Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

DogDodger posted:

Yikes, the local region had an airport event planned in June, but just learned that "[t]he FAA has now mandated that non-aeronautical events will not be permitted on airports." :(
Get bigger wings -- problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Autocross "Stock"
Where slick hoosers, $10,000 shock absorbers, and custom one off front sway bars are legal but don't you dare fix a known failure point for pure reliability reasons.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, I run STX but have done about 1/10th of what you can do in STX, and I daily drive on my RS3's thus heatcycling the gently caress out of them.

Rather than trying to be competetive overall, I've basically pegged a few people who tend to run around my time or even people faster than me and try to maintain or shrink the time difference from match to match. If John Doe beat me in his S2000 by 5 seconds last week, I try to land at about 5 seconds or less behind him the next week. That's how I know if I'm doing better or worse rather than "DID I GET FIRST? NO? FAILURE..."
When I lived in Minneapolis, ESP was:
ESP 211 05 Subaru Legacy GT
ESP 609 05 Subaru Legacy GT
ESP 880 06 Subaru WRX
ESP 700 05 Subaru Legacy GT
ESP 626 02 Subaru WRX

All but the last one was a wagon :) All were street tires.
Best class ever.

Then 211 bought an S2000 and ruined everything

nm fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 22, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

shane86 posted:

Zak?
No, but I knew him.
That was the year he was in France.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The Locator posted:

How do you have such an awesome site, with 80 second runs, and yet have a low enough turnout to get in 12 runs while not starting until 11am? Holy crap. We rarely get more than 8 runs (4 comp, 4 time only if you sign up for them) and we have much shorter courses with the first car out by 8:30-8:45, and finish up around 4pm.
Note that sometimes it just comes down to organization and how the event is run.
MOWOG (Minnesota) events tend to do 6 competition runs which are well over a minute in course that allow for it with up to 150 people. Then there are fun runs.
Meanwhile some of the CA clubs struggle to get 3-4 30-40 second runs with similar or less numbers.
The CA clubs even seem to start earlier.
Part of the problem is the asinine morning/afternoon run group system, the lack of a real online registration system, stupid intra-club drama, a lot of "well we've always done it this way"ism, course designs that aren't designed well (why I'm not a safety steward is a long story, and a certain group running off SFR is going to get SFR sued someday when a car takes out a group of "non-particpants"), and some crappy equipment. The last one is a function of money and I get that. The other two are fixable except that the fat old white guys with corvettes (who run everything) like it that way.
The way many of these clubs run events are suited for getting 300 people out for 3 runs. Many of these groups (including even SFR at the end of the season) don't get half or even 1/3 of that and stick to these crazy routines despite that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The Locator posted:

How are MOWOG events organized - run group wise?

We historically run 8 run groups (4 morning, 4 afternoon) designed to allow 3 runs each for 240 entries. Since our attendance is currently down somewhat, we've dropped to 6 run groups and are typically getting 4 runs, and sometimes 5 runs (the last two run groups are time only runs).

I'm certainly interested in finding out how other clubs manage to run more cars through longer courses. I've seen how the Tours and Nationals are run, and I've seen some really laid-back small attendance groups as well as all of the AZ area groups, but new information and systems are always interesting and I'm always interested in learning new stuff.
MOWOG events have 2 run groups. Each run group divided into 2 work groups.
Group 1 runs (3 runs)/ half of group 2 works
Group 2 runs /half of group 1 works
Group 1 runs / half of group 2 works
Group 2 runs / half of group 1 works
No breaks except of course that part you have off.

Large venues can have nearly 2 minute run times with 6 run. The smallest venue is 30-40 seconds with 8 runs.

MOWOG events are capped. 150 at the largest sites, down to 100 at smaller sites, mostly due to lack of grid space. They do online signups (pre-pay) and early in the season, they will fill in 24-48hrs after opening, though they do have signups on the day of the event and claim they have never turned down anyone who has shown up.

One really good thing they do in all but one venue (due to space) is have people park in the grid ahead of time meaning there is no delay in moving cars. This is not possible with 6 or 8 run groups, but with 2, you can have 2 grids and just leave the cars there.
It is a pretty decent system for small to medium size events, and I think the benefits justify limiting event size.
Also, the online setup and all day event means that run groups can be swapped on the fly. If street tire and stock have a lot more sign ups than normal, they can be moved around the make the run groups even.

