Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
This thread made me look into near-by events.

Any goons going to this: http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/frmEventDetail.Show?psevent_id=12063 ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
What's the best way to lookup events in the Seattle area?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Holy crap, there's an auto-x 30 miles away on Sunday! Guess I'm popping my cherry :P

shodanjr_gr fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 1, 2011

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Oxytocin posted:

Slight derail, but are you taking a ferry from downtown or do you live in that area? I've never done the whole ferry thing and was just wondering what time you'd leave at/ how long it takes to get there, etc.

Actually I'm gonna drive around. I got not clue about Ferrys and stuff so I guess I'll just wake up 1 hour earlier to make up for the lost time. The long way around is approximately 70 miles.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Weeee, went to my first autox event today at Bremerton Sportsway, hosted by the BSCC. Even though the event had huge attendance, we all got 5 runs in per session. It was an HUGE amount of fun and I'm definetely doing it again and hopefully sucking less.

Below are my findings:
a)BCSS was an extremely welcoming community. Everyone was giving me tips, codriving w me and generally helping me have a blast. Kudos to the 60 yo lady in with the Porsche that let me codrive with her and simply BLASTED through the track. I've never felt physically unable to move from my car seat while driving till that time.

b) Walk the track. Then walk it again. Then walk it 3 more times. Then spend your first run actually finding your way through the track (and your race line) instead of being a :rice: moron like me and trying to go for top speed then missing half the gates on your first two runs and ending with half-century long finish times.

c) Brake early and ease into the turn. My bane today was braking too late in the two 180 turns at the ends of the track and then having to fight the understeer.

d) A subaru outback is a force to be reckoned with on the track if the driver is good. Seriously, this guy was putting dedicated track cars to shame...

e) For the love of god, bring some sunscreen. My arms, head and neck are now a crispy red due to the Washington sun.

f) the GT-AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGG is an absolutely terrifying car on the track.

g) auto-x rules and I am hooked.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

DogDodger posted:

State Farm as well, but Lockton Affinity has HPDE policies that you can buy per event or annually. You tell them the worth of your car, and they calculate a premium based on that as well as the organization, track, run group, etc.

Out of curiousity, how much do those run for, say, a $40k vehicle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Mezmerized Machine posted:

I bet this comes up a lot, but here it goes.

I've never been in an autocross, never been TO an autocross even, but it looks like a lot of fun and I'm definitely intrigued. There's an event near me happening soon(UNCG Park n Ride) and I'm thinking about going. I'm very nervous, though, and I'm wondering if I could(or should) just go as a spectator to see how it works and talk to some people there about it. Any feedback you have would be appreciated.

I drive a 96 Miata, one of the best autocross machines, or so I'm led to believe.

My only autox experience was basically watching videos on youtube. I just drove to an event in WA while I was interning there, signed a waiver and had a blast. I don't think there's a need to spectate there and while obviously your mileage may vary, I found the people over at Bremerton Sports Car Club to be an extremely welcoming bunch so I felt right at home.

• Locked thread