Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I've only done it a handful of times, but it is a ton of fun. I'm hoping to finally get over being intimidated about wrecking my car.

Some of the rules to get pushed into SM are a little stupid; camber plates are apparently allowed in STX but an anti-lift kit/control arm relocation kit will get you in SM. I've got a pair of bolts that slot into factory holes on the car as well that also shove me into SM. If I were more into competition than just getting more seat time, I'd probably have to remove these.

It's also pretty neat to get home, wait a few days and then find out what goofy face you were making while racing. I found out that I get my pinky out when taking a particularly aggressive corner.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sockington posted:

Two bolts? Where do these go?
They pop into two holes on the rear subframe and fasten it solidly to some captive nuts on the frame (the plastic shielding allows enough 'play' to not immediately strip the threads). They fall under a rule that prevents you from stiffening the subframe artificially by fastening it to the frame with non-factory fasteners; which is probably legitimate because I could see someone hacking together a really stiff subframe and gaining an unfair advantage through cutting and rewelding their car, but it sucks that two little bolts fall under that same category, especially because solid subframe bushings don't seem to.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 13, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Raluek posted:

I guess I'll stick to not going to auto-x events then!
Find someone who already goes and co-drive with them. You get a lot of seat time, you get to learn from someone more experienced, and it's not your car so you go faster.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Beach Bum posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-YCbF15FI4 WALB came out and did a short segment on us at our site in Moultrie
Man, that BMW around the 40 second mark is one hell of a hero. I'd have been two feet in way earlier into that slide.

The local Cantonese news did some coverage of a rallycross event I went to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFRJMuHzL1g

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

blargle posted:

So I just found out there's a bunch of autocross events by my house. I've got a 3rd gen WRX that looks completely stock, but has bilsteins/springs, an ALK, swaybars, about a dozen other suspension bushings upgraded, and about 300 whp. Can I land in D Stock or will they shove me into some ridiculous class? I'm in no way a competitive driver, so I'd rather sneak into the slowest class possible.
I went out for my first run with a new group on Sunday, went out with Street Modified because of my subframe lock bolts, and ended up dead last in PAX (3rd last in raw timing - I am still learning to use that right pedal). I still had a blast and knocked 15 seconds off my time between the first and last runs.

Almost nobody cares, and the people who do care respected that I read the rulebook. You are in SM because of the ALK; otherwise you would probably be in one of the SP groups because of changing your boost levels.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

c355n4 posted:

When you walk the course. Try to walk your line or what you think the line will be. I pretended to be in my car and walk where I would be driving the car.
They don't like it when I suddenly scream, miss a turn and run into the curb head first, rolling end over end on the grass. I started wearing rattier t-shirts to reduce the expense, though.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 5, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
One of the faster autox guys here bombed the slalom heading up to the stop box on Saturday, grabbed a cone under the front lip of his car and fired it at the timing gear, knocking it over.

It was actually really impressive to watch.

At the same event, I discovered the Hankook Mileage Plus II tires that came with my Outback Sport basically give you no indication of when they're going to give up traction because they never stop squealing and only the shoulder and sidewall ever get warm. I've never had tires squeal at half throttle before. I should've swapped on the RS3s from the WRX I usually run with.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 23, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Mine is. I went out rallycrossing instead.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That Volvo looks familiar... has he run it in Edmonton?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

Pretty sure he's from Edmonton. About half of the people at SSIS were from out of town - Calgary, Edmonton, and Regina.

I heard it has a 5.0 Mustang engine in it, certainly it doesn't sound like a Volvo, and he posted pretty good times for a fishtailing brick (he beat me, but so did everyone who didn't go off-course).
That's him. I've only seen him run once but the drive to E-town for eight runs is a little much to ask.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
They explain this to us in the drivers' meeting and I'm pretty sure it's an SCCA thing and not just local boogeyman speak, but if you wreck at the event, push the corpse out onto the street, claim insurance and the event organizers find out the locals have stated that you will be banned from North American events/reported to your insurance company and it has happened in the past.

Many clubs have loaner helmets available for use, though you might have to fight for or adopt a strange run schedule as a result of sharing those helmets with other people. If you end up liking it, a compliant helmet is very inexpensive. I use a closed-face Snell SA2010 but each club may choose to grandfather in significantly older helmets that are still reasonably safe.