For SFR, which can have 300 people early in the season, their setup of 6 run groups and 3 runs makes sense.
1 run/3 work
2 run/1 work
3 run/2 work
4 run/6 work
5 run/4 work
6 run/5 work
It does a better job of churning people through work and runs than the MOWOG system.
However, late in the season or smaller areas (Sac, fresno, Empire), signups can be less than 100. That setup or even a modified 4 run group setup sucks. It leads to a shortage of workers in less popular RGs. It also limits the number of runs because of the excess time used in swapping things about.
Don't get me started about tech on grid.
I also think the half-day format cuts down on the camaraderie and what not that makes autocross fun. MOWOG is the most social group of AXers I've participated in. (Fresno is pretty good as well, but with 20-40 people it is hard to not be).

One thing everyone needs is prepaid sign ups where there is a benefit to signing up early. It lets people set up the RGs for maximum efficiency. Of course, a lot of groups still use paper time slips, so good luck with that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Beach Bum posted:

You can't just leave that here with no story. Words. :colbert:
That's just so he can adjust his suspension easier.
I suspect that isn't class legal either.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Illegal weight reduction. You don't have any spurglords that didn't go crazy over that?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The Locator posted:

Thanks. We've never (as a group) been willing to limit attendance artificially, except for specific special events (like if we run on the road course or practice days).

A couple of things you mentioned we certainly do, like online registration and allowing pre-payment.
The good thing about limiting is that you can force people to pre-register and pay without really requiring it.

Annual tech is a great thing. they did that in MN and SFR but not sac or fresno.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Brigdh posted:

A warning as summer approaches: drink lots of water and try to stay in the shade when possible.

We had someone faint yesterday in grid due to heat exhaustion
Also, sun screen.
At least once a season, I'll forget sunscreen (despite the fact that i have it in my autocross box [has my tools, numbers, etc] I take to all events) and that sucks. For like a week after.
I'm going to get skin cancer at the age of 32, don't be like me.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Given that max-q is long since gone, what is a good, cheap datalogger?
Preferably one that works on a smart phone.
edit: This doesn't mean the smart phone needs to do anything but display, I don't want something that just uses the phone's crappy GPS

nm fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 23, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

shane86 posted:

300hp means you've played with boost, which would land you in ESP... but the ALK kills you. prepared :(
ESP has changed a bit in the lats year or two, I think some ALKs could be legal.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Ziploc posted:

There are so many cameras around each event that I've suggested the series motto be, "If you gently caress up, it's probably on camera."

Case and point: https://picasaweb.google.com/clivechan/PITL2011?authkey=Gv1sRgCLq_qdvDw4mODw#5617341184082755586
I've hosed up quite a few times and never gotten a photo. It makes me sad.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Tire Deformation Cam. I really wish I had bigger rims than stock...

In the latter half after the sweeping U-turn, you can really see the tires deform as the back end gets loose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR3XIArR8RY
I wish I'd been able to find 8in wide SSRs instead of my 7.5s, I suspect my tires do this too.

mlmp08 posted:

Lightweight boxy cars tend to do that.
On VW's it is all about the torsen beam.
Light ain't got nothing to do about it

nm
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Mine are 16x6.5 with 225s on them. It leads to bulging and crazy deformation. :stare:
Mine are 225 (225/45/17)s too, so probably not as bad, but I have to put way too much air in them to keep em solid.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

shane86 posted:

You might have been thinking of Electric Vehicles.
Those have an outright blanket ban right now due to the fact the SCCA has no reasonable way of classing them (beyond stock that is).
The Tesla is classed a SS and ASP in the 2011 rulebook

Hybrids are certainly legal.
The Prius is listed in H Stock.
http://www.scca.org/documents/2011%20Tech/2011%20SCCA%20Solo%20Rules.pdf

nm fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 27, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Why is the only auto-x in nor-cal over 100 miles away from me on 4th of July weekend?

Dammit.

(Also, why are auto-xs here always on Sunday? That's my day of rest, like as in I don't want to wake up at 5 am to drive to a site, change tires, run, change tires, go home, go to bed. That is what Saturday is for)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Beach Bum posted:

Besides, when I get home after getting there on Saturday, setting up a course, then help run the event on Sunday, swap tires at both ends, Drive my runs, then pack up the trailer and head home, I rest like a motherfucker. I don't think I've ever slept so good.
I have to wake up before 6am on Mondays. I'd rest like a motherfucker, but I have to get up so drat early.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Phone posted:

That and he got DQ'd along with half of the ITRs on the field due to some gasket around the airbox missing.

That is the problem, they hyper competition. It would be more fun if people cared slightly less about getting a trophy for running around a parking lot fastest.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

shodanjr_gr posted:

Out of curiousity, how much do those run for, say, a $40k vehicle?

