Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shane86
Aug 7, 2008
Hooray! An autox thread!

I'll go ahead and throw in here, I'm a massive cone dodger.
Currently driving my 04 WRX in STX, done some national tour and divisional events, and took her to two years running. If you haven't made the pilgrimage to Lincoln, do it... even for a National Tour or Prosolo. LAP is ridiculously huge.

Obligitory autox photo (Nats '10, West Course)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

whiskas posted:

I would recommend an open face if you don't have a convertible. It gets hot as balls in a full face helmet, and the open air of a convertible is the only thing that cools it down.

The problem I find with full face helmets is that you have an extra few inches of helmet hanging off the front of your face. So if you turn your head to look out your driver side window (something that you should be doing if you look ahead as you drive), then your helmet smacks into the window

I opted for the full face so i could run with a really dark tinted visor... i really don't like wearing sunglasses with my helmets on.. But an open face is considerably cooler. that being said, the more expensive closed face ones have much better venting.

What kind of car are you driving that your face is that close to the window?

HachiGo posted:

Any suggestions for a really thin/low profile helmet?

My head is practically touching the roof already, I don't know how I could fit with some of the helmets I've tried on.

you really aren't going to find one that will meet most sanctioning body's rules. Snell M2000 is current SCCA minimum, which dictates a certain level of padding, and resistance to multiple impacts.

I do know where your coming from though, car hopping while instructing or fitting into a miata generally sucks for me (long toroso), but generally you just have to move the seat around to get the needed clearance.

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Some of the rules to get pushed into SM are a little stupid; camber plates are apparently allowed in STX but an anti-lift kit/control arm relocation kit will get you in SM. I've got a pair of bolts that slot into factory holes on the car as well that also shove me into SM. If I were more into competition than just getting more seat time, I'd probably have to remove these.
As a fellow suby guy, i know what you mean. But, having two friends on the rules board and many post event drunken arguments with them have made me understand alot more where the SCCA has to come from with rules.

just imagine how ridiculous you could get with unlimited funds, access to a machine shop and a team of engineers at your disposal with a rule set that allowed you to relocate a suspension mounting point. it can get insane. a trip to nats shows you that these people exist, and will exploit any rule to the limit of interpretation to get that little bit of edge on the next guy.

now, even the SCCA says in the rule book that the rules are for national events and that local regions are not only allowed, but encouraged to create more classes and loosen classing in the name of participation and enjoyment.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's also pretty neat to get home, wait a few days and then find out what goofy face you were making while racing. I found out that I get my pinky out when taking a particularly aggressive corner.
This is the other reason, I have a full face helmet with a dark shield.

Sorry if I'm thread whoring, our overnight guy quit suddenly last week, and i got tagged to take his shift this week... so bored.

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

Way2slow posted:

Attended my first AutoX recently. I usually do track events, and it is noticeably cheaper to autocross, but I had more power than I knew what to do with on the course. Each one will be different, but on this particular one, with it's combination of turns and asphalt condition left me struggling with traction, as it kept me in second gear the entire time...
I left thinking one thing though- I'd really like to shift more than the initial first to second while driving hard.

the only shift being the 1-2 is pretty common in autocross. even most of the big nationals events will be a single shift, as the common goal in autocross course design will be to make the course fast and flowing enough not to necessitate a downshift but slow enough to keep you in second. hitting 3rd in something with doors that work is a very very rare occurrence.

most stock cars, top of second being 60-69mph is pretty much the range considered safe at most autocross venues or just space constrained.

as for traction... that's just part of the challenge.

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

First Time Caller posted:

Im interested in autocrossing my '99 miata. It's got a Hard Dog Hard Bar. Is this SCCA enough to let me on the course or do I need one of the more expensive Hard Dog bars? What's the difference between Solo I and Solo II?

For the second part of your question first, Solo II is autocross, and Solo I is closer to time attack with no other cars on track. That program pretty much died, and the numbering has been dropped. Autocross is now just "Solo"

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

I want to autocross my 96 miata with no bar whatsoever. Will i be ok with a helmet? I honestly dont see flipping as a possible issue, the center of gravity is quite low.

Now, for both of your bar questions that have been somewhat covered before.. You don't have to have any roll bar in an an open top car to autocross with 2 exceptions:

1. You're using a 4 or more point harness.
2. Your car has been modified to a point where it is in a class mandating the use of a roll bar. These are generally only in Prepared and Modified classes (not street prepared or street modified)

c355n4 posted:

Not totally true, NJ state law requires convertibles such as miatas have a rollbar that clears the top of the driver's helmet. So it can vary. Best bet is to ask someone in your local organization.
Huh, Jersey actually regulates motorsports safety.. that's a bit on the different side. Guess i shouldn't be surprised coming from a state that feels you're not competent enough to pump your own gas.

i did glance at the laws they have, and didn't really find any category that clearly laid out autocross, but I'll take your word for it.

