Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
Attended my first AutoX recently. I usually do track events, and it is noticeably cheaper to autocross, but I had more power than I knew what to do with on the course. Each one will be different, but on this particular one, with it's combination of turns and asphalt condition left me struggling with traction, as it kept me in second gear the entire time...
I left thinking one thing though- I'd really like to shift more than the initial first to second while driving hard.

Way2slow fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

whiskas posted:

It really depends on the car you drive. Most cars do a 1-2 shift and that's it.

S2000's are a drat row boat. 90% of my conversation with other S2000 drivers at any given event have to do with when and where to shift. We have about as much torque as a sewing machine, and if we drop out of VTEC we're pretty much as fast as a civic so we gotta work hard to keep it above that 6000rpm sweet spot.

I can understand that, but this little turbo 4 has a lot of torque from 2K->5K, so I'm not needing to shift for power band reasons, I meant with regards to speed- I'd like to be able to go fast enough to get into 3rd gear a couple times. However, based on how autocrosses seem to pan out, that won't be happening. I think this car really either needs Hoosier A6's, or I should just stick to track days.

• Locked thread