Crashing is very rare, though I've seen it happen (first time in 10+ years apparently). Follow the organizers' guidelines and listen to the marshals and you'll be fine and have a fun day. Do it, it's a hoot.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 29, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
TSDs are pretty hardcore. I'm not confident enough yet in either my driving or navigation/calculation skills to put myself in either front seat of a TSD car, though. :(

Kudos on doing it in a Saab. Do they divide your TSDs into multiple classes depending on calculation method? If so, where did you end up with a GPS?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 11, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I wish I had better pictures of our rallycross cones exploding in -20'C weather. We lost so many last year that a lot of them are just orange mudflap material folded into a cone and ziptied to a shattered cone's intact base.

We have a lot of autocross cones with burned scars in them from being dragged under hot exhaust or along the asphalt as well. Stupid bastards just can't figure out how to stay out of the way.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Ziploc posted:

I've seen course designers who could make their course more readable. A few leaners/cone walls go a long way in preventing lost cattle.
We ended up picking up a bunch of green cones this year to use for pointer cones. The visual contrast really does work, as does "doubling up" the cones if you have a loop element that you hit more than once during the event (one cone for first time, two cones for second time).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Depending on the venue, we already have cones there (it's in the boonies, no one will steal them) or we bring them in a pickup truck or the timing van.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You did pretty well. If you had stayed you probably would have won one of the prizes for "most consistent!"

Feel free to come back anytime for autocross or ice autocross, which we like to call "July."

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

whiskas posted:

Guess there's nothing left but to autocross on parking lots until one of the many rumors of a nearby track materializes.
Apparently the organizers are looking at new venues for rallycross, etc. I regret that I never really got a chance to run on the full track at RCMP; closest I got was riding along on a drag race pull at Secret Street and helping wrench at Chump Car.

At the first rallycross event this year they were dismantling the floodlights and timing board as we were competing. About halfway through one of the maintenance workers tried to run the quarter in his work truck, which was hilarious.

I'm surprised more people didn't come out to say goodbye to Race City. Here's my car turning its back on it:

I guess there's always Stratotech if I feel like a track day or two. There's also a handful of podunk drag strips around Southern Alberta that I'm surprised nobody has approached about being converted to a full course, since surely they've already done all the work of cleaning up NIMBYism.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I would imagine you could at least go and do ride-alongs and some volunteering if you want. I learn more on ride-alongs than actually driving my own car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Our local rallycross events no longer allow you to run with a motorcycle helmet either. It has to be SA.

Might not be the case with your local events, but it's possible.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CatBus posted:

Is there anything else you would suggest (aside from tires, since I'm not going to spring for those)?
Brake fade is not a dominant concern at autocross events; in fact, there have been some National level competitors who have drilled their own brake rotors to reduce unsprung weight. Bleed and replace the brake fluid to improve feel and make sure that your other essential fluids are up to date (primarily motor oil and coolant, but also gear oil).

As Sock said, it's worthwhile throwing some bushings at the car. If you have the right tools and werewithal, replacing the trailing arm bushings is frequently recommended for Z32 300ZXes. It doesn't matter what you replace the bushings with, but availability might be a big problem - often older Japanese cars don't have kits for a specific application, in which case you'll want to measure the existing bushings and then use something like the Whiteline "find by size" tool to find an interchangeable bushing from another car's kit.

Weight reduction will always make the car more entertaining; road noise and discomfort will increase but it doesn't go along with keeping the car stock. Even a stock car benefits from having the spare tire, tools, etc removed before an event, however, though usually I just drive there and then take everything out and dump it in a pile.

Obviously the most important thing is to make sure you pass your local events' safety inspection. If your series allows self-tech, you should still do it to make sure everything is legit. You'd be surprised at how fast a badly torqued wheel or slightly wonky wheel bearing can go wrong.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 5, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I really like that they changed the stock rules this year to allow rear sway bars. If we hadn't just lost our only local autocross venue I'd have given some serious consideration to running my beater in H-stock.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Subframe lock bolts kick you to SM at the very least, and the anti-lift kit kicks you further out. I haven't looked too closely at the rulebook locally as I've only gotten to run one event with the ALK. You're probably in some kind of prepared class.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 6, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That stop box scares the poo poo out of me, though it's more because of that curb than the sharp approach angle. I'd probably have started braking well in advance and just pussied the car around the corner and into the stopbox on the right side.