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

Ziploc posted:

A lot of our venues are parking lots lined with grass where photographers (and parents from nearby softball games) hangout. I see people (and police!) park along our section of the venue and watch.
Our club tries to be outwardly friendly to the police that stop by... they all get offered a free pass or two if they're interested.

Everyone enjoys seeing the squad take to the course, usually cherries on... and then comparing their times :D

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

c355n4 posted:

*** Edit ***
Found it!
http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/racing_regulations.pdf

13:62-3.6 - Helmet Law
13:62-3.13 - Rollover Protection
Yup, that's the document i found as well... you guys get lumped in as road racing? that's crazy.

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

deratomicdog posted:

What do ya'll think would be better? Smaller, lightweight wheels with a higher sidewall, or larger wheels with a small sidewall? I'd really like to get some dedicated wheels/tires as my next upgrade.

You need to look more at what tires are available for the car.
Trying to run a 245 on my WRX, i'd love to get some superlight 16"s or even 15"s, but no one makes a 245 for a 15" wheel.. at least nothing decent.

Unless the car came with something big in the first place (17"+), i generally say go with 1" bigger wheel to take some sidewall out of it as long as the tires are there.

Sidewall isn't exactly a bad thing... i've seen 18"s with a 35 profile tire practically peeling off the rim under heavy load. more sidewall will let you play with pressures more.

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Eeesh, reminds me of:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7N7_YJtYiw

Loud tire noises means i'm doing it right, right?
Clearly that V6 accord is a canyon carver compared to my STI...

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

nm posted:

When I lived in Minneapolis, ESP was:

Zak?

shane86
Aug 7, 2008
Any goons going to the ProSolo/National Tour event in Lincoln, NE at the end of the month? 4-Days of Autocrossin' on a huge lot with a great surface.. Can't wait :D

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

destructo posted:

First autocross, was 2nd/50 @ 0.1 sec behind FTD which was set with a 2011 Boxter. Then an instructor took my car and rolled a time 2 seconds under that, so I think I'll be doing more events :D

IT WAS A NOVICE EVENT :v: and I expect fully to be on the bottom of whatever I get classed into whenever they kick me out of novice

Glad you had a good time! I think that's one of my shots too?
You had some good lines, and definitely no fear of the throttle...

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

blargle posted:

So I just found out there's a bunch of autocross events by my house. I've got a 3rd gen WRX that looks completely stock, but has bilsteins/springs, an ALK, swaybars, about a dozen other suspension bushings upgraded, and about 300 whp. Can I land in D Stock or will they shove me into some ridiculous class? I'm in no way a competitive driver, so I'd rather sneak into the slowest class possible.

300hp means you've played with boost, which would land you in ESP... but the ALK kills you. prepared :(

shane86
Aug 7, 2008
There's two types of ALK for the WRX, the bushing, and the full kit.
The Bushing pushes into the existing housing that bolts to the chassis, and this is legal for classes as low as ST. usually you'll only get .5 degree out it. not much, but helpful

The full kit replaces the housing that bolts to the chassis, and has dramatic differences to the caster of the car, sometimes adding upwards of 2 degrees of caster. this is the one that's a big no-no.

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

destructo posted:

Whoa! Yep, it's one of yours (thanks for the pictures, by the way :D ). Definitely see you around, going to any upcoming events?

I'll be at all the MOWOG events, cheif of timing and all..
I haven't decided if i want to run the PCA/COM event next weekend or not.

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

I was the only person with a camera (besides cell phones) at the last two events I went to. There were a couple of GoPros, and I have a crappy ebay camcorder bolted to my parcel shelf, but otherwise almost nobody takes any pictures, either stills or video. :(

That's kinda sad really.. Our local events get usually 2-3 amateur photographers snapping away (myself included).

Here's a few of my favorites from last weekend's MOWOG 3 event that i shot:

only minimal color and exposure correction with photoshop, the rest are in the album:
http://bruteforcephoto.com/index.php/2011/mowog_3

shane86 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 21, 2011

shane86
Aug 7, 2008
I wish I knew where the photo is, I'm sure i can find it later... a couple of guys locally went down to, I think Peru national tour, a couple years back in a DSP E36 BMW.

Neal Tovsen drove the hell out of that thing, and put it up on two wheels.. there's a picture with at least a foot between the lowest wheel and the ground.

They nicknamed the maneuver "Bicycling"

That particular M3 pictured though... in that section it's fairly uphill. one of the sites we use is a driver's training course with all kinds of elevation, and even a little banking.

EDIT:
Found it!

Not my photo (wish it was). Link: https://picasaweb.google.com/Simi.Ritch/2009PeruNationalTourJuly45th#5355353016250298994

shane86 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 18, 2011

shane86
Aug 7, 2008
ENVY!
I've seen this beast at a few national events over the past few years... this thing is AWESOME!

shane86
Aug 7, 2008
Blanket Banned? really?
Locally we had some parents of a regular start playing with their 2nd gen prius... no problems at all. That being said, we're not an SCCA club, so we do carry different insurance and provisional rules.

