is interesting. Look where the guys head is (white helmet).

If this was an older gentleman, as some posts on the internet have indicated, I wouldn't be surprised at all if his back is royally screwed up.

Classic nonsupportive Corvette seats in action :(

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Just picked up the most expensive jacket I've ever bought:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

:argh: frozen solid cones took out my nonfunctional right sidemarker light.

Oh god my horrible chipmunk cheeking. The curse of autox pictures.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mezmerized Machine posted:

With the first even this year coming in March, I'm thinking of buying my own helmet. Anyone know of any good places to buy one online or around Greensboro/Charlotte?

Hmmm, since Z-Max is in Concord, there's gotta be a speed shop around there somewhere, right?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Maybe if you fully blacked out the camera, you could chromakey away the black and overlay your own footage.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ironsights posted:

Before I attend my first event, I won't get laughed out for using a car with a CVT will I? :ohdear:

I've always wanted to learn manual, but never had the opportunity to practice in one.

It's more important that you get out there and have fun and decide if you want to participate than your skills going in.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Voltage posted:

Do you know if that ziptie was imposed on him or if he came prepared with it? My fusebox cover is broken and I imagine I'll get called out at trackday if I don't have it secured. Wonder if it's a common issue on C6s.

quote:

This 944 was trailered to the event, the worst body roll of any car there and on poor tires, looked more like a LeMons car. The Roadmaster wagon towing it would have been more competitive!

I bet it was fun, though.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 8, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I don't like how there's only one layout at the place -- a 3 legged slalom.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Is there a page listing SSF (as it seems to abbreviate when I google) for most cars?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Our regional rallycross uses a hydraulic tube that you lay over the finish, like the ones the DOT uses to measure traffic. Much less finicky than lights when you're slinging rocks and dirt up. Aren't more autox orgs using this as well?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I was told this car was not a chick magnet <:mad:>

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Crustashio posted:

Since there's no honda specific thread, I figured I'd ask here (and get the answers I care about): How do people like their S2000s? I'm having a seriously hard time finding a decent e36 m3 to use as a slalom/track car. There are a few S2000s for sale locally and from what I've seen they make great stock slalom cars.
Make sure you understand the rules governing convertibles.

quote:

I assume it's impossible to take a full set of wheels without a trailer.

Whiskas got one of those hitch T-bars that holds the wheels.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

You Canadian guys started calling it slalom -- is that a regional term?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think Solo I, Solo II, and Rallycross are the branding terms SCCA put on the events that you've described. Solo I being on a track instead of a parking lot.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Muffinpox posted:

I won a hat because we don't run PAX. I mean I had to beat one person but still. It's a hat.

"Sneakily getting into a single-car class is the easiest way to become a winner"
- me, New England 2011 Stock RWD Rallyx Champion

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

I was surprised to see the same super stock C6 vette I used to see running 10+ years ago when I ran my RX-7.

C6? That came out in 2004 as a 2005 model year.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Devens only has one course configuration :/.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

whiskas posted:

The stock setup is just stupidly biased to oversteer.

S2Khrist died for our FWD econobox sins.

• Locked thread