Then again... does your club let you use reverse gear in the stopbox?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Star Specs are definitely not all weather tires. :)

I can't suggest an all-season tire from experience. Hankook apparently makes a few all-season Ventuses though. I took a Hankook low-rolling-resistance "fuel max" tire out on autocross a few times and it basically just screams the entire time while making sad looking grease spots on the tarmac. My OEM RE92s fared a little better but also gave up pretty early into the day.

edit: Whoops, saw "all-season" and forgot you actually do have separate winter tires.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 30, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I order my tires from Tire Rack and have them shipped to the Montana Shipping Outlet warehouse to hold them until I can boogie down to the border and bring them across. It's not that bad of a drive from Southern Alberta and it saves a lot of money even after the gas & time (especially considering UPS charges bullshit brokerage fees). While I'm there I also get to read Ronald Reagan quotes and check out posters about how great Montana is.

Not sure if there's a similar service along your border but I wouldn't be surprised.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 31, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

The timing light boxes are notorious for causing damage to cars that hit them, not for getting damaged. One says "I love RX-7" on it because a couple of years ago an RX-7 cracked the radiator missing the stop box and dumped all of its coolant. The timing light was fine.
Jesus. What kind of timing lights are you using? I think we had one set take a bumper-punt once and it broke the reflector box after road-rashing the sender. The current set has had a variety of airborne escapades thanks to certain individuals who shall remain nameless.

We not only disallow reverse gear but we also get upset if any part of your car breaks the invisible line between cones forming the box (as guys have tried 300-point turns to get out after ending copiously backwards in the box). Usually we also have an unsuspecting volunteer manning the "exit" cone, who removes it once they're convinced you've stopped and tells you your time. The explanation is that autocross is about precision driving, and it doesn't matter how fast you are if you can't keep the car under control.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 5, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

Is that why they clap that board in front of the camera on movie sets? To sync cameras?
Oh poo poo, I never thought about it that way before.

The things AI teaches you (that aren't about the extreme ability of humans to withstand endless projects).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

G-Mach posted:

My clubs last autocross of the season is this weekend and then after that is rally-x season until the ice forms. Our rally-x's are usually done with $300 beater cars, but sadly craigslist has been pretty barren of those lately.
Buy a $1000 car and sell off expensive parts that normal people want. Like headliners. Interior. Dome lights.

Windows.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, I scrubbed the shoulder off a set of tires on one side by neglecting to put the air pressure up before a run. It's even more important if you have a heavier car like me or steer too much also like me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Camber adjustment is pretty huge for Subarus as well, as are rear swaybars (which were only allowed in stock very recently).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
What pressure were you running that tire at? It sounds like when I cooked the outside edges of both my front RS3s running too low of a pressure on a hot day.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

User Error posted:

Cripes, I run a 225 on a 7.5" wheel and it fits just about right. I'd say that's a part of your problem.

Yeah, my 225 RS3s flap around like a used condom on a 17x7 wheel. So I went out and bought a car that has 225 RS3s on a 15x9 wheel.

Jesus, I have some hosed up priorities tire-wise.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
He's right, you know.

Exciting angle though, sounds great.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

G-Mach posted:

Apparently the new Rivals are having thread splice issues already.

On what cars? I really think the Rival would be a good upgrade path from my RS3s when my vaporization of them is complete.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I would honestly chip into a Kickstarter to find out what a Mazda 2 looks like with 15x10 949 6ULs on it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

si posted:

$500/cone? Wow, the SCCA would suddenly be rich and/or corner workers would be very, very bored.

I can't even imagine what it would be like to spin and hit a cone wall.

Even clocking our timing gear is only a $100 hit.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Our event insurance specifically excludes drifting so if you make it look like a drift event they'll probably demand to choke the life out of you.

That said, a healthy bit of slip angle is never something that we raise an eyebrow at - seen some young bucks seriously overdrive their cars and people didn't freak out even after they had slid over a curb and into a fence.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

shoophobo posted:

Also I took a look at the Attendee List, which featured Miatas, Porsches, Nissan Z's, GT-R's and BMWs. Is this typical for a Novice event? I don't really care about wining or anything, just want some weekend fun, but I was expecting Civics and Camrys, not GT-R's and Porsches.

People with Camries and Civics are probably unlikely to self-select themselves for an event with their car that's more stimulating than "drool on myself while texting."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Ziploc posted:

This poo poo is why I stay in stock.

(That, and the fact that my car is rusty as poo poo and I'm not putting money into it.)

Rust puts you in XP as non-factory chassis weight reduction. As a fellow Street class Miata owner, I protest.

• Locked thread