Then they got hooked and bought a Z4 :D

Check with your local region.. but i don't see any reason they'd have a problem with it.

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

FatCow posted:

Looks like it isn't in this years rule book. I could have sworn I saw it last year though. If it was there I would imagine the issue being with the HV electrical system not general courseworthyness.

You might have been thinking of Electric Vehicles.
Those have an outright blanket ban right now due to the fact the SCCA has no reasonable way of classing them (beyond stock that is).

i have a friend on the PAC (Prepared Advisory Comity) and they had an interesting concern if someone had gone completely crazy with an EV build, just enough batt to get through 2 runs, etc.. it would entirely bypass all current competition rules, as they're based on displacement/weight at their basis across the board.

How do you factor no displacement in a more displacement=more weight classing system?

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

shodanjr_gr posted:

Weeee, went to my first autox event today at Bremerton Sportsway, hosted by the BSCC. Even though the event had huge attendance, we all got 5 runs in per session. It was an HUGE amount of fun and I'm definetely doing it again and hopefully sucking less.

A) Most autocross groups are very welcoming communities. it kind of goes with sport, being so social in nature.

B) This is true. But at big events where you can have upwards of nearly 3 days to walk the course... you can easily start to over think things. If you can, walk with someone who's more experienced and talk to them. they'll have plenty of insight on how to take each element... but don't push. I need at least one walk to myself to really think about my own line.

C) "Slow in, Fast out" is the motto.

D) Just about any car is a force to be reckoned with when you have an excellent driver behind the wheel. Oddball cars just make it that much more apparent/awesome :D

E) hat too... keeps the sun off your face, and your helmet hair out of pictures

G) Welcome to the addiction, it's all downhill from here :D

shane86
Aug 7, 2008
Is anyone else going to nats? Early registration discount ends on Friday...

if you haven't been.. imagine 1200 AI goons in the middle of an airfield autocrossing on some of the best courses you've ever driven. Much booze is consumed, and much Four Square is played.

Did i mention it's a week long? and the welcome dinner is held in speedway's motorsports museum? yeah, it's pretty awesome if you're a cone dodger.

shane86 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 23, 2011

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

Phone posted:

The idea of it is fun and I'd love to go, but a guy locally drove his ITR a few years ago and brought 21 wheels with A6s on them. gently caress that.

That and he got DQ'd along with half of the ITRs on the field due to some gasket around the airbox missing.

I was there that year, They DSQed the ITRs over that? i thought they threatened it but then gave a group "just don't do it next year"

Some people come crazy equipped, and others just pull a run-what-you-brung kinda event. My car's still a somewhat under prepped, and i'm not sure i'll have the budget for fresh tires and the event... i'm going anyway for the fun.

and on that note, ITRs are ridiculous to make nationally competitive. they EAT tires like crazy to be fast. 21 wheels is overboard though.

nm posted:

That is the problem, they hyper competition. It would be more fun if people cared slightly less about getting a trophy for running around a parking lot fastest.

People think that, but unless your in the trophies or really close, or just plain blatantly breaking the rules, you won't see much bullshit.

The ITR gasket thing was because i believe 2nd place was an ITR. Basically a K&N or other popular aftermarket air filter wouldn't fit with the foam around the edges of the air box in place. Stock class is supposed to be unmodified cars. if you can't make the filter fit without modifying any parts, it's not a legal filter.

Problem on that one was when a protest like that comes down the line, especially in stock classes where modifications are pretty uniform, they start to look at other cars for reference

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

Ziploc posted:

I've seen course designers who could make their course more readable. A few leaners/cone walls go a long way in preventing lost cattle.

as a club that used to struggle with this occasionally, it may not be a design problem but a resource issue.. i know a poo poo ton of cones looks like, well, a poo poo ton of cones but there is a finite amount and when you need to setup a course, grid, and have extras for the inevitable car drove off with one at each corner, there may not be enough left over for the wall and pointer cones.

and it's not just budget.. but transport. unless your local club has a good sized truck or trailer setup, carrying a poo poo ton of cones is tricky.

shane86
Aug 7, 2008
So, any goons going to be at Nats this week?
I'm hitting the road in the morning

shane86
Aug 7, 2008
Thanks.. first runs are over for STX.. I got stomped.. 42nd. My Co driver and another local guy are right in front of me over less than 3 tenths.

Hopefully I can make up some time and positions tomorrow morning.

I'm 182 STX if anyone is watching the solo live stuff.

shane86
Aug 7, 2008
Nope, sadly I didn't make any tour events this year, just the central divisional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shane86
Aug 7, 2008
Ahhh.. the joys of a new tire year and the frantic speculation of "what's the best tire" before the season starts.

I'm just a silly Dunlop fanboy, so the new Star Specs will be going on the Z in a few months.

• Locked thread