About $260
http://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/Default.aspx?cID=3
Closer to $100 for my car, think I may have to start doing this. Very high deductible though, think it is 10%

nm
Jan 28, 2008

kalvick posted:

3) since you are basically racing in a parking lot, if you get into an accident, does insurance see this as a sanctioned race event or kids being assholes in a parking lot? for instance, lets say I damage my car, or hit someone else and I call the insurance company and say I was speeding in the parking lot and hit a car. what happens in these events?
My position is that the only way that an accident happens is either blatant gross negligence on the part of the driver or the course designer and safety steward. (Or maintenance issues, which are different)

The first, the driver is clearly liable. I've seen this once -- a WRX tried to do a slalom at 80+ mph (he was in 3rd) and then instead of going feet in, tried to save it and went through a chain link fence.

As for the second, I've been an SCCA safety steward (and am also an attorney), and the rules for course setup are strict. If you follow those rules, you pretty much have to try to cause an accident. That said, a lot of course designers play extremely fast and loose with these rules. Things I've seen are shocking. This is why I'm not a safety steward anymore, I was sick of arguing with assholes.
In this case, the club is clearly liable, which is why these rules are so loving important as in most cases, failure to follow these rules will lead to a loss of insurance cover. Then the club and organizers will have to pay. The SCCA has deep, deep pockets, so you're getting paid. These are extremely uncommon though, but when one happens and there is serious injury or death (likely of a spectat. . .I mean non-participant), that region is hosed. Waivers are pretty useless when you design courses with obvious problems.
If you design courses, follow the rules, and listen to your safety steward. And for fucks sake, don't direct momentum toward the paddock or "non-participant" area.

nm fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 29, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

shane86 posted:

as a club that used to struggle with this occasionally, it may not be a design problem but a resource issue.. i know a poo poo ton of cones looks like, well, a poo poo ton of cones but there is a finite amount and when you need to setup a course, grid, and have extras for the inevitable car drove off with one at each corner, there may not be enough left over for the wall and pointer cones.
I'd say that MAC does a better job with this than many.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Mezmerized Machine posted:

I went to a local cycle shop today, and the guy pointed me to a Shoei RJ-Platinum R. He said he swears by Shoei, and then proceeded to tell me about his rallycross history, so I'd like to think he knows what he's talking about. It's marked down to $200 which is cheaper than the FR-Cruiser I was looking at, so I may jump on it.

Anyone want to convince me otherwise?
Is it SA2010?

Because Shoei says it is M2005. Means it will expire sooner and if you do track days, you'll need to buy a new helmet.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

TrueChaos posted:

Yeah, the stop box sucked, but the yellow posts aren't so bad. You've gotta be way off course to hit one, though an MGB managed to take one out that day. The curbs are actually pretty far, and you'd have to be trying to hit one. Except the stop box one, which was weird.
That wasn't an SCCA event was it?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Rabble posted:

I thought Autocross was about driving your car around a bunch of traffic cones in a parking lot and looking down on other people because your car is more expensive/modified/faster/lighter/older/newer.

No, no, it is about driving a 20 year-old miata and looking down on owners of expensive cars made in the last decade.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Brigdh posted:

Why recommend HP+? For street and autocross, they are generally dusty, noisy, and overly aggressive (pads and rotors will wear out much faster). With those two things being the focus, and track days being rare, I'd go with the HPS instead.

Because in anything heavier than a Miata (on street tires), HPS won't last a track day.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Crustashio posted:

If it's only an occasional track day, why not swap pads the night before?

That's what I do. Personally whether it is occasional or not, it is the right way to do about it.
Street pads just don't do it on the track if your car is heavier than a feather.
Track pads are dusty and noisy.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

MiniFoo posted:

Oh, are we posting pictures of Mazdas autocrossing?

Ah, DCTC, the autocross course that is nothing like an autocross course. I miss it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

destructo posted:

What, I thought Shane was the only one of us on MNAutox.

I moved to out of MN in 2009. I drove a ESP legacy gt wagon (which doesn't actually narrow down much as there were 3 when I was there)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

G-Mach posted:

I have always been meaning to head over to Minnesota and do a autocross hosted by you guys. However, there are like 6+ different clubs that run autox's in WI so basically every weekend I could just go to a autox somewhere in WI.

Mnautox was better than any autox I've done with any other group. Great sites (except Midway) and great people.

There's a couple of other currnet or former MN auto-xers here.
Goatse Guy ran a GTI, and I swear I've seen a very familiar 330i here (or is that yours?).
One or two others I think.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 3, 2012

nm
Jan 28, 2008

DukAmok posted:

Anyone around the SoCal area? Looking to find somewhere local to learn how to drive a little more aggressively, and then hopefully check out some autocross courses following that. Any recommendations for either schools or tracks?

I too would like to know if anyone is in SoCal. I did a lot of AX in NorCal and Minnesota, but since moving here, I haven't really done much.
CalClub looks like a pain in the rear end -- not only does one seem to need an SCCA membership (which I have), but this whole stupid points card and club thing just seems stupid as hell.
Also, the lack of a PAXed street tire class that allows non stock cars.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Brigdh posted:

I'll state my bias here, I'm safety certified by the SCCA and a member of my local region's board that puts on the Solo events, so I get a "behind the scenes view" of much of what goes into a SCCA event. A few of our board members also run the local BMWCCA chapter, so theres some local collaboration between the two clubs.

I know the insurance details are available to SCCA members on the SCCA.com site behind the member login. I don't know exactly how much of the details are public, so I'm probably going to be a bit vague (and mostly reply from memory instead of looking up the exact details)

As far as I remember, it covers nearly everything. I think it doesn't cover damage done to your own car if you roll or run into a pole (self inflicted or breakdown), but it covers property damage (including, I think, your car if someone else causes the damage), bodily injury of anyone including spectators, and liability. The limits happen to be absurdly high too (multi million). The SCCA also stands by the local clubs if they get sued.

From what I remember, historically the insurance groups have considered all the autox clubs across the US (maybe Canada as well) when determining insurance rates. The SCCA actively works with its insurance carrier to institute policies like the safety certification program to keep rates low, which ends up having a bleed over effect into the non-SCCA clubs, as usually the SCCA is what keeps rates low across the board.

I was a safety steward in SCCA for a while and let it lapse because my region was just a joke when it came to safety. Cars running at each other, cars doing flat out toward "non-participants", braking zones in front of the timing trailer. Then a browbeating from the fat redneck assholes in corvettes who ran the club if you pointed this out. Sacramento SCCA can kiss my rear end. They basically kept losing all their venues too. At some point when they kill someone, they will lose the club too. I didn't want to be responsible.

San Francisco and Fresno SCCA were much better, though in SF you got very few runs, but on awesome courses against the best drivers.
I think the cost was fairly reasonable as long as you were a member.

(MOWOG in Minnesota was still the best) As someone said it is highly regional. If your club is run by assholes, you'll have a bad time.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

FatCow posted:

The rule in every series i can think of is 140tw or higher. Stamping them 200tw from the start wouldn't have changed their eligibility.

The rules are changing.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

MiniFoo posted:

Thought about signing up for the first autox of this season this Saturday, but then remembered I still need to get an alignment and the guy I want to go to will probably be swamped with customers making adjustments beforehand. Also, there's over a hundred participants registered already. No thanks.

MAC will be full early on and they run such a good event you won't notice. MAC runs better events than any SCCA I've been with since moving out west.
Valleyfair events are really good, though the pavement was kind of iffy when I was in MN. Way different than any other events except the ones at that horse track, I'd really recommend if you can get a slot.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

MiniFoo posted:

I did Valleyfair last year and it was really fun. The pavement is really crumbly and does a number on your tires, though. Anyway, the weekend looks like a washout and barely 40 degrees, so I'm glad I opted out.
They still haven't repaved that lot? Must be verging on rally cross.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I kinda want to run my Mazda 2 in H stock next year.
Problem -- they don't make RPF-1s in 15x6 and the only aftermarket wheels in 15x6 ET45 4x100 are either comically expensive ($500/wheel is a joke) or over 15lbs.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The car is saying Wheee!

$800 is better than the $1000 I spent for brake dust encrusted SSR Comps for my legacy.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I would honestly chip into a Kickstarter to find out what a Mazda 2 looks like with 15x10 949 6ULs on it.

I think I might be protested for that. Miata wheels it is!
Do they need any hub centering rings or ?

nm fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 1, 2013

nm
Jan 28, 2008

$240

Now I need to find cheap A6s. poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Phone posted:

drat dude, that was quick. Get them locally? (also check out this link for maximum lol: http://parts.arlingtonmazda.com/products/CAP%2CCENTER-%28-BBS-%29-%28M011%252d37%252d190%29.html )

Yeah, they were on CL.
Also, yeah, don't need center caps that bad.

You just using OEM mazda 2 lugs?

• Locked thread